Abyssals and Dragon-Blooded Outcastes

psychoph

I am starting a game tomorrow and I am looking for ideas for Lieutenants within an Abyssal Mafia style organization in Nexus.  My current idea is that Mask of Winters is looking to either slowly degrade things in Nexus, thus potentially crippling trade in creation, or he is looking to completely consume it to start off a major all out war on Creation.

My current idea is that He has 2 Abyssals in place in the General area, one is the Moon shadow from Tomb of 5 corners, and the other is a Day caste character who was the daughter of one of the heads of a family in Nexus that was running an organized crime syndicate.  she has risen to be the number 2 for the current head of the family, who is actually a puppet that she uses to allow her to move freely and to hide her Abyssal nature.

Initially I want the characters to deal with the mentioned bandits in Tomb of 5 Corners, with the head of the Bandits being several Dragon-Blooded from a house that is looking to gain more money from the guild through other means.  The characters face the DB's and win either by killing them all or they DB's run away when they realize they are facing 6 Solars.

The Moonshadow then resurrects the fallen if the Zenith does not burn the bodies, being new he may not, and the Gang is taken in by the Day Caste Abyssal as part of the Crime family.

What I am wondering is do people think it is logical for DB's to join up with an Abyssal, if they A. are introduced to the person as an Abysmal, or B. they are introduced to the Abysmal as a regular human who hires them to get back at the Solars?

Also would it be logical for Outcaste DB's to join up with a Abyssal mafia person in Nexus?  My idea is that in order to get to the Abyssal slowly through the story the characters have to deal with each of the Lieutenants of the Abyssal's organization which I was thinking could be DB's to give them more power since I have a group for 6 solars and I am trying to figure out stuff that they can deal with that aren't solely Abyssals.  I figured the DB's could use undead creations that the Abysmal hands out.

I didn't find any information about Deathlords corrupting DB's at all.  Is it something that happens?

Re: Abysmals and Dragon-Blooded Outcastes

psychoph said:
What I am wondering is do people think it is logical for DB's to join up with an Abysmal, if they A. are introduced to the person as an Abysmal, or B. they are introduced to the Abysmal as a regular human who hires them to get back at the Solars?
DBs, especially those from outside the Realm, are just as likely to accept/reject Abyssals as anyone else is. I don't see anything particular to their Exalted status that would change their decisions.

psychoph said:
Also would it be logical for Outcaste DB's to join up with a Abysmal mafia person in Nexus?
This seems like it's really the same question as the previous one.

I'd question wether the Abyssals would WANT so many Exalts working for them. Hardly anything is actually illegal in Nexus, so if these people are truly criminals (that is, breaking some of Nexus' few actual rules), then they do NOT want to attract the attention of the Council. Having a bunch of Celestials and DBs running around in the organization is, I think, a good way to get noticed and bitch-slapped HARD by the Emissary.

-S

Out of curiosity, Psychoph, is your misspelling of Abyssal intended?

Been wondering for a while...

-J

Stillborn said:
This seems like it's really the same question as the previous one.

I'd question whether the Abyssals would WANT so many Exalts working for them. Hardly anything is actually illegal in Nexus, so if these people are truly criminals (that is, breaking some of Nexus' few actual rules), then they do NOT want to attract the attention of the Council. Having a bunch of Celestials and DBs running around in the organization is, I think, a good way to get noticed and bitch-slapped HARD by the Emissary.

-S
I was actually thinking about that and i decided that what I will probably do is have the organization based in Nexus, thus the illegal part only places it as illegal in other parts of creation.  I was also thinking that because the guild is a large part of Nexus's operations that then organization under the Abysmal would have more to do with interfering with Guild activities, which would interfere with Creations trade.  

I will definitely have to think about why an Abysmal would want to have that many DB's running around as Lieutenants.  it is probably better to make them Humans and then as the players work through the organization  those in charge start to hire DB's Outcastes in combat situations to attempt to protect themselves, or they try to convince the Abysmal to give them access to Undead resources.

This is definitely why i asked the questions though to help me think up ideas of how I more logically can place things and what makes for a better story.

psychoph said:
I was also thinking that because the guild is a large part of Nexus's operations that then organization under the Abysmal would have more to do with interfering with Guild activities, which would interfere with Creations trade.
Depending on how liberally you want to interpret the laws of Nexus, fucking with the Guild's cash flow even in the vicinity of Nexus could actually be quite illegal. Even if it's technically allowed, the Guild probably has enough power in Nexus to force the authorities to act, or to take matters into their own hands. The latter option might actually be more severe.

psychoph said:
those in charge start to hire DB's Outcastes in combat situations to attempt to protect themselves
I think a couple of Outcastes hired as bodyguards/mercs makes more sense than having them be criminal capos.

-S

I think it would make sense that more than a few Outcastes base themselves out of Nexus as hired muscle.

-S

Stillborn said:
DBs, especially those from outside the Realm, are just as likely to accept/reject Abyssals as anyone else is. I don't see anything particular to their Exalted status that would change their decisions.
Actually, let me amend that statement. DBs would probably be less intimidated by Abyssals than normal mortals would. Aside from that, I think they'd interact with one bringing along the same prejudices and personal agendas as anyone else.

-S

Stillborn said:
Depending on how liberally you want to interpret the laws of Nexus, fucking with the Guild's cash flow even in the vicinity of Nexus could actually be quite illegal. Even if it's technically allowed, the Guild probably has enough power in Nexus to force the authorities to act, or to take matters into their own hands. The latter option might actually be more severe.

-S
The way i am probably going to do it is that the "mafia" in nexus doesn't actually do illegal activity in nexus, just a base.  The DB's from one of the Houses, or a couple houses, are the ones that got the idea to robe guild caravans in order to put more money into their pockets.  I want them to be successful against the caravans being smart enough to hit those targets that are worth just enough to not be worth hiring Outcaste DB's mercenaries to protect the loot.  The trick then becomes getting the PC's to take on the Bandits without charging a steep price.  The way i figure it is that they probably won't want to come out and out and say that they are all solars, simply because 6 solars even in nexus will bring down the Wyld Hunt imo.  Thus because they would be mere mortals their fees should be about what a full mercenary company woudl take.  We shall see on that one.

After the Bandits are stopped I am now thinking that the Abysmal sees the profit and the posibilities that the DB's presented and takes over the organization.  She gets the Moonshadow to do most of the work for her therebye lessening the threat to her and having a scapegoat for if Nexus Authorities come knocking.

psychoph said:
The way i figure it is that they probably won't want to come out and out and say that they are all solars, simply because 6 solars even in nexus will bring down the Wyld Hunt imo.
I'm not so sure. The Council seems to be made up of several thinly disguised Solars. I'm sure the Sidereals (at a minimum) are smart enough to have figured that out already.

-S

MikeOQuinn said:
Out of curiosity, Psychoph, is your misspelling of Abyssal intended?
Been wondering for a while...

-J
nope just my inability to spell.  It is a natural laziness at looking how words are actually spelled.  I get it into my head this is what the wrod is and then it becomes habit of how to spell it based on how it sounds in my head.  I keep thinking of them as Abysmals instead of the true term Abyssal.  I think it also has to do with the word Abysmal being more common in my head than Abyssal and so my brain defaults to that word when i am not conciously concentrtating on fixing the spelling.

Stillborn said:
I'm not so sure. The Council seems to be made up of several thinly disguised Solars. I'm sure the Sidereals (at a minimum) are smart enough to have figured that out already.

-S
Well my hope is still they won't come out with it, due to 2 things.

1. They are all new to the game and have the impression that Solars are Hunted and they should keep themselves secret.

2. They don't know a ton about Nexus out of character so I am planning on keeping their characters relatively in the dark about the Council other than they are just the rule making body for Nexus.

I would imagine that the general populus of Nexus doesn't beleive the council to be anathema, but maybe Dragon-Blooded, or Gods.  If i played the council as Solars i would definitely have all public enforcements of laws be done by one of the aforemention types of peopel and alwasy have a small subset ont eh council of that type in order to throw off at least public suspicion and assume that the sidereals knew but have been unable to figure out how to remedy the situation.

psychoph said:
I keep thinking of them as Abysmals instead of the true term Abyssal.  I think it also has to do with the word Abysmal being more common in my head than Abyssal and so my brain defaults to that word when i am not conciously concentrtating on fixing the spelling.
"Abyssal" and "Abysmal" are more or less synonyms, and the latter is far more common in general useage. However, it also carries the connotation of "being of poor quality", which I don't think the WW folks wanted to convey ;)

-S

Joseph said:
Stillborn said:
Christianity is stupid. Give up.
You'll feel differently after you've heard a few biblical quotations.  They're quite convincing, you see.
Actually being raised Christian, and being far more knowledgable about the bible than I care to be, I've found that I still think its stupid. But then again I have issues with any mass religion. Having someone else what you should believe about divinity, et al, seems a little weakminded.

sorry, this is just a hot button issue with me, I'll shut up now...

SagaciousAscendingHero said:
Joseph said:
Stillborn said:
Christianity is stupid. Give up.
You'll feel differently after you've heard a few biblical quotations.  They're quite convincing, you see.
Actually being raised Christian, and being far more knowledgable about the bible than I care to be, I've found that I still think its stupid. But then again I have issues with any mass religion. Having someone else what you should believe about divinity, et al, seems a little weakminded.

sorry, this is just a hot button issue with me, I'll shut up now...
[sigh] Doesn't anyone recognize sarcasm anymore?

Whether or not the Council has Solars on it, the Emissary is one badass.  Remember, he bitchslapped a Third Circle Demon, something that an experienced Solar Circle would have difficulty to do.  If the Abyssals fuck with the edicts of the Council, they will suffer for it, as the individual Council members are as powerful as Gods while the Emissary seems to be as powerful as a Fetish.  I would not run it in Nexus.  If you want to play it like it should be, the Abyssals need to lie low and stay quite.  

On the Outcasts thing, some of the DB's they are recruiting might be Lookshy spies, possibly in deep undercover (we have techniques in real life that the CIA uses to completely submerge the native personality until a code phrase is said.  It is very dangerous, but it is sometimes used, and I doubt that, with Artifact and Charms and Sorcery, that Lookshy could not do one better than us.).  So the Abyssals recruit this one Outcaste, he stays around for a few sessions and then, when the time is right, sends a message to the First Field Force.  The next morning, a Lookshy legion lands in Nexus and goes after the Abyssals, hopefully capturing at least one for interrogation.  Lookshy is very nervous about Mask of Winters and I believe that it is within their contract with Nexus to act when it is necessary, the Emissary would not object, the Council might, but the Emissary has forced them to pay Lookshy for protection for centuries, so he will silence them or dispose of them as necessary.

(we have techniques in real life that the CIA uses to completely submerge the native personality until a code phrase is said.  It is very dangerous' date=' but it is sometimes used, and I doubt that, with Artifact and Charms and Sorcery, that Lookshy could not do one better than us.)[/quote']
It's certainly possible in Exalted, but IRL I don't think so. Not complete submersion. My study of cognitive philosophy taught me that our personalities depend largely automatic response built on physical structures in our brains, which change only very slowly and couldn't be set and reset with a simple code phrase. It's a lot like trying to get an entire, highly secure computer network to switch from Linux to Windows with a single command, from an unauthorised outside logon: you'd have to build the whole thing up to that purpose. Our brains have mainly been built up for trajectory-plotting, social navigation, integrating observations with emotions, memory, and stuff like that. Not altering personality quickly.

BurningPalm said:
It's a lot like trying to get an entire, highly secure computer network to switch from Linux to Windows with a single command, from an unauthorised outside logon
Easy... just use VMware.

-S

Holy shit! That's some impressive tech. But as I said, you'd have to build the whole system around doing it.

So I guess the necromancy version is a Void spell called something like "Higher Soul Archetype Manipulation" and it forces the subject's hun to assume an entirely different personality.

Or maybe that's the labyrinth version, and the void version links together a whole group of beings, allowing the necromancer to shift her own souls out of one and into another at will. OOOOoooo....

BurningPalm said:
Holy shit! That's some impressive tech. But as I said, you'd have to build the whole system around doing it.
Yeah. It's very cool. I just started using it at work.

-S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back