Spooky Writing Contest 2017 2055

Ferociousfeind

Shamrock Shake
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
The year is 2055 and I'm running out of time.

I am Jacob Mendelson. I am a starship captain. My first mate, David Garrison. He was a good friend. I... I have to remember.

My starship held 26,250 people. In such a case, the on-board rations could sustain the ship for two months - enough time to warp from Alpha Centauri to Sol and back, twenty-two times.

I dont know if anyone's coming after me. I don't know if they could get here in time. Where did it all go wrong?

I look up to the universe. It looks cold. It looks vast, beautiful, filled with life. Yet cold. David would know why.

I look down to the abyss. It looks empty, unknown.

I look to my right. I can see someone's dying ship descend into a black hole. As it falls in, it slows; the light from the ship becomes ever more redshifted.

I close my eyes. The abyss beckons me. I want to remember, one more time.

I am... Jacob. Jacob Mendelson. My first mate, David, fell out of a hole in the ship a few hours ago. By now he's gone forever.

I am the captain of the starship U.S.S. Enterprise.

No, that's a fictional ship. We're still working on antimatter propulsion.

The ship... She's named - we named her Serendipity. It's really cheesy, but it was ours. The U.S.S. Serendipity, across the galaxy.

It.. It holds... 25,000 people. We have enough rations for two months. We can warp from Alpha Centauri to alpha Mensae and back before supplies run out.

I look down into V616 Monocerotis. I can still see the outside universe, so I haven't crossed the edge yet. Or maybe not; it'd be impossible to tell.

The year is 2055 and it looks like I'm out of time.

~~~~~~~~

A distress beacon was activated. We came as fast as we could, but the damage has already been done.

The U.S.S. Serendipity dropped out of hyperspace a mere few hours ago. The black hole - V616 Monocerotis - made quick work of the ship after pulling it out of Hyperspace. 26,000 people, all dead. What appeared to be a hostile missile was actually a severed limb. It incinerated upon touching our shields, in a wave of superheated gore.

The hull creaked and groaned under the spaghettifying forces of the black hole. An alarm went off, part of the hull depressurized. Outside, the U.S.S. Serendipity fell further into V616. Escape pods jettisoned, and many simply fell back in. Someone wisely turned off the radio receiver.

Whoever may have survived won't find refuge here. We power the warp core and jet off, before the black hole could drag us in as well.

~~~~~~~~

And so lies the U.S.S. Serendipity, a victim and a testament to the dangers of space travel.

Dunno if this is spooky or just kind of sad. *shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back