• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Nature of Ice

Through the cafeteria windows the early light of dawn shone it‘s bright orange glow over the dark landscape of OceanSide. Guards yawned, served the same mysterious goo with cut vegetables and drink.
Glacier‘s plate is set onto the wooden table next to her other fellow guards. Stabbing the food and feeding it into her maw her colleges she’s trained with laughed, joked, and threw harmless insults at each other. Glacier downed her drink of bitter water, right before being hit with another type of liquid from the goo. The sudden splash dunked the water onto her muzzle. A large ball used for sports has landed right in her food.

”Sorry!”

Someone yelled across the cafeteria
’aaaand I lost my appetite…’

Glacier pushed out her seat and walked out.
The hallway is filled with awoken dragons heading in and out the cafeteria. Further down, the hallway was packed tightly filled with the juvenile murmurs of guards the fuss being about the ongoing war. Now Glacier would love to join, her duty for now was being a guard and being a guard it was about time she met up with SnapJaw.

His door wasn’t far, the time to get through the crowds gawking at the poster made it longer she knocked professionally onto the door of his office.
“Sergeant Snapjaw, it’s me Glacier. You got a moment?”

On the other side of the spartan office door and over the din could be heard the slow drawing and closing of a wooden drawer, then a voice old and crackling seconds later. "Glacier, eh? Please, come in. I've a few moments before I head out and join the ranks, hm hm hm!"

Once Glacier opened the door, she would find the office with a lamp with an old-fashioned shade over a desk, its warm light casting lengthy shadows over the room from the low-hanging flags suspended from the ceiling. The remainder of the room's furniture, besides the desk and two chairs at the centre, was tightly confined to the walls and made of muted colours which Snapjaw had long drawled he took a fancy to. Above a pair of wooden drawers, a two military medallions hung from the wall on faded ribbon, past medals of action. The curtains of the far wall's window were still fully drawn closed.

Snapjaw himself was an older dragon, his scales pale and patchy as he looked past the lamp. Decorated in the garb of a guard and an antiquated breastplate, he was a vestige of an older generation of combat and was proud of it. His face, however, went from a smile to a frown.

"What can I do for you, Glacier? Judging from your face, some rascals dabbed food on folks' faces again. Is that it?"

On the other side of the spartan office door and over the din could be heard the slow drawing and closing of a wooden drawer, then a voice old and crackling seconds later. "Glacier, eh? Please, come in. I've a few moments before I head out and join the ranks, hm hm hm!"

Once Glacier opened the door, she would find the office with a lamp with an old-fashioned shade over a desk, its warm light casting lengthy shadows over the room from the low-hanging flags suspended from the ceiling. The remainder of the room's furniture, besides the desk and two chairs at the centre, was tightly confined to the walls and made of muted colours which Snapjaw had long drawled he took a fancy to. Above a pair of wooden drawers, a two military medallions hung from the wall on faded ribbon, past medals of action. The curtains of the far wall's window were still fully drawn closed.

Snapjaw himself was an older dragon, his scales pale and patchy as he looked past the lamp. Decorated in the garb of a guard and an antiquated breastplate, he was a vestige of an older generation of combat and was proud of it. His face, however, went from a smile to a frown.

"What can I do for you, Glacier? Judging from your face, some rascals dabbed food on folks' faces again. Is that it?"
Glacier sighed, in her rush to meet him she forgot to clean up.
”Yes sir. You keep telling me to interact with other guards, it’s just so difficult. They’re not like me, all they do is joke and laze around. I have better things to do. I feel so useless without being out towards the front lines.“

She ranted.
She scanned along the busy wall of decor. The medals she spotted stared a blurry reflection of herself. Glacier loved glancing at them, for these medals were a high honor. She ran her claws gently near them then felt her own guard garb to imagine them on her.
”How did you preserve? You got these medals of your accomplishments in battle. You trained for years yet, you don’t feel lonely. How do you deal with that?“
She asked sitting down in one of the chairs with her head in her palms.

”Do you have any friends Snapjaw?”

Last edited:
Snapjaw listened patiently, solemn eyes following her as she moved over to the wall. In time he approached as well, looking into the medals that arrested her attention, and even as she moved away he remained with a fixated stare on them.

"Age and experience has a way of pickling one's soul into a fixed alignment," he stated, giving a smile towards her. "Since my wife's passing, I am married to my work, and friends are regular acquaintances. I am not invincible to loneliness, but good people, good students, and those you respect? They help."

He turned in full, brushing a mote of dust off of his sleeve and resetting his jaw.

"As for your other question, young one, sometimes the child does not leave the adult, and sometimes responsibility enters a child early. 'They,' as we can refer the others genteelly, are still childish because of their youth. While I scold and castigate, it is good to recognise that we turn into good soldiers with discipline, correction, and wisdom. These will come in time." His smile dropped and eyes flashed. "But laziness can be corrected immediately. If I see one with unwarranted laziness, he'll have to drop and give me twenty.

He laughed before once again growing morose.

"I feel I know what you are talking about, though. You want out of guard duty, is that it? You're not going to find what you're looking for on the battlefield, y'know. You need to find friends. If your fellow guards do not make the initial cut, try to loosen your standards or search elsewhere. Maybe then you'll find a better purpose here."

Last edited:
Snapjaw listened patiently, solemn eyes following her as she moved over to the wall. In time he approached as well, looking into the medals that arrested her attention, and even as she moved away he stood there with a fixated stare on them himself.

"Age and experience has a way of pickling one's soul into a fixed alignment," he stated, giving a smile towards her. "Since my wife's passing, I am married to my work, and friends are regular acquaintances. I am not invincible to loneliness, but good people, good students, and those you respect? They help."

He turned in full, brushing a mote of dust off of his sleeve and resetting his jaw.

"As for your other question, young one, sometimes the child does not leave the adult, and sometimes responsibility enters a child early. 'They,' as we can refer the others genteelly, are still childish because of their youth. While I scold and castigate, it is good to recognise that we turn into good soldiers with discipline, correction, and wisdom. These will come in time." His smile dropped and eyes flashed. "But laziness can be corrected immediately. If I see one with unwarranted laziness, he'll have to drop and give me twenty.

He laughed before once again growing morose.

"I feel I know what you are talking about, though. You want out of guard duty, is that it? You're not going to find what you're looking for on the battlefield, y'know. You need to find friends. If your fellow guards do not make the initial cut, try to loosen your standards or search elsewhere. Maybe then you'll find a better purpose here."
“Thanks Snapjaw, but, I don’t know where to start. Ever since you’ve taken me under your wing the only friend I’ve known is you.“
She glanced up at Snapjaw from her position in the seat. The part of Snapjaw’s speech about him ordering a poor sap to do twenty push-ups made her chuckle.

”Thanks again.”

Her eyes caught onto the clock they went wide seeing the time.
”This has been a nice chat but I need to head out.”

She backed towards the door opening it with a hand behind her back.
”I’ll keep you updated.”

The door shuts, leaving Snapjaw alone in his office once again.

Glacier marched with her usual obedient stride. Their sergeant overwatched the daily drills. First was weapons training, easy enough, Glacier launched a spear at a dummy filled with hay.
Next it’s usually laps around the yard, 50 to be exact. During the entire time she eyed guards training beside her, none interesting to her.
Out in the workout yard guards of all shapes and sizes exercised she stayed secluded, lifting weights or doing pull ups.

”At least do one Pincer!”

During a pull up beside her a small group of dragons spectated a single guard doing a poor job of doing a pull up. She rolled her eyes, and continued.

“I can’t!”

The dragon named ‘Pincer’ complained, their legs flailing in the air.

Glacier dropped down from her bar.
“Hey! How’d you pass basic training with such pathetic attempts of doing a simple pull up.“

She asked, leaning up against one of the bars next to where the group was.

”You’re pushing to hard if you think you can do pull ups easily without warming up. Before trying that, why don’t your colleges help you lift some weights Eh?”

"My pleasure," Snapjaw replied, looking pleasantly at his understudy and chuckling upon viewing the haste of youth with eyes silvered in age. "I look forward to your report."

The last she would see of him would be his returning to the file cabinets, his attention arrested on the leftmost one and the top drawer pulled before the door closed behind her.

~~ ×× ~~ ×× ~~

Within the crowd, some of the friends of Pincer fidgeted with their hands or cheered him on. The negativity in the air seemed to only grow while Pincer struggled. The tall, burly, protective one named Summers grew agitated and pushed some jeering ones away with light thrusts of arms beaten only in thickness by his skull. Thankfully Glacier stepped in, however, and everyone nearby started to hush.

Pincer dropped like a flag at calm, lanky and without much muscle. By his build he was better suited for scholarly ventures, but he gave his best effort. At least, without warmups. Through the strain of one last try he blinked as if surprised by the idea, or that he did not think about it.

"That's a . . . good idea," he puffed, rubbing his muscles and ignoring the snickers surrounding him. "What do you recommend?"

Summers gave a look of approval toward Glacier and clapped a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"For starters some time on the weight bar would do you good," he answered for Glacier. "Come, over here."

Before Pincer could retort he was hauled away by Summers' mighty hand. The crowd parted for the two, then, murmuring, disseminated.

"Hey," said one of the few remaining, a beaming grin flashed toward her. The low light seemed multitudinous on him as it was reflected off of his many mirror-like scales. "Thanks fer that. I didn't know how to jump in, but that was just what was needed for my cousin." He offered a hand. "Name's Shine, by the way. Seen you 'round, but never met yer aquaintance, I think.

Glacier shot a glare towards the crowd. Giving a grin when their reaction was to shut up. Her attention shifted again to the dragon who drew the crowd she didn’t get a word in when Summers stole her thunder. Glacier nodded in approval letting the two walk off and out of sight. For any guards who stayed she growled.
”What’re you all looking at?! Leave! Unless you wanna do extra drills because I’ll gladly tell the Sergent you wanted it.”

The voice startled her, thinking it was who she threatened to tell about her fellow guards laziness. Glacier sighed in relief seeing another youth, someone who approached her instead the other way around.
”It’s just something that had to be done. Cannot afford any weakness in the guard after all.“

She glanced down to the outstretched claw, and gave it a shake.
”Glacier, a pleasure. Yeah my routine keeps me busy, so much that I don’t have enough time to talk.“

She looked in the direction where Pincer and Summers went.
”How did your cousin decide to join the guard in the first place? He doesn’t seem like the type of dragon fit for this job. Did he follow you?”

Across the yard as Summers and Pincer distanced themselves from the crowd another dragon approached. A youthful dragon built lightweight and soft their scales a darker shade of green.The peculiar characteristic was a flight helmet sitting heavily upon his head with a added panel on the front, the visor was flipped up. Added upon the helmets side was a painted creature it was noticeable when close.
“Whoa, I’m gone for flight training and five minutes later you’re all causing a scene! What happened?”

Joey asked.

Any remaining individuals oozed off at the attention, returning to their chosen activities, except for Shine who was more than happy to remain and shake her hand. Unlike the rest of him, his hands, and feet and some parts of his face were laced with the finest of small scales unlike the mirrored ones pointing out in many angles around the core of his body his body. Exposed scales on his head and neck relaxed from stiff plates to softer ones as he too relaxed. Perhaps the stress of the situation kept him from acting.

"Well," he started, giving a shrug of his shoulders, "I don't want to keep you too long if yer routine's that rigorous, but Pincer's got heart, which's why he signed on. He's not one for exercise, rawboned as he is -- *forgive me, cuz* -- but he's smarter than I'll ever be. Blend might and smarts together and he'll be a force to reckon with, I reckon!"

He looked out on tiptoes to Pincer and Summers, watching the situation unfold for a few seconds with a grin as Joey approached. He changed his attention back to Glacier.

"I s'pose I should letcha go and get to joggin' my laps to digest the cafeteria food before it crawls up my food pipe. Suppose some warmups would be nice for that as well if not for the slop Judah doled us. Nice meetin' ya, Glacesha!"

Shine did not leave for long before he and Glacier were ooh'ed by some listeners followed by kissing noises. The leader of the group of ne'er-do-wells, Hemlock, was ever the troublemaker, but his diligence in keeping fighting fit and junior officer status made him the "teacher's pet" of some high-ranking individuals. Shine bristled at hearing them but did not turn. He did not want to give them the satisfaction.

On the other side of the yard, Pincer raked his hand over his own face. Of course Joey had to try and bail him out. While grateful, he hated being the friend in distress, and he fidgeted with the collar of his guard garb as if it were too tight. It was not.

"Oh, it was nothing. You know me: ever the scrappy fighter," he replied dryly. Summers laughed to his right, but Pincer merely locked his shoulders and continued, "The situation is under control. The indigo lass made sure of that. I'm heading over to do some of these 'warm-ups.' "

Glacier had her maw open ready to say something as Shine walked off.
“Yeah you do that, good luck.”
She facepalmed, that was awkward. It was much more awkward when she heard the mocking and kissing noises. She did an about face to turn quickly.
“Hemlock, shouldn’t you know by now you don’t have the time for childish pranks?”

Glacier‘s voice was slightly muffled from her teeth being clenched.
”Or you’re here to rub my loss in my face when you beat me in a challenge…if that’s the case I wanna rematch!”

She says, each word spoken her distance between her and Hemlock got shorter. The last yelled sentence was yelled in Hemlock’s face.
To add insult to injury she flicked his nose with her claw..

Joey followed Pincer’s gaze to the indigo dragon supposedly confronting Hemlock. He lowered to Pincer’s level and punched his shoulder.
“She looks tough maybe her advice will do you some good. Maybe you’ll even impress her.”

He and the others laughed jokingly. They began rough housing pushing at each other and putting their friends in head locks while rubbing the top of their heads.

Shine approached them and his gaze turned to him dropping the roughhousing.
”So, how’d it go?”

The corners of Hemlock's mouth fell slightly, her brazen confrontation surprising to him. She even stormed up to his face and flicked his snout! Even though his lesser constituency backed down, he raised himself to half a head over Glacier and puffed himself out, arms folded.

"Nothing about pranks about this, lover girl," he intoned with a snort. "You're still on about your loss? That's ancient history to me, but you lost then and you'll lose a second time. I ain't afraid of giving you a public beating in a contest, 'specially in front of your sergeant."

Hemlock hawked a wad of spit into the dirt beside them, his mischievous grin upturning as he revolved on a heel.

"Actually, since I'm a kind soul, how 'bout the outskirts in the dead of night where the wreckage lies? You know the one I'm talking about, Midnight. A good show for those who come, and your bruises can be hidden in the gloom."

~~ ++ ~~ ++ ~~

Pincer huffed at the thought, a little disgusted since romance never really was in his mind, but the playfulness and noogies turned his countenance from a frown to a smile very quickly. He doled out a bit as well as Summers joined in on the action, doing the same to Joey, but the sounds of light feet brushing stones behind him turned all heads.

Shine's face still radiated the warmth that he had with Glacier earlier as he hailed his friends and answered, "Quite well! Quite well. There's the ol' matter of a bully to deal with, but nothing too bad." He turned his head, ears pinning back as he caught sight of the action. "Ah, beans. Glace is up for more trouble than breaking up your sitch, Pincer."

"What?" Pincer glanced over as well. "She's standing up to Hemlock now? Does she have a death wish?"

"She's probably defending her honour or something. Or maybe mine. Wouldn't that be sweet?" Shine's grin was even wider. "Still, we should have her back if things come to blows. Come, lads."

‘Don’t show weakness..’

”Fine! You got yourself a deal. The darkness will obscure your defeat and it’d be me getting the last laugh this time. If I didn’t have the risk of being dishororably discharged for this I’d say bring it on right now.“

She wanted to give one last flick to Hemlock’s snout, until a claw wrapped around her arm. Summers, Pincer, Joey, and of course Shine.
Shine‘s claw was the one keeping her at bay. She glared back at him, wrenching her arm away.
“See you then..”

She joined the group in walking away. Hemlock was lucky they intervened. She sat where the group spectated the match between her and Hemlock each dragon stared at her wanting to know what he said.
”Before any of you say anything, I wanted this. I need to beat him to knock him down a peg or two. I couldn’t say no! What kind of guard would I be if I show weakness infront of an opponent?“

Hemlock smiled his biggest goading smile seeing her arm drawn back by Shine of all people. Perhaps there was some merit to the idea of their being romantic after all.

"See you then," he mirrored, turning about and returning to his posse without any sense of fear.

Shine, on the other hand, was close to panicking, hearing the last of what was said. Summers fumbled with his fingers, Pincer stared daggers at the back of Hemlock's head.

"Glace, what're you thinking?" he whispered hurriedly, dragging her out of earshot from eavesdroppers. Pincer and Summers followed, and perhaps Joey as well. "You fighting him solo or what? I don't doubt your strength on the benches and bars, but the guy is huge and, moreover, is a junior officer!"

"Hmph. All the more reason to knock him down a peg, I say," Pincer remarked, waving his hand above crossed arms. "I don't trust him, though. He's got a group of cronies. If it is a fight, a bully's bound to use them."

"We should be there too to get her out of the sitch, then!" hissed Shine. "I won't let you take the brunt of all this if that happens. While a guard answers the call, he needn't do it rashly!"

"Let's let the lady finish," Summers spoke up in a thrum. "We don't know what is happening, do we?"

Shine sighed and nodded as all eyes turned to Glacier for an answer.

Hemlock smiled his biggest goading smile seeing her arm drawn back by Shine of all people. Perhaps there was some merit to the idea of their being romantic after all.

"See you then," he mirrored, turning about and returning to his posse without any sense of fear.

Shine, on the other hand, was close to panicking, hearing the last of what was said. Summers fumbled with his fingers, Pincer stared daggers at the back of Hemlock's head.

"Glace, what're you thinking?" he whispered hurriedly, dragging her out of earshot from eavesdroppers. Pincer and Summers followed, and perhaps Joey as well. "You fighting him solo or what? I don't doubt your strength on the benches and bars, but the guy is huge and, moreover, is a junior officer!"

"Hmph. All the more reason to knock him down a peg, I say," Pincer remarked, waving his hand above crossed arms. "I don't trust him, though. He's got a group of cronies. If it is a fight, a bully's bound to use them."

"We should be there too to get her out of the sitch, then!" hissed Shine. "I won't let you take the brunt of all this if that happens. While a guard answers the call, he needn't do it rashly!"

"Let's let the lady finish," Summers spoke up in a thrum. "We don't know what is happening, do we?"

Shine sighed and nodded as all eyes turned to Glacier for an answer.
Glacier put her claws over her ears to block all the arguing.
”All of you shut up! I learned as a guard to accept challenges whatever they may be, and to not show fear. That’s what I did I showed no fear and I’ll get myself out of this situation myself.”

The group of dragons glanced at each other in disapproval.
”If you‘re so keen on dying then be our guest. Did ya hear about the last dragon who challenged Hemlock? The bastard got his skull fractured, broken arms, broken legs, and is most likely still recovering.
Like, you should have seen the aftermath! Blood and destruction everywhere. You-“

Shine, Summers, and Pincer all glared at Joey.

“Thanks, anyways, it‘s touching that you all care I gotta do this by myself. If it was one of you guys you’d be obligated to it’s what we train for everyday. I cannot just sit here and do nothing!”

She walked off still ranting, getting so angry she snatched a spear from an unsuspecting guard and launched it into the target. While almost missing another guard standing close by. They watched as Glacier left afterwards.

’What did I get myself into…’

Shine felt beside himself as he watched Glacier walk into the distance, shaking his head. He wanted to speak up, but he found that his tongue was tacked down. What could he say to dissuade someone who was so dead set on duty she had one foot in the grave? Well, he was not going to sit on his hands to watch everything unfold. He had to do . . . something.

"Joey, you have to work on your conversation skills. That ain't gonna cut as diplomacy if yer ever chosen for fieldwork. Anyways, I'm gonna follow her to . . . wherever she goes. Keep her out of trouble."

"I will too," voiced Pincer, standing as stiff as if he were at attention. "I'm no good in a fight, but I have some talents."

"Me three," spoke Summers confidently, folding his arms.

Shine chuckled with a snort and embraced them both. Pincer winced in pain from the sharp pressure of Shine's scales protruding from his main body, while Summers did not seem to give it much thought with his thick armoured skin.

"Joey? Tell the others of the Titan Five to not wait for us for supper. Boreal and Mightywing would just slow us down. They're gonna wait for dark if I heard right. You and me, folks? We've our mission today, OPERATION: Keep Glacesha Alive and Well!"

Pincer rolled his eyes at the name and commented, "Maybe it would be better to name it "OPERATION Ice Storm"? You know, because glaciers involves ice and we're--"

"Brilliant! Pincer, you're promoted."

"Promoted to what?! We're the same rank, and you're not even in the same company!"

They conversed as such as they walked off, leaving Joey there if he didn't want to speak up again. Their intent? To help Glacier however they can, or remain hidden if there was nothing for them to do.

Shine felt beside himself as he watched Glacier walk into the distance, shaking his head. He wanted to speak up, but he found that his tongue was tacked down. What could he say to dissuade someone who was so dead set on duty she had one foot in the grave? Well, he was not going to sit on his hands to watch everything unfold. He had to do . . . something.

"Joey, you have to work on your conversation skills. That ain't gonna cut as diplomacy if yer ever chosen for fieldwork. Anyways, I'm gonna follow her to . . . wherever she goes. Keep her out of trouble."

"I will too," voiced Pincer, standing as stiff as if he were at attention. "I'm no good in a fight, but I have some talents."

"Me three," spoke Summers confidently, folding his arms.

Shine chuckled with a snort and embraced them both. Pincer winced in pain from the sharp pressure of Shine's scales protruding from his main body, while Summers did not seem to give it much thought with his thick armoured skin.

"Joey? Tell the others of the Titan Five to not wait for us for supper. Boreal and Mightywing would just slow us down. They're gonna wait for dark if I heard right. You and me, folks? We've our mission today, OPERATION: Keep Glacesha Alive and Well!"

Pincer rolled his eyes at the name and commented, "Maybe it would be better to name it "OPERATION Ice Storm"? You know, because glaciers involves ice and we're--"

"Brilliant! Pincer, you're promoted."

"Promoted to what?! We're the same rank, and you're not even in the same company!"

They conversed as such as they walked off, leaving Joey there if he didn't want to speak up again. Their intent? To help Glacier however they can, or remain hidden if there was nothing for them to do.
Bap bap bap!

Stupid Hemlock.

Bap Bap Bap!

Cant show weakness…

Bap Bap Bap!

Gotta win!

Bap Bap Riiip!

The punching bag bled sand from a hole. She threw the gloves away after peeling them off and descarded them on the fitting ring floor. Her eyes glared at the clock then they widened seeing the time. Who knew she trained for that long? It’s almost time! Grabbing a duffle bag Glacier prepared, grabbing a quick bite to eat and a greedy drink of water.
Opening the fighting ring door the warm light dimly lit a portion of the hall. Her shadow casted the wall slinging the strap of the bag higher.
‘I’m not backing down, it’s to late for that.’

Glacier remembers the youthful guards gossiping about their secret exit. Only now, she realized it was discovered. Two lights blocked Glacier’s vision only when shielding her eyes, it turned out to be a patrol.

”Hi guys. I’m here for patrol duty like you. Step aside so I can get ready.”

She said, doing her best to sound like a sergeant. However, she was only in guard fatigues and with a duffel bag.

Last edited:
When Glacier appeared from the undergrowth the patrol stopped, one freezing in place while the other partly drew their blade from their sheath. Recognising the guard fatigues, the blade was quickly sheathed in full, but above the lanterns, if Glacier could see through the bright light, one could see distrust in their young eyes.

The first of the two. silver in scale and with a grim expression, cleared his throat before speaking, "A bit late for the shift, don't you think? Or too early. It couldn't be midnight yet, could it?" His silhouette looked up toward the sky. "Mm, no, the moon's not quite right. What outfit are you with?"

"And what of your gear?" pointed out the other, light red and scintillating in the light. "Patrolling in fatigues and not your uniform? Best get back in uniform, and this time use the official entrance. This one is to be sealed off."

"Wait a minute," came the first, suspicion laced in his words. "What is the bag for? That'd better not be contraband."

When Glacier appeared from the undergrowth the patrol stopped, one freezing in place while the other partly drew their blade from their sheath. Recognising the guard fatigues, the blade was quickly sheathed in full, but above the lanterns, if Glacier could see through the bright light, one could see distrust in their young eyes.

The first of the two. silver in scale and with a grim expression, cleared his throat before speaking, "A bit late for the shift, don't you think? Or too early. It couldn't be midnight yet, could it?" His silhouette looked up toward the sky. "Mm, no, the moon's not quite right. What outfit are you with?"

"And what of your gear?" pointed out the other, light red and scintillating in the light. "Patrolling in fatigues and not your uniform? Best get back in uniform, and this time use the official entrance. This one is to be sealed off."

"Wait a minute," came the first, suspicion laced in his words. "What is the bag for? That'd better not be contraband."
“I got lost you know it’s dark and I’m tired. I’ll get right into uniform, sorry for the intrusion.”
With her back turned to climb back inside the duffle bag swung into view, the guards suspicion made Glacier twirl back.
”just workout gear.”

She blurted out. While the guards took a second to glance at each other suspecting something was up, Glacier swung the bag by the strap using it like club to smack the silver scaled dragon in the head.
Now she’s done it….
The adrenaline pushed her currently her body ignored the screaming thoughts of turning herself in. She just hit a freaking guard! What is she thinking?!

As Glacier ran the guards yelling orders echoed behind her as lights manifested in the darkness. Her claws forced her to run into the large gate keeping her from the outside. They helped her climb almost reaching the crest when a large spotlight shot in her direction.
Again Glacier’s training kicked in and she found the ground instantly in a painful way…
More yelling forced Glacier to her feet running down the first closest street. She ran past shops, civilians up late watched the guard rush by.
She grabbed a lamppost and swung herself in a different direction.
However, the light failed to tell her of someone nearby. Out of the darkness a shadow of a dragon minding their business came up quickly. Both we’re knocked down and Glacier found herself on the ground. Glacier laid in the opposite direction than the dragon she colided with. If they stood up from Glacier’s view the stranger would be upside down.

The silver-scaled patrolman was easily caught unawares, Glacier's movements swift and erratic as the duffel slammed into his face. No permanent damage was had, but he fell back in a daze for a few seconds before an attempt was made to rise.

His fellow, on the other hand, called out in alarm and drew his blade, barking orders that the attacker to stand down as he gave chase. Glacier, however, was fast, and she sped far ahead as the guard slowed, put away his weapon, and looked on. Huffing in irritation and clutching an old injury in his leg, the light-red male sighed. This would look bad, but since he could not chase he had to report.

Far from all of this, the town of OceanSide was quiet, with only a few stray individuals roaming its streets and byways. One looked on to the many rampant search lights with a placid curiosity, surprised to see such a dance of light in the middle of the night. Others joined her, peeping out of the slatted windows with distant yells having awoken them. Perhaps this was a good moment for her to leave her plant nursery and shop and brush away the errant leaves from her storefront later. Tucking her broom underneath the crook of her arm, she readied herself to leave before someone holding tightly a light revolved around the corner and slammed into her.

Crying out in surprise, she fell back into the cobblestone with the grinding of stone on carapace, bowled over. As a nature dragon clothed in her shell of earth, vine, and root, she was quite sheltered her from the majority of the impact, and her set of keys and broom flew harmlessly too to the nearby ground, but what of the other person?

With a winded puff, she rose to her rear, then turned around to face the one that bumped into her. Green scales and dark eyes decorated her inquisitive, nonhurried face, but her expression was that of concern.

"Oh! Excuse me. I did not see you there," she responded sleepily, rising to her feet with surprisingly adroitness and offering a hand. "Please, let me help you up. Are you all right?" Faraway yells grew louder by the second before light spilled around a corner, attracting her attention. "Friends of yours?"

The silver-scaled patrolman was easily caught unawares, Glacier's movements swift and erratic as the duffel slammed into his face. No permanent damage was had, but he fell back in a daze for a few seconds before an attempt was made to rise.

His fellow, on the other hand, called out in alarm and drew his blade, barking orders that the attacker to stand down as he gave chase. Glacier, however, was fast, and she sped far ahead as the guard slowed, put away his weapon, and looked on. Huffing in irritation and clutching an old injury in his leg, the light-red male sighed. This would look bad, but since he could not chase he had to report.

Far from all of this, the town of OceanSide was quiet, with only a few stray individuals roaming its streets and byways. One looked on to the many rampant search lights with a placid curiosity, surprised to see such a dance of light in the middle of the night. Others joined her, peeping out of the slatted windows with distant yells having awoken them. Perhaps this was a good moment for her to leave her plant nursery and shop and brush away the errant leaves from her storefront later. Tucking her broom underneath the crook of her arm, she readied herself to leave before someone holding tightly a light revolved around the corner and slammed into her.

Crying out in surprise, she fell back into the cobblestone with the grinding of stone on carapace, bowled over. As a nature dragon clothed in her shell of earth, vine, and root, she was quite sheltered her from the majority of the impact, and her set of keys and broom flew harmlessly too to the nearby ground, but what of the other person?

With a winded puff, she rose to her rear, then turned around to face the one that bumped into her. Green scales and dark eyes decorated her inquisitive, nonhurried face, but her expression was that of concern.

"Oh! Excuse me. I did not see you there," she responded sleepily, rising to her feet with surprisingly adroitness and offering a hand. "Please, let me help you up. Are you all right?" Faraway yells grew louder by the second before light spilled around a corner, attracting her attention. "Friends of yours?"
Glacier rolled over, holding her head the fading view of a dragon flashed into a clear picture. Glacier gasped and on her hands and knees put distance between her and the nature dragon.
A Nature Dragon living here? How did they become so brave to mingle with those who hate them? Glacier didn’t wanna be caught by the guards it’d be even worse if she was caught conversing with a nature dragon! Her scales on her arms and knees were peeled off by the cobblestone she refused to let the pain win and she ran off into the darkness.

A guard in full armor clanking as he ran skidded to a stop beside the nature dragon.
“Hey you! Have you seen a guard run by here? She’s a suspect and is charged with escape!”

”She wouldn’t know! Don’t you know what you’re talking to?”

A second guard stated.

”It’s one of them peace loving nature dragons. You have some nerve coming to our town! Let’s get going sir, we don’t have anything else to say..”

The guard hissed and the two of them ran into the night in the same direction as Glacier.

The nature dragon rescinded her hand, a tired sigh escaping her. Perhaps it was too much to ask for assisting the other dragon up. Reluctance and distaste ran hand-in-hand when it came to her kind, and OceanSide matched this. Well, mostly. At least the neighbors tolerated her existence, and her shop hand Rivetta, a giddy and spunky girl smaller than her heart was big, was a joy to have around.

The indigo dragon ran off into the dark, leaving her lantern behind, and pensively the nature dragon looked on. She seemed scared, panicked -- seemingly for good reason as the search party grew nearer. In a gesture of good faith, she picked up the discarded lantern and drew her broom in as the guards came to her, acting as if it were her own. The guards did not leave her very much room for words as they jabbed at her heritage, so with a grimace she said nothing. They continued with their pace and revolved around a building corner.

"Indeed, the nerve," she countered when they were far beyond earshot, then sighed, downcast. "Oh, who am I kidding? If I did not set down my roots here, I would probably like to leave, but that will not be. The most you can do is grin and bear it, Vitalia. Suck it in and live with it."

Casting one last look at the leaves gathered at her shop's doorstep, she left for her lonely little house on the cliff face. Later, perhaps, all will be better.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Hemlock waited as sentinel in his fatigues staring up at the moon, his back leaned against what was left of the chassis of some old machine long left to rust, and his feet pumping beneath him in lack of patience. Where was she? Did she stand him up? Shame on her if she did. He was focused on the here and now, hoping the energetic Glacier would come so she could get her comeuppance one way or another.

A lantern shone before him, penetrating into the gloom. His eyes grazed the periphery of the light, hoping something, anything would cross into his view to save him from this boredom. He did not have all night.

Hemlock turned his head sharply, surprised to witness his fellow guards outside at such an hour. His gaze averted from the light before finding shelter behind his shielding hand.

"Enjoying a night outside the fence. The moon is lovely this time of night, wouldn't you agree? And what are you doing here?"

Receiving his answer, he nodded gruffly and cleared the wreckage with precision, good wingwork, and incredible balance, but that did not save him from the aftereffects of . . . something . . . going on behind him. The ground rumbled disruptingly, robbing him of his footing. What was this? An earthquake? Tsunami? No, a tidal wave of such size was never this calm, but everything felt closer. Turning, he found yet another answer and sprang to safety.

"Aiee! What is that thing?!" Hemlock shrieked in fright.

He reached for his sword and grasped nothing, forgetting that he did not bring his weapon to what he first intended to be a beatdown. Cursing under his breath, he looked out into the distance as if searching for something, then, not finding it, turned toward the rogue automaton. Animalistic or not, its playfulness belied a far worse danger.

Witnessing the flying guard and the others, he felt as if he were going to be the next to go, but it never came. Curious, he thought. It only seems to affect metal. A magnet? I'm lucky I'm fresh out, but that leaves me with only one option.

"
Cover your eyes!" he barked toward the guard on the creature's side before growing still.

Sucking in his breath in a steady stream through his nose, he released the breath with an additional exhale of flame rocketing out from his mouth. The flames were of middling intensity, as he was not well practiced with breathing fire, but if the flames landed it might do some damage to the wiring or exposed core. Hitting the guard was not his intent if done, but would be a necessary sacrifice.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Pincer was as shocked as anyone else to be woken up in the middle of a night for war duty. The others in the group -- inventive and gabby (can be changed by you if desired; I only saw him the once) Joey, dense and mighty Summers, greedy and cheerful Boreal, and ambitious and neurotic Mightywing -- each had their own worries to attend to, but Summers seemed to share a glance with him. He knew the three words said through eye contact: what, of, and Shine. Indeed, what of Shine? They were supposed to be woken up by Shine after dark. Did he fall asleep, or were they claimed by the senior officers before he could even breath a word to them?

"Whoo-ey!" shouted Boreal, not at all perturbed by the lack of sleep or such knowledge. His teal, serpentine head whipped around excitedly as he viewed everyone. Seeing everyone frowning, he aimed to turn those frowns upside down. "Hey, did you hear that, gents? The Titan Five is being sent to the front as a squad! Do you think the Emperor asked for us specifically? I do! It's like a dream come true!"

"While I knew this day would come eventually," responded Pincer, fidgeting in his seat, "I did not think it was so soon. He also said we'd be broken into groups, or have you not been listening, Boreal?"

"Oh, of course, of course!" chirped Boreal, nodding his head without pause.

"But Shine . . ."

"Shine will write to you, and you him, isn't that right?" swooped in Summers, smiling genuinely.

"I suppose so. Still, I wanted to be with him a little while longer, help out with a thing or three--"

"If it's about that lass, she can handle herself well enough," responded Mightywing, leaning forward his broad, golden physique that was even larger than Summers only because of scale. "I met her before. Scary girl, hot-headed."

"You're one to talk, big shot," sneered Pincer, adjusting his sleeve before growing solemn. "Still, I suppose I agree. She seems stronger than she appears. Gents? Even if a choice was provided to us, the answer is clear. We go to the front lines. Let's pack up."

As the light got closer the shadows manifested into Hemlock’s fellow guards dressed in full armor. The beam traced the machine and shot up into Hemlock’s face.
”Hemlock?! What’re you doing?“

The voices caught Glacier’s attention hiding into bushes.
”Well if you must know we’re looking for a suspect. We shut down the entire perimeter to look for her.”

If Hemlock jumped down from the metal wreckage to address the guards further the machine rumbled slightly, disturbing the dirt.
The ground cracked shattering as rock and dirt shot everywhere.
The wreckage sprang to life a dog like machine with its underbelly exposed with wires and a glowing core. Due to the rust the limbs jammed after a few steps, it then snapped the joints to free them.
It turned towards the dragons, roaring in their faces. The dog machine ran around like it was playful, skidding to a stop until a electric stinging filled the air. The static feeling bristled their scales the fully armored dragons felt their armor tugging at them. The first to go was the guard in charge, they went flying and stuck to the things side. The other guards grabbed onto trees and the ground to not fly at it.

The Titan 5 was rudely awaken by their superiors and is now sitting infront of a chalkboard. Each youthful dragon had their own chair anxiously waiting for something or someone. A guard walked in from the left side doorway holding a clipboard with shuffling papers the first lifted to stare at the second. The dragon glanced up and adjusted their glasses.
“Hopefully you’re all wide awake for this news because I’m only saying this once! You all are reassigned to the frontlines to aid the Emperor’s war effort. Pack your things, you have 20 minutes and head outside to the front of the barracks. you will be split into groups to be deployed. Once you arrive you will be briefed on your mission. I wish you all good luck on this important mission. May the emperor share his knowledge to you and bring you strength.”

(Repost)

Hemlock turned his head sharply, surprised to witness his fellow guards outside at such an hour. His gaze averted from the light before finding shelter behind his shielding hand.

"Enjoying a night outside the fence. The moon is lovely this time of night, wouldn't you agree? And what are you doing here?"

Receiving his answer, he nodded gruffly and cleared the wreckage with precision, good wingwork, and incredible balance, but that did not save him from the aftereffects of . . . something . . . going on behind him. The ground rumbled disruptingly, robbing him of his footing. What was this? An earthquake? Tsunami? No, a tidal wave of such size was never this calm, but everything felt closer. Turning, he found yet another answer and sprang to safety.

"Aiee! What is that thing?!" Hemlock shrieked in fright.

He reached for his sword and grasped nothing, forgetting that he did not bring his weapon to what he first intended to be a beatdown. Cursing under his breath, he looked out into the distance as if searching for something, then, not finding it, turned toward the rogue automaton. Animalistic or not, its playfulness belied a far worse danger.

Witnessing the flying guard and the others, he felt as if he were going to be the next to go, but it never came. Curious, he thought. It only seems to affect metal. A magnet? I'm lucky I'm fresh out, but that leaves me with only one option.

"
Cover your eyes!" he barked toward the guard on the creature's side before growing still.

Sucking in his breath in a steady stream through his nose, he released the breath with an additional exhale of flame rocketing out from his mouth. The flames were of middling intensity, as he was not well practiced with breathing fire, but if the flames landed it might do some damage to the wiring or exposed core. Hitting the guard was not his intent if done, but would be a necessary sacrifice.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Pincer was as shocked as anyone else to be woken up in the middle of a night for war duty. The others in the group -- inventive and gabby (can be changed by you if desired; I only saw him the once) Joey, dense and mighty Summers, greedy and cheerful Boreal, and ambitious and neurotic Mightywing -- each had their own worries to attend to, but Summers seemed to share a glance with him. He knew the three words said through eye contact: what, of, and Shine. Indeed, what of Shine? They were supposed to be woken up by Shine after dark. Did he fall asleep, or were they claimed by the senior officers before he could even breath a word to them?

"Whoo-ey!" shouted Boreal, not at all perturbed by the lack of sleep or such knowledge. His teal, serpentine head whipped around excitedly as he viewed everyone. Seeing everyone frowning, he aimed to turn those frowns upside down. "Hey, did you hear that, gents? The Titan Five is being sent to the front as a squad! Do you think the Emperor asked for us specifically? I do! It's like a dream come true!"

"While I knew this day would come eventually," responded Pincer, fidgeting in his seat, "I did not think it was so soon. He also said we'd be broken into groups, or have you not been listening, Boreal?"

"Oh, of course, of course!" chirped Boreal, nodding his head without pause.

"But Shine . . ."

"Shine will write to you, and you him, isn't that right?" swooped in Summers, smiling genuinely.

"I suppose so. Still, I wanted to be with him a little while longer, help out with a thing or three--"

"If it's about that lass, she can handle herself well enough," responded Mightywing, leaning forward his broad, golden physique that was even larger than Summers only because of scale. "I met her before. Scary girl, hot-headed."

"You're one to talk, big shot," sneered Pincer, adjusting his sleeve before growing solemn. "Still, I suppose I agree. She seems stronger than she appears. Gents? Even if a choice was provided to us, the answer is clear. We go to the front lines. Let's pack up."
The fire breath made the mechanical creature cry in a horrific screech like nails on a chalkboard. A static charge popped in the air bursting out into a blinding shockwave. There was no more fire being blown by the captain. the only remains were of scorched ash floating down. It scrapped the ground with its metalic claw in challenge the guards accepted, using what they have learned by dodging strikes and bite, jabbing and slashing at the wires and core. The energy within the core held makeshift lightning it sparkled as the metal plating burned the same bright blue hue like earlier. A electirc pulse shot out this time repelling the guards backwards. The machine pounced, snatching a guard from the ground and throwing them into the air only to catch them again. The screams of the guard haunted Glacier, she witnessed the machine throw the dragon down, pinning them to the ground, and with one rip the screams were cut short.
Again the air crackled with electirc charge as the maget reactivated to claim more victims. Glacier glanced around quickly snapping a branch off of a tree, her training kicking in.
More screams, more bright flashes of blue, and more ash in the air. Glacier hurried adding a fine point to the branch using her sharp claws. Taking the time to see how the battle was going she finished sooner than she should have and threw a stone to gain its attention.
"Hey! Over here you lightning machine!"

The machine reared scratching the ground in challenge.
"Hemlock! You're in charge what's your orders?!"

She rolled out of the way of a brute charge the machine toppling many trees.
"SnapJaw should be on his way! He dispatched us to track you down!"

The machine busted through the trees once again.
"I hate to say this...Fall back to Snapjaw's position, we lost to many to take it on ourselves!"

Hemlock was knocked back by the gout of energy that the strange creature had emitted, slamming into the ground and rolling away. Stunned as he was, he rolled away a little further on his own volition in case the creature chased after him and rose to his feet. Instead, its target was not him, but one of the new guards. The screams. Oh, the screams. The creature had ended the unfortunate soldier with a tear, and more soldiers had been clamped to its back by forces he only had weak knowledge over, then fried. If not for Glacier's question or for others seeing him, he might have tried to fly away. He did not.

"It's innards are weak to fire, but cutting its wires seems to be doing little. Aim for the glowing core or fall back! To think such an ancient beast was still around. Unthinkable."

With a burst forward he claimed one of the fallen's spears and spread his wings to gain loft. If he was going to save some lives and prove himself a hero, this beast was a fine stepping stone. If only it was brighter out, he could make out the terrain better than shadows and brilliant flashes. He approached the machine and swooped close, attempting to strike the beast with a thrust toward its chest. With luck it will penetrate the core or remove some crucial wiring for the electromagnets, creating an opening or felling it. He knew, however, his chances were low. Another attempt might be needed, so he kept his guard up.

As Glacier and he were fighting, one was taking everything in patiently, silver eyes analysing the machine in the shadows. He drew his sword silently and stroked it with an oiled cloth, waiting for an opportunity to strike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back