Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey All,

So this is something I've been thinking about for a while due to the suggestions of everyone that has sent it in and here is what we are going to do. As many of you are aware before the monthly donations we only actually did it once a year and we raised the site's entire costs + extra money (extra means addons, bug fixes, feature development and the sort since hiring developers costs money) and that was fine and all for a year years until it became apparent that locking the entire year to one goal was terrible because costs and bills change regularly due to upgrades/downgrades of the server for example being one of the biggest culprits of that and dealing with large amounts of money is also usually a pain.

With that said we decided to switch to a monthly format and only ask for exactly what we need and this has worked out spectacular because as the costs go up and down we can alter the goal on the fly, like when the site costs went from 500 down to 350. There is just one fatal flaw with this however. We are only raising money to keep the site on and not much else. Suggestions and feature development have slowed down to a stand still.

So lets have a smaller yearly (maybe even every two years) fundraiser just for the extras, for hiring devs, getting stuff done. If we successfully did this like in the past before we switched to the monthly format we'd have things like The Nyte Life done because we could just pay actual professions to have everything made and tailored to the site's needs

Unlike the monthly goal, during the rare times that this event shows up, every 5 dollars you donate is an extra month of gold name/supporter ribbon (which you can gift to other users by the way). The regular monthly goals only last month to month. We also plan to have some custom icons made for this event for those of you who like to collect the awesome pixel artwork made by our artists on the staff team.

For donations we obviously accept Paypal (you don't need a paypal account, it lets you check out with your card as a guest) and Google Wallet (you can send money to other gmail accounts as an attachment, pm me directly if you want to donate this way).

You can see the goal tracker here.

If you have any questions/feedback/concerns please post here. I made the goal a large number so it doesn't stop for a while and its set to auto stop on September 1st.

Jazzy said:
You can bet I'll help out :D
Yeah for the longest time we've been trying to find the best way to raise money for the site and monthly goals have completely removed the stress out of it at the cost of never again having money for actual site development considering how fast features and stuff used to get fixed due to the yearly ones we used to do. Lets try a smaller yearly or every two years fundraiser with the monthly ones instead.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Yeah for the longest time we've been trying to find the best way to raise money for the site and monthly goals have completely removed the stress out of it at the cost of never again having money for actual site development considering how fast features and stuff used to get fixed due to the yearly ones we used to do. Lets try a smaller yearly or every two years fundraiser with the monthly ones instead.

[/QUOTE]
So both donations will be going on at once right?

Another question. Will keys be given out for the longer donations? Like something similar to the bronze, silver, and gold ones?

Jazzy said:
Another question. Will keys be given out for the longer donations? Like something similar to the bronze, silver, and gold ones?
They just won't be keys most likely and if they are key shape they will be a new symbol. Lets get new stuff in :D !

Jazzy said:
So both donations will be going on at once right?
Yeah the fundraiser isn't required to keep the site running. Its just the extra money we used to get for shiny stuff back when we raised money through the other format.

Couldn't you have added dev costs to the monthly donation? :P

Not that this way doesn't work. It's honestly one or the other IMO. Both will/would work

Although I'm just straight up hyped for Nyte Life woot woot

also question: is it still possible to donate to get the may pixel? my bank account got messed up and i haven't been able to donate yet.

Bobisdead123 said:
Couldn't you have added dev costs to the monthly donation? :P
Not that this way doesn't work. It's honestly one or the other IMO. Both will/would work

Although I'm just straight up hyped for Nyte Life woot woot
I did think about that but I want to keep the monthly donation down as much as possible and honestly this way is more transparent. People know we are exactly asking for money to advance the site's features, not to keep the lights on.

Eunoia said:
also question: is it still possible to donate to get the may pixel? my bank account got messed up and i haven't been able to donate yet.
Yeah. If you go to the donation tracker the may one should still be there!

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard] honestly this way is more transparent. People know we are exactly asking for money to advance the site's features, not to keep the lights on.

[/QUOTE]
I figured that was your reason.

I respect your integrity :)

Now time to unwatch this thread before my alerts get swamped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bea said:
Will there still be monthlys during the summer fundraiser? I'd love to do both c:
Yeah we will have to since the monthly is still more important. The fundraiser is more of a side thing to get things done.

Well.

There are going to be muliple year long donation periods in the future?

Jazzy said:
Well.
There are going to be muliple year long donation periods in the future?
Do yo umean if we will do this yearly one more then one? Sure. Once every year or every two years as needed.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Do yo umean if we will do this yearly one more then one? Sure. Once every year or every two years as needed.

[/QUOTE]
I read the message incorrectly. I saw it as you will be having one to two year donation periods. My bad :)

Pardon my newbie intrusion, but I had a relevant thought! I used to be a member of a very art heavy forum, and when any of our artists were in dire need of money (like, need to pay electric or sudden medical bills dire) they had the option to open commissions--but in the form of a raffle! They would make a thread detailing exactly what the winner would get (colored fullbody, two person portrait, painterly style coloring or maybe cell shading, etc.) then they would choose a number of slots they think could be filled (it was usually 100) and each slot cost a dollar. Members could buy whatever number slot they wanted, and however many they wanted (for themselves or for their friends, or both!) and then at the end of the raffle the artist would random number generate one of the slot numbers to win whatever prize was being offered, customized to whatever the winner wanted. So if the prize was a full body cell shade of a human character, the winner could choose what character and get the commission custom made for them. It was pretty popular... Maybe a similar system might work here?

Aw, every month I was very excited for each badge. Guess it's best for the site but I still won't be the best Pokemon collector, though. ;u;

I'll still help out :)

Tronethiel said:
We can't pass out banners per 5 dollars on the monthly's though, right? Just this big one?
We could and we will.

Sunkissed said:
Aw, every month I was very excited for each badge. Guess it's best for the site but I still won't be the best Pokemon collector, though. ;u;
I'll still help out :)
We are still doing monthly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back