• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Raven and the Mountain {Closed}

The song echoed on long in her mind long after she was pulled from Roan's grasp. The fog of his disarming voice lingered as she was thrust behind soldiers backs for protection. She leaned heavily against a guard, her limbs still in command by another. Roan's room was rapidly filling with soldiers and members of the castle who wished to bear witness, it was only when she returned to Dufur that Elwyn's mind started to become her own again. She said nothing as Dufur swept her up into his arms, instead she wrapped her arms around his strong neck and buried her face into his comforting embrace.

The didn't speak as he took her to their bathing room, quickly his hands found the ties to her night gown and she obligingly stepped out of the wet material so he might begin his inspection over every bit of her. As his eyes and hands scanned over her Elwyn found she couldn't meet Dufur's eye. Her body bore the mark of another and she had fallen as easy prey to his trap. How on earth could the people trust a queen who would do such a thing. Surely she was an embarrassment to her husband. She half expected Dufur's first words to be the start of a lecture, but when he spoke so vehemently of his own lacking's her dark eyes turned up in surprise. He kneeled before her, head resting in her lap as he pleaded for her forgiveness.

Elwyn's hand raised, ready to delve into the dark locks of Dufur's hair. She wanted to comfort him, tell him that there had been no fault but her own, but Nalu's arrival had her hand freezing just a breath away from the nape of his neck.

"I wish to come." Elwyn spoke for the first time, she was proud of the strength in her voice. Dufur stepped away from her, still unable to meet her eye. The conversation she wished to have with him would have to wait, for now Elwyn wished to be part of the choice that deemed the future of her attacker. Elwyn stood from her place near the wash basin, and went out into the bedroom. Nalu helped her put on a simple black dress with a gold tie around her waist. Dufur also changed, switching his open robe for a grey tunic and black pants.

Husband and wife found themselves led to a large room with a long table that filled the stony space. Statues and shelves holding all manner of goods and books lined the walls with the occasional portrait anchored to the wall. The king along with his advisors were all seated around the table, all wearing various states of anger on the visages. upon the arrival of Elwyn and Dufur the group jumped to their feet.

"Princess Mother! By the Sage am I glad to see you safe." Gleendr took a step towards her, but after his warm eyes shifted to Dufur's menacing presence behind the elf he thought better of it.

"Come, sit." The king gestured to the two empty chairs on either side of him and Elwyn dutifully went to set on his left, leaving the right for Dufur. "Are you alright my dear?" Dufun asked, his hands reaching out to brush away at her hair that had fallen over her face. The mighty king stilled at the sight of the bruise marring the pale skin of her neck. All around her the eyes of the Dwarves burned like embers over the revealed mark.

"I will be quite alright." Elwyn said for the benefit of everyone, she did her best to muster a smile for assurances but it came off more like a grimace. "I wish to apologize to all of you. I should have run once I heard his song. I knew better, I will ensure such a mistake will not be made again." She should have kept her eyes up, looked each and every one of them in the eye as she apologized, despite the years of training she still couldn't make herself look up. The dark grain of the table remained her focus as she spoke. "I had assumed that he would have been grateful for the kindness and hospitality bestowed upon him but I was mistaken."

The table was silent for a heartbeat at her confession, before the advisors all burst into a chorus of assurances. It took almost ten minutes for the king to calm them. Dufun stroked his beard with a heavy sigh once they quieted.

"My dear daughter," He said gently "Not a soul here will begrudge your actions. He is your family, coming to his aid was simply natural. We are all in awe of your generous and open heart." Murmurs of agreement rippled around the table. "Please, look at us." He reached over and lifted her chin so she could see the dwarfs around the table. Their eyes were worried and warm--facial expressions ranging from comforting to anguished. "You are the Jewel under the mountain--the very heart of Homborimm and mother to all our people. Your very presence here betters our kingdom in ways we didn't think were possible. So, be kinder to yourself. You are precious to us."

Nalu and a few maids entered then, al carrying trays of tea and small snacks. As they were distributed, everyone settled back into their seats--politely ignoring the few tears that had slipped from Elwyn's eyes. When Nalu reached Elwyn, she placed a small vial beside her drink.

"A tonic for the pain, dear jewel." She said softly. "Worry not, your lady in waiting has been put to bed and was uninjured. Here, lte me get your hair away from your face." She grabbed a stood and pulled it up behind her, beginning to braid Elwyn's long hair.

"I think we should end him in the morning." Gleender said, beginning the discussion. "To let him live would be a slight upon the Princess Mother's honor." Several more echoed his sentiment. Dufun shook his head, sitting back in his chair.

"While I feel the same, that would be nigh impossible to do. He was welcomed and an honored guest, and is the first merman to ever see our hauls. I fear trade across the sea would suffer if we executed him." A few groaned in frustration and some began to argue, but Nalu spoke from behind Elwyn's chair.

"My lords, there is a matter of the Prince's honor." The whole table went quiet.

"That's true." Gleender replied "The Elvin king will surely try to revoke the marriage. One of the tenants of our agreement was that the prince was directly responsible for the Jewel's safety. We will at least need to make restitution."

"My son will need to repent." Dufun agreed. At Elwyn'd distressed look, he gave a comforting smile. "The first rule of marriage here is that the stronger partner will protect the weaker one, at cost of their own life if they must. Dufur broke this rule, and will need to publicly make amends--both to our people and yours. We must prove that we can properly guard you." Dufur's quiet, monotone voice spoke up.

"What would you have us do, Princess mother?"

What would she have them do? Elwyn's dark eyes widened as she found herself trapped at a crossroads. As Nalu braided the thin strands of her hair into a neat braid that rested along her shoulder Elwyn considered the puzzle in front of her. She was good at puzzles and conundrums, taking her time to pick and pull apart each issue and understand how to navigate around it. All around her the Dwarves kindly waited, knowing from their short time together that Elwyn was never the one to rush into a choice.

"The honour of myself and my husband is very important to me, but as is the livelihood of our people. I would not wish for trade to suffer." She spoke aloud letting everyone in on her thoughts as she mulled things over. "Is the death of my assailant the only course of action to ensure honour is restored? Or might a separate punishment be acceptable."

"What do you have in mind?" Dufun asked, leaning back in his chair as he considered.

"Perhaps we might hold a trial visible to the public, allow for both your people and mine to bear witness. The mermish people have a custom called the Rite of Shame. I've seen it preformed only once." Elwyn paused to thank Nalu who had finished with her braid. Around her the Dwarves listened with rapt attention, and yet still Dufur would not meet her eye. "Should a merman be given the Rite of Shame their voice is lost, and the magic they wield is rendered useless without their song." Elwyns lips pursed as she looked around the room, it was strange to her that her vision had brought her close to her death. Had the creature who called to her known what would happen? It didn't settle with her that they go to all these lengths to rescue Roan and it end up all for naught.

"Would this course of action bring back the honour that was lost this day?" Elwyn asked the room.

Gleender spoke up after her question. "It would resolve the issue of trade easily, Princess mother. But," He gave an uneasy look to the prince before continuing. "The honor of your husband is a different matter entirely. I'm afraid following a more traditional method would be best for that." Dufun sighed, rubbing his hands over his face wearily.

"I certainly did not think this would happen to my own son." He said bitterly "Especially not so young." Dufur seemed to shrink further into his chair.

"Well he's too valuable a craftsman to take a hand." One elder spoke, others nodding.

"Agreed. That would impede his ability to fight as well. A leg, then?" At Elwyn's strange look, the king turned to explain.

"Marriage is the most sacred bond here. To fail the very first tenant of that means a constant reminder must be employed upon them. Dufur will need to sever a limb before you and the public as reparations for his failure. He will need to make a public apology as well, and sometimes the offenders are sentenced to time in solitude as well. Though I don't think we'll need that in this instance. Dufur seems to fully understand what he has done. We will send a cast of his severed leg to your father as well with an apology and monetary reparations. However much he requires." Those around the table murmured agreement. Elwyn gave a horrified gasp.

"Worry not, Princess mother." Gleender tried to console her. "Since he is a prince, we will be able to provide him with the best prosthetic possible. He will not have to live without a leg for long." The Dwarfs around the table all looked confused when that didn't seem to pacify her. Nalu spoke up.

"My lords, your majesty, it is late. I think it is past time we all retire. We can solidify these plans in the morning." Elwyn and Dufur were allowed to leave first, and trudged back to their chambers in a heavy silence.

Shock had rendered the poor Elf mute, the silence was palpable between husband and wife as they left the king and his advisors. Dufur was to loose his leg? For the first time since her arrival Elwyn felt the insane urge to run and never look back. How could she go on knowing that if any harm was to come to her a pound of flesh would be demanded from her husband. When they reached their rooms Elwyn stood just a few feet in the room caught between her desire to comfort her husband and the need to rage against herself and her failings. She had placed Dufur in this situation and now he was paying for it. Her breathing quickened, her harsh intakes of breath filling the silence between them.

"What have I done?" A horrified hand crept up to her mouth as the words flew out of her mouth. This was all too much. Her fingers shook against the chilled skin of her lips and it took her a moment to understand she was shivering. She didn't wait to see what Dufur thought of her weakness, instead she twisted, her dark gown swirling around her feet as she made her way back to the door. "Forgive me." She managed to get the words out before her throat closed up with the need to sob.

She was back out into the hall and rushing down its long walkway without a thought as to where she was going. Elwyn kept her head down, not making eye contact with any that passed her by. She needed to be alone, and let herself process the nights events. Her mind was overwhelmed with the events that had taken place. Finally, Elwyn pushed her way into a door and shut it smartly behind her. A quick glance around the room showed that she was alone save for the great number of weapons that were neatly stacked away. It seemed she had sought solace in the armory.

Would Dufur use one of these weapons to remove his leg? Was there a special blade for such things? Even now in her panicked state her brain whirred with questions and wonderings. Elwyn found refuge in a small space between a rack holding a number of daggers and the stone wall. Her small body found rest there, curled up with her knees drawn to her chin as she sat on the floor. Elwyn had not taken shoes with her and her toes felt cool against the stone flooring. In an act of self preservation she tucked her dress around her feet and leaned her forehead against her knees. For a moment Elwyn tried to close her eyes and focus on her breathing but all that she could conjure was images of Dufur removing his own limb.

Dufun's words echoes in her ears, "...the stronger partner will protect the weaker one..." Her hands curled around one another and she lifted them to press hard against her closed eyelids. Dufun was simply stating facts, it was true that of the two of them Dufur was certainly the most physically strong, and yet the truth of the matter hurt her. That old niggling fear became a voice inside her head, whispering to her over and over again that she was nothing but a tool that had already outlived it's usefulness. It had been so rewarding to think of herself as a symbol of peace between the people, and now the transaction was over.

Needing to do something with her hands Elwyn reached for a expertly crafted dagger. Her fingers smoothed over the detailing of the hilt, it was perfectly balanced, the hilt weighty enough to counterbalance the length of the blade. It felt good to hold, and she wondered if she would be allowed to keep it. Perhaps if she spent some time away from her books and practiced defending herself she might save Dufur from the loss of any more limbs. She would have to pay amends to him, to the people for allowing such a thing to happen. She remained in the armory a long while, tucked away like a child hiding from its parents as she considered her next course of action.

Finally much later, and much calmer she returned to their rooms, dagger in hand.

Elwyn was gone many hours. Dufur was unsure of what to do, but ultimately left her alone. It seemed she needed some time to herself after the many strenuous events of the night. While she was gone, Dufur poured over the blueprints for her dragon scale armor. He needed something to put his shambled thoughts back in order. Work always calmed him. Elwyn returned close to dawn, clutching a dagger. Dufur sprang up, worry tight in his voice.

"My wife, I know I must have upset you, but please, put that down." She gave him a strange look, but put down the weapon. Dufur visibly breathed a sigh of relief. To his great surprise, his wife took him into an embrace, wrapping her arms around him tightly. Dufur hugged back, running his hand long her spine gently in an effort to calm her--though it seemed largely unneeded. She was calm, almost eerily so. The couple climbed into bed after and were both taken by sleep almost immediately.

They slept until the early afternoon, and had breakfast in their chambers. Dufur sighed heavily and sat back in his chair, observing her for a while in silence. "Elwyn." He said softly "I know how the events of last night have disturbed you so. I'm sorry. I'm sure it was quite an unpleasant shock. It is my fault that your knowledge of our culture is so lacking--please, forgive me. From now on Nalu will take a few hours a day to go over customs with you so you are not so taken aback again." He gave her a weak smile. "I hope that I can earn your forgiveness, dearest jewel."

"There is nothing to forgive." She replied in a matter of fact tone, picking at her plate.

"Clearly you are upset, my love." He could see her soften slightly at his use of affection.

"I'm not cross with you, Dufur." She said "I'm just...upset with myself. Had I been more careful or more capable, you would not be facing this now."

"My heart," Dufur leaned over the table to grab her hand. When he found it to be cold, he stood. Taking the fur draped over the couch, he came around to her side and wrapped it around her shoulders. "This is NOT your fault, do you understand me? You were in mortal danger and I was not there to protect you."

"But you didn't know!" She cried, frustration bringing tears to her eyes. "How could you protect me when you were asleep in another part of the castle?" Dufur held her hands in his own and sighed.

"For an ordinary couple, perhaps that would be taken into account." He admitted. "But we are not a normal couple, dearest jewel. Not only are you to be queen, but you are an emissary from the elves. If anything were to happen to you, it could mean war. That is why they are being so harsh. You are the mother of our people. All of Homborimm would be unable to recover if we lost you." Elwyn's expression was a storm of emotions. Dufur, desperate to help her, leaned forward and brushed a whiskery kiss to her neck. A hiccup of giggles escaped her lips, and an idea sprang to his mind. Dufur began to tickle his wife mercilessly, using his beard and hands. They fell over on the couch, Elwyn's breathless laughter bouncing off the walls.

"S-stop!! P-p-please!!" Finally, he relented, holding himself up over her.

"Finally. There's that radiant smile I so adore." A blush spread over her cheeks and ears. "You have brought so much light into my life. When you leave the room it feels as if the air itself is despondent with the loss."

Her laughter echoed down the halls of Homborimm and out to the outer city. Those in the castle near enough to hear her shrieks and giggles lifted their heads at first in alarm before warm smiles filtered over their features. Gossip and news of the event had traveled fast through the city, and yet how could they worry when the Mother under the Mountain laughed so. The elf's laughter died down and the people returned to their duties, the gardeners working with the seeds she'd gifted them and the curriers running to their next destination.

"Those are lovely words husband. Know your absence weighs heavily on my heart as well." Elwyn's cheeks were bright pink from her laughter, and she reached forward to bush a hand over a tuft of his hair that had come loose. There were a tangled mess on the couch, limbs entwined and chests heaving from their exertions. She sobered then, when his leg brushed against hers and once again she was reminded of the debt that must be paid. Dufur sensed her change and leaned back to examine her. It certainly unique having so much concern placed upon her when she should have been the one comforting him.

"I will not stand in the way of culture and tradition, but I hope you will allow me the chance to earn my honour back as well." Elwyn slide from her husbands grasp and gracefully stood from her place at the couch. Her long legs moved over the carpeted floor as she headed for the dagger she had procured the night before. Her hands circled over the hilt and for a moment Dufur looked stricken, she saw his hands tighten instinctively but she was grateful when he did not move.

"Take what you need." He murmured, his eyes casting downward. Elwyn moved back towards him, sinking to her knees in front of him while he remained seated on the couch. The same sense of calm seemed to take over her then and Elwyn's voice switched to her native tongue.

"Lotus under the moon, Jet and Gold be re-forged.
At this precipice we unite; a common aberration.
Steel and flame in twain, cleave what darkens this mantel.
Reclaim that which usurps."

The words came easily, a mantra she repeated over and over as she reached up and gathered her long dark hair in her hands. She left the strands which bared her marriage clasps hanging around her face, as she pulled feather and strand tightly in her hand. Once she was assured she had all of it in her hand she reached for the dagger. Dufur's eyes widened in understanding, and she caught him shaking his head slightly.

"I owe this to you and our king." She told him as the well sharpened blade cut through her dark locks. Her long hair gave way easily to the blade and soon Elwyn held a large bundle of her hair in her hands. The short hair was not unsightly on the Elven queen, though it certainly was a change of pace. Elves were known for their vain ways, taking care to ensure their long locks were as beautiful as the wisdom they carried. In truth she felt much lighter, it felt freeing. Her bundle of hair and feathers was separated into two, and she grabbed two napkins to wrap her offerings before coming to seat herself in front of Dufur again.

She held out her penance to him. "This will be the last time same is brought to this name." She vowed, the cogs in her mind already whirring to life with plans.

Dufur gave a nod and reverently took the parcel from his wife and stored it away in his desk to present to his father. Though he did not entirely understand the ceremony, her actions were perfectly clear. They spent the night in a pensive silence, each absorbed in their own thoughts.

The next weeks were filled with a flurry of activity, so much that the couple was barely able to see each other. Dufur had preparations for the penance atop his usual mountain of paperwork and other duties. Elwyn was overseeing the gardeners as well as helping the council coordinate the merpeople's dignitaries for the trial. All the while, Elwyn received couriers from Roan asking--pleading for an audience. Considering the gravity of the crime, the trial was quick to come together. After Homborimm modified some lagoon caves, Elwyn completed the necessary rites for the delegation to use magic to transport through the water itself.

The council had gathered in the lagoon, then the king, then Dufur and Elwyn. They would bring the witnesses in later. The water began to glow, it's colored shifting through greens, blues and purples. The merpeople materialized from it, two females and tow males. They were decorated in splendor, covered in jewels and pearls. They did not move to greet Elwyn, only gave sweeping bows. In a thick accent, one of the women spoke.

"We are saddened to meet like this." Her voice was raspy and hard to listen to. It was obvious she was not used to speaking above water. "We will bring the offender here and began at once." A few of them behind her joined hands and gave a quick chant--Roan appeared soon after. Seeing those with him in the water, he gave a cry.

"Elders, please! You must listen!" A hand rose and he fell silent.

"You will have a turn to speak. First, the princess's words."

Elwyn held Dufur's hand tightly as she began to speak, recounting the events of that night. After her, the servants, guards and even Kyrie all gave testimony. Finally, it was Roan's turn, and the whole room watched him.

"I do not know how I ended up in the caves." He began. His posture, expressions, and even manner of speaking were changed. It was as if he was someone different altogether. He wrung his webbed hands nervously. "But as soon as I laid eyes upon the princess-mother, it was as if I became bewitched. I was no longer in control of myself. It was like watching someone else act as me in a play. I deny nothing that I said or did in this time, but it was not I that made the actions! I was a puppet under some spell. Surely, you have spoken to Aluet? You must know I am not like that!"

The room erupted into concerned whispers, everyone giving one another shocked glances.

Even as she recounted the events Elwyn found her eyes drifting to Roan. The merman seemed stricken with horror at his own actions, and Elwyn found the whole ordeal rather strange. She was grateful for the strength of Dufur next to her and she clung to his hand tightly from beneath the folds of their robes. They had all remained standing for this preceding of events, the merpeople standing near the edge of the water, while those who lived with the dwarves stood by the glowing cave walls. Elwyn would have loved to explore and swim these waters but after the events that had brought them all together she found her taste for swimming had rather soured.

Roan was given a chance to speak and in desperate tones he pleaded with the room to understand that he had not been in control. It was like Elwyn was seeing a whole new person, even his tone of speaking was different from the merman she'd met in the bathing halls. As the room dissolved into whispers Elwyn bit her bottom lip considering this new information.

"Is it possible to test him, and see if a spell was woven?" One of the Elder's asked.

"It would be most difficult. We do not know what sort of magic was used. The methods of discovery are quite elaborate. We do not know if it was an incantation or something to be ingested, it is difficult to take over one's body so wholeheartedly but it is not unheard of." One of the dwarven members responded. He was an older man with a grey beard that he twiddled between his fingers as he spoke.

"Nevertheless, our Princess Mother was placed in danger from these events and we seek justice against those who failed her." The Dufun spoke now, his strong voice echoing in the halls, beside her Dufur seemed to stiffen. She stroked her thumb over the calloused skin of his palm in reassurance.

"I do not deny my actions, I seek only compassion for in that state I too was a victim." Roan pleaded once more. Iridescent tears slipped over his skin, and glistened in the lighting of the cave, and once again Elwyn was struck with how different he tears were now compared to the night of the attack.

"Do you have any memories of anything suspicious before you were discovered in the caves? Any person or event that stands out to you? Perhaps Aluet might know of something." Elwyn suggested, wishing to understand the mystery of what happened. If this attack was not Roan's design, perhaps there was something darker afoot. She would need to get to the bottom of it in order to be prepared.

Roan looked startled that Elwyn would speak to him directly. He nodded at her suggestion and rubbed his hands over his face vigorously while he thought.

"Yes...yes!" He looked up at the elders when he remembered. "I heard song. It was strange, like a cry for help. It wasn't a song from our people--it was garbled and dark." He shook his head. "I don't remember it well. It was loud and disorienting, and the next thing I know I woke up here." Murmurs swept through the room, and several different discussions broke out in Dwarfen and Mermish each. After about a half hour it was determined that each group would bring in the best mage they had to examine Roan. The discussion would reconvene the next day. Roan was put back in his pool in the mountain and the Elders returned to the sea for the night.

Dufur and Elwyn retired to their rooms for the night. Elwyn slumped onto the couch with a sigh, exhausted. Dufur rang the bell and Nalu appeared, he ordered dinner and asked they not be disturbed for the rest of the evening. He came over and sat beside her.

"Let me ease your muscles, my love." He said softly. "Standing all day must have made you stiff." She offered no resistance as he took one thigh into his rough hands and began to massage it gently. "You were incredibly brave today, dearest jewel." Dufur told her "Having to relive that night must have been very painful, especially among strangers. I am so proud."

They were left with more questions than answers by the end of the hearing, each person in attendance seemed to regard one another with a sense of morbid curiosity. All those present were an active part in discovering if a merman should keep his voice, such an event was not taken lightly. Elwyn was grateful for the reprieve from the proceedings when the king dismissed them once sharing their plan to move forward. She was so tired from it all that she turned away from the merfolk who dipped back beneath the luminous water without watching in rapt fascination. It was not often she was privy to the sight of such magic but she couldn't even enjoy it in the moment.

Back in their rooms, Dufur eagerly set to work on seeing to her comfort and Elwyn was helpless to his gentle fingers that knew exactly where to knead and press. She leaned back against the armchair of the couch they were strewn over and closed her eyes. She groaned a little when he spoke his praises to her and opened one eye to regard him.

"Is it wrong to wish that this was more black and white than it is? All these layers of grey have me unsure of our path forward." Elwyn sighed heavily, and let her eyes close again. The warm glow of the crystals in their room cast a soft yellow light over her eyelids. "It's as if we put the wrong person on trial here today. The Roan in the lagoon caves was not the Roan who did this." Elwyn tilted her neck a little and revealed the pale purple bruise that still marred her neck. It had been terribly hard to sleep with the injury for the first few days but thanks to Grandmother Nalu's care she was well on the mend.

There was a long pause as Elwyn's thoughts curled around themselves, all the while Dufur switched his ministrations to the next leg. "Are you prepared for what you must do Dufur?" The question came out quieter than her previous statements. It was almost as if she feared asking the question but feared not knowing the answer as well.

His poor wife was suffering so much. Dufur had wished for her life under the mountain to be naught but peace and comfort. Seeing her so troubled had his own heart twisting inside his chest. Dinner arrived just after she posed her last question, and Dufur began to work on the taught muscles of her other leg as he thought.

"It is hardly wrong to wish for a simple conclusion to this mess." He reasoned. "I agree, Roan seems too different from what you and I saw. It is very strange. Hopefully the mages can shed more light upon it tomorrow." He helped her sit up gently and served her a full plate of warm food. After making sure she was eating, he took a few bites himself before he continued. "Yes, my dearest jewel. I am ready for the ceremony after the trial. It is something all Dwarfs are prepared for in our youth." Dufur placed one hand on her shoulder and gave a small squeeze. "I hope you are not still trying to blame yourself?" He avoided his gaze tactfully as she ate. He gave a deep sigh and finished off his plate before kneeling before her. "Look at me, precious one." It took several moments, but finally she did. "It was my error, not yours. There is no fault here that is your own. Please, believe my words." Elwyn gave him a small, reluctant smile.

After finishing their meal, Dufur helped her into a warm bath. He rinsed off in the small waterfall beside the tub and wrapped himself in his robe before tending to her. He washed her hair, being careful not to tug on the feathers. After the bath he helped her apply the many creams and moisturizers that sat on the vanity in little crystalline bottles. Afterward, they crawled into bed together and Dufur held his wife close to his naked chest.

"Soon, this will be over, my love." He soothed, running his hand along her spine. "And you can spend your days showing me that wonderful collection of yours."

"Do they also prepare you for fretful wives?" Elwyn's smile appeared as her husband reached out to squeeze her shoulder. "For you are quite skilled at easing my mind." Elwyn lifted her gaze to Dufur and he requested and despite how wrong it felt she forced herself to nod at his statement. It seemed to give Dufur a sense of purpose to see to her every facet of wellbeing and Elwyn found she could not complain in the least. Not when his skilled hands soothed away the tension while they bathed and brushed her mixture of creams and lotions over the pale skin of her face.

Once they were nestled in bed under the warm sheets Elwyn let her eyes close as she rested her head on his strong shoulder. She loved the feel of his hand moving over her spine, and she took a moment to feel as his fingers brushed along each bump and crease. When Dufur spoke of her collection it hit her suddenly she had not done a single thing with the room he'd so kindly put together for her. All of her goodies remained packed away in boxes. It pleased her to no end that Dufur had an interest in her treasures. She sat up, her hand pressed against his chest as she looked at him. Her short hair was fluffed around her head and a single feather stood up at an odd angle, but she smile she sent his way was radiant.

"I have a great number of precious stones in my collection, but some I've been unable to identify. Perhaps you might be able to help me?" She questioned. At Dufur's chuckle she shifted back into position and smiled happily at the thought of his help. She found rest in his arms, the deep of sleep pulling her in the dark abyss of dreams.

Tendrils of algae whispered around her form, and Elwyn felt the cool brush of water slide over her skin. She knew when she opened her eyes the ocean would greet her. A soft bark had her twisting around in the water, to spot the form of a grey seal pup. It's dark eyes searched hers before she felt the creature nestle in the comforting embrace of her arms.

The night passed peacefully, and after the morning meal court had resumed session. The king brought along a woman with long white hair and beard, who moved as if she was ancient. Loathe was her name, She was the high priest in the blue sage's temple and the eldest dwarf still living. The merpeople brought a young man, whose skin was a bright turquoise color and had very large colorful fins. Loathe was first--with a low murmur her boots were enchanted before them, and she walked across the water to Roan.

Her examination took about a half hour, during which she used Runes, spells and herbs to preform different tests upon the prisoner. The young made followed soon after, and he took a small vial of blood from Roan, before pressing their foreheads together tightly. He sang a soft, sad song as both men glowed--their skin illuminated from within. The song itself was only twenty minutes, but his tests upon the blood sample brought his total time up to an hour. Once he was finished, the mages began to announce their findings.

"There is an outside magic in his blood." The young mage said. "It is too diluted now for me to make any hard conclusions, though. I also searched his memory and confirmed it was as he said. His time within the mountain is distorted, as if looking through a mirror." The crowd began to speak, but with Loathe's hand up, they fell silent again immediately.

"The boy is correct. The merman's actions were not his own" She sighed and brought out a fistful of runes, which began to glow and circle her palm. "He has been invaded through an old spell--from before the humans used artifacts to wield magic. It has been too many days since to determine the exact components. I could not find trace of the caster." Both councils erupted into chaos. After an hour of solid arguments amongst themselves, the merpeople spoke.

"It was the princess who was harmed by his actions--whether or not they were his own is inconsequential. In light of this new evidence, what would you have us do?" The whole room turned to Elwyn, waiting.

The news that their suspicions were true had Elwyn's shoulders slumping a little. Dufur had remained at her side during the crowds boisterous debates. Elwyn did her best to understand where each person was coming from but with everyone speaking over each other she found she was getting facts confused and new the end of the hour she'd been completely overwhelmed. The council of merfolk called for attention and then pointed it all to her.

Immediately Dufur steadied his wife, placing a gentle hand on the side of her hip, giving her an anchor. Elwyn regarded all those in the room with dark thoughtful eyes before they landed on Roan. He remained near the water, his tail swishing in the water as he awaited his fate. Deciding that it would be best to speak to Roan directly, Elwyn stepped forward. Dufur was with her every step of the way, making good on his oath that no harm should come near her again. The room seemed to understand her intention and Roan was brought directly in front of her, with two merfolk on either side of him.

"I'm so sorry..." Roan's gaze was downcast and mournful. From his stance it seemed as if he knew his fate had been sealed.

"If I may speak candidly to the whole room? I find it helps me to speak aloud." Elwyn glanced around looking for permission from those present. If anything the Merfolk Elders seemed pleased with notion and they nodded.

"Enlighten us Princess Mother." One of the men in the Dwarven council gestured that she begin and Elwyn did just that.

"This decision does not come lightly, there are many factors that must be considered. For example, our people do not wish to harm relations or trade with you, however in my time here I've learned that honour is held in high regard, like my brethren value knowledge. Therefore penance must be paid." Elwyn kept her eyes on Roan and slowly the man lifted his head, at the words 'penance' he nodded his head once again dipping in shame.

"Certainly you seem backed into quite the corner." One of the Elders said from the Merfolk, there was a wry smile over his features that Elwyn couldn't help but return.

"Indeed. I wish to make it clear that I am trying to find the best possible solution for everyone. I wish everyone to leave this cave today feeling heard and respected. Even you Roan." Elwyn paused, trying to find the right words. "It seems to me that you are being tried for the wrong crime. Whoever spelled away your freewill should stand trial for my attack, your crime this day Roan is your carelessness. You allowed yourself to fall prey and subsequently became a puppet for a darker purpose. I do not think that your transgression should leave you without a voice, is there another form of punishment that seems more fitting for the crime?" Elwyn asked, looking around to the Elders.

"If I may?" One spoke up and Elwyn gestured that the floor was theirs. "It is my understanding that the prince will be sending a penance to your father. Perhaps Roan might do the same? A fin is would do." Elwyn considered, the small nod of her head telling the room she liked the idea. With wide eyes she looked to Dufur and Dufun, curious if this would suffice.

The king and prince nodded at her questioning look. Elwyn returned to Dufur and squeezed his hand tightly as the merfolk called for a blade.

"You do not have to look, precious one." He said gently. She gave a small shake of her head, determinedly looking forward as the dagger was presented form someone in the crowd.

"No. I must watch." She replied, despite the slight tremble in her voice. The act itself was quick enough--one clean, sharp slice from Roan himself to the delicate fin that sat on the outside of his hip. Shimmering purple blood bled into the water, and the fin was taken from him as he curled inward in pain. One of the elders presented the fin and dagger to a guard, who wrapped it carefully in a cloth.

"We will take our leave now, if that suits you." One of the elders said. Dufun gave a deep bow, the rest of the room following suit.

"Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter, exulted elders. We hope that our next trade will go smoothly as always, and that you return to your clan safely." The merfolk bowed back, and returned to the sea in a flash of light. The room began to empty as the water dimmed, and Dufur helped Elwyn to an empty sitting room. She was pale at the sight of blood. Kyrie and Nalu were attending to her immediately.

"You were brave again today, my love." Dufur told her, gently placing one hand on her thigh. She gave him a weak smile in response, gingerly sipping on the tea she was given. A half hour passed, once she had calmed Kyrie and Nalu began to dress her for the next ceremony. It was a black dress with many sheer layers and intricate gold detailing. A long sheer veil was pinned to her head, and the crown Dufur had made her for their joining was placed on top. Dufur got ready alone, but wore a matching outfit to her. She was pale again when she rentered, and Dufur gave her a worried look. "You do not have to come if it will hurt you, Elwyn."

Truly Elwyn was a sheltered elf indeed. This truth became apparent as those in the room barely batted an eye as blade cut through membrane and bone. She knew it wouldn't do to look away, and so Elwyn watched in slow motion as Roan curled in on himself, doing his best to keep any audible sounds of pain from echoing through the cave walls. She could barely remember any of the conversation after that. Dufur kindly led her out of the caves and away from the water that was stained purple with penance.

Had Elwyn's wits been about her she would have asked for Kyrie and Nalu to give her a moments peace to herself, but the reality of what was to come next weighed heavily. She was quiet as she drank the tea provided and obligingly stepped into the intricate black dress Nalu held open for her. Her movements were as mechanical as the machines that worked in the forges, and when she returned to their rooms Dufur approached her, worry clear in every line of his face. Her husband approached her, lifting a hand to grasp at her upper arm with a comforting grip.

"We got into this mess together, we shall leave it together." Elwyn's first words came out as a croak, but as she spoke her voice grew a bit stronger. "It is important to me that you don't feel alone either." Elwyn's lips pursed as she considered. "Were I in your position, I would find it easier to move forward with you next to me." A small knock sounded from behind them, and they turned to see Nalu in the doorway.

"They are ready for you both." Nalu's tone was somber, there was concern there in her eyes as she looked to Dufur and then Elwyn. "You do not have to go Princess Mother."

"I must go." Elwyn straightened, her shoulders pulling back to be as straight as the finest sword. Mustering all the grace and poise that she could, Elwyn walked alongside Dufur, her head held proudly high.

The couple was walked out onto the bridge between the inner and outer cities. Four guards surrounded them--two in front and two behind. Homborimm was gathered below them again as they had been on the day Elwyn arrived. Instead of cheers and cofetti, the air was tense and silent. The guards stationed themselves at either end of the bridge, their weapons held in a stiff salute. Dufun came out the castle gates shortly after, the advisors behind him, and a healer and priest behind them. The king solemnly looked around at his people, and put his hand on his chest as he began to speak.

"My dear people, we gather here for the unfortunate task of bearing witness." He sighed, and it reverberated through the mountain as it bounced off the stone. "Your prince has broken the first and most sacred tenant of the joining. He must make reparations to restore the honor of himself and the queen mother. Look to him as an example, so you never repeat his mistakes." Looking behind him, he gave a short nod. Gleendr approached the couple with a small wooden stool and a viciously gleaming axe. Nalu wordlessly pulled Elwyn back a few feet. Dufur took the weapon and ran his hands lovingly over the filigreed blades.

"To think this is what's become of us, my old friend." He murmured. Once the stool was placed, Dufur hauled his left leg up onto it and took a moment to steady himself. Closing his eyes, Dufur summoned images of battle. The shortness of breath, the cries of warriors and foes alike. He remembered the smell of blood soaked soil and the sulfur of cannon fire. Dufur opened his eyes as he raised the axe, imagining cutting down an enemy as it swung. There was a sickening thud as the blade sliced through bone and muscle, then fell with a clatter to the cobblestones of the bridge. Nalu, in her kindness, tugged urgenly on the hem of Elwyn's dress just before the moment of impact. She did not have to witness the scene, but saw the blood rushing down to the stones and the strangled cry of her husband as he collapsed. Nalu held Elwyn's gaze steadily.

"Do not look, dear jewel." She warned "This is not something you will want to remember." She could see Elwyn struggle to follow her words. Soon enough, Dufur and the severed limb were whisked away by the healer and priest to the infirmary. Dufun gestured for Elwyn to join him on the edge of the bridge. She did so, she he held her hand tightly as he addressed the crowd again.

"Honor has been restored. All may return to how it was." The crowds gave a short cheer, though it sounded listless. Dufun presented Elwyn with the bloody axe, and the crowds cheered again upon her acceptance of it. The royals returned inside, and Elwyn collapsed into a chair once they were back in the couple's chambers.

"It will likely take until tomorrow for the prince to be fully healed and stabilized, princess mother." Nalu said quietly, taking the weapon from her. "What can I do for you?"

Twice now, Elwyn ears filled with the sounds of an appendage lost. Nalu's hold on her kept her anchored to the moment, and Elwyn stared deeply into the flame like eyes of her lady's maid. There was strength there in Nalu's eyes it was what kept her from straying, from looking over to see Dufur slumped over in pain as the blood pooled around the wooden stool. The blood rushed down the stones of the bridge and Elwyn could see it's journey from the corner of her eye.

Dufun in his kindness spoke to the people, his warm hand engulfing hers. Together they looked out over the sea of faces in the outer city. Dufun gave Elwyn a soft squeeze of his hand before presenting her with the axe Dufur had used. It was heavy in her hands, though she did her best to show no surprise over the weight of the object. Both of the dwarven men had handled the weapon with ease. With the crowds cheer, Elwyn was led away and back to their chambers.

Elwyn sank into a chair and after a bit of gently prying Nalu released the weapon from her hands and asked her question. Elwyn took a moment to consider before once again standing.

"If you wouldn't mind helping me out of this?" Nalu nodded, already moving forward to help before Elwyn had finished her question.

"You were very strong today." Nalu spoke softly as she worked to unlace the back of the dress. Her clever fingers worked quickly, releasing Elwyn from her garments.

"I do not think so..." Elwyn scoffed a little.

"There are many different forms of strength Jewel. I see strength of mind in you." Nalu chided gently. "Do not think strength only amounts to those great lugs that can swing an axe." Elwyn stepped free from her clothes, now only wearing a thin chemise, when the elf turned around Nalu was there to gently clasp her hands together. "All we can do now is hold our heads high and move forward."

Elwyn smiled at the kindly woman and Nalu returned the gesture, her beard lifting in hope. "You're right. It is time to move forward." Her gaze turned to the set of rooms that had been set aside for her treasures. In an effort to keep herself busy while healers worked on Dufur Elwyn got to work prying open boxes and rediscovering all the little items that had brought her so much joy in the past. Shelves were stacked with all manner of crystals and rock forms. Preserves of flowers and leaves were pressed between two sheets of glass and Elwyn took the time to ensure the labels she'd painstakingly made for them were correct. Nalu stoked the fire in their rooms and kept her fed and watered as the night progressed.

Elwyn was prying open another box when Nalu announced she was heading to bed. After wishing her a good night Elwyn opened the box to reveal a number of bound books she'd brought with her. At the top of the pile, a well loved book detailing the adventures of a young gnome caught Elwyn's attention. With a smile she picked it up, her fingers resting over the broken spine. It had been her favourite story as when she'd been newly born. She wondered if Dufur would like such a tale, and decided she would see. Leaving her collection rooms Elwyn pulled on her robe, tying it tight around her slim waist. With the book under her arm she wandered out to the halls, once again forgetting to put on her shoes before she left.

She found Dufur in a wing of Homborimm that was dedicated to healers, a great number of said healers stood clustered around a door, talking in love voices. Elwyn approached, and when they caught sight of her all of them bowed deeply.

"Is he alright?" Elwyn asked.

"Yes Princess Mother. It was a clean cut, the bone did not splinter so it was quite easy to heal. He rests now." One of them answered.

"May I sit with him for a bit?" Elwyn asked.

"Of course."

With a grateful smile Elwyn stepped past the group and into the room where Dufur lay. His eyes were closed and she took a moment to admire the stubborn set of his jaw as he rested. As quietly as she could, Elwyn pulled a plush chair towards the side of his bed and sank down into it. From here she could reach out and brush away a stray lock of hair from his face with ease. His breathing was deep and even, and though she was sure he couldn't hear her Elwyn opened her treasured book and quietly began to read aloud.

Dufur peeled his eyes open blearily to the sound of his wife's voice. The silvery, mellow tones were quite pleasant to wake to. With a soft groan Dufur started to sit up, though Elwyn was quick to aid him. Once he was settled, Dufur waved away the healers who had begun to bustle forward. With reluctant bows, they retreated again and he finally looked to Elwyn. She looked tired, but not unhappy. A gentle smile on her lips even now, with concern wrinkling her delicate brow. Dufur extended his hand to her, and he took it immediately. Smiling, he raised her knuckles up to his lips for a kiss.

"Good morning, my precious one. Forgive me for depriving you of a night's rest." Elwyn shook her head vigorously. Dufur spotted the book on her lap and gave her a curious look. "What is this? A tale?" The blush blooming on her cheeks told him he was correct. "You are too sweet, Elwyn. Though I'm afraid I'll need to trouble you to restart it for me. I was asleep quite deeply. Come, let us move back to our chambers and I can hear you properly this time." And they did so, all that day the couple spent together. After Elwyn read him the little book, she spoke of how she was organizing the room he prepared for her. It was a wonderfully quiet and peaceful day in the wake of such turbulence.

The next two months were rough, but not entirely unpleasant. Elwyn supported Dufur through his healing process--woke with him at night when the phantom pains struck. She was there for every meeting of the masters as they worked to craft a new leg for the prince. Carving the new limb out of stone and enchanting it was tried, but even with magic the leg was too heavy. They would have to fabricate it from scratch, and work twice as hard to differentiate the craftsmanship from the ugly wrought iron that the humans used. Dufur despaired at this--he loathed having anything that could be mistaken as human work attached to his body so intimately.

They had not been together since before the ceremony. Any time Dufur tried to initiate, Elwyn would pull away with some excuse. He knew she was just worried, but he already felt like a failure and now he felt miserably emasculated. But how could his wife bare to touch him now? It was not as if he did not understand. Not only had he broken her trust, but he was impaired, too. What princess would want him? That night he was awoken again by the phantom pain. Shooting through his leg like lightning, agonizing nerves that were no longer there. Quietly, so not to wake his wife for the fourth night in a row, Dufur snuck out of bed and hopped over to one of the chairs before the hearth. His head fell back as his hands grabbed at the stump, vainly trying to massage the pricking, burning sensation away.

"<What a misrible man I am.>" Dufur scoffed at himself in his mother tongue. "<How will you fare as a prince if you fail so badly as a husband? Ah... great sage, pity this poor fool.>"

In the two months that had passed since the incident Elwyn threw herself into her work. Her mind remained fixated on becoming the Princess Mother her people deserved. She spent long hours with her husband as they worked to heal and craft a new leg. The process was far more complicated than she had anticipated and she'd begun to take notes at each of the meetings in an effort to retain all the new information she was learning.

At night when Dufur woke with pain searing through his limb she rose with him, murmuring soft words of encouragement and sympathy as the pain wrecked through his limb. She'd warm water near the fire and create a warm compress with towels to wrap around the limb. Elwyn had managed to find a few special tea's from her stash and with the help of a few of the gardeners she'd added plants to help with pain. When finally the pain seemed to be at it's least she would settle on the ground next to him and read from one of her many books.

On top of the time spent with with Dufur Elwyn had also begun training. During the first week of Dufur's healing Elwyn had escaped to the library while Dufur slept. She'd padded barefoot through the shelves of books, pulling down tomes that detailed fighting methods and defensive techniques. One such book had helpful diagrams that detailed proper form and after much studying Elwyn had taken her book over to the armory.

When she entered the room she quickly picked up her weapon of choice and settled the book upright on a rack so she could peer at it while she got into position. She was so focused on her task she failed to notice the Dwarf who'd entered the room.

"Well now, what are you hoping to fight with a stance like that? A wee pup?" Elwyn gasped in surprise at the observation and spun on her heel. In her haste to face the newcomer her grip loosened on the blade and it clattered to the ground near her feat making her jump. The dwarf in question raised a dark brow and folded strong arms over her even stronger looking chest. "Princess mother, that has to be the worst stance I've ever seen in my life." Elwyn hung her head in shame, at the words but found herself nodding in agreement.

The dwarf stepped into the room, picking up the weapon and giving it a quick little flourish before setting it on its rightful place on the rack. There was a moment where Elwyn worried she might be scolded once more, but instead she watched as the dwarf approached another rack and pulled what looked to be a carved wooden sword from it's place. The practice weapon was thrust towards her and Elwyn jumped a little in her effort to grab the weapon.

"Your grip needs work, a weapon should not be so easily taken." The dwarf told her in no nonsense terms and Elwyn was part way through nodding when suddenly the sword was wrenched from her grasp. "Tsk. Try again."

And that was how Elwyn met the young Lieutenant Gaia. They met as often as their duties allowed, near the armory in an empty storage room, and over the two months Elwyn slowly began to build muscle. She'd not graduated to actual blades yet but Gaia assured her after a particularly hard training session she was close. Elwyn had returned to their rooms thoroughly exhausted, she threw herself into bed and with Dufur's warmth radiating at her side she drifted off into a deep sleep.

Perhaps her exhaustion was the reason she didn't immediately wake when Dufur's limb once again brought him out of his sleep. What did wake her however were his gruff words to himself minutes later as he tried to ride out the pain. Though her Dwarvish was getting better Elwyn didn't understand the harsh words uttered as Dufur clung to his limb in pain. Sleep had Elwyn's vision a little blurry as she pushed up to a sitting position on the bed, her limbs protesting the movement with a dull ache. Her own pain was forgotten when Dufur hissed out a breath.

"Dufur!" Elwyn quickly rose from the bed, padding over the lush rug and over to the fireplace where he sat. She followed routine, grabbing a pillow to place under his severed limb and worked on getting the hot compress ready. "You should have woken me!" Elwyn scolded as she busied herself over the pot. Minutes later the pain was residing as heat compressed around his stump, and warm tea washed away the pain.

"There must be something else we can do for the pain." Elwyn muttered to herself, her brows drown down in a V over her concerned eyes. "I do not like seeing you like this."

His wife rose soon after he, and scolded him as she fell into the routine she had built to ease the pain. Her eyes were bright as she concentrated on her task, muttering concerns. Dufur sighed as the burning began to cease. The feeling of his missing leg stopped slowly, the nerves registering that only a stump remained.

"You need rest, precious one." He replied with a soft sigh. "Even in my sorry state I have noticed your fatigue. You have worked harder than anyone these past months, I can't tell you how grateful I am." He placed the cup he held on the table and reached out, gently caressing her soft hair. It had grown some, now just past her chin. Elywn looked up, worry clear upon her elegant face. "I hate to see you so disturbed on my account." Elwyn held his hand against her cheek with her own, her eyes closing briefly. "I have another visit with the healers tomorrow. But they say it is just something my body will adjust to. After all, it is not like I am ill enough to need dragon blood or anything so drastic." He gave her a weak smile, though it quickly turned sour. "Forgive me for not being suitable enough for you. I cannot even do my duties as your husband anymore." Dufur averted his gaze.

The soft pop and crackle of the dying fire was the only sound to fill the room for some time. Dufur could not bring himself to look at her, instead reached over to grab the poker and stoked the coals until the flames revived. In the new light, Elwyn's lithe face was cast into shadows, but no less beautiful. Dufur ran his knuckles down her cheek and muttered to himself. "<I wanted to give you the very earth beneath our feet and all the treasures it holds. Yet I cannot even give you peace of mind.>"

Last edited:
The soft caress of his palm against the skin of her cheek was a welcome sensation. It had been a two long months with few lingering touches and stolen moments. Elwyn had to admit she'd been the one to deescalate those times, as the pain coursing through her husband brought pause to her fantasies. When she closed her eyes visions of their heated embrace pressed to the back of a door filled her mind, sending delicious tingles down her spine. Her lids felt heavy as she opened them, but the look over Dufur's face was like a bucket of cold water over her foolish desires.

His smile felt forced and no longer reminded her of the precious gems the dwarfs pulled from their mines. Even now his words seemed so dull, and Elwyn worried she was not caring enough for the man who'd done so much for her. Her palm crept up, finding his forearm and squeezing her fingers around the muscle there, her mind scrambled to find something to ease his worries but when it seemed she'd stayed silent too long Dufur averted his gaze and Elwyn worried her bottom lip with her teeth.

It was a long while before the silence was broken between them once again, Dufur spoke in his native tongue and Elwyn leaned into the soft touch as his knuckles trailed down the soft slope of her cheek. She could feel the callouses from long days in the forge and somehow those rough patches of skin were so comforting. She struggled to translate as best as she could but only a few words jumped out at her.

"Forgive me, I do not understand husband." In an effort to feel closer to him, Elwyn dragged over a small stool and placed herself right next to Dufur. She couldn't help but reaching over to rest a steady hand over his chest where his strong heart thrummed under her fingers. "You speak as if you have failed me, and yet I cannot find a single fault in you." The words finally came pouring out, as her mind finally found the correct way to voice her feelings. "To be by your side as you heal and we move forward brings me a great sense of honour and purpose and I wonder if perhaps you have lost sight of the person you once were." Her eyes jumped down to the leg that he'd cleaved in two. "This changes nothing for me. I am still wholly and utterly yours Dufur."

Elywn did her best to assure him that their bond remained intact. Her words were so sweet and sure, but still Dufur felt pained. "You are wonderful, my love." He replied. "Please, I beg you to forgive me. May I be selfish tonight?" She nodded, worry creasing her brow again. At her affirmative, Dufur placed his hands on her hips and in one motion hauled her onto his lap. The soft fabric of her nightgown moved up her thighs as her legs settled on either side of his hips. He moved his hands to just below her hips, anchoring her there and digging his fingers into her soft skin.

Dufur kissed her chest through the thin silk, and when his wife gasped, a low growl escaped him. One hand ran up her spine and gripped the nape of her neck. He kissed up her collarbone and shoulder, scraping his teeth along her neck and giving the tendons a soft bite. Elwyn let out a loud moan, and quickly flushed her hands flying to her mouth. "Don't, precious one," Dufur pleaded, his voice deep with desire. "Please. I must hear you. I must feel you. I must know I can still do this at the very least." Elwyn let her hands drop, to his shoulders and leaned forward to kiss him. The kiss was passionate, pent up feelings overflowing from both. When he could not stand it, Dufur hooked one arm under Elwyn's legs and stood, using his other arm to hold onto the furniture as he moved them to the bed. He dropped her unceremoniously onto the sheets.

"My wife," He groaned, desperate with desire. "My little bird--mot kark--may I?" Even through his haze, Dufur needed her permission. His hands gripped her knees as he stood over her, waiting as his eyes burned.

He was ravenous, with his rough fingers that held tight to her legs keeping her anchored to his lap. Elwyn's eyes slipped closed as she lost herself in his touch and the way his clever mouth brought her closer and closer to the edge of pleasure. Instinctively her hips circled, seeking the bliss she knew he was so capable of giving. The scrape of his teeth through the fabric of her gown had Elwyn rushing back to earth with a gasp of surprise and a moan that seemed to reverberate from deep inside of her. Hot embarrassment flushed through her, forcing her hand up to her mouth as her moan seemed to echo in the halls of their room.

At Dufur's pleading she found herself helpless, how could she not give him everything he asked for when he peered up at her with such an earnest expression. She did not know how long they kissed, only that she loved every touch of his lips and tongue against hers. She barely registered as he made his way with her to the bed, his gaze was like a brand over her heart and when his hands gripped tightly to her knees with barely tethered passion she gave herself completely to him, nodding her assent before he bent his head and drew out every ounce of ecstasy possible.

Much later the two lay in the warm waters of their drawn bath, Elwyn had surprised Dufur by taking her place behind him, which at first he protested but when she leaned him back and his head rested against the soft cushion of her chest he relented and sank into her embrace. Elwyn hummed a soft tune as he let his hair free from it's knot at the back of his head and ran her fingers through it, gently removing any tangles she came across.

"You've such lovely hair." She murmured. Dufur's dark hair shone in the candle light around them, and Elwyn leaned forward to press her cheek against his temple. They were quiet a long while, enjoying the silence in their company as the waters cooled around their bodies. When they finally decided to return to bed Elwyn did her best to let Dufur do most of his own toweling down though she had to admit her fingers itched to run the cloth over his body.

When they were settled in bed once more Elwyn snuggled closer to her husband, her eyelids heavy with their exertions. Her muscles still ached from her training and seemed to renew in the aftermath of their lovemaking but truly she'd never felt more content. It was starting to feel as if she had finally found her stride.

"I must admit, I am looking forward to our outing tomorrow. It's been a while since I left these walls." Elwyn confessed, sleep heavy in her voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back