Story A police investigation (prompt 3 from writing buddies!)

Blue winter rose

wandering storyteller
word count:1121
prompt: write about a police investigation using the words: Ominous, arrest, decay, squeal, reduce, feline, avoid, feet, blackberry, bark
---------
Roger sat in his car. He nervously he tapped on the steering wheel as he drove to his destination. It had taken months to search for Lucia. He had long given up hope to find the girl alive but, discovering someone’s body always seemed like a defeat somehow.

“Did they already arrest someone?” Lucy asked, as she nervously pushed her glasses better on her face.

"No, sadly not," Roger answered, as he glanced, at the girl beside him. She had dark brown skin and big brown eyes in a round face, making her look much younger than she was. She didn't look like someone, you would bring to a murder-scene. But, Roger knew she was a lot tougher than she seemed. He had learned that much in the halfyear she had been his intern. “This is the address blackberry street 13,” Roger said, as he stopped the car and stepped out. He walked up to the house, closely followed by Lucy. They were in a somewhat ominous neighbourhood. The majority of the houses seemed uninhabited. Still from one of the houses, the barking of a dog was heard indicating someone, somehow lived in the house. At least the dog did.

Roger looked in the direction of the girl. “Don’t forget to breathe,” he said, as he held her hand, pinching it shortly, before letting it go. “I wish I could tell you it will get better, but, honestly you just learn to deal with it better,” he said, as he thought back on his own memories.

The girl took a deep breath, “Not really helpful,” she said, as she grinned, putting up her brave face.

As they stepped into the house, a feline creature rushed in between legs, causing the girl to let out a high squall.

“You are there, finally,” Tommen said. It was true that Roger was tall, but next to Tommen, even he felt small. The man's threatening appearance had come of use many times in the years they had served in the army together. Both of them ended up in the police force. But, where Roger had let his dark brown hair grown out, Tommen still cut his dirty blond hair short.

“You brought your intern?” Tommen asked, smirking as he nodded in the direction of Lucy. “You sure she can handle this? How old is she anyway?"

“I am 26, sir,” Luci answered.

“I am sure, she is ready,” Roger insured the man, but as he looked at the girls shaking hands, he wasn’t all too sure.

“Very well,” the man said as he led them to the door of the living room. “I must warn you, it is not a pretty sight,” he said before he opened the door.

Roger clammed his jaws together as he saw the young naked woman on the floor with her back towards them. The report had spoken about a girl of 25 but, the girl laying in fetus position seemed barely reached 16. According to her parents, she had been an intelligent girl. What a shame a smart, beautiful woman reduced to nothing more than a body.

It was clear the girl had suffered, her back was scattered with blue spots. Some of them where corpse stain but, it was clear had been hit. A puddle of blood had formed around the girl, indicating she wasn’t moved.

Carefully to avoid leaving his fingerprints, Roger kneeled in front of the body. He gasped for air, as he saw the gaping wound in the girl's stomach. After he put on gloves, he pushed her long blond her out of her pale face. As her dead blue eyes stared at him, he was certain it was the girl he was looking for. She looked too much on the girl on the picture to not be the same girl.

He looked back at his intern to see how she was holding up. The girl still stood at the same spot, staring at her feet.

“Come,” he said, as he gestured her to come closer.

The girl slowly came closer and kneeled in front of the body.

“Can you tell me how far the decay process is?” Roger asked the girl.

The girl reached out for the woman but, Roger stopped her on time. “Don’t forget your gloves,” he warned her.

“Yes, of course,” the girl murmured, as she put on gloves. Her hands shacked, so it took a long time for she got them on properly.

Tommen sighed and glanced at Roger as to say I told you so, but Roger ignored him. "It is ok, you are doing great," Roger said to comfort the girl.
"Really?" Lucy asked.

"Really," Roger answered.

Lucy nodded shortly and carefully felt the woman’s arm. “Rigor mortis set in completely, so she must be dead for at least 6 hours. It is cold here, so likely longer,” the girl said, looking up to Roger to check if she was right.

Roger nodded, motivating her to continue.

“Her eyes have the stains of Sommer, so that supports the hypothesis,” the girl said, as she continued talking her voice got steadier. ”She has corpse stains,” the girl continued, as she carefully pressed on the blueish spot on the underside of the girl's arm. As she pressed the corpse stains disappeared, only to turn when she stopped putting pressure. “I can still push it away, so she can’t be here for longer than 24 hours,” she concluded, "so, she passed away about 7 to 24 hours ago."

“Very well,” Roger said as he glanced at Tommen. Told you, she would do fine, he communicated without words. “Did they already made pictures? Called the parents?” Roger asked as he stood up.

“I made pictures but, we didn’t call the parents yet,” Tommen answered.

“Good, come I think we have seen enough,” Roger said to Luci, who stared blindly at the body in front of her. The investigation had only distracted her temporary from the horror that had happened before. She shouldn’t be here much longer Roger decided.

“What will happen with her now?” Lucy asked.

“They will pick her up, her parents would need to determine it is really her,” Roger said as he walked to the door.

“Horrible,” Lucy murmured.

“Yes indeed,” Roger said nodding.

“And after that?” Lucy asked.

“After that, we no longer are looking for a missing girl but for a murderer,” Roger said as he led the girl back to the car. “But, first we have to tell a mother her daughter, is no more,” he said as he caringly put a hand on her back and led her out of the house.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back