• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Vikings and Longboats (Still Looking!)

Would anyone be interested in a viking rp?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Calcifer

Would anyone be interested in a viking rp? It would be about their daily life, troubles, religion and of course raiding.

Eh, at the rate of how roleplays are dying before they even begin recently I may start to be up for anything. I say that since I have very little knowledge on vikings.

[QUOTE="Thane Korino]Eh, at the rate of how roleplays are dying before they even begin recently I may start to be up for anything. I say that since I have very little knowledge on vikings.

[/QUOTE]
Ah okay. Well when I make the thread, I will explain it slightly more

Here's a bit more of an insight:

Vikings get a bad name is history, but really they had quite a civil society- nor did they wear horned helmets.

Religion:

Their religion is norse paganism- worshipping the gods like Odin (wisdom), Thor (for strength and male fertility), Freyja (a protector of all females and a goddess of wealth and love), Frey (crops), Loki (mischief), etc… Each person worshipped the gods that they related to the most but equally prayed to other gods in times of need. They also believed that if you died in battle, you would end up in Valhalla but if you did not, you would go to Hel. It was an honor to die in battle and they were not afraid of it as they would be with Odin and train for the coning of Ragnarök. Additionally, exceptional shieldmaidems thay died on battle were picked by Freyja to become Valkyries. Valkyries bring the souls o the dead that die in battle to Valhalla.

Festivals:

Vikings celebrated festivals such as the soltaces: winter, summer, spring and autumn.

Society:

Everyone was a free person, even females, unless you were a slave. Men and women were allowed to fight as women could be shieldmaidens if they wish. Someone could kill another when protecting themselves, but anyone that murdered would be punished- most likely killed. The Jarls of holds would include the people in decisions (unless they were a bad leader). Anyone could change their status if they tried. For instance, if someone killed a Jarl in a duel, they would become the next Jarl. There is a king that oversees the Jarls that can influence what they do sometimes.

Raiding:

The reason that they raided was to find better land to grow crops and to find treasures. They became violent to other countries if they were attacked or threatened. Equally, they wanted to explore the world and find out new things.

Winter:

Winter is very harsh in scandinavia. Therefore, they had to store food for the winter as nothing would grow at this time. Towns and villages had grain stores and each household stored their own food.

Servants:

They are the only people that are not considered free. They are owned by whomever buys them. However, occasionally they can become free if their master allows them to do so. Slaves are usually people captured and enslaved from the different countries that the vikings raided.

@Thane Korino

ToolorDie said:
Well, Vikings are awesome. Shieldmaidens weren't a real thing, so I it seems you envision this as more like the History Channel original series Vikings. Either way, few people are interested in roleplaying such a fascinating society - but I'd say you have my attention
I am pretty sure shieldmaidens were real but okay I will make the thread soon

Last edited by a moderator:
ToolorDie said:
They showed up in mythology a lot but the evidence suggests they weren't around in reality. I watch the show a lot, and I know wikipedia. My knowledge is clearly unquestionable.
Please let me play...
Huh okay well still I know that women fought and yes you can :)

ToolorDie said:
Yes they did, when the men were pillaging. Will religion be a big part and give us some other subtle fantasy stuff?
Well its more to do with their life and raiding etc so I was thinking about doing that

I don't mind were the town is but can my character be from the Isle of Man because the Vikings had control of it for some time.

MrSquid123 said:
I don't mind were the town is but can my character be from the Isle of Man because the Vikings had control of it for some time.
Well I am basing it in Scandinavia unless they are raiding or decide to stay abroad so possibly not sorry. Although actually thinking about it he could be if he were born there but he would then have to be in Scandinavia

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean as in the came from the Isle of Man and moved to Scandinavia because then I have and idea for a good backstory

MrSquid123 said:
I mean as in the came from the Isle of Man and moved to Scandinavia because then I have and idea for a good backstory
Yes go ahead and do that- can't wait to see it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back