• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern ʟᴀ ʟᴜɴᴀ ꜱᴋɪ ʀᴇꜱᴏʀᴛ (ᴄʟᴏꜱᴇᴅ)

lvcid

Elder Member

malcolm.

• mood

fine?? i mean he’s bleeding-

“Is that Reggie?”

Malcolm was slumped on the floor behind the counter at Cloud 9, back against the wall as he hummed an annoyingly persistent Christmas song that’d been stuck in the back of his mind for nearly a week now, and it was barely December. Diana’s question broke his train of thought, though, and his voice faltered, gaze flickering over to her with furrowed brows as he clumsily got to his feet to have a look around the store.

Cloud 9 was a relatively small establishment, and from where the two stood at the register, they could see all four corners of the room—an undoubtedly intentional design, given the high demand of their products. Even the rich stole sometimes, and the dispensary’s owner evidently wasn’t one to take chances.

Mal leaned forward slightly, palms flat on the countertop as red-rimmed eyes peered past long lashes. He frowned, blinking, then tilted his head to the side as if a new angle would help him better discern the identity of the figure standing across the space, facing away from them. “Shit, I dunno,” Malcolm decided. He was too high for this. So was Diana. “What’d he be doing back here?”

Before he left Star Point, Reggie had made it abundantly clear he no longer wanted anything to do with it or the people that lived there, namely them, along with Josie. Perhaps Crystal Peak was a different story, but what was the likelihood that he’d stop by on a day his old friends would be working?

Any doubt that remained regarding whether or not that was Reggie standing before them dissipated as the man strode in their direction, face eerily devoid of any readable emotion, but that wasn’t out of the ordinary for him. The small talk was.

“Have you seen Morgan lately?” Diana asked after a while, a seemingly innocent question about the long-absent fifth member of their disbanded group, but Reggie tensed. “How is she?”

“Why should I know?”
Reggie demanded. “It’s not my job to keep tabs on her. We broke up a long time ago.”

“It was just a question, man,” Malcolm interjected, speaking before Diana could. “We’re not trying to accuse you of getting back with your ex or anything.” He accentuated his words with an uneasy laugh.

“Good, because I didn’t. I couldn’t even if I wanted to.”

Morgan had essentially vanished off the face of the Earth, and Reggie didn’t seem to care all that much that the girl he once claimed to love had dropped every means of contact. Then again, he didn’t care about a lot of things—not outwardly, anyway.

Mal made a noise, some form of quiet acknowledgment but really just an excuse to fill the tense silence that had settled between the three of them like cartoonishly brewing storm clouds over their heads. The fingers of Malcolm’s right hand found purchase on the edge of the counter, and he tapped out a rhythm.

Reggie glanced down, noting Mal’s nervous fidgeting and took it as his sign to leave.

As soon as the man was out of ear shot, Malcolm’s face swiveled toward Diana, bearing an expression somewhere between shock and amusement. “That was weird, right?” he asked. “Like, that bitch has always been crazy, but that felt extra shady.”

“Arf!”

A small, fluffy head peeked up over the arm of the couch, where Nana sat watching old Judge Judy reruns, Chester no longer curled neatly in her lap but staring at Malcolm with resentment in his beady eyes.

They’d interrupted the beast’s beauty sleep.

“Go, go!” Mal whisper-yelled, urging Diana and Josie toward the door, but Chester was hot on their trail, nipping at their heels all the way outside.

As Chester scrambled across the old wooden porch, intent on flinging himself into the snow, Malcolm side-stepped, blocking the dog’s path at the risk of his own ankles suffering the consequences. “Get your rat-lookin’ ass back in the house,” Mal said, scooping the Yorkshire Terrier up and plopping him down on the warmer side of the threshold. “As much as I would love to let you freeze to death, Nana would kill me.”

“You got that right!” came the old woman’s voice from within.

Malcolm laughed humorlessly with an exasperated shake of his head. It was a losing battle he’d come to accept his role of defeat in. He stuck a foot out, gently sliding Chester further away from the door with the toe of his boot before closing him up inside, much to his dismay, which he vocalized, even through the door, in a drawn-out growl.

“Little bitch,” Mal murmured, sucking on the side of his index finger, which was now adorned in a new nick the size of Chester’s tooth. With his other hand, Malcolm locked the door’s hand set, then clipped his keys to the front belt loop of his cargo pants and hopped off the porch, landing in the snow with a soft crunch.

It was chilly, but not unbearably cold yet—the blizzard wasn’t predicted to arrive until much later that night, maybe the early hours of the next day, if they were lucky—and it was fairly decent weather for a long walk, even if Mal would inevitably change his tune once they got halfway up the mountain. For now, he appreciated the brisk wind. It distracted from the sting of the bite mark on his skin.

“Ready?” Malcolm asked, already beginning to back down the short driveway.

let it snow

dean martin

♡coded by uxie♡

Diana Bishop

• mood

let’s smoke

Holidays were a busy time in Star Point, and at the resort especially, so it was no wonder that Diana had seen more faces than she could count in the last few weeks. Faces that ultimately, after a joint and a few bong rips with Jo and Mal after her shift faded from memory as if they were no more than grains of sand in the desert.

One face, however, was making itself persistently known within her mind, and quite honestly? It was beginning to piss her off.

After the falling out between the group and Reggie had occurred back in high school, and the lanky boy had all but cursed their names before leaving town, Diana hadn’t expected to see him in Star Point, much less at the dispensary where she worked. Seeing the sour dispositioned boy — man now — without Morgan came as somewhat of a shock to Diana, and so she’d had to ask.

While Reggie’s response had been so frustratingly, stubbornly him and nothing out of the ordinary, something about the way the brunette boy had snapped at them had rubbed Diana the wrong way, leaving an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Good, because I didn’t. I couldn’t, even if I wanted to.

Diana sighed—there was no point thinking about all that now. She needed to roll up again.

Frenzied snarling, coming from the tiny frame of Chester, Mal’s Nana’s tiny little rat of a dog had the three of them — Mal, Josie and Diana herself—sprinting towards the door and out onto the wood covered porch, their breath billowing into the air in plumes.

And Josie adored that thing.

Diana snorted, pushing a strand of honey blonde hair out of her face before turning to her two oldest friends as they set off in the direction of the resort.

“I hope one of you brought a lighter,” she announced shoving her fingers into the wool lined pockets of her zip up hoodie. “Wouldn’t be a holiday if we got there sober.”

Not that they were particularly sober any other day.

Her blue eyed gaze drifted up to the sky, which was gray and cloud shrouded, the promise of snow looming over them. Winter in Star Point was cold and dreary, but with the fresh snowfall came an influx of new guests at the resort, making it the busiest season of the year.

The three of them were lucky to have the day off, and there was no way in hell they were going to let it go to waste.

“What’s the plan, anyways?” Di asked after a moment, stepping to the left to narrowly avoid splashing in a puddle of melted slush. “Like…plan of attack. Order of business. Y’know.”

cigarette daydreams

cage the elephant

♡coded by uxie♡

j o s e p h i n e

• mood

la di da di da da da la

"Two scoops of birthday cake ice cream with caramel drizzle and extra extra sprinkles. Do you wanna add marshmallows? They are supposed to be a dollar more, but I'll totally give them to you for free because, like, marshmallows shouldn't be more, and you're super cute and-" Josie was cut off by the guy in front of her, stating he didn't like marshmallows and she frowned.

Who didn't like marshmallows? Had this guy never had smores? Did he not put them in his hot chocolate either? What a sad life...

The dark-haired girl held out the waffle cone to the customer, taking the money he held out to her in exchange. "Have a good night!" she called out to him as he rushed out the door without another word. "More for me thennnn," Jo sang as she popped a small handful of the mini marshmallows in her mouth.

"Hey!" a loud voice boomed from behind her, causing her to jump a little and drop the second handful of marshmallows. "You got a dollar? Stop getting into the toppings before I have to fire you! Shifts over, get out of here!" the manager shooed her out from behind the counter, barely giving Jo time to reach for her jacket as she rushed out.

Jokes on them. As Josie walked through the snow, she pulled out a napkin full of gummy bears she'd snuck that morning. "Ha, suckerssss," she grinned, eating some on the way to her car, hoping in and cranking it up to get the heat going.

The powder blue Volkswagen Beetle may have been aging, paint peeling in various places, but it was all hers. The colorful flower stickers and fuzzy blue dice hanging in the mirror were obviously her own personal touches and honestly, they really brought the whole car together. It was her hippie mobile.

Birdie. That's what she called it.

She'd gotten Birdie her senior year in high school, but the thing was at least a 2009 model. She had saved for months and months, scraped together every last penny she could to buy it off some little old lady after she'd seen a for sale sign on it one day at the gas station.

Apparently, her own granddaughter had hated it but Jo didn't get why. It was a beauty!

Sure, it made a weird whistling sound when you drove over sixty (hence the name), and yeah, it broke down every two months, but Josie didn't care. She and Birdie had been through thick and thin together, and she couldn't imagine getting a new car. Plus, she couldn't afford one anyway...

Once Josie got her favorite Spotify playlist going, the one with about 20 Jonas Brothers songs on it, she pulled out of the parking lot of The Scoop. She drove off towards Mal's nana's house to meet her friends, screaming along to the lyrics of Year 3000 coming through the speakers.

---

"Wait! He just wants kisses before we go!" Josie cried out as she was shoved through the front door into the snow. It was too late; Chester was banished back to his fortress by Mal before she could even get the last word out. "Totally not nice..." she whined before noticing Di was ahead and shuffling off to catch up to her.

If it were up to her, she would have stashed Chester snugly in her jacket and taken him with them. Like, Mal and Di really needed to cut him some slack. They would be moody, too, if they were stuck in the house all day with only Judge Judy and Price is Right re-runs to keep them entertained.

At Diana's request, Josie produced a tiny yellow lighter covered in jewels and stickers and handed it over. The girl had a habit of decorating everything to jazz it up. She hated when things were so plain jane. Now, the once dull lighter was a Josie original, and it was better that way if she did say so herself.

"You know they put those carts out for the room service. We could hide under one of those. Would we be too heavy?" Jo thought over her own question for a moment before rambling off again.

"I mean, they could think it's just like a lot of dirty dishes under there. Or we can try to pretend we are delivery people, but like, we don't have any stuff to fake deliver, and I think Cody would recognize us," she made a face at that before trying to think up other ideas.

Cody was the head chef, a tall, lanky man in his 40s who reeked of cheese. One time he'd threatened to ban Josie for good when all she did was ask him how many different cheeses he could name and then repeated each one he rattled off back to him in a British accent. It wasn't even that bad of an accent.

As the trio continued their way up the mountain, a view of the resort came into better focus. "Oooooh we should steal some hot chocolate too and take it up to the roof later. You can see the stars better up there. Wait, the hot chocolate might be cold then... but that's okay, I like chocolate milk."

Taking the joint as Di passed it her way, Josie remembered the guy from earlier mid-puff and her eyes grew wide for a second. "Oh my god. I didn't tell you guys about the marshmallow hater that came in earlier!"

waffle house

jonas brothers

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

malcolm.

• mood

having fomo

As Malcolm was retrieving the cigarette lighter from his pants, Josie beat him to it, handing hers to Diana instead, yet he let his fingers linger there a moment longer, thumb pad running over the rhinestone surface.

“Hey, Mal, can I borrow your lighter?”

“Sure.”

Malcolm didn’t hesitate to relinquish his lighter to Josie—why should he? He hadn’t even remembered its absence until his friend brought it back a half hour later, bedazzled and covered in stickers. It looked like a kindergartener’s art project.

“Josie,” Mal chided, tone taking on a whiny edge, a stark contrast to the amusement in his gaze. “What the hell is this?”

“I made it pretty.”

It was the only lighter he used now, and he feared the day it turned up missing under mysterious circumstances, as cigarette lighters were so inclined to do.

Malcolm laughed at Josie’s imaginative ramblings, his breaths coming out in white puffs as they hung in the chilled air ahead of him, clouding his vision momentarily before they evaporated into the night. “I’m pretty sure that kind of shit only works in Scooby Doo,” he said, “and I left my Fred costume at home.”

The three of them had dressed up as the Mystery Gang one year for Halloween, along with Reggie and Morgan—a clear indicator of exactly how much time had passed since. It hadn’t been the ideal scenario—Reggie had insisted that he made the better Shaggy, leaving Mal to fill the role of Fred, and he’d bleached his hair to fully commit to the part out of spite; then, the day of Halloween, Malcolm had convinced Diana to dye her hair orange for her Daphne costume in solidarity, only for them to find themselves in the bathtub hours later trying to scrub it all out when it had turned out to be a more Garfield-reminiscent shade. Despite all of the negatives, though, it had been the source of some of their fondest memories.

“We could always just walk in. I’m not scared of Cody. I’ll protect you.” Mal’s eyes darted between Josie and Diana before he corrected himself, Both of you, obviously.”

As expected, midway through their journey, Malcolm had become substantially less eager to fulfill their intended purpose of gathering treats for the night. The higher they climbed, the colder it became, and suddenly, he wished he’d thought to wear more layers than a couple of t-shirts and a hoodie. Reaching up, Mal tugged the band of his beanie down further over his reddened ears, however, it didn’t cover them entirely—two small, gold hoops dangling from either lobe still glimmered in the light reflecting from the snow underfoot.

“Hot chocolate would be so good right now,” Malcolm agreed. “We can keep it hot with the warmth in our hearts.” He clasped his hands over his chest for dramatic emphasis, but regretted it almost immediately, returning them to the quickly fading heat of his pockets.

“Marshmallow hater? I didn’t know people like that even existed.” Mal probably would’ve accused the man of more—kicking puppies, most likely—regardless of the fact that he’d known of his existence for all of five seconds, but the sound of music playing nearby stopped him. “Do you hear that?” he asked, squinting at the resort as it came more clearly into view and hurrying his pace, leaving behind Josie and Diana in his impatience.

The fresh layer of powder coating the ground outside the resort was lit in square patches here and there, a tell-tale sign of activity within its walls if the unmistakable jazz notes weren’t enough of a giveaway already. Malcolm stopped in his tracks, tall figure silhouetted in the orange glow of a window.

“They’re throwing a party without us.” Mal spun to face his companions, disbelief scrawled across his features. “Can you believe it?”

Actually, he could. The world in which the rich resided was so far removed from theirs—aside from what little overlap their jobs provided, they weren’t allowed behind the curtain of glamour that the wealthy used to conceal their fragile lives. Curiosity may have killed the cat, but Malcolm was smart enough to hold his own, and he so desperately wanted a peek at what they got up to when their guards were down.

“Let’s crash it.”

let it snow

dean martin

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back