Other The Gallery and AI-generated art

Vox Angelis

The Stargazer
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Hello all!

I'm a person who very much enjoys art. I've especially loved collecting pictures from all over the web, Sci-Fi and fantasy alike, for character ideas and such from a young age and onwards. I've actually gotten into even commissioning artwork of my characters after being introduced to this aspect of the art world when I was a couple years into a RP. Now, whenever I get the chance, I like to expose my OCs artworks.

Now I have a genuine question, out of curiosity. Is the gallery feature on RPN used often? Are the people here browsing artwork often over the Gallery?

Also, while I have a few characters with a fair amount of artwork done in the past, I sometimes like to revisit the designs, or I have ideas of characters popping into mind. As such, I use NovelAI to bring a few ideas to picture. Now I know it's still a rather heated subject due to the ethical nature of the machine learning. I want to know the general feeling of the people here towards AI-generated artwork before shooting this sort of stuff into the Gallery.

Now I have a genuine question, out of curiosity. Is the gallery feature on RPN used often? Are the people here browsing artwork often over the Gallery?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really tend to browse gallery. I know plenty of art-oriented sites even if you exclude a plain ol' google search, but even then I rarely browse art just to browse.

What I use the gallery for is mainly to put edited images in that I need a link for for coding reasons.

I want to know the general feeling of the people here towards AI-generated artwork before shooting this sort of stuff into the Gallery.

I have a general preference for non-AI artwork, though I do not see an innate harm in it or its use. The proper stance is more complicated than that, but that's what it boils down to.

I don't see a ton of usage on the gallery, but I also don't use RPN as an art viewing site.

As for AI-art, I cannot look at AI-art without getting upset because AI art only able to be made through using human artists' works. Commonly uncreditted and without asking so. I see it as posting stolen artwork without credit.

Hoyo.

I have to agree with the sentiment that AI generated content is something that upsets me.

As an artist myself I know what it takes to put in the work and the hours to make art what it is. And the thought that someone out there may take what I worked hard to create in order to train a program how to amalgamate whatever I created with the works of others to spit out new Frankenstein images doesn't appeal to me.

Even art itself is defined in almost every dictionary you can find as being "human created." Not AI-generated.

Therefore, by both literal and traditional definition, AI generated content is not "art" because AI is not human. It may be throwing together a mishmash of human artwork based on images it was trained on by its human creator. But the AI is the final determining factor. Human input is limited, and the final result is 100% created and determined by the AI itself.

That's why I call it AI-generated "content" instead of art, and I refuse to recognize or label it as "art."

To me, AI-generated content is nothing more than a gimmick. Eventually I'm sure it will find a place in the world which is unobtrusive and not harmful to real artists. But right now, it's both obtrusive and harmful to real artists. So, in its present state I cannot support it.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back