• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Alone Together

How long have I been walking? In all honesty, Josie wasn't sure. She hadn't bothered to keep track of the days, but she must have been away from home for at least a week now. It felt like much longer, her aching feet and shivering body screaming that she had been alone in the wilderness for months, though her mind repeatedly reminded her that it didn't logically make sense for her to have been gone for that long. She'd have died due to dehydration, or maybe even starved, long ago if that was the case. She'd run out of money far faster than she thought she would, and her backpack had been stolen while she was inside a small store using what was left of her money to buy food, so she'd lost almost all the resources she'd brought with her. Fortunately, she was smarter than to keep anything she really cared about in the bag. Crimmy had been tucked into a hidden pouch inside her sweater, and she never took off her bracelet, so she hadn't lost either when the bag was taken, and they were all that really mattered to her, though she supposed it would have been nice to still have access to her water bottle. Considering she was still alive and not a dehydrated corpse in the first somewhere, she could assume the bag, and the water bottle, had been stolen less than three days ago.

Not for the first time, she found herself wondering what she was doing. Why was she out here? Why was she putting herself through this? Home may have been bad, but at least she had a bed and steady meals. Why was she running away, throwing herself into potentially life threatening situations, when she could have survived at home, at least until she was old enough to get a job and move out in her own? Then she'd glance down at her bracelet, and the reason would come racing back. Unfortunately, while looking at her bracelet spurred her to keep going and gave her motivation, it also made her incredibly sad and gave her a rush of fear. Every now and then, the sudden onslaught of emotions would push her to tears, but for the most part, she managed to hold them back. She couldn't go wasting energy crying. She'd already gone a few nights without sleeping - she had to spare all the energy that she could. Of course, she would have slept at night if she could, but a combination of nightmares and stress made it impossible to do so. Whenever she tried, she'd find herself tossing and turning in the forest floor, the bark of the trees around her twisting into malicious faces and every sound turning into the very people she fled from closing in on her. After a while, she stopped trying to sleep. Walking through the night was better than dealing with that torture.

There was a loud crackle in the bushes a short distance away from her and Josie froze, suddenly aware of how much her vibrant sweater stood out from her earthy surroundings. She stuck out like a sore thumb. If anything was pursuing her, whether it be a human or a creature, they'd see her in an instant. There was another crack and Josie took off to escape it, but the noises followed her through the dense forest. She wondered briefly if there was really anything there at all, or if it was just paranoia and sleep deprivation affecting her mind. Despite the likeliness of the possibility, she didn't dare stop in case that wasn't the case. She wasn't sure when she started crying but suddenly tears were blurring her vision, her heart beating so hard in her chest that she feared it would crack her ribs. She burst out of the trees and onto the road, bright headlights nearly blinding her. It took her a split second to register that a car was coming straight at her and as shrieked, jumping backwards and slipping on the wet pavement. Landing on her back knocked the wind in front of her, and she resigned herself to her fate, assuming the car would plow right over her, but with the squeal of old brakes, it jerked to a stop. Josie pushed herself up into a sitting position, panting and glancing back at the forest. It appeared nothing had followed her out. She heard a car door open and turned back to the vehicle before her, sniffling and reaching to rub the sore back of her head.

Last edited by a moderator:
The night air was heavy around him. The sounds of dogs barking, and men yelling in the streets weren't new to Damien, but he has yet to really get used to it. Sweat trickled down his face as he struggled to keep himself composed.

"C'mon out Howard! Yer buddies told us 'bout yer damn dealings from Broward County to Dade! Face the music!"

Not likely, he said to himself.

While the makeshift search party shined it's flashlights up and down McArthur Avenue, he took the opportunity to duck behind some hedges and quickly scurry down the block masked by the mass of leaves.

"Get out here!" Yelled one of the members of the party. He of course ignored their demands, more preoccupied with his usual lamenting of his life decisions.

It's for the sake of his survival, at least, that's what he constantly told himself. He's been caring for himself since being kicked out at 18. Since then he's lived by any means necessary.

He'd been involved in so many robberies, kidnappings, drug deals that even he feels it's getting out of hand.

But no one will help him. Not now not ever. His parents kicked him out, Ashley used his love to bleed him dry emotionally, and every "friend" he's had thus far has either plotted to rob him or use him as a stepping stone to aid in there ascent to a better life.

"Fuck that..." he said out loud.

A considerable distance away from his pursuers, he circled back around to 30th terrace, clutching his car keys the whole way.

Someone snitched. Jerry. Maybe Cliff. He hadn't trusted them since they came to him with pleas of helping him on one of his jobs. Playing it solo was playing it safe. But for some reason, he always finds himself accepting the people. Stupid is what it is.

He jogs over to his beat up black Chrysler, quickly unlocking the door and hopping into the driver seat. He's just about to put the key in the ignition when he hears a gun cock.

"You can't be serious."

"Out of the car D." The man in the back seat demanded.

Damien proceeds to sluggishly slink his way out of the car, making sure to leave the door open. It's Cliff on the other side of the gun pointed at him.

Called it.

"So you thought you could screw me? Huh?" Cliff begins waving the gun around a bit in anger

Damien follows the weapon with his eyes, waiting for his chance.

"You thought you could screw me and get away with all the money D? You think I'm stupid?"

"Was that rhetorical? " Damien responds.

Cliff steps forward and places the barrel against Damien's head.

"Answer and find out," Cliff growls.

Just as Damien opens his mouth to make another smart comment, shots rang out. In a sudden state of panic, Cliff turns his head, searching the dark for the assailants.

Damien's reflexes kick in and he grabs Cliff by the wrist, twisting it so that he relinquished his gun. He grabs the gun, and in the midst of all the gun fire coming from a peeved search party, hops into his car. Cliff catches several bullets and falls backwards onto the Chrysler's back window.

Key in the ignition and pedal to the metal, Damien peels off onto the highway.

Two hours pass. Three. Four. He begins to lose count of how long he's been driving. He took a plethora of side streets and back door roads to lose any possible pursuers , and now the adrenaline has faded abysmally making him acutely aware of his exhaustion. 3 days, no sleep, not even a decent meal.

His eyelids grow heavy, the night sky looming over him as though it silently said "We are watching you".

"Is that good or bad..." he asked himself.

Still speeding down the main road, I-95 hoping to hit Atlanta by morning, he sees something run from the mass of trees into the street.

"Oh shi-" he exclaims, while slamming his foot on the break.

His car screeches to a stop, one or two feet from killing whatever hopped into the street. He rested his head on the steering wheel for a moment. Thinking, pondering, lamenting the nagging feeling that he should go check if whatever it is is okay instead of driving around it.

Cursing under his breath, he opens his car door.

Josie scooted back when she heard feet hit the pavement, pushing her damp matted hair out of her face to try and get a better look at who the person was. Was it a policeman? A potential murderer? Or, worst of all, one of her parents? Her heart pounded in her chest at the thought, not wanting to imagine what would happen if her parents found her out here, alone in the dark where no one would hear her scream. She wanted to live until at least thirty, so she prayed from every god from Zeus to Buddha (despite not believing in a single one of them) that it wasn't either of her parents approaching her. The person stepped into the headlights, and she couldn't help but let out a breath of relief when the person proved not to be anyone she knew, and most definitely not one of her parents. It was a man a good couple of years older than her, with dirty clothes and bags beneath his eyes. Josie didn't suppose she looked any better, mud staining her hand knit sweater and worn out jeans, her hair greasy from at least a week without a shower and dirt on her childish face. There was always the possibility that the man was a murderer, but something in Josie's gut told her that wasn't the case.

"I-I'm sorry," she stammered nervously, giving a tiny hiccup as tears continued to pour down her flushed cheeks, "I didn't mean to jump out in front of you. I-I was just running, and..." She hiccuped again, reaching to wipe her eyes with her sleeve. Her knee was bleeding. She didn't have to look to know that. She could feel the warm blood trickling over her skin, no doubt staining the edges of the tear that would surround the scrape red. The same warmth was running down her forearms, starting at her elbows and leaving thin trails of crimson in their wake. She was tempted to grab herself a few band aids, but then remembered that her bag had been taken and she didn't have them anymore. Why was the world so mean? It wasn't that way in the movies. Of course, even at her young age, Josie was smart enough to know that movies weren't entirely truthful, but she'd hoped that she'd meet at least one benevolent stranger along the way. She supposed that was just wishful thinking. Since when was her mind such a dark place? She needed to sleep, and then she'd be happy again. At least for a while.

Sniffling softly, she got to her feet despite the throbbing pain that started in her knee as soon as she put weight on her leg. What was she supposed to say now? Surely, a child her age emerging from the woods in the middle of the night was a concerning matter, especially when said child was in as deplorable of a state as she was. In the daytime, she had a multitude of excuses.
My parents are just outside. Mum's in the bathroom. My house is just down the street. What was she supposed to say in this situation? Was she supposed to tell him that her parents were waiting for her just beyond the tree line, apologize for the trouble she caused, and head back into the woods where her imaginary monsters lingered in the shadows? She'd almost made him crash his car, a simple apology certainly couldn't make up for that. She glanced at the car, then back at the man, swiping her sleeve across her cheek to get rid of the tear streaks. "...Are you...o-okay?" she managed to choke out through her weeping after a moment, unsure if it was the right thing to say but needing to voice her concern.

Damien wasn't so much surprised as he was confused. It's damn near 12 at night, and for some odd reason he almost runs over a little girl in a dirty sweater and an expression that just screams "Please don't hurt me mister."

She was sobbing profusely, the water works eventually subsiding and becoming scattered sniffles and hiccups. She was bleeding from both her knee and elbow. It looked like it hurt.

The girl made an effort to stand. She slowly rose, clearly favoring the injury.

She looked up at him with the biggest, most innocent looking eyes he'd ever seen in his life.

"...Are you... o-okay?" She asked

He looked down at her and moved to lean on the hood of his car.

He wanted to ask her if she knew that her life almost ended. That she would've been vulture food had he not seen her or if he was still being pursued.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine."

He's no good with kids and he knows it. He's too harsh, too cold hearted. But she looks like she's in need of some.

He turns to his left going back into his car for some McDonald's napkins. While inside the car, he stuffs the pistol he took from Cliff into the glove compartment. He shuts the car door and walks toward the girl trying not to scare her more than he already has.

He kneels down next to her handing her the napkin, trying not to look like a pedophile.

"So what's the deal kid? What are you doing in the forest?"

Josie nodded slowly at response, giving another tiny sniffle and rubbing her eyes. Though she'd managed to stop crying, the messy display of drying tears was still obvious around her eyes, making it clear that she'd been weeping recently. She hated crying. Something about feeling the thin streams of water pour down her cheeks unsettled her, making her feel weak and helpless, like a tiny little baby. She supposed she really was nothing more than that, was she? A little baby with a stained sweater in a dangerous situation.

She watched him turn back to his car, wondering if he was going to get in and drive away. She wouldn't blame him. No damage had been done to the car and she wasn't his responsibility, so he had no reason to stick around. She supposed her plan would be easier without interference, especially if the person who was interfering insisted on taking her to the authorities. She'd made it this far, and she wouldn't have the chance to get out again if she was returned to her house. They'd make sure of that.

However, the man didn't climb in and start the car up. He leaned in, grabbed something, then stepped back out and closed the door behind him, clutching napkins in his fist. She blinked in surprise as he knelt beside her, a lot less intimidating now that he was her height, and offered the napkins to her. "Thanks," she whispered, taking the napkins and wiping her face, immediately feeling better without the lingering dampness of the tears. She then used them to wipe the blood off her knee and arms, revealing the dark scrapes beneath the pools of scarlet. At the dreaded question, she bristled, racking her mind for a good reason to be out here at this time of night. "U-Um..." she began nervously, pressing one of the napkins to her knee, "I was just...going for a walk...in the woods. But there were monsters in there, so I came out here. I'm sorry I scared you." It was a bad lie and she knew it, but what was she supposed to say?

Damien was bewildered. His confusion showed on his face and he knew.

"Uh... is that you're final answer?" He asked. He was trying hard to be the sensitive adult that he thought she needed at the moment, but cmon man. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, 9 out of 10 times the duck is feeding you bullshit when it says it's actually a horse.

Despite the obvious skepticism in his tone, the girl didn't budge on her "leisurely stroll through monster filled woods" story. Her expression was one of rock hard determination. Well as close as she could get with such a baby face.

He grabbed the bridge of his nose and massaged it, preparing to dive deeper into what his subconscious was telling him was a mistake beyond measure.

"Okay, I'll bite. So, you're trotting through the woods all 'la, dee, da' and monsters start chasing you..." Damien twirled the wrist of his free hand in makeshift circles while speaking, laying the sarcastically following her story.

"Yeah, okay. Sounds legit." He muttered out loud.

He picked up his head to take a look at his surroundings. The night was turning from dark to pitch black. The trees in the now ominous looking forest seemed to dance, beckoning for some poor soul to trek into their grasp so that they may feast with their leafy claws and branch like teeth while-

"Focus!" He growls at himself. Damien begins pacing again, contemplating the task at hand.

Okay. Little girl. Runs out of woods. Hurt. Scared. Crying. Me, having transportation. That means...

He sighed deeply at the realization of what he must do. The idea of having baggage was not appealing to him, especially with the life he leads. She's just a kid. She can't handle being with me, even if I'm just taking her home.

He paused for a moment and turned to face the young lady staring at him.

"She probably thinks you're weird now jackass..." he whispered to himself.

"So... uh... look. I'm actually on my way out of town but if you want I can drop you off somewhere kid. Ya know, it's up to you I'm not a pedophile or anything!"

Damien Instantly Raised His Hands defensively.

"No, what I mean is I'm not forcing you! Your just hurt and you look like you could use the ride, so I thought..."

He sighed at his own panicking. Over thinking will be my death. He resigned to just being forward with his question.

"Need a ride kid?"

At the doubtful question, Josie nodded, putting on the most serious and determined expression she could manage. If she didn't look like she believed it, he'd be even less likely to. Not that she really believed he'd take to any story that involved monsters - most adults didn't - but she'd said it and now she was sticking with it. She'd only make herself look suspicious if she changed her story, because then the question of why she was lying in the first place would pop up and she really didn't want to answer that one.

She nodded along to his summarization of her story, pulling the napkin away from her knee now that she'd staunched the bleeding, then turning it to a clean side and pressing it against her right elbow instead. "Yes," she replied firmly, trying to sound mature and dignified but feeling like her rainbow sweater undermined the act, "The crackling in the bushes followed me, and it was right behind me when I fell, so I kept running." Fortunately, despite obviously not believing a word she was saying, the man didn't try to force the truth out of her, and for that, she was glad. All it would have done was waste both of their time, as Josie was stubborn as a mule and proud of the fact.

Josie watched in silence as the man began to pace and mutter to himself, obviously contemplating something. Maybe he was trying to remember where the nearest police station was. Maybe she should just run while she had the chance, escape the clutches of an adult that would think they were doing what was best for her when they were really doing the opposite. Despite considering this plan a very good one, she couldn't bring herself to move her feet, staying rooted to the spot until he turned to her.

As he began to speak, she just barely refrained from throwing up an eyebrow and tossing out some unneeded snarky comment, most likely something to the effect of, that's exactly what a pedophile would say. All that kept her from doing so was a sudden stab of fear; she hadn't even considered the possibility of the stranger being that kind of person. Yet again, though, something in her gut told her that he was telling the truth, and though she knew intuition wasn't much to go on, her gut feelings were often right.

She hesitated at the final question, her gaze flickering between the man and his car. She supposed it wouldn't hurt to be driven for a bit. It would save some time, as long as they were heading in the right direction. She could always lie and say her home was a few towns over and hope he'd drive her that far. Or she could dance around the question and see how far he'd bring her before he finally kicked her out. I like the second plan better. "A ride would be very nice," she confessed, swapping the napkin to the other elbow, "And out of town sounds great."

"Um... good." He said matter of factly. He gestured an outstretched hand towards the car, as a Butler would to a table.

"Go ahead and hop on in."

As she made her way to the car, he was at work think about basic things kids need.

"I'm pretty sure she's potty trained. Food. She'll need food. And drinks. And maybe a blanket."

Her needs just cut a deep hole in his pockets, and he knew it well. Even if she wasn't particularly hungry, it'll be a gesture of good will. One that she is welcome to refuse, of course. At least she lived outside of town. Shopping here would end quite badly for Damien.

He turned and almost marched towards the driver side of the car, a man on a mission, someone else's needs on his mind for a change for the first time in a long time.

Josie nodded and walked over to the car, glad that he hadn't asked where out of town she needed to be brought. She wasn't too sure where she was and was therefore unaware of the neighboring towns, so having to name one on the spot and pretend she'd known the place since birth would have been a little difficult. Bullet dodged, in a manner of speaking.

She climbed into the backseat of the car, but instead of buckling herself in, she curled up on the seat with her back facing the driver, tucking her arms under head and deciding it was high time she got some sleep. Her eyelids felt like they weighed a thousand pounds. She glanced at the stranger and, once she was sure he wasn't looking, pulled Crimmy out of the hidden pocket of her sweater.

She hugged the stuffed fox to her chest and took a deep breath. She was out of the woods. There were no trees with contorted faces or hidden animals that could pounce on her at any second. There were no monsters, and she was soon would be driven farther from her parents and closer to her destination. The thought was soothing, and she glanced down at her bracelet, a warm feeling spreading in her chest instead of the stab of fear and sadness she normally felt. She was fine, for now. With that thought in mind and the oddly comforting rumble of the car's engine coming to life, she drifted off.

Two hours have gone by. Damien has been driving nonstop since the kid decided it best to roll with him. He didn't know how to describe how this act of kindness made him feel. Maybe itchy is the word.

The sound of her soft breathing in the back seat was a nice change in atmosphere. There was something about her being there. Diverging about her very presence that drew tranquility out of him. His anger and frustrations were strangers to him right now.

But how long will it last? That voice in his head, the one that he usually listens to in order to stay alive whispered.

He looked back at the little girl again. She was all cuddled up behind his seat, fast asleep with what looked like a stuffed animal. He reached over to the floor of the front passenger seat and grabbed his old jacket.

Keeping the wheel steady with his knees, he fluidly draped the jacket over her tiny frame hoping it'll keep her warm. Turning back, he scratched at an itch beneath his dreads and look at himself in the mirror.

"Don't play nice," he told himself. "Don't pretend to be something you're not."

He was pulling up on Atlanta, or so his instincts told him. He decided to pull over on the outskirts of the city and get some sleep before the days events. Stopping in a patch of grass near what looked like an abandoned gas station, he parked his car, leaned his seat back careful not to wake the kid, and slept.

Josie wasn't sure how long she slept, but she awoke in the back of an unfamiliar car with an old jacket draped over her like a blanket. For a moment, she was terrified, laying perfectly still and trying not to draw attention as she tried to figure out the situation. Then the events from earlier came rushing back to her and she relaxed a little bit, rolling onto her back to stare at the roof of the car and curling up even tighter beneath the jacket. It was a surprisingly good source of warmth.

Now that she had a moment of quiet, considering they were pulled over and the driver appeared to be asleep, she decided it was time she tried to figure out just how long she'd been away from home. She just needed to try and figure out how many times she'd gone to bed, and she'd figure out how many days had passed. Or at least, she'd get close to the right number. Josie took a deep breath and closed her eyes, thinking hard for a few minutes before deciding finally thinking she'd figured it out.

Day one: they were at work, and I snuck out the backdoor and into the woods. Days two and three: I was in the forest. I ran out of food I packed and had to find another town. Day four: Still in the forest with no food. Day five: I reached another town and bought food. My backpack was stolen. Day six: I headed back into the woods and walked straight through the night. I couldn't afford much food, so I ran out fast. Day seven: I found a blueberry bush, but mostly just kept walking. Day eight: the monsters came, and I went out into the street. I got picked up.

Judging by the time flashing on the clock imbedded into the dashboard, she was extremely early into day nine. She was a little hungry and absolutely parched, but she wasn't about to ask the man to buy her sustenance. Speaking of the man, where was he bringing her? It sounded as though he believed that she had meant her home was out of town, which wasn't the case, but she'd ride on that for as long as she could. Then again, he could be bringing her to the police. Maybe she should just get out and run while she had the chance. She turned her gaze to the window on the other side of the car, biting her lip. She didn't want to go back out there, didn't want to throw herself into the maw of the monsters. She'd stay here for now, but if it looked like the situation was going to end poorly for her, she'd take off.

Damien took a left down the trash filled alley. The sounds of cursing and cocking of of guns was still hot on his trail. He made another right on to the main road. He pumped his arms and legs as hard as he could, but simply could not out run Smokey. Who the hell would've thought he would be in Atlanta waiting for him? Who tipped him off? Cliff? No, Cliff is dead back in Dade County.

He suddenly had an epiphany, his eyes growing wide with panic.

The fun king little girl! She ratted him out!

He lamented his terrible decision making. Helping someone other than himself.

What am I, a saint? He thought to himself.

He sprinted through traffic horns honking like mad and dipped into an alley. He jumped into the first dumpster he saw and gently shut the lid to keep from alerting his pursuers to where he was hiding. He heard footsteps, chattering, Smokey barked orders to his lap dogs. Then silence.

He sat another twenty, thirty minutes tops before deciding it was safe to come out. He opened the lid prepared to jump out and make a break for it. But as soon as the cover to the dumpster was off he was face to face with the kid, and a pistol aimed right at him.

She had a sickeningly sweet smile and her head tilted to one side. Damien's insides twisted.

"W-wait you-"

"Bye bye Damien." She sang.

"NO!"

Damien shot up from his sleep.l, drenched in sweat. His breathing was ragged and labored. He looked around.

I'm still in my car. Still in the car...

He turned to the backseat, clearly unaware of his deplorable appearance after his nightmare. He saw that the little girl was still there, covered in his jacket, looking back at him.

He swallowed. "How... how long have you been up? Sleep okay?"

Josie pressed her nose into the top of Crimmy's head, inhaling the familiar scent he carried with him. He smelled of rain and pine, a combination she'd always found very comforting. She knew why that was, of course, but she didn't want to think about that now. All it would serve to do was make her sad, and though she supposed she could really use any pity she got to her advantage, she didn't like the feeling of being pitied, so she didn't want to cry again. Not now.

The soft tap on the roof of the car made her jump, drawn out of her thoughts, but as a gentle pitter-patter started, she realized that it was rain, and she relaxed. Rain she could handle. Rain was soothing. All she could do was hope that it didn't start to thunder, as well. She'd never liked storms, which was understandable, considering she'd been trapped outside for the entire duration of two different storms throughout her life, once when she was six, and once in the past week.

A little while passed, and the rain remained just that: rain. She let out a long breath and closed her eyes, listening to the reassuring tap tap tap of the droplets on the roof.
Y'know, rain is just the clouds crying tears of joy because they get to be near each other for a while. Isn't that cute? The offhand comment rung in her brain and she hugged Crimmy tighter, fending off a sudden wave of homesickness. Not for the place she fled, no. For one of the people she'd lost.

The man suddenly sat up, screaming frantically, and Josie nearly jumped out of her skin, turning to look at him. He was pale and panting, glimmering beads of sweat trickling down his face. He turned to face her, obviously oblivious to his own abysmal appearance, and asked her how she'd slept. "Better than I have in a while," Josie admitted softly, "Thanks for letting me use your jacket..." She trailed off, hesitant, before voicing her concern. "Are you okay? You look scared."

He sighed at the young girl's comment. "Scared isn't quite the word to describe it kid."

More like terrified shitless. He laughed at his own fear. He didn't know what the hell was stressing him out.

"Maybe it's because I haven't written anything in a while." He said to himself. Most if not all of his thoughts were written down. It put things in perspective, helped him understand what was happening in his life from an objective point of view. It was just then that he noticed the rain. His second love in life. Rain was a physical manifestation of how he felt on the inside. It calmed his soul.

Taking a deep breath, he looked back at the young girl once more. She was cuddling with her stuffed animal.

I'd kill to be ignorant of the world's problems like that.

He openly reminisced about his childhood. The good parts anyway. The love his grandparents gave him. The trips he took with his uncles. Ashley.

"Oh Ashley..." he sighed again.

He began to hang his head, turning to the left to see that the rain was getting heavier. He cranked up the engine and got back on the road.

After several minutes of driving he decided a bit of light prying was in order.

"So, I can't exactly keep calling you 'kid' or little girl."

He looked at her through his rear view mirror. Doing so made him feel like a truck driver.

"What's your name?"

Josie tilted her head as the driver mused out loud about someone named Ashley, but didn't question it, not wanting to seem nosy. His hospitality was the only thing keeping her from being trapped outside in the cold with monsters, so she didn't want to overstay her welcome and make him kick her out. Therefore, it would make sense that she wouldn't question what she could assume to be private matters. She hugged Crimmy tighter to her chest at the mere thought of being thrown back out into the wild, taking a deep breath. She knew she couldn't stay with him forever, but she was going to enjoy it while it lasted. Then, when it ended, she'd just continue her journey as though it never happened and be thankful that she had been spared a few days of walking. She knew what she was getting herself into when she left, so she had to face it head on.

She blinked a few times at the question, drawn out of her frankly quite dismal thoughts, when he asked her name. She pushed herself up into a sitting position, the coat still draped around her shoulders, much too large for her but a great source of warmth. "Oh, my name's Josie," she answered sweetly, purposely leaving out her last name as to avoid giving off information that could cause him to recognize her name if it came up on the news, "What's your name?" She swung her legs and brushed her hair out of her face, tucking the loose lock of matted brown hair behind her ear. It was getting out of control, and she had to fight the urge (not for the first time) to chop it all off, and she probably would have if she wasn't lacking scissors and sitting in the back of a stranger's car. It hung to below her waist, and now that she had no way to take care of it, it was filthy and inconvenient.

He looked forward, eyes on the road, ears on Josie, and his mind on his next meal.

"My name's Damien." He reached into the glove compartment for napkins that he kept from fast food restaurants. He remembered telling his girlfriend that keeping them wasn't stealing because they were free. She never agreed with him.

He swiftly wiped the fog on the windshield caused by the rain. He grabbed a second napkin to wipe his face.

Still rolling down Highway 95, he was watching the signs intently, looking for an Inn he could shack up at for a time.

Damn. Cliff took the money from the backseat when he ambushed me.....

He grimaced to himself, gripping the steering wheel in frustration.

The "Now Entering Decatur" sign was lingering above while he lingered in his own thoughts.

Need some quick cash.

Suddenly he had an idea.

"Hey Josie, I need you to do me a favor..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back