Story A Bit Of Fluff And Comfort (Featuring My Lil' Goobers)

Leslie_The_Author

Leslie :3
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I've been wanting to share some writing I did about a year ago. I posted it on AO3, but it hasn't really been seen by anyone. So I figured I'd share it here! There's two parts to it right now, but I'm working on the third part (an entire year after writing the second), as well as rewriting the first part from Melody's perspective. Anyway, criticism is welcome and encouraged! Without further ado, I present:

Stray Notes: A (Technically) Non-Canon Story About How Melody And Cream Met (That I Wrote A Year Ago)

Max never did like the rain. It was cold and wet, neither of which were things the neko boy particularly cared for. It also served as a reminder that the terrifying sound of thunder was fast approaching. With no roof over his head, the sounds were not muffled, and the rain was pelting his body whenever he couldn’t find shelter. He shouldn’t be out in this weather. He should be at home, on his mattress, curled up and hiding from…

“Ahhh… ACHOO!” The catboy’s own sneeze snapped him out of his thoughts. Shivering, he made his way down the sidewalk before ducking into an alleyway with such a large amount of cardboard boxes that it would be suspicious to anyone else. But to Max, this was home now. Kneeling down in front of a tall box, the catboy pulled the flaps open and climbed inside. He had managed to find a few old blankets that had been thrown out, and used one as a makeshift pillow while using the other to cover his body. Pulling the box flaps closed, he curled up and tried to rest his eyes. They were still burning from having a drink thrown at him earlier, but he had done the best he could to clean them out with rainwater. If he was lucky, he wouldn’t get sick.

“...so stupid. Why would anyone refuse to hire someone just because they haven’t had a job before? Yeah, no, I get it. They prefer people with experience. No, I understand, really. I’m just frustrated that they did that to you. Who cancels a person’s interview because they found someone more experienced for an entry level job?” Max’s ears perked up as he heard someone walking down the alley. Looking out of a hole in the box, he spotted a woman who seemed to be on the phone. Putting a little more pressure on the box, he put his eye up right against the hole. However, the extra pressure caused the box to slightly tear, which resulted in the woman stopping dead in her tracks before looking over at where the noise originated. “Hey, I’m gonna have to call you back. Yeah, you too. Bye.” Max watched as the woman put her phone into her pocket before walking over to the box. The catboy tried to move slowly from the hole, so as to not get the woman’s attention, but that didn’t work. There were a few taps on the top of the box, followed by a, “Hello? Is someone in there?”

Taking a deep breath, Max pulled his hood over his head and slowly poked his head up, opening the box from inside. Clearing his throat quietly, he looked up at the woman standing in front of him. “Hello ma’am… Did you need something?”

“Well, no. But I am wondering if you’re alright. What are you doing out here in the rain, let alone in a box? And please, call me Melody. We seem to be around the same age, so I don’t see why you’d need to call me ma’am.”

Slumping down ever so slightly, Max crossed his arms, preferring that to having them dangle at his sides. “Well, you see ma’am,” he began, still trying to be respectful and not call her by her first name, “I’m out here because I was kicked out of my home. But I’m getting by just fine ma’am, don’t you worry about me. I would hate to keep you from getting to wherever you’re going.”
A few moments passed before Melody spoke again, this time quietly. “I see. Would you like to come and wait out the storm at my place? It’s supposed to get worse, and I’d hate to leave you here in the cold. Maybe we could even get you something to eat. I don’t mean to sound rude, but it sure seems like you need it.”

Max did in fact need it. He already hadn’t eaten in days, unless you count leftover food that got tossed in the dumpster from the cafe down the block. He hesitated for a few long moments. Best case scenario, he gets some food and a warm place to take shelter for a few hours. Worst case scenario… Well, he didn’t want to think about that. Taking another deep breath, the catboy nodded.
Seeing that Max couldn’t say anything at that point, Melody gave him a big, warm, comforting smile. “Wonderful! Here, let me help you up.” Max watched as Melody extended her hand to him, very carefully putting his hand out as well. Gently, Melody pulled Max to his feet. “Now, my house is just this way. Follow me. Oh, and you can hold my hand if you’d like.”

Max’s face flushed, but he grabbed Melody’s hand anyway. His heart beating fast, he had to take a few deep breaths to stop himself from freaking out or freezing up. He had to keep checking his own breathing the entire way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twenty minutes later, Melody’s front door was pulled open and the two entered. Max was hesitant, stopping to look at Melody for permission first. After a warm smile and some encouragement, the catboy stepped inside. It was warm, and the scent of pumpkin wafted through the air. It was evident that Melody enjoyed the smell of candles, and that put a small smile on Max’s face.

“I can get your sweater if you’d like. It looks absolutely soaked. You should probably take it off, you might catch a cold.” Melody’s voice made Max jump, and the catboy spun around and shook his head. He couldn’t take his sweater off, he had nothing else to cover his head! “Oh come on, bud. You’re gonna get sick. If you aren’t already. Your eyes look really red. Come on, give it here. I can run it through my dryer, and then I’ll give it straight back. I promise.”

Max thought for a moment. It seemed he wasn’t going to get out of this. He didn’t want the situation to escalate, even though it seemed like Melody wouldn’t get aggressive with him. Taking a few deep breaths this time, he shakily motioned for Melody to turn around, hoping she’d listen. Maybe he could convince her not to look at him without the sweater on.

“Oh, you don’t want me to look? Okay, I understand.” Melody turned to face the wall, giving Max a bit of privacy as he removed his sweater. Raising his hand to tap Melody on the shoulder, he hesitated. His ears and tail weren’t covered anymore. She might be upset at him for not telling her before. She could be like all those other people. Shaking, the catboy’s legs gave out as he fell to his knees. The sudden thud made Melody spin back around, only to see Max on the floor crying, and holding the balled up sweater in front of him. At first, she didn’t even seem to notice why Max was crying.

“Oh, poor bud. Are you that reluctant to give up the sweater? I was only concerned for your wellbeing. If you don’t want me to take it and dry it, I won’t. I want to make sure you’re as comfortable… as… um…” Max blinked away tears to see Melody looking at him strangely. She didn’t even have to say anything, he already knew that she noticed his ears and tail. He squeezed his eyes shut and prepared for the worst.

But the worst never came. He felt a gentle hand touch his head and when he flinched, the hand pulled away quickly. Opening one of his eyes, he saw Melody with a concerned look on her face. That… wasn’t what he was expecting. He was expecting anger. Still tense, he slowly opened his other eye and looked up at the woman in front of him as she spoke.

“Are you… I mean, um, what’s… Ugh, I don’t know what to ask. You’re very obviously not okay, and I doubt you’d answer what’s wrong. I mean, the answer seems pretty obvious too. I, um… Let’s get that sweater dry, okay? Go ahead and go sit on the couch, and I can make something for you to eat. Do you like fish? I mean, I’m so sorry. Is that offensive? I’ve never, you know, really spent any time with nekos before. I don’t want to offend you, um… Oh my god. I never asked you what your name was."

Max’s ears fell flat back against his head. He kept his mouth shut and looked down. The less information he gave, the safer he was.

Melody sighed. “Okay bud, how about for the time being, I call youuu… Cream? You know, because of the colour of your hair? And, uh, fur? How does that sound?” Cream. Max thought for a moment. A new name, even if it was temporary, would help him feel a bit more comfortable. He nodded. A smile slowly began to form on Cream’s face, which resulted in a gentle hand on his head from Melody. “Good, um… Good kitty…?” Those words, as unfamiliar as they felt to the catboy, encouraged him to let out a soft purr. Cream wasn’t as tense anymore, as Melody gained a bit of confidence and moved her hand behind one of Cream’s cat ears and began to gently scritch. The neko’s eyes slowly closed as his purring grew louder. “Aw… You needed this, didn’t you Cream?” The catboy’s purring grew louder for only a moment in response.

“Don’t worry. You’re safe now, okay? You can stay with me, because you are definitely not going back out onto the streets if I have anything to say about it. Don’t worry about anything, okay? We can just focus on getting you back on your feet. Now, let’s get you off the floor and make you something to eat. I know I’m hungry!”

Here's part 2 for anyone interested! This was written right after the first part, so still about a year ago! Again, criticism is appreciated!

PART 2: Adjustments

The food sat on the table in front of Cream. Steaming hot and presented beautifully, it looked perfect. He wished he could eat it, but he sat patiently and waited for Melody to serve herself. Why hadn’t she served herself yet? No. Be patient. She would serve herself when she wanted to. In the meantime, Cream sat mostly still, shaking only slightly. The scent of the food was making him feel weak, as the warm steam mixed with the delicious smells beckoned for his muscles to relax against his will. It was taking all of Cream’s energy for him not to fall over in his seat.

“Cream? Are you alright? If you aren’t hungry right now, that’s okay. We can put the food away for now and heat it back up later.” The moment Melody’s voice met the catboy’s ears, Cream sat up straight, jumping slightly. He looked over at the purple-haired woman who had taken him in from the rain. She wore a concerned look on her face, something that Cream was absolutely not used to. Although, it did remind him of someone. He just couldn’t quite remember who. The warm feeling of familiarity gave him the strength to speak up.

“I-I’m fine, ma’am, really-”

“Nope, none of that! While it’s nice to finally hear you talking, I don’t want to hear that you’re fine! I know you’re not. I want to help you!”

Cream’s ears flattened as he tensed his body back up, which caused Melody to sigh. The catboy took this as a sign that he had done something wrong, and tears quickly began to form in his eyes.

“Oh, no! No, no, no! I didn’t mean to scare you! Or, um, sadden you? What I mean is, I didn’t mean to make you cry, Cream! Oh, I’m sorry… Can I pet you? Would that make you feel better?” Melody seemed to be trying to console the neko.

Confused, he looked up at the woman. In a small voice, he spoke up. “I’m not in trouble?”

Immediately, Cream saw Melody’s face turn to concern. In a comforting, soothing voice, she reassured him. “No, you’re not in trouble. You won’t be in trouble with me. You’re safe. You won’t have to deal with the concept of being in that kind of trouble ever again. I’m not sure what your whole deal is, but I can promise you that you’ll be treated like you’re meant to. Like an adult person. That’s what you are. That means that you won’t be in trouble like a child, and you won’t be treated as anything less than a person either. Do you understand? You’re your own person.”

Cream nodded, feeling more comfortable. He tried his best to smile and sit up straight. “Yes, ma’am.”

“And no more calling me ma’am. It makes me feel old.”

“Sorry, ma’am- I mean, um, Melody?” Cream was unsure if he remembered her name correctly or not, and it was clearly evident in his voice.

Melody smiled and nodded, giving Cream a pat on the head. “Yep, you remembered! Good job!” The praise caused Cream’s smile to widen, and his ears perked up. Melody let out a chuckle, and shook her head. “Now, are you finally ready to eat?”

“I’ve been ready for a little while. I was waiting for you to eat first.”

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

“Well, I was waiting patiently. Just like I’m supposed to!” Cream was very proud of himself, and that pride leaked into his voice.

“Cream… I ate my portion of the food while I was cooking. I don’t need that much. You, however, do need to eat. You’re really thin!”

“What do you mean?”

“Bud, I could see your ribs. That’s not okay. You need to eat something. I made all this because you look like you haven’t eaten in weeks!”

“Oh… Well, may I eat, then…?”

“Of course, Cream. You don’t have to ask. You know… I’ve been calling you Cream because I didn’t know your name. But now that you’re actually talking, you can tell me your name! If you’re comfortable with that. If not, I can totally continue calling you Cream.”

Cream nodded, already having started eating. His face was stuffed, so it would be rude of him to talk. He would definitely much rather be called Cream. To him, the name felt safer, warmer. It felt like home.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About an hour after dinner, Cream was sat on the floor. He was wearing warm, clean clothes that had been given to him by Melody. She had cut a hole in the back of a comfortable pair of pajama pants, and gave him a long-sleeve shirt as well. She had also draped a blanket over the neko, helping him feel warm and cozy. Cream had been asked to sit on the couch with Melody, but he insisted on sitting on the floor. Melody had sat down on the floor next to him, much to his confusion. They both sat and stared at the fireplace. Melody was the first to speak up.

“So… You don’t like couches, or…?”

The question caught Cream off-guard. He hadn’t been allowed to sit on a couch for years. In fact, he couldn’t remember the last time he had been on any truly comfortable furniture. Melody must have noticed the look on Cream’s face, because she continued talking before Cream could answer.

“Never mind, you don’t have to answer that. Um… I’m sorry, I can’t resist asking- Do you maybe want to, I don’t know, lay in my lap and get headpats? It’s just, you seemed like you were enjoying it earlier when I was petting you, and… Yeah.”

Cream looked away, embarrassed. Not at the question he had been asked, but his answer. He nodded silently, his ears perked up at the thought of affection.

“Ooh, yay! Okay, just lay your head here, and I’ll start. Whenever you’re ready.”

Not even a moment after she said that, Cream lightly flopped over, his head in Melody’s lap. Melody stared down at the catboy for a minute before smiling warmly and beginning to pet Cream’s ears. First, she started rubbing right between them, causing Cream to push his head against her hand. After a moment, she then moved to actually rubbing his ears, causing his muscles to relax. Cream practically melted in her lap as she gently stroked his fluffy ears. She seemed careful to avoid his left ear, which he remembered had a cut. He recalled from last time he looked in a mirror that it hadn’t had the chance to heal quite right. Getting Cream’s attention back, Melody moved her hands behind his ears, scratching ever so gently. And although he tried to fight it, he couldn’t resist purring softly.

As his eyelids began to droop, the catboy let out a quiet yawn that sounded almost like a meow. Melody chuckled when she heard it, and spoke softly to Cream.

“Good night, Cream… Sleep well…”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back