• Very cool, makes sense

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Way out of line, stick to altering the future

• Whatever, so long as it's interesting

• Total voters

Icarus1

That's fifth not counting the first trilogy they made. Just wondering, anyone else hate the basic premise of this story? The whole time travel thing didn't seem to fit in with Exalted at all. Just looking for opinions on that aspect of the book.

I concur, though I have not read the book. Altering perceptions of past events, such as through the Realm's 'official' history seems the most they should do. Savant and Sorcerer doesn't get much clearer when it says time is immutable . . . so if Adamant Circle Sorcerery can't send you back in time, what can?

Could you spoil it, maybe? Use white text or something that won't show up unless you highlight it.

Ok, spoilers in white text below. Hopefully this'll work on my first try.

MASSIVE SPOILERS. If you plan on reading the book and haven't already skip this.

The bad guy of the story is a Sidreal with a plan to create an "Empire of Blood", basically a slightly more evil version of the Realm, to fix things. One of the main characters is a soon to exalt Sid, who is having visions of her future incarnation. Apparently this Empire of Blood actually comes about, and her future self is trying to destroy it by dropping a special pattern spider into the Loom, which would alter it just a bit so the Empire never actually came into being. The final showdown is between the main character, the bad guy, and both of their future selves, made possible because time seems to have no meaning in the loom. At one point the bad guy disappears/dies/is destroyed because the thread representing himself is destroyed, so that he never existed.

Reply in white text follows (not that it isn't perfectly legible to those of us using AdInfinitum :P )

I think that's problematic, canonically, for a number of reasons.

First, it's been flat out stated that going "back in time" is
impossible. I don't necessarily have a problem with allowing time travel into Exalted, but it does break canon.

Second, how does this Sidereal get a "special pattern spider". Last I checked, those were made by Autocthon. It seems unlikely that a newly exalted Sidereal could just "figure out" how to make one from scratch. Was this one a prototype that Auto left in a closet somewhere?

Lastly, if time is meaningless in the Loom, why are there only four combatants there? Each of the characters should have a nearly infinite number of potential doppelgangers, no? The main character, the main character from two seconds ago, the main character from a year before that, from next week, from the Fourth Age............

Sounds lame.

Still, I agree on all points. To answer your 2nd point more specifically, it's never explained. The story starts after the plan has been made, and she already has one by that point.

Regarding the second point made by Still; if I recall, the Siddy whose 'Empire of Blood' is in jeopardy secretly constrcuted the spider and gave it to the future Sidereal, but he made it so it wouldn't do what it was supposed to.  Instead it would poison the future Sidereal, wher she would then kill her Solar companion, finally cuminating with her killing hrslfout of grief.

I didn't like it. The rest of the book is good, its just the ending that sucked.

~FC.

Man while I kind of like the idea that the loom of fate could be changed such that the future coudl be altered by strings previously woven in the pattern being rearranged it definite doesn't go with what I remember of canon, which  I thought was that the spiders set the pattern, and only the future was changeable.

I could see why you would need a special spider since I remember the pattern spiders being pretty stringently defined.  The only explination I could think of for the sidy making a spider is that the Empire of Blood somehow advanced well beyond the First age power, which woudl lead one to question if it was truely an evil empire if it had better technology than the first age.

makes me kind of glad I don't buy the novels to read sounds like they are adding too many cooks to the kitchen and coming up with crap that doesn't stay mixed up well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back