• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern The Family Business

Patty felt her stomach turning and gurgling. She wasn't ready. Or was she? She couldn't tell. She had wanted this for a long time, but she still couldn't tell what she would say, or do. She was meeting her idol. An idol who had probably met thousands of Pattys before her. But, she could be different. Somehow.

She walked up to him, her eyes wide with starstruck anticipation. "H-hey, Robert." She stuttered, just loud enough to catch his attention. He seemed to acknowledge her, but how could she be sure. I mean, he was world famous, important. But, she knew that this had to happen.

killerqueenie46 said:
Patty felt her stomach turning and gurgling. She wasn't ready. Or was she? She couldn't tell. She had wanted this for a long time, but she still couldn't tell what she would say, or do. She was meeting her idol. An idol who had probably met thousands of Pattys before her. But, she could be different. Somehow.
She walked up to him, her eyes wide with starstruck anticipation. "H-hey, Robert." She stuttered, just loud enough to catch his attention. He seemed to acknowledge her, but how could she be sure. I mean, he was world famous, important. But, she knew that this had to happen.
Grammar and syntax is all there. I will not have to battle my inner Grammar Nazi to read your posts. You are cordially accepted. What character would you like to portray? If you're one of those who have a hard time portraying the opposite gender in a believable way (I am one so no shame) I can write a character in for you. Otherwise, the character slots I most urgently need filled are Roary Pearson and Percy Dent.

Alright. So so far the tally is 4 people. We have myself as Alexander.

@NeoLeaf as Amelia

@Rui as Wilma Dent

@killerqueenie46 as Percy (or Roary if she changes her mind about me picking for her)

We need exactly one more person before I would be comfortable starting.

A question came to mind.

Do we have anyone of African or Arabian descend in Arcanum?

NeoLeaf said:
A question came to mind.
Do we have anyone of African or Arabian descend in Arcanum?
No Arabs, probably a few blacks but not a lot. It's predominantly Anglo-American. Irish and Italian are also common, as are Chinese and Japanese.

crucialstar said:
I'm quite new to Noir as well, but this definitely caught my attention. I'm not sure how well I'll play the original characters, but I'm willing to try. I was reading through the chat as well and Roary seemed to be left, unless someone wants him instead of Percy?
I'll probably have to ask a lot of questions regarding the universe since it's in 1919 where guns and other sorts of technology were probably not even produced by then. So, I have to freshen up on my history.

Regardless, I'm quite interested! Would you like a writing sample? If so, would you want an in character one?
Yes. That would be lovely.

Aw poo...

Hiring a maid or laborer would have been exquisite... Assuming that the family business isn't too broke to hire cheap labor that is.

NeoLeaf said:
Aw poo...
Hiring a maid or laborer would have been exquisite... Assuming that the family business isn't too broke to hire cheap labor that is.
Pretty broke.

How much can we customize our characters?

I'm asking because I would find it hilarious if the siblings don't share any resemblances. Like having one of the siblings that looks like a pink faced blonde in contrast to another one that's a tanned brunette.

Last edited by a moderator:
NeoLeaf said:
How much can we customize our characters?
I'm asking because I would find it hilarious if the siblings don't share any resemblances. Like having one of the siblings that looks like a pink faced blonde in contrast to another one that's a tanned brunette.
As long as they could reasonably be siblings. Remember that a description is never explicitly given for the mother or the father.

crucialstar said:
How long has it been since he stepped on the soils of the all-too familiar ground he walked on since he was a child? The moment he reached his destination off the port of Arcanum, Roary inhaled deeply, smelling the scent of his old city. However, it seemed like "old" wasn't the term that was appropriate, as his feet moved on their own in remembrance to the grounds he used to walk upon. As he arrived in the city of Arcanum, his eyes widened with curiosity, he stepped to the side, to get away from the moving traffic and hoards of people going to and from their destination. His rash-like attitude wanted to resurface his being as he wanted to march right into traffic, exclaiming his many questions of how this came to be: a birth of a metropolis city that was so foreign to his eyes. However, the truth remained: he was gone from home for far too long. Sadly, what's left of his own boisterous and reckless ways was only just a mere dream, an itch that was his kryptonite, but never, would he want to taint the name of the Army, considering how much the Lieutenants and his own Army Leader etched into his mind the behavior he is suppose to present to the public. Maybe, it was a good chance to have gone off like his father had wanted him, since it didn't make him fell all too bad knowing that he wasn't the only thing that change, but his Arcanum had as well. But, where was his father? Hadn't he wanted to go and meet him, through the letters he'd sent to him? Perhaps, he got caught up with the family business. It was rather odd Father didn't send anyone to him, but, nevertheless, Rorary went on his way towards home.
@Shireling

[i'm not sure if I channeled him correctly since it's the first time I wrote for him. At the same time, I'm not sure if I wrote the setting correctly, please tell me if I need to make any corrections. Also, I'm not sure how much you wanted, so I wrote briefly, however, this is a detailed forum, I can write more if you'd like?]
Despite a few syntax errors, it was perfect my sweet child. The RP gods have blessed me.

Anyways, you got Roary more or less. I pictured him a little less preoccupied with being Army prim-and-proper, but it's more or less him. Remember, you do have a little creative license with the characters.

As for the setting, he's only been gone two years so the city wouldn't look radically different to him, but he might notice there are more motorcars than what he is used to and the streets are a little more crowded.

But like I said, it's great, it's fantastic. You're in.

crucialstar said:
Syntax? Can you elaborate so that I can improve in my writing? It'll definitely help me a lot.
Thank you! I'll keep that in mind when I re-write this "opening scene" for Roary again!

It definitely helped me a lot on getting the corrections too!

Yay! Excited!
Just the way certain things were worded. Like "how long has it been since he stepped on the soils" which is technically correct but it sounds better to say "how long HAD it been"

crucialstar said:
No worries!
Vietnamese was my first language, but grammar was always an issue with me with syntax. D:
You write better than a lot of native English speakers. You're fine in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back