• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion Add a prefix to roleplay discussion

MDL

RIP Doctor Calgori (2012-2017)
I think the roleplay discussion and advice forum could do with a "Question" prefix because sometimes I just want to ask an open question and I'm not looking for "help/advice" which is what would be closest suited prefix right now.

We have an awful lot of prefixes in there already (15 at last count). Would using one of the topical ones (like Experiences, Players, or System) be useful instead? There's also "Other," which is intended as a catchall for anything that doesn't fit existing prefixes.

We have an awful lot of prefixes in there already (15 at last count). Would using one of the topical ones (like Experiences, Players, or System) be useful instead? There's also "Other," which is intended as a catchall for anything that doesn't fit existing prefixes.
There are a lot of them, I just notice that there are a lot of questions asked there that are unrelated to asking for help or advice, simply asking people's opinions, that are asked using the "help/advice" prefix. And people have a tendency to answer these questions as if you're asking for advice when you really aren't.

At the moment I'm only seeing a couple with that prefix that don't seem to want advice or help. It might be of more use if I updated the prefix guide sticked at the top to reflect the current prefixes and their colors, assuming people actually read that before selecting a prefix. ^;3^

At the moment I'm only seeing a couple with that prefix that don't seem to want advice or help. It might be of more use if I updated the prefix guide sticked at the top to reflect the current prefixes and their colors, assuming people actually read that before selecting a prefix. ^;3^
I would assume most people don't. All I can say is that there are threads that I have posted and seen posted that don't have a prefix that suits them any whatsoever well and a "Question" prefix would solve that.

Well, the "Other" prefix exists precisely for threads that do not fit into other prefixes. I'll take the suggestion under advisement, but unless we decide to remove some, I think RP Discussion has more than enough to be clunky as it is.

Well, the "Other" prefix exists precisely for threads that do not fit into other prefixes. I'll take the suggestion under advisement, but unless we decide to remove some, I think RP Discussion has more than enough to be clunky as it is.
That is true, there are a lot of them. What happens to threads that have a certain prefix if you choose to remove that prefix?

If I were to just remove the prefix, they would just lose their prefix. No threads will be lost. ^3^ However, ordinarily we use filters to see which threads are using a to-be-deleted prefix, give them another one, and only remove the old one once no threads are using it anymore, thereby keeping them filter-able and searchable.

If I were to just remove the prefix, they would just lose their prefix. No threads will be lost. ^3^ However, ordinarily we use filters to see which threads are using a to-be-deleted prefix, give them another one, and only remove the old one once no threads are using it anymore, thereby keeping them filter-able and searchable.
Ok I see. So if there are too many prefixes in there already, have you considered merging some of them? For example, "Mechanics" and "System" could easily be merged.

We have revamped the prefixes in Roleplay Discussion and Advice, mainly removing unused or duplicate prefixes but also adding one per your request. To avoid confusion, instead of calling it "Question," we called it "Viewpoint," as we hope it will be used for opinions and discussions beyond non-advice questions. I have also been updating prefix colors all over the place (I'm a little dangerous when given free rein on prefixes...).

We have revamped the prefixes in Roleplay Discussion and Advice, mainly removing unused or duplicate prefixes but also adding one per your request. To avoid confusion, instead of calling it "Question," we called it "Viewpoint," as we hope it will be used for opinions and discussions beyond non-advice questions. I have also been updating prefix colors all over the place (I'm a little dangerous when given free rein on prefixes...).
That's great. Very nice to see you so hard at work making stuff better!

:)

I just checked the prefixes. What a huge improvement! Much more focused with some mergers there and the colors are much improved. There were a couple of white-ish, similar ones before if I'm not mistaken. Very clear now and nicer looking.

Nice going

Users who are viewing this thread

Back