[5e] Dragon of Icespire Peak [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styrium

Title: Dragon of Icespire Peak
Game: 5e, on CitM discord
Player Count: 4-5

Every single child, adult and elder in the Sword Coast has heard tales of dragons. Yet, when a roaring dragon is heard flying above any city, town, or village, fear creeps into every heart, regardless of how familiar they were with the idea. And that’s exactly what happened when the white dragon, Cryovain, settled atop the Icespire Peak in the Sword Mountains.

Rumors of the new draconic threat looming over Phandalin spread throughout the Sword Coast like wildfire. These rumors instill fear into any soul unfortunate enough to pass by the area that is now claimed as Cryovain’s territory. Still, those brave (or foolish) enough to call themselves adventurers see this situation as an opportunity.

---

This will be my go at running Dragon of Icespire Peak, a published module that came along with the essentials kit. The game is built around a quest board with the party being able to choose what quests to do at whichever order or pace. I changed some things here and there, mostly to make all the quests work and have consequences to the overarching plot, so that it feels more different from Blades.
Thanks to the quest board, the game needs the players to drive their narrative more than other published modules (if you have played any of them before). The party will likely find themselves returning to Phandalin over and over again, an opportunity to grow familiar with the town’s NPCs and to hear about the repercussions of their questing.

Character creation:

The game will start on Level 1, like the module suggests, but the first few levels should go by relatively quick. We’ll discuss the character creation process once the game begins, but usually anything published is alright and I’m open to considering homebrew or UA. All the standard races are ok, talk to me if you’re considering anything more uncommon/monstrous.

The biggest thing is the adventure kind of works around a quest by quest basis, so the characters need to feel compelled to keep questing around Phandalin. The motivations may vary: you could be simply helping out the town during these terrifying times, in search of glory and renown, after the well-paid jobs for those willing to put their lives on the line, or any other reason you come up with.

Other details:
I might blatantly steal take inspiration from some parts of Lost Mines of Phandelver, not the main storyline, just the random sidequest from further in the adventure. If I do that, it’s unlikely they will remain the same as presented in the other book and it probably won’t matter if you have played/DM’d through that one already. Just so that you are not caught entirely off guard if you come across something familiar.

Thanks to being stuck home, my sleep schedule and active times are all over the place, but I’m usually around afternoon/nights (EST).

And one last thing, if you’re a fan of FR: I’m sorry. I will probably flail about and just straight up make up/change something about the setting, especially since 5e has been so unhelpful in the lore department.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and know the ad will be open for at least 24h, so don’t worry if you reply 3 minutes before it closes off

At what point am I considered to be in too many games? Bah, one more can't hurt, can it?

I'll throw my hat in there, just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread