Advice/Help A problem with Roleplay

Dynasty Girl

Even those without Hearts can love
I've noticed something on here. If you don't have Pristine Grammar and Spelling it isn't even Remotely possible to Find a partner to Roleplay with (i'm on my fourth attempt). I myself Am not the best When it comes to Grammar and Punctuation. It's Implying that People who's Native language isn't English or that (Like myself) have a Learning Disability aren't allowed to Roleplay in my opinion and that's Not Right. You don't have to be an Award winning Novelist to be able to Enjoy Roleplaying. As long as you can Read what Someone says you Shouldn't turn your nose up at them because their Grammar and Punctuation isn't perfect or they aren't a Spelling Bee Grand Champion. Roleplay should be fun for all,those who act like Elitists Make it Not Fun and Turns people off of Roleplay.

Dynasty Girl Dynasty Girl i completely agree with you! I am not the best at writing either believe me, and roleplaying is a hobby for me! [btw pm me for a Rp!]
Another thing that irks me in Rp is like the other week I came across someone who wouldn't let me play a female character just because they were male, kind of sexist I guess?...

Mm, some people can be really picky and rude. :c
Though, I have found that most people are accepting to anyone. I mean, no one likes someone who ruins the whole roleplay by getting way off track or using constant text talk. I have a really bad habit of making typos and not fixing them before I post, but no one has ever picked me up on it, besides myself.
I suppose it depends on the person you want to roleplay with. I'm sure you will find people to roleplay with~

I'm sorry that you have such issues finding partners, but honestly? People are allowed to have standards. It might not be important for you, but some people may enjoy a roleplay for the literary aspect. Bad grammar seriously detracts from the experience if you're that type of a roleplayer. Do you not want your partner to have a good time? Is their enjoyment somehow less important than yours?

English isn't my first language, but I wouldn't roleplay with a someone whose grammar is worse than mine. At the same time, I'd totally understand if someone refused to roleplay with me because I sometimes make strange mistakes as a non-native speaker. It's their prerogative.

You just have to find someone who has the same priorities as you do. I understand that it may be frustrating, but it isn't cool to shame people for the way they enjoy this hobby, either.

Bad grammar seriously detracts from the experience if you're that type of a roleplayer.

Actually, I find bad grammar to be one of the key factors in my journey as a roleplayer. But, anyway, to the meat of this discussion.........

It's Implying that People who's Native language isn't English or that (Like myself) have a Learning Disability aren't allowed to Roleplay in my opinion and that's Not Right. You don't have to be an Award winning Novelist to be able to Enjoy Roleplaying. As long as you can Read what Someone says you Shouldn't turn your nose up at them because their Grammar and Punctuation isn't perfect or they aren't a Spelling Bee Grand Champion. Roleplay should be fun for all,those who act like Elitists Make it Not Fun and Turns people off of Roleplay.

I do agree with your post. I actually agree as a literate role player. And I'm a little bit tired of putting in effort.

You are right that you don't have to be a award-winning novelist. You can be anyone. Role-playing allows us to express ourselves in ways we couldn't imagine. Anyone could do that.

Why bother with character sheets? Why bother with perfect grammar and description in every post? Why bother with world-building? Why bother with all of that when you can distill role-playing down into it's basic unadulterated form where it can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone? We're offending every basic role-player just by creating the damn thread in the first place so, why bother? Why bother with the effort?

Because, it wouldn't be enough for us.

In fact, I don't see these 'elitists' driving away other people from role playing. I see people inspiring people to become better at role-player. We're not actively distancing them from role-playing. Where you see people being shamed, I see people being awed by role-playing. Whether through copying a concept or improving their spelling, I see these 'elitists' showing other people a goal to aspire for.

Now, on self-reflection, I realize that this may sound a little pretentious. But, if you want to get a partner, you're gonna have to be willing to break a few eggs to get a omelette. Yes, this may sound like a paradox but role-playing requires effort.

And with that, I leave you be.

I think it depends on the context. Like for me I am fine if you make minor mistakes ( like maybe commas in weird places or the occasional out of place word or capitalization ) but if your writing is so bad I have to go through and edit your entire post just to be able to read it then I'm not going to be having fun.

And I'm not saying that to shame anyone either it's just - at what point is it unfair to me to have to write both your posts and mine?

That being the case I'm like I said pretty laid back in general about grammar - I have my own issues and I'm actually more likely to steer clear of non-native speakers for that reason. It's literally nothing to do with them - I just use a lot of idioms in my writing which can make it very hard for people to understand what i'm saying if they aren't familiar with specific turns of phrases. And while I do try to explain myself once again - it's not fair to my partner to have to constantly be "what does xx mean?"

I would say put in your interest check that you have issues with grammar and you'd be surprised how many people are fine with it. If you forewarn them than they can go into it with the mindset that - I'm gonna either have to be prepared to proof read or just let stuff go.

Plenty of people are fine with that you just got to let them know so they can adjust accordingly.

I've noticed something on here. If you don't have Pristine Grammar and Spelling it isn't even Remotely possible to Find a partner to Roleplay with (i'm on my fourth attempt). I myself Am not the best When it comes to Grammar and Punctuation. It's Implying that People who's Native language isn't English or that (Like myself) have a Learning Disability aren't allowed to Roleplay in my opinion and that's Not Right. You don't have to be an Award winning Novelist to be able to Enjoy Roleplaying. As long as you can Read what Someone says you Shouldn't turn your nose up at them because their Grammar and Punctuation isn't perfect or they aren't a Spelling Bee Grand Champion. Roleplay should be fun for all,those who act like Elitists Make it Not Fun and Turns people off of Roleplay.
I personally dislike how they also expect people to write a paragraph each post. If my post is only a couple of lines but is easy to reply to why does it matter. I feel like if I post a paragraph each reply that limits the others ability to respond to it in a number of ways

I've posted in threads of a similar nature before, and I still stick by my wants and desires. I'm someone that likes paragraphs for a response. I'm someone that likes extensive information in a profile. I am that asshole that likes to have things BBCoded and all that jazz. But, at the same time, I accept that people have their own way of having fun in terms of posting. I just wish it's the same back. I have these wants and standards because this is how I have fun with others. There's others like me out there, and it works. It's the same for every other roleplayer out there. I don't think and say one's better than the other and shouldn't exist. People do what they want. I just don't want to be called an elitist asshole because I prefer paragraphs responses or seeing sexy character formats. That's how it is for me these days. =w= /

Just a tip for you, don't capitalize the first letter of every word.

You should only capitalize letters at the start of a phrase and the "i" letter when that said letter is alone (as in, not connected to any other words, "I'm" and "It's" don't count).

And like many others before me said, I don't care about someone's else grammar aslong as I can understand them.

I've posted in threads of a similar nature before, and I still stick by my wants and desires. I'm someone that likes paragraphs for a response. I'm someone that likes extensive information in a profile. I am that asshole that likes to have things BBCoded and all that jazz. But, at the same time, I accept that people have their own way of having fun in terms of posting. I just wish it's the same back. I have these wants and standards because this is how I have fun with others. There's others like me out there, and it works. It's the same for every other roleplayer out there. I don't think and say one's better than the other and shouldn't exist. People do what they want. I just don't want to be called an elitist asshole because I prefer paragraphs responses or seeing sexy character formats. That's how it is for me these days. =w= /
And that's fine to each their own all's I ask is to be included in rps even if my style isn't what others prefer. It's becoming more and more of if you don't post in paragraphs nobody wants to rp with you and for us that are more short with posts it's not very fair. I personally like building character sheets and what not but some of them I purposely don't put much back story because it will be revealed later in the rp. I guess what I'm saying is I just wish people would still let others that only reply in a few sentences join in with the ones who Wright paragraphs. Cause Its nearly impossible for me to find a group that is excepting of my style and are doing an rp I'm in to.

That's the thing though. You gotta respect that as well with someone that wants to roleplay. I've faced the same things over the years of not being accepted in threads because I don't meet their standard. It initially sucks and what not, but I move on and respect the decision. I never saw it as being unfair. And, I'm not saying that there (isn't) threads that's a free for all. I do the occasional walk in and have different writing styles coming together. But, at the end of the day, I like users that want to join my thread meet my expectations. That's a right I have as a GM.

EDIT: Whoops! That one sentence doesn't make sense. xD

Dragon221 Dragon221

That's the thing though. You gotta respect that as well with someone that wants to roleplay. I've faced the same things over the years of not being accepted in threads because I don't meet their standard. It initially sucks and what not, but I move on and respect the decision. I never saw it as being unfair. And, I'm not saying that there (isn't) threads that's a free for all. I do the occasional walk in and have different writing styles coming together. But, at the end of the day, I like users that want to join my thread meet my expectations. That's a right I have as a GM.

EDIT: Whoops! That one sentence doesn't make sense. xD

Dragon221 Dragon221
Not saying I don't respect it. Just wish people would give me a chance. I have great ideas but no one gives me the time of day due to my style

Then, it's high time that something needs to be done. If you can't find other users, then, make them come to you. Why not make a thread? Not like a search thread or anything but a roleplay thread. Rip the ideas out of your head and let everyone see. See if there's others out there that share the same ideas. Come together and start something? It'd be more like... you're giving them the chance. NO! The opportunity to roleplay with you. The tricky part is selling the idea. Believe me, doesn't matter your preferences, that shit is tough as fuck. The first thread I posted up on RPN BOMBED. Boooombed... because it was too "anime" at the time. Too anime and out there. xD I tend to make threads when I'm sick and tired of not seeing what I wanna RP. Even if they fail... I keep trying.

Then, it's high time that something needs to be done. If you can't find other users, then, make them come to you. Why not make a thread? Not like a search thread or anything but a roleplay thread. Rip the ideas out of your head and let everyone see. See if there's others out there that share the same ideas. Come together and start something? It'd be more like... you're giving them the chance. NO! The opportunity to roleplay with you. The tricky part is selling the idea. Believe me, doesn't matter your preferences, that shit is tough as fuck. The first thread I posted up on RPN BOMBED. Boooombed... because it was too "anime" at the time. Too anime and out there. xD I tend to make threads when I'm sick and tired of not seeing what I wanna RP. Even if they fail... I keep trying.
Your right. But I don't know how to do that. I'm still trying to figure out how to operate this sight lol

... actually.. yeah. xD The site can be a little wonky in terms of set up. Why not start off at the bare bones? In a word doc and just writing a summary of the idea you have? Or, list some rules you want to at least enforce for the thread? Or, the idea of a world? Slowly, but surely, keep working until you're satisfied with the amount of information you wanna give to the users? Then... maybe figuring out the site will happen naturally? xD

About the topic...my 2cents

If this is about people refusing to roleplay because the grammar didn't meet their standard...then it is their freedom to do so. They're not turning up their nose or something like that, they're just exercising their right to choose what roleplay they want to do. Roleplay is about matching wants with each other, if one party didn't want to join the roleplay then the other party shouldn't force them to do so.

With how many people coming and going through this site everyday, I can say with certainty that there must be someone, anyone, who will be willing to roleplay with you. No matter how bad or good your grammar is, no matter how generic or esoteric your craving is, there will always be at least one individual who will take up the task and say to you "hey, let's roleplay."

If you still can't find that person?

Tough luck.

Just a tip for you, don't capitalize the first letter of every word.

Dude, didn't you hear what DynastyGirl said?

You're being a elitist with your perfect grammar and and all.

Stop offending people who have bad grammar! Criticism and offense is the same thing after all. It just means the same thing, only those people with fancy-shmancy grammar try to sound more cocky by using the 'c' word.

No 'c' word around here, gents.

EDIT:

Good god, people. I'm being sarcastic.

Last edited:
Dude, didn't you hear what DynastyGirl said?

You're being a elitist with your perfect grammar and and all.

Stop offending people who have bad grammar! Criticism and offense is the same thing after all. It just means the same thing, only those people with fancy-shmancy grammar try to sound more cocky by using the 'c' word.

No 'c' word around here, gents.

Um they were just giving some advice on a fairly basic tenant of grammar? They were perfectly polite about it.

Sometimes it's nice to have people give you a heads up when you make a mistake. I do it all the time with run on sentences and homonyms ( all the there's can bite me ).

It's not like they were hateful or rude they just said - heads up capitalization usually works like this.

It can be helpful to those who are unfamiliar with how that works in a sentence. I've had people do that exact same thing before and they were fine with a heads up.

There's a difference between offering advice and tearing people down.

Note: I do not want to advertise, I just want to help.

There is a free but legal web extension that helps you better grammar and provides you with synonyms for words, called Grammarly. It points out all mistakes you make and lets you fix them with the click of your mouse. I use it myself and I improved my writing a lot ever since. I won't provide a link, just in case the Staff determines that I'm advertising something, but still, it's good. I'm not sure it works on anything else than Chrome, but it's worth a try.

It was particularly helpful for me, cause I'm not English.

"Sarcasm does not work well in the internet."

No it doesn't. It's because of lack of tonal and visual cues. It's hard to tell when someone is being serious or making a joke without them specifically typing out ( j/k or /sarcasm ) because people will read things literally. It got so bad on another site that I had to like specifically put at the end of all my posts ( / just being cheeky guys )

you don't need to be a master of the english language and you don't need consistent paragraphs. all you need to do is get the intended point across to the readers as clearly and cleanly as you can. in fact, i'm often quite willing to tone myself down for newer roleplayers. as long as you don't type 2 word replies like "hugs u tighter". if you typed "X hugs Umbrie tighter, her bosom pressing against the small faerie's face". i could probably handle that. it is an example of a 1 line response i am willing to deal with,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back