❝𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙘𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣❞

BNY

City 0215 was the jewel of the new world, rebuilt from the ashes of old Moscow and fitted with more technological wonder than anywhere else on the paved-over planet. The city existed in three primary levels, though sub-levels wound serpentine throughout.

Glittering towers rose into the skies, hovering on broad platforms, as sleek hovercraft darted in and out of the spaces between. Sky Level was named aptly, it seemed.

But just underneath the crystalline spires was yet more wonder; the Mid-Layer was less a work of art and more a wonder of the future. Neon shone brightly; androids and robots mingled freely with the myriad creatures moving briskly along catwalks.

But it was miles below, close to the surface of the earth, where everything happened. Artificial sunlight flickered overhead. Hooded figures kept their heads down. Hawkers barked their wares from dirty, ragged stalls; most of it was banned from the upper levels. Those on True Earth lived a very different reality from the people above them.

It was that reality into which Elio and her brother Vesper were born. Aberrants weren't very well loved in the other sectors, given their alarming diet. But neither twin had ever really considered it expressly a hardhsip. There was money to be made (and lots of it) under everyone's feet.

They sat shoulder-to-shoulder at a sagging noodle stand, staring into their bowls as they ate but talking to each other. "Are you sure he's gone? Maybe he just went on a bender and hasn't woken up yet." Vesper was rarely the one to assume the worst.

Elio shook her head. "He's missing, I'm sure of it."

Last edited:
Amidst the typical street hawkers and dealers was a younger guy who was covered in (surprisingly static) tattoos. He was notable perhaps only because he had his head raised high instead of lowered, and looked around with wide eyes instead of taking furtive glances down the street. He was handing out cryptically-worded slips of paper to anyone who’d take them, all the while mumbling vague resistance slogans. At the bottom of each was a small, blurry photo of a man.

Meanwhile, in the center of it all stood Avery Krucelekov: tall, officious, her business-casual button-up still somewhat pressed and white. In her hands was a paper map, of all things, which she raised up toward the fake sun. A tourist, an outsider: an easy mark, if you were looking for one. “I barely knew him; I’ll have it sorted,” she kept saying, to no one in particular.

Everyone usually minded their own business on True Earth. People kept their noses clean, or at least relatively.

Which was why an stranger with a map of all things- made of paper, no less- was drawing so much attention. Even Vesper, usually unbothered by the world around him, kept flicking the tourist wary glances.

After a moment longer, Elio stood up. "Hey, tourist," she called out. Those who'd slowed down to gawk at the girl with the map sped back up, fearful that an aberrant's involvement would mean bloodshed. Elio didn't have those designs, though. "Come get some noodles before you get robbed."

Last edited:
Avery snapped her head toward Elio and let the map fall to her side. As she squinted at the stranger, her lip drew upward in something like disgust. Then she gave a quick shake of her head, as though ashamed. She smiled thinly and held her palms out.

“Is it that obvious?” she said sarcastically, gesturing with the map. “In any case, thank you for the offer. I’d not like to impose, however. Perhaps you can give me directions, and I’ll be on my merry way.”

She made her way over, shoulders hunched in as she picked her way through the crowd. “You see, there’s been an error of some sort. I’m not meant to be here; in fact, I’m late for work.” She held out the map. “I’m a project lead. I manage a small team of coders, on a higher layer. We’re actually in the midst of a very important phase, designing…well.” She cleared her throat. “I won’t bore you with the details.”

She slicked back her hair and pulled the map in to study it again, all while becoming more and more rambling. “Suffice to say: someone I knew (a stranger, really) went missing—probably caught up in one unsavory business or another—and well, someone at the top mistakenly though that I—me, of all people—might be involved. So is there some sort of government building I could report to? Some agency in charge of relocations?”

Elio's ears twitched. A stranger missing? It could just be coincidence. People went missing in CIty 0215 all the time.

"There's not much down on this level. It's every man for himself. We might be able to help you, though." She pointed back at the noodle stand, to her empty seat and her brother who offered a half-hearted wave.

Last edited:
Avery returned Vesper’s wave with a grimace and a curt nod. “Yes, well...like I said, I do appreciate it, but I’m in a bit of a rush. So perhaps directions to the nearest government building would be the best help.”

She smiled, but her shoulders were tense. It seemed like she was maintaining more distance between them than social etiquette would dictate. She kept one polished shoe turned outward, pointed away from them.

Users who are viewing this thread