Advice/Help Group Roleplaying Advice

Ascarer

The Ash-Mind
Okay, so basically I've just never experienced a group roleplay before. I'm nervous to try, mostly because I have no idea if it goes in a certain order or what. You don't have to answer all the questions I preset in the post, I just am looking to learn.

It's been bothering me for a while and I just kind of need to know: What's acceptable? What's unacceptable?
Maybe even name things you hate that people do when you're in a group roleplay, as a way for me to learn how to better be courteous when starting off.
Anything really that can help a newbie, although not a newbie to roleplaying - generally speaking.

Well from experience, if you have one Oc and it's interacting with someone else's, comment once and wait for them to respond.

If you have 2 in the rp, then play both of them in just one post and it's the same if you had one. Wait for them to respond then you respond.

In terms of posting order or anything like that, it's something that is typically specified. Either in the rules or the roleplay description. And even then, it's usually for smaller group rps. However, the one time I'd say there is an unspoken order is when you are in direct interaction with 2 or more roleplayers. Say your character is talking to character A and B, you'd normally allow both A and B to both speak their piece before continuing. Sort of like when you're in a conversation with 2 people. You don't run on only talking to one person while ignoring the other. Still, this isn't anything mandatory, especially since of character B's roleplayer goes MIA, it can stall things.

In terms of how they work in general, they're not too much different than 1x1s I like to think. Other than there are more people, which does add a few things, but doesn't necessarily change the entire dynamic of roleplaying. Of course, there are more people to interact with which also gives you the option to switch to someone else between scenes or conversations. Though it also means that it can be difficult to tell when one character is trying to interact with yours, especially for the first time. Since they can't really call out the name of someone they don't know. Tagging the player in the post helps with this. It also helps to alert them when you've posted even in the middle of the interaction so that it doesn't get lost in other people's posts.

Keep in mind, OOC communication is vital in group rps. Whether it's too plot or find someone to interact with, make use of the OOC to its fullest. Even ask for help or feedback if you're unsure of something.

Amdreams pretty much said what I was going to. I will reiterate just read the rules / requirements for the specific roleplay. If you have any questions just ask the person running the roleplay ( called the GM ) and they should be happy to fill in any blanks.

Also yeah for post order it's usually specified in the roleplay rules/description but if not a good rule of thumb is to : Post an Action. Let at least one person respond then post your reaction to that. If your talking to mulitple people than let them all respond before you post your reply.

What's acceptable? What's unacceptable?
Honestly, most RPs will have rules / requirements of some sort that define the general expectation for players joining.
And if they aren't clear ask for clarification, if they don't define it more, then roll with it man!

Maybe even name things you hate that people do when you're in a group roleplay, as a way for me to learn how to better be courteous when starting off.
This is such a specific worry, but I understand, and my general rule of thumb is this. Look at what other players are using
for character names (and as accepted into the RP), look at the genre / themes / setting of the roleplay and with a little
deduction you'll figure out if naming your character Charles Murphy or Yoneda Izyaki is appropriate / acceptable or not.

Anything really that can help a newbie, although not a newbie to roleplaying - generally speaking.
Don't be shy about asking the Game Master (GM - creator of the RP) questions.

Respect the rules of the roleplay.

Put character personality over powers/abilities (because a fun character to interact with will always trump "cool powers" and you'll have way more fun).

Give other people a chance to respond and be patient if things are a little slow.

Don't be shy about making things happen in a roleplay; conflict, drama and high stakes keep people writing like mad. Just don't step on your GMs toes or break the narrative. (You don't want to send a car through the window if it doesn't make sense or serve a purpose). -- And if you're not sure just ask the GM if it's okay to throw in a little spice!

Don't worry if you post isn't "as long as everyone else" because sometimes you just need a short post. It won't break the roleplay and it'll probably be a breath of fresh air to move through a boring scene quicker with a few shorter but more quickly written posts. Trust me you can't write [black many] paragraphs all the time, you're not a machine.

If you love the roleplay and you're heart is in it HARDCORE go and commission fanart of the characters. It feels great!

AND ALWAYS COMMUNICATE OOC WITH EVERYONE. Nothing kills an RP faster than a group that doesn't talk to each other, get to know the people you're RPing with. Talk about games and movies and anime and tv shows. Share videos and memes and be welcoming. People will fall in love with your character more if you come up with a derpy fake scenario OOC that'll never happen, but it's fun to make shit up about your characters doing things with other peoples characters . . . trust me, you get someone shipping character and you'll bond in no time!!!

Oh and one more thing . . . NEVER FORGET ROLEPLAYING IS A GAME! If you aren't having fun leave, there will always be someplace you can play your OC or another RP of the same genre. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself, don't let RPing become a chore or something you loath having to do. You wanna "want to write this character" and you wanna feel like you just can't wait to get your next post out. That is what is important in RPing, getting real pleasure and joy out of writing a fun story.

Well, what was to be said has been said, so I will just try to add the succint version:
1. Don't be a douche
2. Ask if you're unsure
3. Be open to changing if you make a mistake
4. Be as cooperative as you can with your fellow players and especially the GM
5. Read and follow all rules etc...

Do that and you should get through it no problem.

Also, note that you won't be able to wait around for someone to interact with your characters. it's up to you, in a group roleplay, to shape your own experience. Even if you have to oocly poke a person in DM before posting to them, just to make sure its cool, that is way better than sitting there twiddling your thumbs wondering why no one is interacting with your character. If you want rp, you got to put yourself out there.

"A watched pot never boils." - People who tell you that you should just chill and wait for someone to pay attention is unrealistic. No one is going to take interest if you don't take an interest in them, the narrative, or the group theme. If you like someone's character or the way they rp, tell them this! It will boost your likelihood of rping with that person more often. And you will be viewed as much friendlier than if you are silent.

Although to the above, don’t be needy either. If you are communicating with someone and they haven’t replied for a bit don’t message them excessively. You can message them once but after that just wait for them to respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back