Akago Gaiden: The Kazekage's Return

IG42

Paranoid Android
Roleplay Availability

Sunagakure

(17 Months Later)

Nearly a year and a half after it's destruction large swathes of the burned village had been cleared and replaced with a patchwork of tents and buildings at various stages of completion. In the centre stood the rebuilt Kazekage's office though it hadn't living up to the name with the post unoccupied, in place of a Kage the village was under the control of an interim council made up of the ranking Jonin and village officials that had escaped the massacre.

"We are meeting today to discuss possible candidates for the role of Kazekage." An aging man announced to the group. "We have already established that none of us here are in a position to be Kazekage ourselves." He glanced pointedly at a sour faced Jonin. "We all have our roles to play in rebuilding our village and our nation but we lack the popular support to lead our people."

A well dressed woman spoke up.  "Then who does have the popularity to be accepted?"

"I believe that there are only two viable choices, two ninja regarded as war heroes." Half of the people in the room were already on their feet when he finished. "I propose that either Akago and Shirokko Hideki be our new Kazekage!"

The next morning Akago woke slowly in the small house he shared with Shirokko, sitting up he yawned groggily and spoke internally out of habit.

Good morning.

The silence and the accompanying sense of emptiness inside ached, his fists clenched a few times at the memory of waking up on the battlefield to find Matatabi gone as if a piece of himself had been stolen. Groaning Akago rubbed his temples and flopped back down on the bed, rolling onto his side the former Jinchuuriki reached out to take his sleeping wife in his arms. 

"Hey can we just stay like this for a while?" He whispered and tightened his grasp a little.

Nearly an hour later a pounding on the door forced Akago to untangle himself from Shirokko. After hastily throwing on a simple Suna style robe he answered the door to a flustered looking shinobi.

"A-Akago-sama!" He bowed stifly.

"Can I...help you with something?" The hero worship still left Akago feeling bemused each time.

"Sir! The interim council has announced the candidates for the Kazekage post! They..they have selected you and Shirokko-sama!"

Akago stood still for a few seconds before blinking twice in quick succession.

"I..assume the council will want to speak with us both?"

"Yes sir!"

"Right...I think I need to speak with my wife about this. We will be there...shortly or something like that."

@White Masquerade

Shirokko Hideki

"Mmhmm, so you like it when I scratch your ears like that right? Hahaha! Ooo~, who's a good boy? Who's a good boy? Yes. You. Are. Shukaku. Yes! The good boy: it is you!" 

Running the length of her fingers behind the head of a large human-sized raccoon, the jinch smirked knowing which spots would please him most. Tilting her head real slight to the side, Shirokko took a chance to savor the moment; she and her beast, communing as one. When was the last time they did something like this? Everything in the past few years was pure nightmares; she dozing, half-awake with one eye open so he couldn't take control. Some nights nights going without rest at all. It was odd...she didn't remember getting this close. Why was she inside the blank space of her mind anyway? His cage, the kettle wasn't even there. Yes. Why was Shukaku outside of his kettle in the first place...?

And it all came rushing back. The village. The darkness. The onset of malicious energies attacking her very soul. Pain. Hurt. Constriction. Death. Dark...then light. Shukaku was...gone. Eyes snapping open, Shirokko found them to be moist, the edges slippery on the verge of dripping tears.

Why...am I crying?

But she already knew the answer. The only thing to comfort her in the moment of sadness were the strong arms of Akago wrapped tight around her like armor. Squeezing and squirming higher into his grip, the ninja wished it all away, though firmly knew nothing would change. It was solely in her dreams where she would get to see her bijuu, and that was the way it would stay. It felt like a piece of life had been ripped out from her soul and left and a cold, growing void.

Pressure from the man laying next to her, she could only assume that her husband was feeling the same way too. He and Matatabi were indeed close. Closer than she and Shukaku. Akago was always so happy and smiling, ready to lighten up the room by being goofy or saying a real silly joke, but lately...it was like all of it had died.

Clasping her hand in his, she shifted and quickly dropped the thought. Sleep was the only respite they got from the problems of the day. To conserve her energy, conserve the strength of her mind, to be strong for her man, she had to indulge, no matter how hard. May it be replays of that fateful day; views of Suna's crumbled, smoldering ruins; Akane's broken, bloodied, body on a field in Kiri; or Akago shutting himself from the rest of the world...she would endure.

"Back to sleep then," was murmured with a sigh most audible. "Shukaku. Here I come back to scratch on your fluffy ears again."

"Is it something you want to get into? I mean...something we should get into? Do you really think you're ready for something like that?"

Danced in loops around the issue Shirokko did, not flat-out saying he wasn't the same person with Matatabi gone, but gave subtle hints she knew he had seen better days. After the Nibi, she was the closest person to him in his life; he'd be silly to believe changes in his being would go unnoticed and hidden from someone like her.

"There has to be someone better fit for the job than us. New blood, you know? Somebody from the new generation, maybe? Someone who's ready to prove themselves. Why does it have to be one of us I/m wondering. We're just a pair of normal ninja. Neither of us are jinchuriki anymore. We los -"

Biting her tongue, Shirokko moved quick to kiss Akago on the lips, fixing his shirt and tapping a finger to his chin. "You look nice," she said, pulling tight back and tying her own hair. "Ready," she smiled, pulling away and heading for the door.

"Ahem. You know, I find it funny they consider us heroes," the nin continued to chatter. "The way people bow and speak like we're some kind of gods. Haha. It's all nonsense. We just did what any other shinobi would have done. Fight to survive. Owa! Silly me, almost forgot!" 

Using a stream of sand to bring out a kunai marked and dropped into a pocket, Shirokko smiled at him widely again saying, "In case we somehow get separated. Then you can pop to me like you always do. Come, come now Akago, we don't want them to be waiting all day right? Here is my arm. Please, slip yours through and walk with me down the Suna streets. I hear even though it's somewhat rebuilt, the roads are still very dangerous! Bandits, wild scorpions, and things of that nature. You must keep me protected! Without you, I would die!"

@IG42

Last edited by a moderator:
Akago listened to his wife speak calmly but he stared down at the floor when she skirted around the issue of his own mental state and almost mentioned their lost companions. Looking up at her he frowned but still smiled wanly, the subject was undoubtedly a sore one for Shirokko too yet she was willing to talk through it with him if it would help. When Shirokko came in for a quick peck on the lips he held her there for a few more moments.

"I..need to try to do something, I mean to make myself useful and do something. Besides they don't give unproven ninja this job, it's for those who have already shown their quality in the field."

Letting her go Akago fidgeted when she fiddled with his clothes before putting her hair up.

"Hey they looked fine before! It's not like I can survive this heat in my armour" He fiddled with them for a moment. "You know...I always think your hair looks better down. Uhh not that you don't look lovely either way or anything like that."

Facepalming at the verbal stumble he simply followed his wife and listened to her chatter. Eventually he caught himself chuckling at Shirokko's appeal for protection, somewhere in the conversation his smile had become genuine without him noticing.

"Scorpions?" He made an exaggerated shudder while looping his arm through Shirokko's. "Nasty little things. At least the bears back in the Land of Iron roar before trying to kill you."

"Anyway most people have heroes. I don't know it makes them feel safer or gives them something to chase or something like that." He waved his free hand vaguely. "After everything that's happened I guess they don't have anyone better to look up to. Ah whatever best we move along, I'll keep my eyes open for any vicious creatures and bugs."

Kazekage Office

"There must be others who could be Kazekage instead of them! Are either of them entirely sane?"

"If we're that desperate for another candidate I-"

"Enough! The proposal has already been passed by vote and by a significant majority. This is no time to further your own agenda!"

The clamour stopped dead as a sharp knock reverberated from the other side of the closed door.

"Excuse me." A sand nin entered and nodded respectfully. "They have arrived."

"Very good show them in immediately." 

As the two former Jinchuriki entered everyone in the room rise and bowed though a few were slower on the uptake and simply inclined their heads rather than actively bending.

"Welcome Shirokko-sama, Akago-sama, I am Hirako Tahno, I am sorry that we have only met in passing before now." He went around the room introducing the other councilors in turn. The disapproving group looked to be headed up by the aggravated Jonin Rakko Daiichi who barely restrained his glare.

"You of course know why we have summoned you here today." He looked levelly over the two of them. "Of course only one of you can be Kazekage, to begin we would ask whether either or you choose to withdraw your candidacy, if you wish to continue we would have you make your case. Do not underestimate the gravity of this decision, considering the current state of affairs in Kumogakure it is possible whoever becomes Kazekage may also be required to assume the role of Raikazekage."

The councilors all sat down in unison. "Now what say you?"

@White Masquerade

Shirokko Hideki

Laying on Akago's shoulder, the kunoichi held onto his arm tight, thanking fate for this moment to be possible. Thinking back on the last 4 years, it was scary realizing how close they came to death. Eyes misted at the memory of destroying of Camp Kumo and the decision to place her life in his hands. Shirokko shuddered. That could have been it. If he offed her right then and there, there would be no this. Meeting the 5-tails, their confrontation with re-incarnated Gaara, and battles with the Kakureyami in the Field of the End. There were many instances where things could have gone horribly wrong. Gently and wordlessly she pulled on Akago to stop a bit and soften the pace of their walk. This was a moment she really wanted to take in. A rebuilding Suna, chatter of those who had fled during the invasion come back, and scent of cooked sand in the sun trickled to her nose. It made her so happy. It was amazing.

"I wish we could stay like this forever, Akago."

And start a family.

But for now, those words would remain unsaid. Instead, she asked about his homeland, the Land of Iron, eager to learn about the one her heart wanted to spend every moment with. From the difficult period of Suna's destruction to what his favorite color was, Shirokko smiled through it all. These instances had to be enjoyed when they came. Life was unpredictable. You had to cherish the opportunities you were given before they blew away like sand in the wind.

"Hey, babe..? Can I say something?" She suddenly interrupted during one of his silly stories.

"I really love you."

Inside of the Kazekage office, the atmosphere was tense. Eyes fell on them as they walked in, followed by a round of bows. It was clear there were those happy to see them, and others...not so much. Raising a brow towards Rakko, open disdain certainly wasn't something new. All jinchuriki felt that hate at some point or another. Those who got it from only their parents, were considered lucky. She didn't know about Akago, but hosting Shukaku was no walk in the park. Too many rampages was in part why they sent her out of the village in search of a master. The shame of not being able to control yourself; there was nothing worse.

Reality came back at the forefront and with her husband, Shirokko exchanged looks. The position of Kazekage was indeed something she wanted, yet before, as the host of Shukaku, never had the temperament for. Now that he was gone..

"If Akago would like the position, then I will immediately step down."

So were her powers too. In the year following the events of Konoha, she was dealing with a hidden problem. Shirokko was weak. She had lost every ounce of confidence in her ability to fight. No Magnet Release. No affinity with Earth. No longer having the skill to use Juinjutsu seals; she was terrified. The ability to exert control over sand was retained, but she lost the killing edge. The nin was devoid of any real things to use. The Bijuu was her life.

"And why is that?" The Jonin inquired, crossing arms. "Would he be better suited than you? I'll say it again. This is a serious issue we discuss. I'd rather you two put your best feet forward so we can pick the most qualified candidate, rather than play a game of chicken with the council. What is it that disqualifies you already from taking the position?"

She clenched a fist. It was simple. She just wasn't strong enough for it. She lacked in power. Right now, she just wasn't ready.

"Akago is a better thinker than I am," she smiled. "He's quick and responsive. Can quickly turn the tide of a battle in literally a second. He has good sense of war and deals with tactics well. I on the other hand...don't."

Letting the words hang in the air, Hirako took the opportunity to fill in the void.

"Alright. Point taken. However, no need to be hasty Shirokko-sama. Let us hear what your husband has to say about this." Turning to the man he said, "Akago-Sama, so you've heard words from your wife. How do you feel about this?"

@IG42

Akago stared at Shirokko as she took herself out of the running and gave him a glowing endorsement for the position. Losing Matatabi had left most of his core abilities untouched but the Bijuu had been the only one to stop him from doing anything particularly stupid, without his companion he would have attacked Akane just after they met. Without his safety net Akago didn't feel at all confident as a leader.

When asked for his opinion he coughed a little before speaking.

"Ahem well I believe that you shouldn't be so quick to count yourself out Shirokko, I know how much just being considered for the role means to you. However-" He raised his voice a little cutting off the surly Jonin. "If you truly believe I would be the better choice I will accept the responsibility of being Kazekage."

Most of the council nodded approvingly while a few looked relieved at Shirokko's withdrawal, Rakko simply looked slightly angry with the world in general.

"Thank you both for your words. Shirokko-sama I would also advise you to reconsider before removing yourself from the running." At least 3 people stiffened at the idea of Shirokko getting involved again. "However if you still do not wish to put yourself forward then we shall declare you Akago-sama the prospective 8th Kazekage."

Feeling his chest tighten Akago floundered for support mentally for a moment until he slipped his hand into Shirokko's and squeezed a little.

"I'm ready."

@White Masquerade

Shirokko Hideki

To Shirokko, the role and position of Kazekage did mean a lot, but,

"Yes. I wholeheartedly do."

Akago was the stronger fighter, more capable, and with the changes coming, the fallout from what's been to light about Hoshie, they could be in for some troubling times. She would watch Akago and stand by his side, fight to keep him from falling into depression with all her might. These were indeed delicate nights across the ninja world, but no matter the state of them, the state of this continent, the state of their people, Suna would rise again.

"No. Not hopping back in," she nodded, glancing to a few of the council apprehensive in the room. "It seems I still have a lot of work to do."

Feeling a hand slip into hers, in response she gripped it tight, clearing all of her mind. Turning to look into the pupils, straight at her man, she'd remark, "Let us swear allegiance to the new Kage then."

@IG42

Akago closed his eyes and took a deep breath in and out before looking over everyone in the room letting his gaze linger on Shirokko for a moment.

Standing up straighter he spoke in his most formal tone. "Very well I will be your Kazekage."

Hirako nodded respectfully and rose to his feet. "Thank you Akago-sama, we are honoured to have you as our Kazekage." Moving to stand before the newly minted Kage he led the council in officially recognising Akago as Kazekage, Rakko seemed to be more in favour of pasting an explosive tag on Akago's face but he pledged his loyalty along with the others.

Once everyone had finished Hirako spoke up again.

"Kazekage-sama, by your leave we shall arrange for your ceremonial inauguration to take place within the next few days."

"Very good, no reason to wait." Akago sat down with the rest of the council, realising Shirokko had remained standing he pulled her down next to him. "Come on, you're not getting away from village business that easily."

4 Days Later

Standing on a balcony of the Kazekage office Akago stood out of sight of the still growing crowd and fidgeted nervously with the oversized Kage hat and the newly tailored light overcoat emblazoned with the characters spelling out "Eighth Kazekage". Grunting with dissatisfaction he to his wife standing nearby.

"I feel like I look ridiculous. Do I look ok?" He said anxiously running his fingers through his hair.

@White Masquerade

Shirokko Hideki

"You look fine, babe. Now, stop moving and try to at least act like you know you're in charge?"

Smiling and shaking her head, the kunoichi's eyes slipped the numbers gathered in front of them today. Sure it wasn't much; probably not compared to the crowds of other countries like the Earth or Lightning. But these people...they were hers. These people...they were theirs. These men. These kids. These women of the Sand. It was nice to see the village finally getting back on track. Even if they did have to deal with some people like Rakko. They were one.

In step with growing applause below, Shirokko gave her own, proud of what was about to happen. In that moment, things just felt so surreal.

Alright Akago. Here goes. Just like you practiced.

And momentarily, with tears in her eyes, she would begin to murmur the words of his speech right alongside him.

@IG42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back