• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A Reaper's Shadow RP Page

NeverBetter

The Slayer of Pizza
In the Shadows of Hope lie doubt. In the Shadows of Joy are depression. In the Shadows of what I am, you are to be. I am death, and you are life. But how good can death be to life? Well, in death, at least you're not a toy for another's amusement...

The dull morning mist hung in the air just above the city, filtering down in thickness when it wafted down to these eerie greenish yellow windows full of shadows. Ease, my players, these are not more of you lovely people, just figures that lay on the pane of glass between them and this cloud, unidentifiable from this distance. To Skolas, this place was familiar, it could have been the fact that he worked in a town just like it, or thst his assignments often took him here, but he knows the area well.

The tall skyscrapers and compact roads would remind anyone else of New York, the town it is modeled after however, the lacking number of people to populate it is oddly surreal. Not that this wasn't surreal anyhow. There were a few vehicles on the road, but you wouldn't think that they see much use and are more as a novelty.

Our group sits atop the peer, where what looks like a giant ocean liner that previously had rest at the bottom of the ocean had taken off. Once again, another novelty, but it served as your vessel as you yet to have any powers or skills to call your own yet, and was the setting for our previous talks. You can recall the smell of cigars and the smoke making most things in the room invisible to one's eyes through its thick cloud. Only now do you know who the person you were speaking with looks like, but they obviously know of your appearance. The lack of light, but also a lack of any celestial bodies made it unclear if it were day or night.

"The city of the Dead isn't as.. Well... dead as one might think." Shira's dull-toned voice asked to his charge. "Is it, dear Allison?" He placed a hand on her shoulder, a tight grip like that of a older male trying to both intimidate and assure someone of what they were doing.

He drew a cigarette from his pack and lit it through focusing his energy on it, taking a breath out of the cancer stick. Not like it could hurt him, anyway. He took a step ahead of the group and turned to him, his piercing, sharpened eyes. His pupils dilated for a moment, trying to refocus his sight, and once foxused, his oddly eerie voice crawled over everyone's ears. "This will be our residential area for the time being. Be aware, though you may live here for now, do not cause trouble. Stealing items or other normally injust actions reflect on both yourself and your Reaper."

"Do not let us down. I will be taking the Reapers with me to finish the proper paperwork. If you wish to stay with the humans you took, you may, but I expect compensation in the form of a stiff drink afterwards. Are we clear, all?"

Shira didn't wait for these people to give him a confirmation. However, he did stop for a moment, realizing he bad forgotten one last thing. "You will be going to Kaipora Hotel, it's the taller one on the northeastern side from our current position. Hail a taxi or something and get there. Or don't and be obliterated. Your choice." He then vanished, his Blink ability taking him into the city.

Task: Reach Kaipora Hotel! If you wish you may slack off, sight-see, explore, and or so on. However, from here on in, every action you take will have a consequence, and though we do have a plot outlined, your actions, even now, can give you insight into the plot or change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan listened and watched as the rather creepy man had given them an objective and dissipated. It was a rather strange situation. One moment he was falling off a bridge and the next he made a deal of some sort and didn't die. He couldn't recall all the details of the deal but it was worth it enough to take. Looking around the room there were a few others but they were blocked by smoke for the most part. With a few coughs here and thier he felt a presence near him like someone or something was connected to him.

He heard a voice of a fellow reaper, one who goes by the name of Shira. A Reaper of the XVI Division, telling them to go to a hotel. He then Dissapeared. He stared off to the view of the ocean before turning to Dan.

"Shall we go, Human?" he asked, patting Dan by his back.

"This is the city of the dead...For once, I didn't carry a soul for the Gods." Tsanatos smiled, looking at his human; Dan Abress. "I heard you saved a life in the expense of yours...though reapers aren't supposed to,I'm sorry that I wasn't there to give you at least one more chance for joy...But i guess getting another chance to life does the same."

@Bolts

Dan turned to this rather tall skeletal figure. It was strange. Normally people would run at the sight of such a being but Dan felt different.

Sure... uhh. Grim reaper? He said not sure what to call them. If this was the city of the dead and they were reapers then it must be like those stories of death.

Its alright, That's why I did save em. I just.. like to help. Really, I assumed it was like life's code of 'to save one person another must perish' type of thing. He was easing more into the setting now. After recollecting his thoughts he managed to accept whats going on. He wondered what was at this hotel. They were probably moving to a better location to rest or something but he wondered if it really mattered. He stood up and waited till the skeleton was ready to walk as well before heading out.

Names Dan if you didn't know.

@Thepotatogod

Allie was about to swat Shira's hand off her shoulder but he moved it before she could. Weirdo. She didn't want his death touch or whatever on her. Not that it could do much. After all, she was dead. Right? This whole thing was more confusing than anything else. When he vanished, she let out a breath. Allie began to glance around the area, the whole thing making her uncomfortable. A city without people was like a burger without cheese... No, that wasn't quite right. Burgers tasted just fine without cheese most of the time. She shook her head. Whatever. Bad analogies aside, it put her on edge. She began to move away from the group and down the street, not particularly paying attention to the others, or even her direction. Getting some kind of bearing on the place would probably be helpful after all.

Eclaire was unsure to what she had to do. it was a very...interesting predicament she got in, and she regretted dying. But...but she had to get to Sora...she had to get back.

She followed the redhead, making sure her eyepatch was on.

Bailey's eyes snapped open. Even though they were wide open, it took a couple of seconds to focus them. Now... where was he? His eyes scanned what it could without moving his body.

Trees. The sky. The smell of dirt. The smell of burnt wood. The smell of home. He thought he died that day. It was winter. Wait, it's still winter. But there's not snow. He couldn't move. He couldn't remember. Why was he still alive? He was alive... yet he felt different than the last time he was conscious.

A dream? He would find out when he could move. For now, he would have to wait. Most of the animals wouldn't bother with him since they know him. Those oustider animals invading this territory would be the ones to look out for. Man, he wished he could move. If this wasn't a dream, he didn't want to die again.

Chris looked around himself in confusion. One moment he was walking across a crossing, then an impact from his left, and now he was being told what to do by some strange man, who promptly vanished from sight, leaving him with a group of other people. Because life hadn't thrown him enough curveballs recently. He had vague memories of something happening in between, but whatever it was, he couldn't remember it. Fuck life was weird sometimes.

"Well then. This is certainly something I've never done before." he vaguely told the surrounding people. He looked like he was the oldest among them. Oh, good. He peered curiously around, inspecting everybody. Who were these people? He felt a strange kind of... connection? Bond? Whatever it was, one of them gave him this feeling that the two were meant to be a pair, a group. Working together. Was that real, or was he making it up? Or maybe this was a lucid dream. No, that wouldn't explain anything. He shook the thoughts from his mind, and decided to go with his gut. He extended a hand towards his... his... partner? Partner would do. "The name's Vaughn. Chris Vaughn." God he felt cheesy saying that, but that's what slipped out. Too many movies.

@Deltorian Nephran you have been spoken to. Let's do this.

Note: I was going to use bbcode with this post. In light of my last attempt, however, I am just going to leave it be for a while.

Zach stood there staring wistfully at the city. There were no people, no cars and no noises. It felt completely empty, like the city was it was completely dead. Kind of fitting if he really was... no longer dead. As the buildings stood menacingly in front of him, one scene filled his head. He stared down at the bullet proof vest that he was wearing, completely undamaged at the time. "So much for this thing..." Zach said as he gently rubbed the area between his eyes, the point where the bullet had entered his head and killed him. The last thing he remembered as he felt the bullet rip through his head was the man that stood behind the murderer that had killed him. The next thing Zach knew, he had somehow made a deal with a Reaper and he had ended up here, where this was.

The man that was standing at the front had disappeared after explaining that we needed to get to a hotel, somewhere in the empty city. The man explained that we could do anything except for be late to the hotel and to steal items. Before Zach could ask his Reaper what was going on and how to get to the hotel, another man had come forward, extending his hand for a hand shake.

"The name's Vaughn. Chris Vaughn."

It was clear that the man was targeting him, mainly due to his forwardness and confidence. He wasn't lying either due to his cheerful and extrovert personality. Zach extended his hand to meet Chris' and firmly shook it. "Nice to meet your acquaintance, Chris Vaughn. I am Zachary Welton. Nice reference." It didn't take long for Zach to find a few more interesting points of Chris. He stared deeply at the man for a few seconds before turning towards the man that Zach had seen just before he died. He pointed him out to Chris and asked him, "I was wondering, is he the one that you saw as you died?"

@Fezzes

@Rhoenixx

Adjusting his glasses, Dylan stared with cold eyes at the brown haired boy, walking toward him. As a Reaper, he took the appearance of being shrouded with a dark coat and scarf, yet his features were still visible. Pale and slim, he circled Bailey while staring without emotion.

"I'll be blunt, I'm sure you'd appreciate such a gesture. If you're wondering if you're dead, then you are." He stopped pacing for a second, letting that information sink in before continuing. "There's still hope for you, however. If you're Bound to me, then you can help me investigate circumstances that have been causing us trouble. In return, you would be able to find your way back to being alive. Certainly, you can already feel it inside you."

Pausing in front of the human, the reaper suddenly smiled softly while placing his hand on Bailey's shoulder. "I'm Dylan, we'll be partners for now. Glad to be working with you."

Chris opened his mouth to respond, then thought better of answering right away. Zach was very good at staring unnervingly, and it set Chris a little on edge. It was kind of fuzzy but, yeah, the guy Zach was indicating had definitely talked to him recently. "I'd say so. Something about living again, and helping him. I, I don't know. Can't remember. Nice shake." Chris withdrew the hand and put them both in his pockets. "I'd start going, but I reckon we should wait for him-" He indicated the man he'd talked to with his head. "-to give permission or whatever the hell else needs to be going on."

@Deltorian Nephran

A voice spoke and it was circling around him, but he couldn't hear footsteps. He couldn't move to see who it was, and it kinda scared the crap out of him.

"I'll be blunt, I'm sure you'd appreciate such a gesture. If you're wondering if you're dead, then you are." He stopped pacing for a second, letting that information sink in before continuing.

"Wait, I'm dead?" He sure didn't feel dead.

"There's still hope for you, however. If you're Bound to me, then you can help me investigate circumstances that have been causing us trouble. In return, you would be able to find your way back to being alive. Certainly, you can already feel it inside you."

Oh.. that would probably explain why he couldn't move his body outside of a single twitch of a limb.

Pausing in front of the human, the reaper suddenly smiled softly while placing his hand on Bailey's shoulder. "I'm Dylan, we'll be partners for now. Glad to be working with you."

"Ya know... Thanks for bringing me back to life. I'm really, really thankful for that and I would love to talk to you about all this bring me back to life business," he looked above at the reaper, "but how long will it take until I get to move?"

@Soul Evans

The reaper stared down at his partner, trying to gauge his current strength. Other groups have probably set out by now, yet it seemed like they would need a few more minutes. "We're allowed to slack off so we can rest for a while," he said, taking a seat on the ground, "if you have any questions, now would be a decent time to ask." With blank eyes, Dylan wrapped his arms around his knees, gazing at the young human.

-Skolas, Reaper for Eclaire and Bailey, An Echo of the City-

Skolas, the most sinister Reaper in appearance was naturally floating amidst the group with his arms folded, in a state of deep contemplation as he observed his "Subjects"...as apprentices didn't fit, nor did he class himself as a "Guardian" per say, but he did what he needed to do and guides his Subjects as best he can. His three glowing eyes fixated on the two of them, Skolas unfolded his arms and floated near them and spoke out. "Eclaire, Bailey, I am Skolas. I will be your Reaper for this evening and beyond. Maybe you knew this, or you didn't. Either way, a common courtesy to introduce oneself, is it not?" He quizzed, gesturing with his head and hands to help emote his words, even if his voice was deep and had a growl to it which would only grow more prevalent were he to be infuriated.

Dylan's eyes suddenly turned cold, staring with a smirk towards the curious boy. It wasn't particularly aimed at Bailey, but rather how he felt on the topic. "I'm a reaper, if you would believe in such things. You're alive simply because you're one of the lucky humans to be given this second chance. If you're not fond of it, that could be rectified." Resting his cheek on his hand, Dylan's expression calmed down, turning into one of annoyance. "We gather souls of the dead, just like any other reaper you would've heard of. Unfortunately, they've been missing and we have no idea what's causing it. That's where you come in." Turning his attention to Skolas, Dylan contemplated on simply letting the fellow reaper explain the rest of the story. Skolas always had a calm, grandiose way of talking to his subjects, giving more credibility than his own casual, passionate demeanor.

He's a reaper.

Bailey could believe that because he was pretty sure he died in the forest. This guy wasn't normal either. Dylan didn't give off a stinky scent, and he couldn't hear footsteps when he walked. The guy's explanation made it sound like they were death gods. Maybe that was what being a reaper meant. For a moment, Bailey was confused as to why missing reapers would be troubling. A part of the worrying, he supposed, comes from the fact that there probably aren't as many reapers as there are humans. Maybe. He didn't really know. By the end of Dylan's explanation, Bailey could move his body, but it felt all tingly. He slowly sat up and realized that he was not in a forest.

Didn't he see a sky and trees when he first woke up? When did the scenery change? "Dude, where are we." Bailey's question sounded more like a demand for an answer. The teenage boy had to calm himself before he started panicking.

|Tag:

@Soul Evans |Bailey's Mood: Confused|Dream's Mood: Coming up with a solution|Music|

Though confusion was still rather high for our poor Shadows, the Reaper's tried to push them along, prodding them into a Taxi that sat near-by. The "smoke" from the engine was more like black mist, of what kind of liquid it formed from, you could not tell. Regardless, the driver-less car took off onto the surface street, racing around corners, and speeding onto a street about ten blocks from their original position lined with premiere buildings.

Movie theater, all the junk food one could ever hope to want to choose from, clothing shops, and more. In the center of this, an odd looking building, labeled Kaipora Hotel shined it's brilliant, glitzy lights. Only now would anyone take notice of the world's aesthetic: It looked like 1920's America, with bright colors, bold fonts, and odd design choices made to look unique. Even the music of the 1920's could he heard in the Taxi, if one strained their ears enough to listen to it.

Even the few Reapers that could be seen walking around were in time-relevant garb: No matter their shape, or size, or look. Some chose to take human shape for this to make it easy, but then you could also see a skeleton, cloaked in a constant smoke, wearing a Flapper's dress, the ruffles bouncing around with every step.

Only now did even the Reaper's notice the Kaipora's shape. It was oddly pointy, almost resembling a dart, but with extended fins, and the dart's needle were stuck in the ground. above, sitting on the fins, is a box-like shape, pointed to the sky. The Taxi pulled over to the side, dropping them in front of the building.

Inside, there was no desk of any kind, each room on the ground floor was unobstructed, save for the furniture sat in said lobby area. Reapers came and went, the doors just opening or shutting as the tenants were off to their jobs or coming home from a day of hard work.

The Reaper's knew for a fact that the hotel was free, before all this, they were informed that at the very top floor would be their home for the time being. Now it was time to enter and go to all of your rooms.

The reaper stretched his body, exiting the taxi. "We're in a city, of course." He answered rather unhelpfully, pushing open one of the doors to the Hotel while signaling Bailey to follow. Considering the human's personality, Dylan deemed it better to simply guide him to their room rather than explain on the spot. Walking through the lobby without minding any of the others, he pressed the elevator button with his slender fingers, entering the vintage styled corridor. His reflection could be seen on the walls as he rested his back against them, holding the door open for Bailey and anyone else who wanted to board the elevator.

Chris wandered along, not really comprehending much of what was said. He had died so suddenly, he was still processing just what had happened. He'd been crossing the road at a raised crossing, and he could hear an engine roaring closer. He assumed that the driver would be intelligent enough to stop. Apparently not. That people who acted like that were driving on the road astounded him.

As he thought, his feet carried him less in a certain direction, and more where they wanted to. Right now, he was idling towards an open elevator, and a vaguely vague-looking man was inside, holding the door open. For him? He wasn't assigning enough mental effort to the task to tell, still caught up in his own mind. Regardless, he walked inside, assuming that if he wasn't meant to be here, someone would tell him.

As he entered the elevator itself, he gave the man a terse nod, keeping quiet. He'd need to sit down and puzzle this all out later with someone who actually knew. Right now, he would just roll with whatever was going on, and pretend that he knew, like everyone else around him seemed to.

@Soul Evans (Say, what does your reaper look like? Or anything about him? I've got nothing to go on with describing Dylan other than 'slender fingers'.)

From a glimpse, Dylan knew immediately.

"Feeling lost?" He asked the absentminded man with a sly smile. "If you're looking for someone to explain things to you, I'd be happy to oblige. You might even find meaning to your current self." His hand was still on the door, holding it for Bailey as the figure cloaked in black continued to converse with Chris. Being in possession of two humans would be a troublesome team to maintain, yet it would certainly be an advantage once things were sorted out. "We're almost at our location, so we can continue talking there. You can call me Dylan."

"You can call me Tsanathos, human." Tsanathos smiled, as he walked beside his bind; entering the Taxi provided for them.

Moments later, the taxi stopped at their destination.

"Here we are, Kaipora Hotel. I'll may be able to explain the rest of our situation inside the building." Tsanathos said, opening the door for his human.

@Bolts

Chris blinked. Find meaning to his current self? What the hell did that mean? Were expressions like 'what the hell' applicable anymore, given what's happening to him? "Erm, yeah. Dylan. Right. Nothing like 'Janos the Accuser' or 'Viltak, Collector of Souls'?" Chris asked, with a degree of sarcasm. After a moment, he conceded. "I like it. Good name. Aragorn." Chris held out a hand for a handshake and struggled not to smirk.

@Soul Evans

"Son of Arathorn? It's truly an honor." Dylan replied, accepting the shake while bowing politely, absolutely livid. He could tell that he made the right choice already by accepting Chris as one of his Shadows, holding back a grin while he raised his head.

"A strange name for an equally strange being" Dan thought to himself as he was escorted to a taxi. It was a rather fast drive but seemed like a normal leisurely drive. Once the hotel was in front of them, his reaper opened the door.

"thanks, anything special about this place or was it just to get away from the bay?" He was curious about this place now and his tall lanky fellow that escorted him. So far he has been nothing but gentalmanly.

@Thepotatogod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back