Idea A Historical Fantasy Idea - Thoughts/Discussion?

AlbaGuBrath

"Scotland Forever"
Just out of the blue just now, I had an image that I think would make a super cool story at some point! But, right now, that's all it is, just a basic image and nothing else. So, I wanted to mention it here and 1) see if anybody else would be interested in such a story and 2) discuss ideas and such to develop into something a little more solid.

My image was this... WWII, the Battle of Britain... but with dragons.
Not necessarily dragons, maybe griffins or something, but dragons are cool. My thought was that, for whatever reason, the world in this twentieth century is not heavily industrialized, but is largely magical. I think maybe there's a small amount of magic in everything, though mostly just minor cantrips and such. So, when war breaks out, instead of an air force flying planes, there's a specially trained group of dragon riders that essentially fulfill the same function. But the dragons are sentient too, so they have to be recruited and/or trained to fulfill these missions, and there has to be a bonded partnership developed between a rider and their dragon. I think a good part of the beginning would be during this training, with a mix of young recruits and dragons meeting each other for the first time and experienced soldiers with varying perspectives and outlooks. There may be missions later on, ultimately culminating in the Battle of Britain.

I think it would be an interesting concept that could either just be a casual, fun story or a more serious one (depending on the approach and which questions are discussed). I just wanted to know what y'all thought about it. Would you be interested in this sort of story? What sort of questions do you think should be discussed? Any ideas for fleshing out the world/plot/mechanics?

It's like that one story with the Englishmen and their big-ass dragons in the Colonial times, I don't remember what that one's called, I've never read it.

orlrighty then lads who's ready to shoot some focken notzi dragoons outta the sky with our scaled friends in arms?

I don't have an explicit interest in any of this yet, but I do have questions regardless:
  • Where do the Dragons come from? I imagine it's a Harry Potter deal where different breeds of dragons come from different countries, and the Siberian frost wyverns are the scariest the Red Army has to offer.
  • How much tea is required to sustain an entire British fleet of dragons and their riders?
  • Do we still have guns and explosives? I mean, guns were a pretty big deal in WWII, and a lot of gun lovers are pretty nutty about 'em even today.
  • How different would the movie 'Saving Private Ryan' have been with dragons?
Fuck I ran out of questions I'll ask more serious ones later

It’s basically an alternate napoleanic wars where dragons are used in wars.

It’s really interesting actually. If you want to look up the books or even the wiki for ideas I highly recommend it

official clown business official clown business That's actually an interesting idea I hadn't thought about. If the United Kingdom has dragons, then it would make sense for Axis powers to have them as well.

As to the dragons and guns questions...
Yeah, I think something along those lines could work, with specific types of dragons living in different areas. I don't know whether there would be wild dragons, or if there would be specific lands set aside for dragon use, or if was a war and now the eggs are meant to avoid that (think Eragon) or what. But I like the idea of there being many different types of dragon.
Firearms... Yeah, i think those could be a thing too, and probably some sort of explosives. How far advanced, though, I'm not sure.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy That sounds neat! I'll check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back