• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

A Man of the Sea

Fintan frowned as the other scolded him about his health and that he would need to keep a close eye on it. He didn't want to go back, and he looked at Psari pleadingly "Please...? I haven't been out in so long, and I really want to learn more..." he pouted with a rather irresistible look that was hard to say no to. After all, Psari had been busy lately, and Fintan promised he would only go into town when accompanied with Psari...and he didn't know when the next time Psari would have enough time would be, so he didn't want to lose today. Not only was it the fact of being able to see town...but he'd also come to value the time like this that he got to spend with Psari. He smiled as he asked about getting the mermaid book and the distraction seemed to work as Psari got him the book, and then they were soon on their way out again "Music huh...? We have that too. I wonder if it's any different here..." he mumbled to himself in curiosity as they walked towards the music store.

"Well, we definetly have a variety of music, some better and some worse." Psari smiled. "It all depends of what stlye you prefer to listen to. That's what we're going to find out today." They walked over to the music store, it sat on a street corner, humbled by the cafe and gamestop that surrounded it on each side. It was one of Psari's favorite hangout spots as a kid. Once they were inside he directed Fintan to the lanes of CD's that were present throughout the store. Psari wanted to show him the music sampler, a few pairs of headphones all laid in a row. It would give Fintan the chance to hear some of the different genres of music that the store provided. "Check it out Fintan, we can both listen to the same song." He grabbed a pair of headphones and placed them on Fintan's head. tucking his hair out of the way. Psari put on his and pressed some buttons, choosing to listen to jazz first.

Fintan nodded his head a bit as he listened to the other, following him towards the store. He looked around curiously as they stepped inside, finding it somehow similarly resembled the library in a way. He followed the other towards where he was lead to a set of headphones - of which Fintan had no clue what they were or how to put them on. As Psari put them on his head, he smiled gratefully before the other started playing music and his eyes lit up "This is fascinating!" he exclaimed as he looked to Psari with child-like amazement "How does this work...?" he muttered as he stared at the screen in fascination, figuring it was something like the games and television that he had learned about previously. Some technology thing, again. Humans really were so brilliant, he thought. He scrolled through the list of songs curiously, picking another one out. Not knowing the genre, he picked at random, the song ending up being rock - much different than jazz, and Fintan jumped a bit in surprise at the sudden change of tempo.

Psari held back a chuckle at the surprise that was on Fintan's face, but anyone could tell he was amused. There was just so much Fintan had never experienced before and it always pleased Psari that he was the one introducing them to him. Psari had never considered himself to be an interesting guy. He lived simply and contently. He was a laidback kind of guy, it was nice that Fintan was so entertained by the simple things that he did with him. It almost made him feel guilty sometimes. Maybe he should try to take him to an amusement park one day. It's been awhile since he's been off the island. "You picked out a good band. Guns N' Roses." He tried going through all of the genres he could, there were more than plenty of them to go through. Latin, Techno, Country, Classical, Indie, Pop, and even Rap. But eventually Psari had to call it quits before they ended up listening to songs for over an hour. That, and the store clerk was starting to give them looks. "Alright, I have plenty of music back at the house you can listen to later if you want but we should get out of here now." He took off Fintan's headphones after taking off his and put them away.

"Guns n Roses?" he repeated the name curiously as he looked to Psari. That was an interesting band name....kind of ironic, wasn't it? He supposed there was still a lot he had to learn and understand about the human nature and culture they had, but he had certainly been enjoying his time out and exploring the town again. When Psari mentioned they should be leaving, he nodded his head "Okay" he agreed, not complaining as he let the other take the headphones out and they headed out of the store "There really are so many neat things on land" he said with a smiled and turned to hug Psari "Thank you for taking me out again today. I know you're always tired with how busy you are. I really appreciate it" he said, wanting to make sure the other knew just how much he appreciated his being there, and helping him learn about humans and land and everything.

"I'm sure there are plenty of cool things where you're from as well." Psari rubbed the back of his neck, glad that Fintan was enjoying himself. He smiled when Fintan thanked him. "Well I figured since I have to leave you home alone so often that it's the least I could do to take you out of the house. I wish I wasn't always so busy. But I don't really get the chance to have a whole lot of days off." Psari directed them to the smoothie parlor as a sort of surprise for Fintan. He hadn't been there yet and Psari wanted him to see all of the best places to go on the island. Soon enough Fintan will have seen everything the small town had to offer. "Besides, I like spending time with you so it's not much of a hassle."

Fintan smiled a bit and shrugged his shoulders as he released the other from his hug "I suppose...but it all gets boring eventually" he said as they walked towards wherever their next destination was. Fintan had no idea where they were going, but he really didn't care. As they were walking, he felt the painful tickling sensation in his throat again, but forced himself not to cough, remembering what Psari previously said about if he coughed again like he had before, then they would go home. Fintan wanted anything but that...it was so rare he got to come out with Psari, and he wanted it to last as long as possible. So he forced himself to hide and suppress the urge to cough, smiling to the other "I don't mind. I understand you're busy, and you have to work and everything to live. I'm grateful enough for the time you do spend with me, and for letting me stay in your house" he said with a smiled as they walked up to the smoothie shop, Fintan looking at it curiously "Another food place?" he asked curiously. He was slowly starting to recognize at least what types of stores buildings held inside, such as if it was food related, houses, or entertainment buildings. Hearing the other say he liked spending time with him, he found his cheeks heating a shade of red in embarrassment as he looked to the other "I really like spending time with you too, Psari" he said with a smile.

Hey, you're getting pretty good at recognizing these places." Psari grinned, it was pretty imrpessive how fast Fintan could pick up on these things. "Yeah, it's a smoothie place." His smile was quickly paired with what looked like a bit of pink that dusted his cheeks. His blue eyes seemed to shine a tad brighter at Fintan's kind words. "Well I'm glad you do. It wouldn't be much of a trip if we didn't like hanging out together. Now come on, this place has like over thirty different flavors here." He laughed and took Fintan inside ans showed him the menu. He was sure to tell him that it was his treat so Fintan could get what ge wanted.

Fintan smiled a bit proudly at the way he was praised for being able to recognized some of the types of buildings and such now. As the other explained it was a smoothie, he tilted his head as he walked in with the other, glancing up at the menu which held a very long list of flavors "Whats a smoothie?" he asked curiously, reading over the flavors, of which most he didn't recognize what they were, since, of course he wasn't familiar with most fruits and things on land. He glanced to Psari before smiling "I'll have whichever one is your favorite" he said with a grin.

"A smoothie is a type of drink." Psari explained. He grinned and looked back at the menu. "Alright, I'll get us a couple of kiwi strawberry smoothies then. Take a seat while I go order them for us." Psari went and got the drinks, waiting for maybe a few minutes before taking a couple of tall glasses back to where Fintan chose to sit. He sat his drink in front of him with an eager look in his eyes. "Trust me when I say you're going to love.....these." Psari trailed off, noticing a commotion that was happening outside. Some of fishermen that he knew and were acquainted with seemed to be at a stand still with the employee's of the new fish market business. 'These guys don't like taking any breaks do they....' He thought in aggravation. He looked to Fintan apologetically. "Give me a minute or two would you Fintan? I have to take care of something really quick." He stood from his seat after taking a sip of his smoothie. "Stay here okay? I'll be right back." He was out the door in a hurry.

"A drink?" he asked curiously as he looked back up at the menu seeing how the smoothies were displayed in images in cups. "Oh, I see...." he mumbled curiously as he looked at the ingredients that he recognized a few of the fruit names "How interesting...making food into a drink" he commented before the other told him to go take a seat while he got the drinks. He smiled a bit and nodded "Alright" he agreed, before looking around the small cafe, and due to the nice weather, decided o sit in one of the many outside seating options.

A minute later the other was walking over and he smiled taking his drink when offered it "Thanks' he said as he took it, looking at it curiously as he watched the other take a sip, before he cautiously did the same, his eyes lighting up "Oh! This is delicious!" he commented, before the other was trailing off about something and a moment later rushing off down to the corner of the shop where there seemed to be a confrontation of sorts. He listened to what Psari had said, and patiently tried waiting in the seat. However as he watched the confrontation from afar, Fintan couldn't help but grow a bit worried when he saw Psari getting pulled into the argument. Trying his hardest to listen to Psari's words, soon enough after five or so minutes had passed and Fintan got up, approaching the situation and walking up beside Psari "Whats going on...?" he asked softly, being careful with his words not wanting to worsen the situation in any way, and he looked to Psari worriedly.

"Don't you guys ever get tired of giving people problems." Psari showed up, to the obvious relief of his comrades. His smile was not a happy one, but one of annoyance. His eyes peeked over his rose tinted glasses darkly. One of the men who looked partially official gave Psari a narrowed look. Psari was one of the strong ones, giving the new fish market no room to move in on what he and others saw as their territory. "You aren't the only place people can get fish anymore. We are only trying to explain that." One of the other fishermen, Conner, immediately backfired. "You're trying to steal all of our key fishing spots! You cannot expect us to willingly sell off our land for money!" The man grimaced, as if trying to talk to someone of lower intelligence. "We are offering you a chance to work with us-" Psari snorted. "You mean work for us. I don't know what game you're trying to play. But on this island we are all expected to share fishing locations. You can't come here and try to buy private fishing space so you and your corporate collection of sailors can swoop in and take all the renvenue."

"We can't bring in our boats and fish in the same places as you can. We are only trying to compromise." The man countered, giving Psari an annoyed and calculating look. "You all can't support this little pocket of land with just fishing. If you were willing to work with us we might be able to make this place into something that matters on a global scale." Psari clenched his fists, and angry grin appearing on his face. "This little pocket of land is our home, our island, and as long as we are here you will not turn it into a goddamned business deal!" Tensions were high when Fintan showed up at his side. A bit of his frustration melted away as he looked at him. "Fintan what are you doing here?" He whispered.

Fintan had just arrived at the scene whn voices were being raised, and Psari had just yelled at the people they were having an argument. Fintan flinched a bit at the loudness of his face...he'd never seen Psari so upset before. Sure, he'd see him come back home after days of work and selling fish, and how he was lately stressed because of these new fishermen around. He supposed the ones he was talking about were these ones. But he had never seen Psari so upset, or so loud before...and it greatly bothered Fintan.

He frowned a bit as he looked to Psari who suddenly turned to him, momentarily seem to calm down when noticing he was there. "You were taking a while....and...." he trailed off, glancing around seeing how the entire street was now well aware of the confrontation taking place, due to how loud they were being. Frowning a bit, Fintan turned his attention to the foreign fisherman "I suggest you guys go home for the day. Regardless of how free a will you have, this island has more than you. Everyone here supports the fisherman here, so even if you think your way is better, you'll have shit luck getting anyone on board your whole business plan and buying from you" he said with a glare "Now leave. I don't forgive those who piss my friends off" he said a bit more harshly. He was feeling a bit lightheaded from the altercation, however, Fintan did well to ignore it and hold his ground.

Seeing the civilians and fishermen were giving them mostly negative looks and responses was bad enough. But Fintan had spoken the honest truth, and the situation was clearly not getting better for them now that Fintan had come to Psari's side. The man rasied his hands and turned away. "One day you'll see that we are only trying to help the island." The men left with a sense of purpose that left Psari feeling sick, nervous, and paranoid. It was hard to find anyone so crazy about fish that they would try and buy every key fishing spot they saw. If made him feel like they weren't just here for the fish but something else, something bigger. He slumped a bit, nodding and smiling at the thanks and gratitude he and Fintan recieved from the fishermen before they all went their separate ways. "Thank you Fintan." He meant it sincerely. The island, the people in it, his career, they were all he had. Having someone threaten something that he held so important made him both infuriated and scared. What was he without the island, without his boat....he wasn't anything, just a pitiful soul who didn't have anywhere to go.

"I'm sorry that you had to see all that. I thought you would stay in the smoothie shop." He gave him a nervous smile. Psari hadn't wanted him to witness that side of him. But sometimes he was just so afriad of losing things that he would snap, doing everything in his power to defend it. He was always like that, even when his family were still with him. He had the innate need to take care of anything precious to him. It had nearly killed him when his family was gone. If he lost the island...if he lost that....

He didn't want to think about it. Fintan was just adding in to the things he considered important to him. He wasn't used to someone defending him outside of the other fishermen. It was something special and scary at the same time.

Keeping narrowed eyes on the competing fisherman, Fintan watched as they eventually gave up, for the time being, anywyas, and headed on their separate way, seeing they weren't going to get anywhere with words today or reasoning. With them gone, Fintan relaxed a little bit, before smiling politely to the other fisherman who soon went on their way. Turning his own attention back to Psari as he spoke to him thanking him, he offered a small smile "Don't worry about it, Psari. You're my friend...so I'm not going to let anyone push you around. Or try to, anyways. I know you can hold your own against them" he said with a grin.

As they turned to head back to their table at the shop, the first step Fintan took, he stumbled a bit from the wave of dizziness that seemed to come crashing through him after getting worked up. He reached out to hold onto the others hand "Lets go finish our drinks, it's still a nice day" he said, using his redirection of words as an excuse to hold Psari's hand. Really though, it was because Fintan felt a bit unstable, and his chest was swelling up again in pain, that earlier sensation of it being hard to breath coming back again, but this time stronger. He tried to hide it from Psari at first, not wanting to worry the male he cared so much about, however, as they had made it back to their table, the sensation wasn't going away, as his breathing became a bit labored "P-psari..." he spoke a bit shakily, glancing to the male with a slightly confused but worried expression "I-" he started to speak, only for his next word to come out as a cough, wish only worsened the constricting feeling in his chest and throat.

With one hand on his mouth to cover his coughing, another hand reached out to the edge of their table for some form of support as he struggled to breath. He wondered what was wrong with him, why was it so hard to breath? The burning sensation of lack of oxygen only increased in his chest the more he coughed. Eventually though, the coughing started to subside, however, along with it did his consciousness too. His vision blurred as his head throbbed and lost consciousness from the lack of air.

Psrai gave him a slightly concerned look as they made their way back to the smoothie shop. Fintan looked like he was having a hard time breathing. "Fintan? Are you alright?" His eyes widened as Fintan started to slump and pass out at the table. "Fintan?!" He grabbed a hold of his shoulders as the other customers looked at the in alarm as well. One woman seemed to be calling 911. Psari was panicked as he took Fintan by the shoulders and tried to figure out what was wrong with him. He gave him CPR when he saw that he wasn't breathing properly, but it didn't seem to help that much. By the time paramedics came Psari was a complete mess. He was snapping at anyone that tried to get him to stay behind. What went wrong? He knew he should've taken Fintan home when he had the chance! If he had just followed his first mind this would've never happened. He looked towards Fintan as the ambulance speeded towards the town clinic. He felt almost sick with worry.

Eventually he was forced to wait outside the hospital room. He was pacing outside the door so much that anyone watching would've thought he was going to make a hole in the ground. His mind was all over the place. Maybe....maybe he shouldn't have let him stay for so long. Fintan should've gone back home by now. Hell, it was a risk taking him to the hospital because his body could be different than than a humans. The sound of the door opening brought him out of his thoughts. The doctor didn't look morose, that was a good sign. "Come in Psari, your friend is fine." Psari heaved a big sigh of relief as they walked into the room, but his hear almost stopped at the doctors next words.

"Your friend was dangerously dehydrated. If you hadn't caught this when you did he might've died."

From when Fintan passed out to when he started to wake up in the small town clinic, Fintan was unaware of what had happened throughout that period of time. He had no idea what had happened during that time, or even why he had ended up passing out. While he was at the hospital - of which it actually wasn't even that much of a hospital, with the small island it was a small medical clinic. When he started to wake up, he was unfamiliar and confused at his surroundings. During his time, he had an IV needle in his arm, which was supplying fluids to him to help his dehydration.

He shifted a bit as his vision cleared upon opening his eyes and he looked as he heard a familiar voice and saw Psari come in. He instantly looked more awake as he sat up, but then suddenly stopped, since it caused him to be dizzy "Psari!" he said with relief, watching as the doctor make sure he was okay before leaving the room. Fintan hadn't spoke when he first woke up. He was aware he was still on land, however he didn't know where, or what was going on. He was smart enough not to really ask, since he was sure he'd probably say something unnatural, and he looked to Psari when they were finally left alone "PSari....where am i?" he asked with a frown "What happened?" he asked as he looked to the needle in his arm, frowning at the unknown and foreign object as he tried to take it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back