• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A College For Mages

shu_by_kyoshiro22-d9wr4cb.png

• Magics:

• Sorcery:

Ambience

[*]Nature Magic:

• Ice

Shu was standing near the entrance to the dining hall, looking around for an available seat in the freshman tables. Most of the tables were full of nervous looking freshman like himself, and occasionally there would be some one trying to break the ice by showing off a trick or two. Shu finally noticed a table with only two people sitting at it. The two girls seemed to be indifferently looking at the tableware. Making his way to the table, Shu began to drop the temperature around him. It was already hot enough in this school, the time of year that it was and all, but cramping this many people into one room was only going to make it worse. As he carefully wove his way through the room, absorbing the thermal energy in the air, he made a point to pass by the teachers table and introduce himself to the teacher.

"Mae l'ovannen!" Shu Greeted the first teacher he came across as he approached the long table at the head of the table, a half elf like himself. He soon realized that he spoke in his village's specific greeting, which was naturally in elvish, and corrected himself. "That is, Well met!." He placed the tips of the index and middle finger of each hand against each other, and bowed as he would have to his village elder. He was using customs from his village without even thinking about the fact that outsiders might not recognize what he is doing. "I look forward to working with all of you in my time here." he said to all of the teachers at the table as he lifted himself back into a proper standing position. In his greeting he forgot to focus and dropped the temperature by another 3 degrees unintentionally. "I was only wondering is the Sorcery teacher was already present." Shu inquired, thinking that this was as good a chance as any to get to know who he would be learning from. It is true that Shu primarily came here to learn Wizardry, but he was also fully intent on learning more about what his own sorcery was capable of.

@Tetro @Dhuum @AAndroidD

(Just letting you two know. Krotus is completely stoic except for the small bits of laughter or positive moments he rarely reveals. So he wouldn't be sounding or looking smug, ever. It is literally not in his nature to be smug or arrogant or show an ego. He's too closed off for that kind of behavior @Dhuum @AAndroidD )

Krotus was about to respond to the dwarf when he caught sight of a man walking towards them. He internally groaned, having met plenty of people similar enough to the man to know that he was someone who picked up on things fast. The invasive perception and intuition of the teacher made Krotus only become more guarded. For now though he wouldn't act like anything was out of the ordinary. After the man sat down and turned to him and the dwarf he was suddenly also approached by a student. Krotus looked at the lad and listened. "I am the Sorcery teacher... And I know what that means. I'm not an infant." He sighed almost as if to show he was disappointed with the boy. He grabbed his ear, which obviously showed that he had elvish blood, "Pedin edhellen." He spoke in the boy's native tongue. "I am not one my students work with, just work under. Something tells me though that my dwarven associate here is the kind you work with. He's far friendly than I." He admitted, staring at the boy with his stone cold eyes. "Why was it you wanted to know if I were present? Did you need something? Speak up now." He gestured for the student to let it out.

@DerekMess

@DerekMess @Tetro

Dal saw the student approach the table, and greet the teacher he thought had a smug feeling about him. He now realised he was not smug, but simply lacked any decent expression one would take for pleasing.

The young boy was struggling to let go of his tradition it seemed, and the sorcery teacher was not giving him a good time.

" Greetings, seedling." Dal said to the student with an effortless smile. " I see you are having trouble adjusting, but worry not. I think you will find yourself right where you need to be."

Nyxal, guide this child through the passing night, help him this his troubled time, grant him ability to achieve strenght with guile and wit. Dal sent the internal prayer for the child.

"I am Dhal'um Darkwing, your Tactics and Stealth Application teacher. Ice is a very formidable tool to have. Imagine...an endless hallway of mirrors. Maybe Nyxal will grant you his favor. Do not be surprised little one, Nyxal decieves all, even Death." Dal said with a slight smile on his pale face. Rhea took flight and started patrolling the Dining hall in large circles.

Dal was not usually like this, but he felt Nyxal gave him the ability to be sly in this moment, for reasons only known to the god.

Nevertheless, Dal was now expectantly awaiting an answer from those present.

Another staff arrival - headmaster couldn't be taking too long now. What on earth was the holdup anyway? No matter, the quirkiness of this other newcomer to the college intrigued Morund enough to distract him from his growling stomach. The exchange between the newly introduced Dhal'um and the student actually stepping forward to address them. Morund left the interaction here to Dhal'um, not wishing to infringe. Instead he listened, noting the temperature drop emanating from the student. Sorcery? would make th'most sense for something uncontrolled, although...

He was not provided the luxury of pondering further by his own desire to be a part of the warmth of conversation with the raven-bearing, "Nyxal's blessin's, ol'timey speech, ev'n for an Elf, I know elves never look like they age even at death's door but it won't take a genius to realise you've got many a year under yer belt. Dhal'um was it?"

The dwarf paused to laugh at his own observations before continuing, "Guess I'm gon'to have to repeat me introductions. Morund, wizardry. You're a faith mage, right? It's clear 's day after your address to the first year. Haven't seen yer face around which means you too are a new teacher? Granted I ain't been told of any newcomers other than sorcery cov'rage that our inexpressive friend 'ere's coverin'. What'll you be teachin' to students then?"

Dal turned to the dwarf, his facade of slyness gone as if taken by the wind itself.

"Tactics and Stealth Application. Judging by your demeanor and accent, I assume you are a descendant of the old families? You do seem to have some interracial mix about you.

Yes, I am a faith mage, if you wish to call it so. Nyxal awards those with will, not faith. If i wish for something hard enough, and my will is strong enough I can bend reality with the help of my patron god. It has to do with a process known as projecting a subjective ìmage into the objective realm of others. You might call it illusions, but is an illusion if someone really feels a fire burning him through and through and eventually faints from the nervous override? I do not think so.

Either way...sorry. I got carried away a bit.

You see, in the old times, people who had patron gods as magic providers were respected a bit more.

It seems I had been longing for human interaction more than I though, much so I cannot seem to quit ranting." While giving this monologue, Dal burst out into a series of gestures he only now realised were only going to mark him as a nut job. He slowly put his hands down and lowered his head.

" Sorry, yes. I am a faith mage. Pleasure to meet you, professor Morund? May I call you that? "

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex glanced up to the other student for a flicker of a moment and was able to tell the woman was somewhat uncomfortable with the closeness of the seating arrangements just as she was. The hall was already growing too loud for Alex's taste as the murmurs were slowly growing to less-hushed conversations between the senior students reacquainting themselves with each other, remembering the best moments of last year, and Alex caught snippets of conversation that were completely pointless in her mind. Who did what over the summer? Excited for another new year, eager to meet the new students. Alex wasn't at all eager to meet them and lowered her gaze to her tea mug where Murc resided. The lizard sneered up at her and with her head lowered so her silvery-blonde hair fell, obscuring her face, Alex sneered back.

That was pretty much the extent of their friendship. Murc stayed with Alex as he'd vaguely communicated many times, to keep her out of trouble. Alex defended herself saying she had the situation under control and didn't need him, but she didn't want the small amber-eyed beast to leave, either. The companionship was interesting and lit up her most boring days. They messed with each other like a strange pair of brother and sister, Murc with pouncing her and Alex with using her magic. She clutched the ceramic cup with a small grin on her face as there was still a puddle of tea left in the bottom of the cup, which her friend happened to be sitting in. She felt the ceramic grow cold in her hands as the water within it slowed and after a minute or two (she went slowly so Murc would not notice until her little trap was complete) frost was creeping up the insides of the mug. Feeling the ice beneath him, the lizard gave a quiet, equally surprised and annoyed trill and clawed himself out of the mug to sit on its rim, glaring up at Alex. She smiled, returning the mug to one without ice, drank the rest of the tea, and lowered it back into her lap for Murc to hop in.

A mini staring-battle later and Alex straightened her posture, looking up to the teachers' table. A few more spots were filled than when she'd arrived, however what she could assume was the Headmaster's seat was still empty. Frowning and wondering if they were all early or if the headmaster was late, she brushed her hair back behind her ear before allowing her mind to wander as the hall continued to grow louder.

shu_by_kyoshiro22-d9wr4cb.png

• Magics:

• Sorcery:

Ambience

[*]Nature Magic:

• Ice

Bewildered at the rough way of speaking the sorcery teacher used with a student, it took a few moments to register what had actually been said to him. After standing there blinking like an idiot without responding, the meaning of the words finally clicked and he began to speak "Ah yes... I was only trying to become acquainted with you, I am a Wizardry major you see so I figured I would have plenty of time to meet him. So I figured I should meet you since I may be in need of your guidance in the future." Shu then took the time to explain that he has been struggling with his own sorcery for many cycles now and that he still barely understands how to control it.

Shu listened to the tactics teacher's introduction, taking a step back when the teacher mentioned ice. "How did you..." Shu asked, having never said anything about being an ice mage, it was then that he realized the fact that he was absorbing energy faster than the normally maintained rate. Quickly adjusting his intake to allow the room's temperature to equalize Shu watched as the bird took off to circle the room. It was then that Shu overheard the dwarf's re-introduction.

"So you are the wizardry prof?" Shu asked excitedly, with only three professors present Shu never expected to be lucky enough for both the sorcery and wizardry teachers to be here. Shu bowed once again to Morund, just as he had to the half-elf. It was at this point that Shu realized another mistake of his, he failed to introduce himself. "Ai, goheno nin" he apologized slipping back into elvish without realizing it. "My name is Shu Gawfree and I apologize for my rudeness."

@Tetro @Dhuum @AAndroidD

Krotus listened the boy the simply nodded, "Attend my class or see me afterwards and I can assist you." He told the elf. "There's nothing more dangerous than an unstable Sorcery." He commented, wanting the student to know that he understood the gravity of the situation. Krotus allowed him to talk to Morund in peace as he looked around with his eyes but not his head. If the food didn't get here soon he would leave to his room and just eat his own food there. He had a little garden growing that he was rather proud of and wanted to taste from soon. "Does anyone know when we will be fed? I do not like to have my time wasted... Anyone?" He looked at his two coworkers, hoping they would know something he didn't about the food they were to be served.

He caught sight of his 'favorite' student as he waited for Morund or Dal to respond to him. She looked like her normal self, all dark and mysterious as usual. He made sure to keep an eye on her just in case, knowing that she was irritated at the students all around her. He knew this because most of the kids were pissing him off too with their noisy obnoxious behavior.

@Dhuum @AAndroidD @DerekMess @Javax

" I do believe we will have the pleasure of dining soon, professor Krotus." Dal said, expressionless, looking at the flying raven, " In the mean time maybe we could discuss the Shadow mage girl. I am akin to her kind, and she seems to be quite disturbed about something. I came here following the trail of something...wicked." Dal was now looking at Krotus directly, gazing into his eyes.

" I think we should keep a keen eye out for anything suspicious. She is hiding something. Trust me, Nyxal knows deception. "

Dal smiles suddenly. " Now, I am absolutely interested in hearing your story, professor. Everyone has a reason for everything. Fate and Nyxal brought me here, what guided you?"

As soon as the question was asked the raven swooped down and perched on Dal's left shoulder again with a screech.

"I know what she is hiding, I talked to her earlier today. Also she is disturbed with everyone in the room right now. She isn't fond of the amount of people and the noise." He explained to Dal. Krotus raised an eyebrow and turned his head towards Dal, "What guided me?" He asked. He thought for a moment, trying to figure out how much he should tell him. "A dwarf was talking to his friends about the college and I overheard. Then I made my way here to settle down. Not much else to it." He responded plainly. "My story is a long one. I was born around the time magic came to the world, right about the time Sorcery came to be. So my story goes back quite a ways. The only interesting part of my story is that I haven't met anyone else who has worked with all four schools of magic. I know I can't be the only one... I think." He shrugged, not really knowing whether or not he was in fact that only one. He liked to think he wasn't despite not having met anyone else having done it.

Dal listened to the professor and nodded at the right moments. He thought that the idea of simply settling down was quite fascinating even though it did not sound so. " So you worked at all four schools? What are the other ones like? Here it seems as though everyone is aloof thinking they are somewhat better than the others, but both you and I both know it is not so. Far from it. I have also been in this world for a long time, and potential is in everyone. The problem is that not everyone seems to know how to let it grow.

People have started to put magic into context with power and control, while they should also worry that the same magic does not consume them. Magic itself has not grown in power over the years, but the recklessness of people, and their desperate search for power has. " Dal lowered his head again at this last sentence. He realised he misjudged the man. He might as well be an ally in this whirpool of souls.

Remembering the topic about the shadow mage, he again raised his head to ask a question.

" Oh, what are your thoughts on the energy of this school? And with it the shadow mage as well."

As he asked Rhea jumped from his shoulder on the table and looked directly into the sorcery teacher's eyes.

"The energy of this school is that of any other college. As for the shadow mage," He made sure not to reveal the shadow mage's gender out of respect, "I met that student earlier today and we have quite a lot in common actually. Nothing to be worried about." He reassured Dal. The entire time he simply stared into Rhea's eyes. Krotus gave off an energy that was completely still and grey as he and the bird stared at each other. "Faith magic is demeaning and possibly the most humiliating form. There are so many deities capable of so many things that none are truly above others. Also none of them can actually do anything to anyone unless given permission or a type of medium is developed for them. They are simply spirit beings with their own unique powers that have no effect on us unless we allow it." He explained, turning and looking at Dal. "I respect them all, and I am even on great terms with a lot of them. So do not mistake my words for disrespect, but merely as a higher understanding from first hand experience." He turned his attention back to Rhea. "Nature magic is like sorcery but a bit more external and open to others. It's very interesting. I haven't worked with it as much as I have the others. I'm still in the process actually." Krotus looked more at the raven. A glint in his eye revealed to her that he knew there was more to her than her just being a simple raven. He reached his hand out ever so slightly towards her.

@Dhuum

Dal was watching the debacle with Rhea and Krotus with a still face. The sorcerer then extended his hand towards the raven, and Rhea was now completely still. She could see into people's hearts better than most men. So Dal said nothing and let the thing take it's course.

As soon as Krotus' hand was quite close, Dal could feel the presence of Nyxal filling the chamber. The raven was now watching intensely even more, the hand was unmoving, and Krotus' expression changed.

When his face again relaxed, Dal asked :

"What did Nyxal show you? I am keen to know. "

Dal was now wearing a slight smile on his lips.

When the time came to gather in the mess hall, Jayden was by no means prepared. She'd been off drawing something, falling into her own world. The only way she managed to notice that she had to get down there was the amount of noise in the halls. Students chattering away noisily as they made their way down. Glancing at the clock, she mentally cursed and sprang from her seat, becoming a flurry of movement. Capping paints, carefully putting pencils and other art supplies back in their place, she dashed to the bathroom to clean up quickly. Throwing on her uniform, she grabbed a couple weapons by habit and hid a few with in her clothes, the sword just hanging at her side proudly.

Finally ready, she bolted out of the dorm room and down the halls, dashing faster than a madman. While she was in quite the hurry, Jay wasn't majorly worried if she were to be late. It was more or less, will it be dead silent when I arrive because that's just awkward for her and she was no fan of those situations.

Slowing as she neared the hall, she heard a great roar of chatter. Sighing softly and catching her breath, she slipped in quietly, slinking over to the first year table. Once close enough, she just stood near it, not particularly interested in sitting down with a bunch of random strangers. Plus, it was pretty crowded and that alone was enough to make her feel a bit uncomfortable.

Looking around, she spotted the Dwarf teacher she and the other girl ran into earlier. Surveying the room, she guessed at a couple teachers that were scattered around but didn't see anyone with the presence of a Headmaster. Satisfied she hadn't missed
that much, she leaned against a wall, barely half listening to the idle chatter among her soon to be peers. Instead, her mind wandered to the current art piece she was working on.

Addressing the student before him, finally the dwarf took a chance to speak heartily, "And yer the wizardry student?" His jovial tone mimicked her excitedness towards meeting him, "Ye've got a fire in yer eyes and respect overflowin'. Look forward to teachin' ye, lad."

Barely a chance to finish talking, Krotus' question reminded Morund of his empty stomach and restored his earlier annoyance and irritability, "As a matter of fact, I am aware. Normally, food is out righ' away, but as is customary the food is only served after the headmaster gives 'er opening speech on the first day of each study year. Though there is some kind of holdup for the moment. Her bein' late isn't all too unusual, but usually it's only one or two minutes because she got overabsorbed in a book. Whereas today of all days we're gettin' the worst of luck."

"Well well then! No need to be squabblin' ya elven lovebirds," Morund teased, hoping to ease the tension between the pair, "Mayhaps ye'll have a chance to discuss the variety o'magic around. For how old yer claimin' to be I'm shocked at how single minded y'are when talkin' bout magic."

Uncharacteristically of the bright and chumly personality the two had earlier seen of the dwarf, his tone sterned as he took to lecturing the elven mages that towered over him in size and age, "Krotus, y'should have a li'l more respect fer the deities. Whether y'think it's demeaning or see it as a sign o'respect, it's them that let our kind access the other three in the firs' place."

He refrained from commenting on his interpretation of Nature magic for now. His exposure to other experts over the years was enough to tell him that it was a gross oversimplification of Nature magic.

Not to allow Dal breathing room to get away as a moral victor in this situation, "An' you. As much as the gods mean a lot, 'specially to a faith mage like yerself, not everythin's gotta revolve around 'em. 'Specially with Nyxal. Fer a follower of the god of deception you give me the impression that yer quite trustin' of the deity whose job is to trick people. Whatever energy yer feelin in here, be willing to have a li'l skepticism an' focus on dealin' with Nyxal. There's a difference between being a priest and a mage for a god, and whilst y'may be a bit of both this is a college, not a church."

Not to let the mood persist, he continued on, largely but not entirely lightening his attitude, "I'm sure ye've got a lot to learn at the college too. Y'both remind me of meself when I came here fer the first time. Good enough to get a job as Wizardry professor when I meant to learn, and barely knew a lick about my non-specialties."

He stood from his seat and moved to stand between the pair, at his dwarven size standing tall still barely matching them as they sat, "There's a big difference at this 'ere college learning amongst other experts compared to buryin' yer head in books and learnin' on your own. Brings out the best in people."

As he closed his words, he gave them both a light, yet firm, pat on the back.

Seemingly just coming to his mind at the time, he added a small joke, " 'Cept the headmaster, who can't make it to 'er own speech on time."

With that, he let out a chuckle and moved back to his seat.

@Dhuum @Tetro @DerekMess

Dal listened to the dwarf and thought about it.

"You are right, professor. Right in all except for one detail. Nyxal may be the god of deception and darkness, but it is a safe haven for those without power. But yes, " Dal frowned, " I am here to learn myself. And you must understand that i have been a follower of my god for over a millenium and a half.

It is a tradition I myself implemented, since I had no standing point on where to begin in the first place. My god, and my raven are my only family. They are the ones I trust the most. My god only taught me to trust few, and has never failed me before. "

Dal looked in the dwarf's eyes.

" He also told me I could trust you."

Dal let himself sink into his chair with a thoroughly grave look on his face, hinting to bit of immaturity in the elf's character.

@AAndroidD

Krotus simply pet the raven's head with one small stroke before sitting up right, turning to look at the dwarf and listen to him. "I don't expect you to understand what I mean. I would hardly call myself single minded. We were just having a discussion as well, no need to get excited about it." He felt like the dwarf had pretty much ignored the second half of what he said, which was beyond irritating. "Yes they gave us the other forms of magic, but that doesn't change the fact that what I said is true. Now allow me to reiterate, seeing as how it went over your head." He leaned in a little close so he could be heard clearly just in case there was any misunderstanding. "I respect the deities... I hope I've made myself clear. Forgive me for mistaking you as someone who listens before they speak. I won't assume such things anymore." He sat back up straight. He finally responded to Dal, "Nyxal showed me nothing, I simply saw the woman inside of the raven. I've seen things like this a few times before. I am actually quite impressed that I get to see it again." He smiled.

@Dhuum @AAndroidD

Morund had little to say to Dal, the end there was satisfying enough. His words had been received, at least, and he was learning more about this god. Or maybe I'm right and he don't realise he's on the receivin' end too? He's young but he's sure of himself - should discuss 'is work later, in a more scholarly environment than a noisy dinin' hall.

Krotus, on the other hand, seemd too quick to jump to conclusions about what the dwarf did and did not understand.

"What ye said didn't go unnoticed," he reluctantly returned to his more serious tone to address the concerns of the wizardring mage, "I know well what you said about respect. I also happ'n to know well enough that people don't always say 'n understand things the same way others do, and to me to call faith magic demeaning one moment then claim respect the next, ev'n if you've got 'first hand experience' to say otherwise, says to me that we understand respectin' gods very differently. Now I'm far from an expert in the field, but neither're you. But I know you've discounted their influence on all of us tha's for sure. The raven 'ere Rhea fer example. I hear ye saying you were shown nothin', but if gods made their influences obvious all the time then they might as well walk next to us. No ma'er whether there really was divine intervention just then, you should jus' consider whether subtle little lucky things helping you along the road might've been the work o' those gods you claim to be in good terms with. Teachers here're in the positions for a reason, yerself included, so don't go judgin' none of them too early like I feel you've done to meself. Whether I'm right or wrong about perceivin' your respect is up to you, and 'haps as we both learn more our opinions'll both be changing. Jus' keep an open mind and don' let yer past learnin's cut you off of new perceptions."

As he retorted, his voice held a weariness to it. Like he'd had similar conversations in years past. This time, however, he wasn't so quick to return to his more sociable self, facing himself directly forward from his seat towards the crowd of students, eyes looking not at anyone in the crowd but at the blank rear wall as he regained his composure.

@Tetro @Dhuum

"I have enough experience witnessing deities at work to know that this is not a natural raven. No deity needs to do anything for me to see that. Deities cannot influence me as they do others. It's part of my sorcery. I respect them as I respect someone who has given me a gift. You can have respect for someone find the things you do for them to be demeaning. They need us and we need them. That's how it is. My past experiences hardly hinder my ability to keep an open mind." He observed the dwarf as he spoke. Krotus was glad Morund wasn't thick headed like most dwarves as old as he. "I've done and seen things that I can guarantee not many have in this world. And I don't intend to have a closed mind about any of it. You will start understanding me better once you accept that I am not anything like anyone else. And not in a good way." His voice never broke it's stoicism or it's flow. He didn't like what he knew but for him to try to act like it's no big deal would be an insult to the beings who gave this world magic. He could tell Morund had run into others in the past who spoke similar words, the weariness in his voice and other minor details giving it away. "...I'm no expert in the usage of Faith magic, true. But I have had my share of interaction with many deities."

"Dare I interrupt, professor, but the problem is not your experience in the field, but the fact that you have not opened your heart solely to one deity in order to understand. Either way, I see that you tend to be cold and stoic and that is fine." Dal was now standing up. Shadows started getting longer in the room but the sun was still where it stood. "But I will NOT take the disrespect towards the gods." This sentence gave off a deeper tone now. " They are not beings as you or me. And you may also be older, but your point of view is simply to simplistic towards it. The gods have given you magic, and only the gods hold it truly in their power. You cannot deny that the blood of the gods, their energy, does not flow in your veins!" Dal started hiperventilating but came quickly to a halt and calmed himself. He slowly sat down, Rhea looking at him from the table, as if she were judging him for losing his temper. The room and atmosphere was back to normal now.

"I am sorry. Truly truly sorry for that outburst. I must meditate on this event. " Dal was now standing up and he headed towards the nearest corner of the room where he sat down to clear his thoughts. As the corner was dark, the darkess now only enveloped it even more and enclosed the mage within.

Morund seemed about to comment on how Dal had burst out at Krotus, but his self inflicted isolation was the first thing to stall his response. Turning his head to watch the faith mage's time-out, the dwarf furrowed his brow in consideration of the way Dhal acted. He's inexperienced. May know a lot 'bout his god and his magic, but he's got a lot of life to learn still-

Seemingly unable to maintain a clear train of thought without disruption, Morund was once again interrupted in his considerations - but this time it was a welcome one. A slow hush crept from the rear of the hall, catching on quickly as students lowered and silenced their voices as a stately, regular step deliberately, unhurriedly made its way forward. A woman, and an orc at that. Her face was aged and scarred, body worn by time. Whilst her clothes were of common matted leather, in a way exposing part of her midsection and a small strip of her upper chest no less, the reactions of veteran students in her presence was enough to make things evident - she was important.

"Tha's her," whispered Morund to Krotus, "the 'eadmaster. I know she don' look it, but there's no'un I'd trust more 'n 'er place."

Whilst not hastening her movements, neither did she delay in taking her place at the center of the table designated for staff - standing for now.

"Good evening, students," she started, voice trademarkedly orcish in its guttural gravelliness, "I first apologize for my latenesss in arriving. I understand you must all be starving, and also wondering now, perhaps, why so few instructors sit beside me. They, too, are caught up in the very business that delayed me. Do not worry for your classes, as they will join you as in the schedules you have or will receive. However, they will not be dining with us tonight."

Her more serious words out of the way, she sat herself down and rang her tongue over her underbitten fangs, "A welcome to all newcomers to the college. My name is Nazgah Arduk, the headmaster of The College. I'm certain it may be a shock seeing an orc at such a prestigious location as the headmaster, but I hope you will come to understand why I have taken up this role and greater so how I have managed The College in such a way that you have even sought to come here from so far. Some of you may have heard the news earlier, but as you may realise by a lack of public coverage of private affairs, I prefer not to let identities become involved in our reputation, and instead allow results to speak for us.

Some of you shall master an art that you learned and sought to expand upon, some of you will discover entirely new passions that you had never previously dreamed existed, and further still will walk all paths in between in their academic pursuits. The thing that binds us all together in this college is our coveting of knowledge and understanding - for any reasons. So long as you achieve that which you covet, we have all done our job correctly. Do not be afraid of seeking magic for risk of revealing negative intentions. For every mage of greed and recklessness, we will breed one of compassion and patience, and we shall not judge no matter which path you seek.

That said, as I'm certain many of you have begun to hear enough of an old woman's spiels, allow us to enter into this new year of study by turning this college into something more akin to a home. And what more homely than a meal? You've waited long enough, bring in the food!"

Her words signalled many of the minor maintenance staff - those same that had escorted many first year students to the dining hall in the first place, to begin distributing large plates of steaming dishes. Most were in large bowls or plates, far too large for one individual, with tongs and spoons for students to self serve. This wasn't without its own theatre, however, as these staff took to using magic, a breeze shifting through the hall as nature mages harnessed winds to gently lead platters to tables, whereas wizardry much more simply levitated them outward - with a mix of other magics thrown in in rare bursts. It was a well-rounded spread. Morund's precious freshwater bream was laid out alongside piled and braised squares of beef and sliced turkey. An array of vegetables prepared in various ways with rice and bread to accompany. It was a simple spread that was effective in its simplicity - oddly reminiscent in its various components of homestyle dishes many of the more conventionally backgrounded students leaving home from all races would feel familiar with. A safe choice to start as a crowdpleaser, some sort of attempt in cooking to ignite kinship in people. If the once-more rising commotion of the veteran cohort was any indication, it had worked for them.

((A timeskip will be happening soon after this. Wrap up with some responses and reactions to the headmaster for now. You will be given a chance to interact with her more later on.))

@callmenox @9forgotten @Yesman @Neuton @Javax @Moolock @DerekMess @Tetro @shadowz1995 @Dhuum @Kattz

AAndroidD said:
Morund seemed about to comment on how Dal had burst out at Krotus, but his self inflicted isolation was the first thing to stall his response. Turning his head to watch the faith mage's time-out, the dwarf furrowed his brow in consideration of the way Dhal acted. He's inexperienced. May know a lot 'bout his god and his magic, but he's got a lot of life to learn still-
Seemingly unable to maintain a clear train of thought without disruption, Morund was once again interrupted in his considerations - but this time it was a welcome one. A slow hush crept from the rear of the hall, catching on quickly as students lowered and silenced their voices as a stately, regular step deliberately, unhurriedly made its way forward. A woman, and an orc at that. Her face was aged and scarred, body worn by time. Whilst her clothes were of common matted leather, in a way exposing part of her midsection and a small strip of her upper chest no less, the reactions of veteran students in her presence was enough to make things evident - she was important.

"Tha's her," whispered Morund to Krotus, "the 'eadmaster. I know she don' look it, but there's no'un I'd trust more 'n 'er place."

Whilst not hastening her movements, neither did she delay in taking her place at the center of the table designated for staff - standing for now.

"Good evening, students," she started, voice trademarkedly orcish in its guttural gravelliness, "I first apologize for my latenesss in arriving. I understand you must all be starving, and also wondering now, perhaps, why so few instructors sit beside me. They, too, are caught up in the very business that delayed me. Do not worry for your classes, as they will join you as in the schedules you have or will receive. However, they will not be dining with us tonight."

Her more serious words out of the way, she sat herself down and rang her tongue over her underbitten fangs, "A welcome to all newcomers to the college. My name is Nazgah Arduk, the headmaster of The College. I'm certain it may be a shock seeing an orc at such a prestigious location as the headmaster, but I hope you will come to understand why I have taken up this role and greater so how I have managed The College in such a way that you have even sought to come here from so far. Some of you may have heard the news earlier, but as you may realise by a lack of public coverage of private affairs, I prefer not to let identities become involved in our reputation, and instead allow results to speak for us.

Some of you shall master an art that you learned and sought to expand upon, some of you will discover entirely new passions that you had never previously dreamed existed, and further still will walk all paths in between in their academic pursuits. The thing that binds us all together in this college is our coveting of knowledge and understanding - for any reasons. So long as you achieve that which you covet, we have all done our job correctly. Do not be afraid of seeking magic for risk of revealing negative intentions. For every mage of greed and recklessness, we will breed one of compassion and patience, and we shall not judge no matter which path you seek.

That said, as I'm certain many of you have begun to hear enough of an old woman's spiels, allow us to enter into this new year of study by turning this college into something more akin to a home. And what more homely than a meal? You've waited long enough, bring in the food!"

Her words signalled many of the minor maintenance staff - those same that had escorted many first year students to the dining hall in the first place, to begin distributing large plates of steaming dishes. Most were in large bowls or plates, far too large for one individual, with tongs and spoons for students to self serve. This wasn't without its own theatre, however, as these staff took to using magic, a breeze shifting through the hall as nature mages harnessed winds to gently lead platters to tables, whereas wizardry much more simply levitated them outward - with a mix of other magics thrown in in rare bursts. It was a well-rounded spread. Morund's precious freshwater bream was laid out alongside piled and braised squares of beef and sliced turkey. An array of vegetables prepared in various ways with rice and bread to accompany. It was a simple spread that was effective in its simplicity - oddly reminiscent in its various components of homestyle dishes many of the more conventionally backgrounded students leaving home from all races would feel familiar with. A safe choice to start as a crowdpleaser, some sort of attempt in cooking to ignite kinship in people. If the once-more rising commotion of the veteran cohort was any indication, it had worked for them.

((A timeskip will be happening soon after this. Wrap up with some responses and reactions to the headmaster for now. You will be given a chance to interact with her more later on.))

@callmenox @9forgotten @Yesman @Neuton @Javax @Moolock @DerekMess @Tetro @shadowz1995 @Dhuum @Kattz
Impressed was the first word that came to Ether's mind. It was his first time in here and he was impressed on a number of levels. He had been taken aback that an orc of all races was the headmaster of a college for mages! Orcs had no magical ability so the blood mage mused silently as to how she got to the position. Was she the founder? Did she have connections? Did she rise up through the ranks through knowledge and effort alone? He had been in this establishment for less than an hour and was already astonished. At the beck and call of the headmaster, a glorious feast had been prepared was being served in a very flashy fashion. This was not as interesting but it was very entertaining. He could see...well more feel.... the wind nature spirits at work as they delivered the banquet to the students. The young man had not eaten a decent meal in months and he didn't hesitate to dig in.

Ether had come to college in hopes of furthering his understanding of magic. Finding new ways it can be implemented by stealing techniques from other styles or maybe even fine-tuning his martial arts. He was afraid that he wouldn't be able to learn anything because he had hit a stagnant point in his life where he couldn't find out anymore through simple self study and combat. He needed a deeper pool to access and the college seemed like his best bet. For both him and his sister. He expected to learn a few things but he wasn't expecting this.

Even though Dal was entranced in a deep meditation, he felt the presence of everyone in the dining hall. He heard the headmaster come in and give the speech, and was taken aback by the fact she was an orc. But, when he thought about it it made sense...making someone completely unbiased run the school was smart, as she would judge everything rationally. Also, the fact that she had such a high position showed she possessed knowledge appropriate for someone of that title, probably even more.

He thought of the errors he had made, and decided to forgive himself for this outburst, and he will later ask for forgiveness from the professors as well. The problem was that he could not settle with being around so many people before, and it made him a bit nervous. He was not inexperienced but it turned out he was. Childish too.

Either way, this start promised for an interesting school year, as this was his first time ever teaching someone, let alone dozens of young scholars.

This made Dal as excited as he was anxious.

Ariawyn Styr

Health: 100%

• Tag @Everyone?

With ...Everyone, kind of?

Mentioned Nyeh

Location Dining Hall
The sorceress leaned her elbows on the round table, interlocked her fingers, and rested her chin on the flat top her interlinked fingers created. She inhaled through her nose then exhaled slowly through her mouth, keeping her breathing constant and steady. As previously mentioned, large crowds were not a favourite of hers. If she had full control over the choice of partaking in such a gathering, then at least she wouldn't be as uncomfortable as she was currently. Unfortunately, attending the orientation was mandatory, thus a forced participation.

Ariawyn allowed her gaze to float around the dining hall while the attendees were waiting for the headmaster to arrive. Nothing interesting was occurring; students of varying ages and experience were conversing with their respective posses and gangs, some of the more advanced students were still showing off small magic tricks or combat tactics and strategies, the teachers and staff were conversing amongst themselves and with approaching students. All of it was rather boring, in the shadow sorceress' opinion. Not even the other occupant was of much interest. Aria could tell that her small reptilian companion was present as well. The other student wasn't as discreet as she may have hoped. However, the elf didn't say anything.

Instinctively, she cast her gaze up to the teachers present, though without turning her head so that it was not obvious. She recognized Krotus, who had briefly looked at her and was now speaking with another. Aria eavesdropped, in a sense, listening closely to pick out any words of interest. The phrase "shadow mage" came up a couple times, and she wondered if they were speaking about her. It was possible; her dark appearance and aura was one that couldn't be ignored easily. If so, then that would not necessarily be a good thing. A glare bore into Krotus, silently telling him to not disclose any of her personal information.

The remaining time was spent simply observing the dining hall. She'd not much else to do. It took a few minutes, but finally a hush began to fall over the crowd. An orcish female was striding straight for the large staff table at the front, and she knew immediately who this was: the headmaster. It was rather peculiar that a non-magical character was in a charge of an entire school dedicated to magic. The idea was amusing, and Aria wondered what aided her in achieving such a high spot in the school.

The headmaster, whom introduced herself as Nazgah Arduk, presented her beginning speech, through most of which Aria didn't listen too much. She took note of the important parts, though, so not all was lost. After a speech that seemed that it would never end, Nazgah called for the food to be brought out, and it wasn't until then that the sorceress realized that she hadn't eaten in quite a while; a couple days, at least. The assassin eyed the food as it arrived with controlled longing. Once everything was set on the table, Ariawyn hesitated a moment then reached forward and began to serve herself small amounts of what was offered. She had been surviving off of the bare minimum for many years; she couldn't stuff herself so suddenly. With her reputation, there was no telling how long this would last.

Krotus listened to the headmaster speak after she entered. He wasn't taken back from her being an orc. In fact he wasn't surprising at all. It would make sense in a way, since an elf or dwarf or human would be a little too biased. He partook of very little, raw, vegetables and fruits from what was served. As he was about to eat there was a very strange aura that filled the room. The aura felt dark, that much was sure, but it wasn't something one could see. The aura made people feel as if they weren't really paying attention to something, usually causing them to make a double-take or re-ask a question that might have already been answered. The aura was one that Krotus used all the time whenever he ate. He felt self-conscious about the way he ate so he always made sure that even if someone watched him they would forget about the details of it. It ended as quickly as it came because of how little Krotus ate, taking only a few seconds to get two bites of food. Once it was over he simply sat there and waited for the orc to take her seat at the table in case she wanted to talk to him about anything. A thought came to him the more he thought about her being an orc. Keeping it in the back of his mind, he just watched her and waited.

@AAndroidD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back