1. Initiation

Quincunx

inactive
The summer was ending, but Vacuo's desert showed no signs of knowing.

While cicadas would buzz in Vale or Mistral, here the wind rustled through shrubby trees and the occasional screech of a bird. The expanse of sand, stone, and succulents was the same as it was every season, yellow and orange flecked with dull green. In the clear blue sky, the sun beat down on the one thing that had changed - the combat school, a three-floor mansion of wood and light clay with a red-orange tower in its great backyard, flew the flag of the White Fang.

Shade Academy would never know another summer. After nearly a decade of careful manipulation, replacing faculty and revising codes, and a conveniently-timed natural disaster, the White Fang School of Change had moved into Vacuo, and had gained a shaky acceptance throughout the region. Humans outside didn't approve, but what would they do? Unite against Vacuo and mobilize armies on a school full of children?

No, class would be in session for the WFSC this year.

A small crowd of students had gathered beneath the wooden pergolas - they were the first-years, other than the four at the front behind Headmistress Boudicca Burgundy, an tall and imposing butterfly faunus. There were twelve students in total, of different races, listening to Burgundy end her speech. "In conclusion, you are the soldiers of change. Faunus, even humans, can help our cause. As our Huntsmen, you will crush the forces of evil and oppression."

"But before I see you on the battlefields of change, I have to know you can fight. Follow your upperclassman, Gallica Rosa, to the initiation area," Burgundy directed, gesturing to the rabbit faunus with an odd-looking gun holstered at her hip. Gallica smiled dreamily in the general direction of the students, and skipped over to a trapdoor carefully concealed by short trees near the school entrance. The faunus girl opened the trapdoor, and made a "go on" motion to the ladder in the hole.

Just when Nana Hinata was about to head down, Gallica stopped her at the last moment. "It's dangerous... to go without... knowing what you're doing. For example, I remember... I mean, the first three people you meet are your... team. You need to get to the... island with the masks... for the welcome masquerade. Oh, and be careful. The Grimm... they can swim."

Going down the ladder would reveal it was just a few steps short of hitting the ground - in fact, the ground was a plastic floor beneath the roaring waters of an underground reservoir of rainwater. The current split off after about thirty feet, around a few far-apart but large islands covered in pipework and littered with tools. A few inflatable rafts with paddles were tied to pipes at each island.

The water was fresh, but few people would drink it. Nobody knew the effects of drinking water tainted by the Grimm that stalked the pipes and swam in the deeper waters.

@Kiyoko Tomoe @RedLikeRoses @Thetas @Dkingow @Chisengen @Yanipurr @RaptorHonks

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 152976"I guess this is it then, time to finally make my parents proud"

Steel had been training for this very moment his entire life up until this point. So it was only natural he'd feel a little anxious. He had no real idea what would happen to him if he messed up today. His parents were liable to do anything, they might even disown him if he failed in becoming a hunter. Steel didn't pay much attention to the beginning speech, and simply stared forward blankly as an innumerable amount of worries raced through his mind. 

Eventually, he was snapped out of this as he saw the other students began looking towards a girl dressed in all pink. The girl revealed a ladder leading towards... god knows what.  He noticed that most of the students seemed apprehensive to head down to whatever was below, so Steel took it upon himself to lead the way. 

"Come on everyone, this is the moment we've all been waiting for!" He energetically told everyone as he marched towards the ladder. He then proceeded to leap down the ladder and onto the ground, making a loud clanking sound as his armor slammed into the floor. Steel turned to watch everyone as they joined him on the lower floor, making sure he was there if anyone fell on the way down.

latest

-Forrest Fuchsia-

The whole speech went in Forrest's right ear, and out the left within a few seconds. All he could think about was how far of a fall the hatch lead to. And he was determined to find out first-hand. As soon as the hatch was opened, Forrest opened his mouth to yell out 'I call first!' So that he wouldn't hit anyone on the way down. His face fell as a... Knight, heroically lead the way down. Forrest huffed a bit and crossed his arms, before muttering "Your funeral...", Purposely well within earshot of many others. He wanted to hear their approval as they connected the dots...

Forrest broke into a sprint once he knew that the knight was on the ground, pushing past many students who were on their way down. He smirked a bit, and jumped upwards, doing half a front-flip, so that he was upside down. His back slammed into the wall behind the hatch, causing him to slide down the hatch face-first. He didn't expect Mr. Knight to be waiting to catch him...

View attachment 152976Steel didn't hear the less than optimistic comment that Forrest made, and he most likely didn't want to. But one thing he did notice was a boy falling face-first towards the hard plastic floor underneath him. He acted immediately and grabbed the boy by his shirt and pants stopping his descent immediately. "Woah there! Your tale was almost ended prematurely there" He told him as he flipped the boy over in his arms so that his feet were touching the ground before letting him go.  

Steel gave the boy an honest smile as he set him back on the ground and looked eager to see how the boy would respond.

@Thetas

Rhythm Alister

View attachment 159807

Rhythm watched the opening ceremony with no interest. He would look back over his shoulder thinking his 'father' would be there waiting to surprise him. Knowing what surprise would wait he always kept one hand on his dagger at all times. 'I cannot afford to lose my guard now.' He thought as he listened to the Headmistress.

With everyone starting to walk off Rhythm followed. 'Initiation huh?' He thought as he pulled out one of his daggers. He inspected it to make sure it was on par before doing the same to the other. He looked around again at all the people who were around him. 'He could have hired anyone. I can't let any of them get the drop on me.' His mind was racing as he watched someone dressed in heavy armor lead the way. 'And that one may be my first target.' He thought smirking as he put his daggers away.

When they made it to the tree and the armored man jumped down he sighed. "Why do people have to show off." He scoffed. As if on cue the next person tired to do some acrobats before sliding face first down the hole. He just chuckled a bit as he walked over and looked down. He froze for a moment as he saw him and everyone else down below in a semi-lit area. "It seems safe enough." He said to himself before turning around and heading down the normal way. "I'm coming down." He called out to let the two below know that he was going to be down shortly and to get out of the way.

latest

-Forrest Fuchsia-

Forrest was happy that the knight was able to catch him... Though, he would've rather landed on his own. Forrest huffed a bit once he was back on the ground, and held out his hand as a way of introducing himself; The boring way. He let out another small huff, before finally speaking. "I'm Forrest." He whispered, obviously unhappy with the events that transpired moments before. As he waited for the knight to shake his hand and introduce himself, he inspected every inch of the man from a distance. The first thing he noticed was the armor... Although he would never, ever wear something like that, he could see how it would be useful for a defensive fighting style. The second thing he noticed was his sword and shield. Lame. The third thing he noticed was how long this guy was taking. In truth, it was probably only a few seconds. But Forrest was very, very impatient.

Steel looked the boy over at the same he did the same. To Steel, the boy's attire was far from practical in combat, but the katana he had was definitely intimidating. It was clear he focused more on eliminating any opposition rather than protecting his allies. Steel could already imagine how effective they could be together... His battle fantasies were cut short as the other boy stated his name and offered their hand.

Steel could tell Forrest was reluctant to introduce himself, but Steel knew what he could do about that. He gave the boy a firm handshake before saying "my name is Steel Pendragon, and fret not I believe I was the only one who saw your blunder". 

@Thetas

Nana had no patience for listening to speeches. Hidden in the middle of the crowd, she'd sat down, pulled out her tools and a small glob of clay she'd been working on, and set to work. Eyes narrowed, the words about change and oppression and long-awaited freedom rolled off of her like water from a leaf. When people started moving, she heaved a sigh of relief, and when Headmistress Burgundy's back was turned while speaking to one of the upperclassmen, Nana twisted her face into a snarl for just a fraction of a second.

She was here to make a change, alright.

Following the ditzy faunus to the trapdoor, Nana considered waiting until she was last in line to go down, just out of spite to the institution. But her curiosity got the best of her when she heard the wet, splashing thuds of the people who'd gone ahead of her. "Out of my way," she said with a grunt as she shoved her way to the front through the remaining students. The rabbit faunus looked at her with what was probably disapproval as she held open the hatch. Nana clambered down the ladder until her feet couldn't find another step. All there was was the rush of water over the faraway chatting of students. She looked down into the dimly lit... underground lake? Reservoir? ... before letting go of the rung.

Cold water soaked through her halter dress, made of thankfully thick and opaque material, as she landed on a hard plastic floor. She glanced around, looking for other students. Something slithered past the bare section of her thigh. Just as she picked someone out, she was swept off her feet by the current. Too surprised to think about using her Semblance to make an anchor, she struggled to swim, and cried out as a young man's heavy sheathed katana whacked her in the face. How was he standing still, she wondered, grabbing onto his shoulder without thinking.

@Chisengen @Thetas

For once in her life, Magenta was genuinely excited. Here she was at the White Fang School of Change, preparing to make her dream become a reality. She listened to the Headmistress with bated breath and wide eyes, a broad smile of admiration written across her face. 'This will be the day that I start my journey and prove to the White Fang that I can be just as good as them all!' She thought. As people started to walk over to the initiation grounds, Magenta followed close behind, checking to make sure she was prepared. "Weapon, check. Dust, check, check, and check. We're ready." She grinned, pushing through the people with determination.

Her quiet nature kept her from apologizing, or even saying a simple excuse me, but she was praised by the White Fang for her antisocial tendencies, so she embraced them. Without warning, Magenta made her down the ladder, faster than the person who was unbeknownst to her, directly below her. When she tried to go down another step, and instead felt her boot kick something softer, panic surged through her. "I'm sorry!" She squeaked, assuming the person she had kicked was a Faunus. Magenta quickly slid off of the ladder, hoping that she didn't injure the person below her anymore. "I didn't know you were there!" She tried to explain, looking painfully apologetic. However, when she noticed that he was just a human, much like her, a small frown formed on her lips, and her face resumed it's stoic expression. 

@Dkingow

latest

-Forrest Fuchsia-

Forrest was less than amused by the knights way of speaking. He huffed a bit, and turned around, more interested in exploring the area than dealing with Steel's heroic attitude. He hardly paid attention to the girl falling a few feet away from him... The current hardly seemed strong enough to knock a person down... It was more of a minor annoyance than anything else. Speaking of minor annoyances... He felt a rather strong grip on his shoulder, which instinctively made him turn around as quickly as he possibly could. He expected a giant Ursa to be towering over him... Instead, he found a soaking wet girl. His face softened a bit, and he calmly grabbed her upper arm, keeping her from falling down again. He put a hand on her hip and helped her regain her composure, before letting go of her and looking around the area, taking note of the quickly changing currents, and the weapons and visible skills of the other students. He was amazed by the sheer size of the reservoir... He awkwardly bent his arm back so the girl could shake his hand, without looking back at her.

"I-I'm Forrest..."

He muttered in a hushed tone, as if hiding from something. Though, there was a strong hint of pure amazement in his voice...

View attachment 152976Steel visibly tensed up as he saw Nana tumbling into the water current. He took a hurried step forward to help her, but Forrest was already addressing her. Steel took a relaxed breath before bringing a hand to his chest "My, It seems gravity isn't pulling any punches today huh?". Steel gave a small chuckle at his own joke before looking around the area. He had been focused far too hard on the individual hunters that were to be joining him in this initiation, and didn't even think about his surroundings. He could see how the water current would be annoying especially for someone as light as the faunus in front of him, but luckily enough for him his armor nullified most of the current's effects. Still, he would be in some trouble if they were expected to swim. While he had training and could swim perfectly fine, his armor wasn't exactly the most water worthy vessel. 

He would have happily looked around for an hour thinking of the best strategies to go about what exactly they might be doing here, but right now there was a drenched girl in front of him who was probably pissed beyond all belief. He quickly turned back towards Forrest and Nana. With a quick glance, Steel could tell that Forrest was a little overwhelmed by the number of things going on, and so he figured he would take it upon himself to give her an apology. Steel gave her a slight smile before solemnly telling her "My name is Steel Pendragon, and I am sorry for what happened. I should've reacted faster before you fell. Please spare Forrest, It was I who distracted him after all".

@Thetas @Mollisol

Rhythm Alister

View attachment 159807

Rhythm looked at the girl who had been falling trying to walk over to her. "I will help you..." He said before a hit to the back of his head caused him to fall. He sighed as he ended up falling in the water. 'How did I not see this coming?' He thought as was clearly annoyed now getting thrown through the water. 'All I wanted to do was help one person and look where it got me. This is why I don't help people.' He said as was forced down the water and back up again before finally grabbing onto a rock. 

Pulling himself up he looked around confused. There was a bit of light on the rocks but he really couldn't see anything at all. "Well I guess I have to find my way out now." He said out loud as he sat on the ground together his thoughts. He pulled his thoughts together as he activated his semblance. It would help if he saw anyone else falling or if something were coming at him in the next minute or two. 'I hope with my luck there isn't.' He thought as he just wanted to dry off.

@RedLikeRoses 

Nana hadn't been seriously considering biting Forrest's head off, but at Steel's apology, she stopped to consider what exactly she was feeling, and what she needed to do. She was most definitely pissed about being soaking wet - she was a decent swimmer, but did these people really expect everyone to be? Besides, if any water had splashed in the pockets of her dress, her sculpture was ruined.

She turned her attention to the armored person who'd just apologized to her, the sighing person introducing himself, and the seemingly dazed person whom she'd crashed into. "I'm Nana, and I... am glad you apologized and would like to get the hell out of the water, because there's something in here with us." She resisted touching anyone else, and turned to give Forrest a quick look unhardened by her usual bitter scowl. She didn't say anything, not wanting people to think she was soft. But it was the least she could do to someone who wasn't even mad about a stranger slamming into him.

@Chisengen @Thetas @Dkingow

latest

-Forrest Fuchsia-

Forrest huffed a bit again; as a reaction to Mr. Knight's apology. He turned around, his face showing vividly that he was upset. His mouth opened, as if he were about to either talk, or rather, yell; But instead, he shut his mouth, made a fist, let out a huff, and walked off. He had no idea where he was going... But it was away from the others. He had enough of people for today. He stuck to the shallow waters, and stormed off to one of the islands, keeping a look-out for any Grimm. He was having more trouble with the current than the Grimm, though... He whipped out his katana and dug it into the plastic ground to keep himself up while a strong current struggled against his ankles. After the current was over, he flicked off the water, and continued storming off.

@Mollisol

((You should really give some more description of the area in your next post.. It's really confusing >-<))

((OOC post further explaining the area, with a map. Introduces some unmentioned details. @Thetas @everyone)

The squares next to the islands say "raft", the thing that looks like a serpent near the far island at the top of the page says "Grimm", and the text above the fish drawings near the current says "small Grimm horde".

map.jpg

Characters are standing in an area of water where the current won't sweep them off their feet, but moving too far forward will cause them to be swept up and moved to either the nearest left or right island (one team moves to the left, the other to the right).

Each island (both near and far) has plenty of room to walk around, but there are also clusters of pipes and control panels that can be climbed up or hidden behind. The control panels can be used to turn the current on or off, but they only control the current on the same left-or-right side of the map as the island. Near each "near" island are two flat wooden rafts, tied to pipes, that can each support two people's weight. These can be used to get around by floating on the current, allowing players to avoid the swimming Grimm. The Grimm near the island are black creatures that look like vaguely piranhas, bite like sharks, are about the size of house cats, and are called Scurvies. Scurvies only do damage by biting. They sometimes jump out of the water, and hold off on attacking until they're in large groups. Also, they can fight the current and stay in one place, or move slowly in its direction, although it will carry them away after about 5 minutes.

The Grimm near the island with the masks is a 20-foot water serpent called a Slink. It attacks by biting, constricting, and whipping its tail. It never leaves the area in front of the mask island.

The mask island is a raised plastic platform that is completely flat, except for eight display cases containing one mask each. Four of the masks are Grimm masks with black feathers attached to represent a Nevermore, and four of the masks are Grimm masks with a soft texture to represent mammal-like Grimm. Members of a team are supposed to take the same kind of mask.))

map.jpg

Magenta watched as the stranger was knocked into the water. A sigh escaped her lips. Even though he wasn't a Faunus, he was still someone that she had knocked into the water, and therefore she needed to help him. 'I hope my weak structure can survive these currents.' She thought, just before diving into the water. The girl continued down the current for a few seconds, mainly against her will, as she tried to remember where she last saw the guy. Eventually, she grabbed onto a pipe on the edge of the stream and pulled herself up, shaking out the water in her hair. She looked around to see that she was now standing on a man-made island. 

"Um.. Excuse me?" She called, "Human boy?" The girl continued to walk around, calling out for the guy she had just hit, "Did you survive the currents?" She asked, calling out to the darkness. Hopefully he would find her before she found him, so she wouldn't have to waste her energy on walking around in a harshly lit area. @Dkingow

Rhythm Alister

View attachment 159807

Rhythm heard someone come up from the current. He sat where he was trying to think of how to lead her to him. He used his semblance to see them walk right into each other and the path they would both take if he moved. He then stood up and started walking but tripped on a rock he hadn't seen and went face first into the ground. "Ouch." He said as he looked up knowing she would know where he was by now. "I'm over here. And don't call me that!" He yelled as he tried to get back up. When he fell down again as he huffed. "Why is it that I can see so much but miss all the little things?" He complained as he sat up. He decided he wasn't going to move now and when he realized that he had to move to find her. He got up again and stated walking before again falling face first. This time he expected it and caught himself as he put his arms out and kept from hitting the ground with his face. "I swear it's like I'm walking on garbage." He cursed.

@RedLikeRoses

Quartz let out a slight yawn as the head teachers initiation came to an end, as usual he is a very tired individual and since summer ended he would only get more and more tired as the days went on thanks to it getting colder and his bear nature effecting him more and more so this was a rather bad time for Quartz in general but hopefully it wouldn't effect him too bad to start off with, however when winter comes it may end up being worse. Quartz simply placed his hands in his pocket as he simply listening to the headmistress as she finally finished and his eyes moved over to his upperclassman by the name of Gallica Rosa it seemed she would be the one taking the initiation so following her would be his best bet and as such that was his plan and it seemed to be the plan of many other individuals.

Gallica lead the group towards a trapdoor hidden behind some short tree nearby the entrance to the school. Gallica opened up the trapdoor and gave a motion for the group to go in which kind of annoyed Quartz as the 7'3 individual near 300 pounds individual has a problem with trapdoors and other small entry places which really isn't surprising thanks to both his height and weight. He decided to wait until most people had gotten into the trapdoor before he decided to enter it mostly since he didn't feel like jumping down so instead he decided to take the ladder and climb down instead. Quartz looked down at the floor it was covered in water with a plastic-like substance under it.

Quartz just simply stood around of a few seconds before a strong current hit him and sent him right into the water  lucky Quartz could swim rather well so he was able to keep his head out of the water for most of the time he spent in it. After what seemed like a minute maybe a little longer he found himself on a island it seemed almost man made but he just ignored it and pulled himself up, while the island seemed dark he could see perfectly thanks to his bear nature. The first thing he heard on the island was voices two of them meaning he wasn't the first person here. He decided to tract the voice down and he noticed two people both were humans he just simply stood their staring at the two he wanted to see how well they were at noticing things.

@RedLikeRoses @Dkingow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back