18:18 - A Notable Lack of Everything

Hydrachild

Spawn of the Archbeast
Hello everyone! My name here on the forums is Hydrachild, and I am currently running two interest checks to figure out which one of my ideas people would prefer to see brought to life.

The other one can be found here: Under the Second Sky

And yes, I know; This one doesn't have any fancy artwork.

I promise that I'll make some if it takes off, though.

To make sure you've got any interest in what this play has to offer before you proceed, here's an extremely low-detail summary.

Genre: High-Fantasy

Time-Period: The end of time has come and gone.

World: None.

Gameplay Type: Rule-Less, Common Sense Based and GM Moderated.

Gameplay Focus: World Shaping, Survival, Character Growth, Figuring out what the heck is going on and Searching for Purpose.

What Is Required of the Player: Respect for others players as well as the DM.

Do not join this RP if you can not make at least one post every couple of days on a regular basis (breaks from time to time are of course OK. Stuff happens.).

Apart from that, reading the rest of this post is all that i require.

18:18

The world broke. It ended.

After that, nothing happened for a while.
Well, technically there was no 'while' for nothing to happen in, since time had ceased to exist as a concept along with everything else, but that's most likely besides the point right now.

Then came The Plain. Where it came from is a very good question.

A great white expanse, consisting of nothing. It wasn't much, but it was still an improvement over the great null and void consisting of nothing which wasn't before it.

It was peaceful for a while. Then, things begun appearing.

One of these 'things' was you.

You came out of nowhere, into nowhere, and floated around in nothing for a while.

All around you other 'things' came into existence.

Some were relatively close, others were mindbogglingly far away. Well, that or they actually were just black spots on the great white void.

It was while this happened, this chaotic appearance of 'things', that you started pondering who you were.

You had existed before, hadn't you? You weren't just some new being that was just now having it's first experience with existence, right?

But alas, you remembered nothing. Nothing save the fact that you ought to remember something.

Then came The Chunks.

Pieces of land, debris of what some assumed once was, started appearing among the multitude of 'things'.

Some were fortunate to have these chunks appear under them, or at least near them, and were able to grab onto something before they drifted away.

Gravity was not a factor, however, so at the time these chunks seemed to serve little purpose other than to look interesting.

More and more chunks appeared, and over time small landmasses of cross-stitched world-debris formed. Some used these as gathering points, and as more and more people managed to get onto one of them groups began forming.

Fledgling societies were forming. Sadly for you, you were still all on your own.

A small, tiny chunk had appeared for you. It floated far away from all the others, and you were alone.

Then came The Laws of Existence.

The tranquil existence that had reigned supreme, free of such things as hunger, gravity and bodily malfunctions, ended.

People started getting hungry. People started getting sick. Some even died for no apparent reason.

To add to it all, anyone that hadn't gotten onto a chunk... fell.

Gravity had returned, although whatever was causing the omnipresent gravitational pull was nowhere to be seen.

Those who fell would later become known as the aptly named 'Fallen'.

The chunks did not seem to care for this gravitation, however, and stayed afloat. The only notable change was that all of them now shared the same horizontal axis, where concepts like 'up' and 'down' had previously been things of the past.

Then came The Gifts.

Some, you included, were granted a very interesting abilities. As more 'things' and chunks kept appearing, you and the other gifted began realizing what you could do.

You could create chunks.

You could, although with a bunch of limitations, shape the world around you. You could make a path for you and your fellow drifters to walk on, you could connect a set of chunks into a cluster.

You could even shape the clusters that were already in existence, breathing life into vegetation and small-scale animal life.

Well, doing any of the previously mentioned things very quickly exhausted you, but they were all within your abilities.

Then came The Great Roads.

A large amount of chunks appeared, all at once, connecting many of the existing clusters to each other in an instant.

The first Null Rivers began flowing, and chunks with great bodies of water came to be.

'Things' were beginning to look like a world worth existing in.

What did you do then, when the cogs of the world started spinning anew, at the End of The End?

Now that is a good question.

Alright, that's it for the 'lore' introduction everyone. I thank you for sticking with me through all of that, and I hope that I've managed to provide an interesting read.

SO, what is your role in all of this? What will you do?

The answer to that question happens to be perfectly intertwineable with an explanation of how player characters and character creation works, so I'm going to intertwine the heck out of it.

But first, I will say that you can generally expect A LOT of freedom.

I will be moderating the roleplay, but in general you can have your character do whatever you see fit within contextual reason. Among the few things that you can NOT decide in your posts is the actions of NPCs (I will be taking care of that) and the actions of other players.

Try to limit your posts to describing your character's actions, not the results of them. Leave those for me to decide. Just like in real life, you never know what is going to happen.

That said, the void is your oyster.

Character Creation:

In 18:18 you play as one of the drifters that are able to manipulate the nothingness around them, creating new matter and changing that which already is.

Who you are, what you are, and what you can do is ALMOST entirely up to you.

Did your character exist before the end of time? Is your character an entirely new being, spawned from the womb of the void? You might know the answer, but your character certainly doesn't.

Are you a confused human male, ordinary in every aspect except for your unique gift and your ability to become invisible when standing still?

Are you a displeased reptilian, who just happens to have spontaneously become humanoid?

Are you a sorrowful space-beast, who misses the days when the void was black and full of stars?

The choice is yours, and below you will find the character sheet that will guide you through this process of creation.

Name: In 18:18, names are purely optional. Perhaps you've forgotten yours, or perhaps you never had one.

In any case chances are you'll be given one, so I recommend that you choose it yourself.

Race: Anything goes. Of course, being an underseas amoeba that is incapable of communication might not make for a very fun roleplaying experience, but it's your call.

Background: Now here's a bit of a tricky one. Since your character has no memories of what was before, you can't really write a big and detailed backstory, can you now? What you can do, however, is write about your character as he/she/it is as the roleplay begins.

The memories may be gone, but the personality is not. Maybe your character even has a few ideas of what his/her/it's past might have been. Looks, talents, fears and phobias; all of it goes here.

Starting Ability: Now, at this point you should already be aware that every player has some pretty neat creation powers. That is not all, however. In the Great Plain very little is abnormal, and every player starts with an additional special ability of their choice. Are you a talented pyromancer, can you see a bit into the future or the past? It's all up to you, within reason. Contextual reason.

More abilities and feats can be acquired as the roleplay progresses, although you will have to figure out how on your own.

Goal: Alright, now here's where things get juicy.

In 18:18 every character has a goal. Something your character wants to accomplish, and which won't be easy to do. This can be something very simple, like surviving for a set amount of time, or something a bit more complicated like establishing yourself as a deity for a group of other drifters.

Once somebody has accomplished their goal, they are presented with a choice:

A: You create a new character, starting with two special abilities on top of the power of creation instead of one. Every time this choice is picked the number and/or power of the starting abilities increases.

Additionally I will send you a snippet of lore relating to the world that was before, and how it ended.

B: Your character sets a new goal. He/she/it then acquires a new special ability, or improves the strength of an existing one.

Additionally I will send you a snippet of lore relating to the re-appearance of the world.

Note that the level of reward given for completing a goal is dependent on the impressiveness of the accomplishment.

...and I do believe that's it for now.

If you're interested in braving the great white void, or have any questions, let me know.

Cheers, and thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for showing interest, but for now it seems like the scales are favoring Under the Second Sky.

If there are sufficient interested people, I WILL eventually host this one as well, but for now It will most probably be put aside.

Of course, i could potentially run both at the same time, and if you folks would like to see that happen then I'll definitely consider it.

Cheers!

-Hydrachild

Users who are viewing this thread

Back