Ainsley Templeton

Name: Ainsley Templeton

Appearance: Five feet two with generous curves, in another time and place Ainsley may have been described as buxom. Among the red-tinged Dusters though, her build may be fuller than most but nothing too extraordinary - especially for someone who works around food as often as she does. Except in pressurized habs her long sandy blonde mane stays bound close to her spine to allow for a closer fit of her matte grey atmosphere suit, and her boots are fitted slip-fashion to keep out the desert sands. When outdoors her slate-grey eyes are usually all that shows above her breath-mask, but in the pressurized heart of Tombwatch itself she shows her broad face, broader smile and a tight-fitting rainbow Inner of vivid reds and greens. 

Personality: Tempestuous and fiery, Ainsley has always been a woman of great passions. She loves her family and her friends, she loves her talent with food, she loves the Magi who watch over us all - and she has precisely zero time for idiots. "Tact" and Ainsley have barely a passing acquaintance, and sometimes she just loves shit-stirring when things get too quiet. Cheerfully earthy, she is thoroughly enjoying married life and doesn't mind letting everybody know it. She has a sense of humour about many (even most) things, but cannot (or does not) take a joke about her faith without flaring up. It's not a formal religion of course, but Ainsley is one of a smaller group of Watchers who elevate their veneration for the Magi to religious levels; the Magi are the Gods who left us for their eternal battle with the demon Others. One day the faithful will make that same journey to fight by their side and bask in their light. That makes the Jukari not just a threat to the Dusters, but (lesser) enemies of the Gods themselves - and the Bandi the warriors of the Gods chosen to smite the Jukari wherever they may be found.

History: I'm no hero, and I certainly wasn't born with a great destiny. 

I was born Ainsley Dalton, the second of four children of Lijah and Harriet and the eldest of the three Dalton girls. Yes, Da was "that" Lijah Dalton; Marshal Dalton, the Hero of Bramble Gulch. Still is I guess, although he's mostly retired and works out of Oldtown now. We grew up hearing the stories of his escapades, how he and his partners had held the line against the Renders and called down sky-fire on the Jukari Prime. I loved those stories of course, but never with the same passion that Ellie did (she kept asking for them again and again, until I hit her with my Maisey-doll). My favourite stories were the ones I heard from creche-dam Zanna, of the Magi, and the world-that-was. Of the Bandi who some say still watch over us from Tomb and the silent sands that surround it. Oh, sure I enjoyed craft time and the mandated physical training, but the time I loved as the day wore to a close was sitting cross-legged on the floor with my friends and listening to her stories. That was when our parents came to collect us, but I always stayed to the end regardless. What can I say? I know what I like.

Coming off that you might expect I'd become a creche-dam myself, and I do tell a mean tale though it's me who says it. But that's when I met the second love of my life, food. So many Watchers see food as simply fuel. It's nice if it tastes good, but what with all the vat-grown foodstock you're basically stuck with what you've got, right? Wrong! Sure it's easy to just take whatever you have and shove it in the cooker until the timer chimes, but there's so much more you can do with it too! I didn't need long in the Library to know I'd found my vocation and I began my apprenticeship before my fourteenth birthday. These days I whip up a mean stew - which helps when I'm working the food line for a couple hundred dusters at a time - but on special occasions I can do a roast, or saute up a side of synthbeast you'd swear was hopping around Kelijak the day before. One of my most treasured possessions is a reader filled with the Library's cooking texts, and you'll often see me flicking through it during slow times on my work-shift. No one seems to mind, and I pay it back to them in the end with my talents. 

What puzzled me most in leaving the creche was how so many of my friends who were just as fascinated with the Bandi as I was, who'd even made plans with me that once we were old enough we'd go and find them and bring them back to chase the Jukari away and take us to see the Magi. That once we left the creche and they had their own work-shifts they didn't even seem interested again. How do you forget something like that, and not care about bringing back the blessings of the world that was or worshipping the Magi whose gifts literally made us in our image. Whose talents gave us Kelijak, a world where we belong to call our own. Honestly it seemed like no one cared, but there were other like-minded folks and it just too the wit and patience to find them. I started going to prayer meetings twice weekly, and though it cost me some overtime that may have helped me set up my own mealstation, I'm doubtless happier for it. After all, that was where I met August Templeton.

The Templeton line marriage has thrived for a century and a half now, and the original pairs of bucks and does that formed have long since passed on. In fact they were laid to rest in the garden at the heart of the Templeton hab, so that their life can give life anew. It's our way you see; life and the marriage goes on, even as individuals are born, marry into the line and eventually pass on. August is a fourth generation Templeton son who works as a mining engineer, and his early shift led him through my meal line twice a day. We took to talking, and talking led to flirting and flirting led to dating. He was very careful to introduce his wives and husbands and gave us time to get to know one another before he asked the question - almost too careful. I was starting to think he wasn't interested in me that way, but it turns out it was just part of the line marriage that to avoid unnecessary jealousies there's no screwing around outside of wedlock. There's just not! The whole Templeton family (all seventeen of us) believe as I do, in the divinity of the Magi and of the Bandi their servants so the wedding was performed in the eyes of the Magi and we sought their blessing. That night I was ceremonially put to bed with the First Husband, Jakob, but though wonderfully sweet and a joy to be wed to there are some things he's left behind at his time of life. I spend most of my time with August and his younger brother James, who has a vocation and is aiming to be a Speaker one day. Me? I still work at the same meal line, saving and working towards becoming a Cook Second - or maybe, one day, a Cook! But when I get home I get to cook for my own beloved family, and I always arrive at my work-shift each morning with a smile and a glow. And isn't that what wedded life is all about? 

Attributes

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 3

Fitness: 4

Intellect: 2

Intuition: 4

Willpower: 2

Bearing: 2

Guile: 2

Composure: 3

Skills

Physical

Awareness: 2

Athletics: 1

Defence: 2

Melee: 0

Piloting: 0

Ranged: 2

Stealth: 0 

Unarmed: 3

Survival: 3

Mental

Applied Magical Theory: 0

Administration: 0

Academics: 0

Language: 0

Lore: 3

Artisan: 3

Craft: 0

Investigation: 3

Medicine: 0

Navigation: 0

Social

Empathy: 0

Bioweapon Handling: 0

Mingling: 0

Perform: 3

Persuasion: 0

Subterfuge: 0

Skill Foci

Folktales (Lore): 5

Cooking (Artisan): 5

Storytelling (Perform): 4

Advantages

Familiarity: Watcher (+1 social die with other Watchers)

Knowledge: Home Comforts (Artisan - Cooking, Lore - Folktales, Academics - History)

Training: Duster Regimen (Athletics, Defense, Unarmed)

Derived Stats

Defend Rating: 6

• Evasion
  • Parry
  • Block

Speed: 6

Initiative: 9

Offence: 9

• Unarmed: 7
  • Melee: 3
  • Ranged: 5

Soak : 2