• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Thankfully, Aria was quick to pick up Evelyn's discomfort and cover for her. "She isn't anybody you lot need to concern yourselves over, Sergeant. All you need to know is that she's a guest, so act like gentlemen, aye?"

"Aye Ma'am; we'll be behaved."
Evelyn was momentarily relieved that Aria had covered for her, but she knew she wasn't exactly out of the bushes yet. The way that Aria had explained the white-haired lady's presence had left the men with even more questions than before, despite not voicing them. Evelyn knew more than well enough that she should try to be careful, and avoid opening her mouth too much, as she didn't exactly have a silver tongue.

"Good! Now Listen up!" The way Aria spoke and carried herself was vastly different from how she had interacted with Evelyn. She was still the same confident and composed lady Evelyn saw, but the friendliness and kindness she saw had been replaced with an air of maturity and leadership. She stood (sat?) tall from her seat behind the farmgirl, and her voice was equal parts commanding and inspiring, making the soldiers sit that little bit straighter in their saddles.

"I'm sure Sergeant Lanzrel already gave you the long and short of it, but we're moving to an outpost at the River Kharan. We'll be at the front lines proper, which means Calligians could be anywhere ready to put an arrow through your head. Keep your heads on a swivel and those carbines ready to draw at a moment's notice; we're not taking chances just because we control the surrounding area!"

Aria nodded to her second... "Standard formation, Sergeant. Let's get to it and on the road." ...who snapped to work getting the enlisted Dragoons into a proper formation. "Alright, you know the drill: single file right behind the Cornet; let's go!" It was an orderly chaos as Aria raised her head to above the gates, and let out a loud whistle with her gloves fingers. "Cornet Brakava! Open the gate!"

Based on the first impression Evelyn had gotten from Aria, she hadn't figured her as the leading type. Although, maybe that was bias on Evelyn's part, considering how all the men were much more... soldier-looking, in comparison with the rather short lady. Though, since all these other dragoons were unhesitant to follow Aria's orders without any complaints, there was clearly much more to the Cornet than the naked eye could observe.

As soldiers quickly formed into a neat line behind Serendipity, Evelyn couldn't help but feel a little tinge of authority as well. She was more well aware that she didn't actually possess any, but seeing the dragoons following behind was quite safeguarded.

The sudden noise all around Evelyn must've felt overwhelming; the Dragoons noisily organizing themselves into a neat line behind Serendipity was outdone by the faint shouting of Tierran sentries opening the battle-damaged gates with a heavy cream and groan. Aria and Serendipity were the only constant that proved an anchor of serenity in the chaos, both being cool-headed amidst the noise. Aria even let go of the reins with one hand to give an awkward half-hug around Evelyn's waist.

"We'll be alright. I won't let any harm come to you while I'm here with you."

Evelyn's eyes were quickly torn away from the Dragoons, as the loud clanking of the heavy gate of Noringa began to creak open. It was truly a sight to see, even with all the damage it had clearly received in recent battle. There was definitely no going through that gate without some serious firepower.

Wait a moment...

If the gate had been closed this entire time... how had Evelyn made it into Noringa by herself? Surely, she wouldn't have been let in just like that? Going through the gate wasn't an option either. With a quick glance around the surroundings of the gate, there appeared to be no openings in the battle-damaged walls to pass through, either. How on earth...

Evelyn was broken out of thought by Aria's sudden touch. "I know you won't. I'm grateful, Aria." She responded, a faint smile on her lips, but her ice-blue eyes did not match the rest of her expression. Inside her gaze, there was a somber emotion, a mix of doubt, fear, and overall negativity. The words from the Dragoon were comforting, but only to a point. If they were to encounter wild animals, bandits, or even troops of the opposing side, Evelyn was more than confident in Aria's capability.

However, those were not the only pitfalls facing them. Could Evelyn be protected from herself, in case the frost were to take over her again? What about if someone else were to find out about her magical capabilities, with malicious intent? How far could, and would, Aria go to protect someone, who was essentially still a stranger to her?

sek_cloe.png

Lady Aria d'al Brakava of Lancaster
Cornet of His Tierran Majesty's Royal Dragoons

Evelyn's eyes were quickly torn away from the Dragoons, as the loud clanking of the heavy gate of Noringa began to creak open. It was truly a sight to see, even with all the damage it had clearly received in recent battle. There was definitely no going through that gate without some serious firepower.

Wait a moment...

If the gate had been closed this entire time... how had Evelyn made it into Noringa by herself? Surely, she wouldn't have been let in just like that? Going through the gate wasn't an option either. With a quick glance around the surroundings of the gate, there appeared to be no openings in the battle-damaged walls to pass through, either. How on earth...

Evelyn was broken out of thought by Aria's sudden touch. "I know you won't. I'm grateful, Aria." She responded, a faint smile on her lips, but her ice-blue eyes did not match the rest of her expression. Inside her gaze, there was a somber emotion, a mix of doubt, fear, and overall negativity. The words from the Dragoon were comforting, but only to a point. If they were to encounter wild animals, bandits, or even troops of the opposing side, Evelyn was more than confident in Aria's capability.

However, those were not the only pitfalls facing them. Could Evelyn be protected from herself, in case the frost were to take over her again? What about if someone else were to find out about her magical capabilities, with malicious intent? How far could, and would, Aria go to protect someone, who was essentially still a stranger to her?

The sight of a face sheared in half with conflicting expressions was one Aria was already familiar with when Evelyn tried to smile in return. It was the same kind of conflict that she'd see back in Tierra among the nobles: the wide smiles that were little more than masks for the disdainful glint in their upstuck eyes. She couldn't stop the frown that formed on her lips before she could school it into a more practiced smile.

"... Already going for a first-name basis with me? I didn't know I earned that much trust in you~"

It was strange hearing the bit of teasing from Aria, but it rapidly disappeared when she turned her head around to the other Dragoons behind them. "Steady up! We're moving out, now!" She called out in a clear voice, just in time for the gates to crack a wide enough gap for the six (plus one) strong group of Tierran cavalry to pass through.

"Forward, Dragoons!"

1691117428824.png

Kharan Countryside - Imperial Calligia
602nd Year of the Old Imperial Era

With the scarred Noringa literally behind them, the band of six Tierran Dragoons and one Espean girl were treated to the morning sun of the Calligian north. The scene was picturesque with its well-trodden path and wild grass waving in imperceptible winds; the golden rays of sunlight with the clearing blue skies made for something of a romantic scene. Shame it was the serving backdrop for a war...

The six Tierran warhorses galloped along the dry dirt path at a steady, but overall slow pace to parts Evelyn wouldn't know. Serendipity was extraordinary in how well he managed to keep himself moving with minimal vertical movement; the special saddle that was tailor-made for Aria ensured that Evelyn didn't so much as jolt in the saddle, let alone bounce or jostle. Aria too seemed totally unaffected by the ride, although that was likely down to her experience riding on horses (especially Serendipity) than anything.

"Hey..." Aria kept her voice low enough that only Evelyn could hear. "... I mean it; as long as I'm around, I won't let anything bad happen to you. I swear on my name and my life that you'll come back home to your family alive and well."

The amount of fire in Aria's ruby eyes was strangely uplifting when she craned over to look Evelyn in the eye. It was all Aria needed to convey to let Evelyn know what she meant:

"I will protect you with my life from anything and everything."

The sight of a face sheared in half with conflicting expressions was one Aria was already familiar with when Evelyn tried to smile in return. It was the same kind of conflict that she'd see back in Tierra among the nobles: the wide smiles that were little more than masks for the disdainful glint in their upstuck eyes. She couldn't stop the frown that formed on her lips before she could school it into a more practiced smile.

"... Already going for a first-name basis with me? I didn't know I earned that much trust in you~"

It was strange hearing the bit of teasing from Aria, but it rapidly disappeared when she turned her head around to the other Dragoons behind them. "Steady up! We're moving out, now!" She called out in a clear voice, just in time for the gates to crack a wide enough gap for the six (plus one) strong group of Tierran cavalry to pass through.

"Forward, Dragoons!"

1691117428824.png

Kharan Countryside - Imperial Calligia
602nd Year of the Old Imperial Era

With the scarred Noringa literally behind them, the band of six Tierran Dragoons and one Espean girl were treated to the morning sun of the Calligian north. The scene was picturesque with its well-trodden path and wild grass waving in imperceptible winds; the golden rays of sunlight with the clearing blue skies made for something of a romantic scene. Shame it was the serving backdrop for a war...

The six Tierran warhorses galloped along the dry dirt path at a steady, but overall slow pace to parts Evelyn wouldn't know. Serendipity was extraordinary in how well he managed to keep himself moving with minimal vertical movement; the special saddle that was tailor-made for Aria ensured that Evelyn didn't so much as jolt in the saddle, let alone bounce or jostle. Aria too seemed totally unaffected by the ride, although that was likely down to her experience riding on horses (especially Serendipity) than anything.

The unenthusiastic smile on Evelyn's face momentarily transformed into a more genuine one. "Sorry, farmer's habit." She chuckled in response. Back in her home town, there was no other basis, than the first name one.

Moving through the gates, outside the city, Evelyn was already starting to feel a bit better. The further they got from the damaged image of Noringa, the better. Cities were already outside the humble farmgirl's comfort zone, and the element of war did little to ease that. Fortunately, with the group moving as steadily forward as they were, Noringa wouldn't stick around in her mind for much longer. Or at least so she hoped.

"Hey..." Aria kept her voice low enough that only Evelyn could hear. "... I mean it; as long as I'm around, I won't let anything bad happen to you. I swear on my name and my life that you'll come back home to your family alive and well."

The amount of fire in Aria's ruby eyes was strangely uplifting when she craned over to look Evelyn in the eye. It was all Aria needed to convey to let Evelyn know what she meant:

"I will protect you with my life from anything and everything."
Evelyn was taken aback by the sudden proclamation. Sure, she knew that Aria was "honour-bound", as she had put it earlier, and such, but still, the question lingered in her mind. Evelyn considered just thanking the Cornet once again, and moving on from the conversation, but her curiosity got the better of her.

"...Why?" She turned her head on the saddle, blue eyes matching Aria's ruby ones for a moment. "Why are you willing to go that far? I'm a stranger to you, and I'm not even from the same part of the world." She asked the Dragoon. Her tone wasn't confrontational, but rather gloomy instead.

sek_cloe.png

Evelyn was taken aback by the sudden proclamation. Sure, she knew that Aria was "honour-bound", as she had put it earlier, and such, but still, the question lingered in her mind. Evelyn considered just thanking the Cornet once again, and moving on from the conversation, but her curiosity got the better of her.

"...Why?" She turned her head on the saddle, blue eyes matching Aria's ruby ones for a moment. "Why are you willing to go that far? I'm a stranger to you, and I'm not even from the same part of the world." She asked the Dragoon. Her tone wasn't confrontational, but rather gloomy instead.

"And why should that stop me from doing what's right?" Aria responded instantly, like she was stating something obvious like "the sky is blue". "You're an innocent person in need; that's reason enough for me. Even without considering your new circumstances, nothing would change. I'd make the same promise as I am right now: I will get you home. I'm not letting this war touch you, or anyone who shouldn't be caught up in all this."

Aria's expression darkened to a dreadful brooding as she let her sentence hang. The things she saw since leaving Tierran shores were... Even the most hardened soil back home would be appalled. She'd never tell Evelyn that the day before she found her, the Dragoon had to witness the execution of Tierran soldiers over a senseless murder of a Calligian girl. It could've easily been any girl... It could've easily been Evelyn...

"This war is ugly and costly to everyone, and the best and worst of humanity is on full display for the world to see. Soldiers pillage, rape, and murder despite the best efforts of people on both sides; innocent lives are ruined and livelihoods are burned to the ground no matter how many times we punish or hang the guilty. It's all injust. How can we claim ourselves on the side of right if we do not take pains to save as many lives as we can?"

"And why should that stop me from doing what's right?" Aria responded instantly, like she was stating something obvious like "the sky is blue". "You're an innocent person in need; that's reason enough for me. Even without considering your new circumstances, nothing would change. I'd make the same promise as I am right now: I will get you home. I'm not letting this war touch you, or anyone who shouldn't be caught up in all this."

Aria's expression darkened to a dreadful brooding as she let her sentence hang. The things she saw since leaving Tierran shores were... Even the most hardened soil back home would be appalled. She'd never tell Evelyn that the day before she found her, the Dragoon had to witness the execution of Tierran soldiers over a senseless murder of a Calligian girl. It could've easily been any girl... It could've easily been Evelyn...

"This war is ugly and costly to everyone, and the best and worst of humanity is on full display for the world to see. Soldiers pillage, rape, and murder despite the best efforts of people on both sides; innocent lives are ruined and livelihoods are burned to the ground no matter how many times we punish or hang the guilty. It's all injust. How can we claim ourselves on the side of right if we do not take pains to save as many lives as we can?"

"...And you suppose that saving one innocent farmgirl makes up for all those atrocities committed in war? It allows your side to claim rightness?" Evelyn retorted, as it felt to her as if she had already been touched by this war, despite only finding out about its existence hours before. Although grateful and touched by Aria's commitment to keeping her safe, Evelyn couldn't merely forget about how involved she was in the war effort.

"What's the difference between their form of unaccepted murder, and your "honourable" and accepted one? Because, I see none..." Evelyn snapped back, her icy gaze narrowing on the cornet. "I fail to see anything even remotely resembling the best of humanity on either side!" Evelyn finished her emotion-filled rant, turning to face towards the front with a deep exhale, her heart rate still racing slightly.

Evelyn had raised the volume of her voice enough to catch the other Dragoon's attentions, but not enough to interpret exactly what was being said. They could only recognize that the white-haired stranger mounted on the cornet's horse was engaging in a heated discussion.

sek_cloe.png

"...And you suppose that saving one innocent farmgirl makes up for all those atrocities committed in war? It allows your side to claim rightness?" Evelyn retorted, as it felt to her as if she had already been touched by this war, despite only finding out about its existence hours before. Although grateful and touched by Aria's commitment to keeping her safe, Evelyn couldn't merely forget about how involved she was in the war effort.

"Should I have left you to die in that alleyway then? You and I both know that no law binded me to save you but a moral one." The biting remark wasn't lost on Aria when she made her low blow. Both girls knew that Aria could've easily just left Evelyn to freeze to death in a corner of Noringa, yet Aria took it upon herself to do so anyways. "Every life we must take, we will with conduct and honor; every life we can save, we must with the will and means we have at our disposal. For every wrong we commit, we must right within the reasons we have at hand. I joined this war for my own reasons, but I'm not going to act like a barbarian while I'm here."

"What's the difference between their form of unaccepted murder, and your "honourable" and accepted one? Because, I see none..." Evelyn snapped back, her icy gaze narrowing on the cornet. "I fail to see anything even remotely resembling the best of humanity on either side!" Evelyn finished her emotion-filled rant, turning to face towards the front with a deep exhale, her heart rate still racing slightly.

"Even the brightest candlelight can't be seen unless it is shrouded in shadows. A world with only light is one where everyone is blind to the darkness under their feet." Aria too had turned her head forward to focus on the road ahead. "It is only amidst the sea of horror and hopelessness that we find virtue and valor shine the brightest. I understand the desire to avert your gaze from the sights of war, but to claim that there is nothing to be found in it all is folly. There are no heroes without slain dragons."

"There are conflicts that cannot be settled with diplomacy alone; there are times where pacifism invites more evil than good. We landed in Calligian soil to end the war they started; creating a peace treaty now would only invite Imperial Calligian to try and invade our shores again later. Until the Imperial throne concedes, they will invade again and again until we are their vassal."

Last edited:

"Should I have left you to die in that alleyway then? You and I both know that no law binded me to save you but a moral one." The biting remark wasn't lost on Aria when she made her low blow. Both girls knew that Aria could've easily just left Evelyn to freeze to death in a corner of Noringa, yet Aria took it upon herself to do so anyways. "Every life we must take, we will with conduct and honor; every life we can save, we must with the will and means we have at our disposal. For every wrong we commit, we must right within the reasons we have at hand."
"And who's to say that one good deed makes up for one inhumane one? You say you kill with conduct and honour, but the end result is the same, is it not?" Evelyn argued back, this time not turning to even look at Aria. To her, something like an honourable duel to the death was no different from a bandit executing an innocent villager. The only differences she saw were the excuses the murderers would have for their actions, such as a "call to duty".

"Even the brightest candlelight can't be seen unless it is shrouded in shadows. A world with only light is one where everyone is blind to the darkness under their feet." Aria too had turned her head forward to focus on the road ahead. "It is only amidst the sea of horror and hopelessness that we find virtue and valor shine the brightest. I understand the desire to avert your gaze from the sights od war, but to claim that there is nothing to be found in it all is folly. There are conflicts that cannot be settled with diplomacy alone; there are times where pacifism invites more evil than good. We landed in Calligian soil to end the war they started; creating a peace treaty now would only invite Imperial Calligian to try and invade our shores again later. Until the Imperial throne concedes, they will invade again and again until we are their vassal."

"Shines only in the shadows? That sounds more like something a soldier would be forced to believe, to justify their own actions! How can you even believe in that when you haven't seen a world without the darkness you speak of?"`The white-haired lady rebutted passionately. Even though Evelyn hadn't originally been looking for a chance to debate and argue with Aria, it had been foolish of her to think that her expression of her thoughts wouldn't lead to such. While some might have considered her point of view as naive, and lacking in experience of the "real world", it was still a belief that she held onto strongly.

sek_cloe.png

"Shines only in the shadows? That sounds more like something a soldier would be forced to believe, to justify their own actions! How can you even believe in that when you haven't seen a world without the darkness you speak of?" The white-haired lady rebutted passionately.

"Because such a world can't exist!" Aria snapped her voice loud enough to jolt the Dragoons and their horses behind her. Even Serendipity looked uneasy with the direction the conversation was going, and he didn't understand a lick of what was going on!

"The only time a light doesn't have shadows is when there is nothing to cast said shadows, Miss Celice. A world without this darkness isn't a world; it's an empty void: a void with no point, no purpose, no reason to exist." Aria's knuckles whitened with the reins in her grasp. "Countless kings and emperors in history tried to rule without raising their hand in anger. All of them lived just long enough to see their kingdoms burn, their people killed, enslaved, or worse. Tierra won't be one of them. Tierra can't."

The next sentence out of Aria was almost impossible to hear, just faint enough to know that Evelyn wasn't meant to hear.

"The only time I saw no shadows... Was when I was blind to the ones haunting my family..."

"Because such a world can't exist!" Aria snapped her voice loud enough to jolt the Dragoons and their horses behind her. Even Serendipity looked uneasy with the direction the conversation was going, and he didn't understand a lick of what was going on!

"The only time a light doesn't have shadows is when there is nothing to cast said shadows, Miss Celice. A world without this darkness isn't a world; it's an empty void: a void with no point, no purpose, no reason to exist." Aria's knuckles whitened with the reins in her grasp. "Countless kings and emperors in history tried to rule without raising their hand in anger. All of them lived just long enough to see their kingdoms burn, their people killed, enslaved, or worse. Tierra won't be one of them. Tierra can't."

The next sentence out of Aria was almost impossible to hear, just faint enough to know that Evelyn wasn't meant to hear.

"The only time I saw no shadows... Was when I was blind to the ones haunting my family..."

Just like the dragoons behind them, Evelyn also flinched slightly from the loud volume coming from the cornet, but refused to let it shake her beliefs. This wasn't something she was going to budge on, ever. With that said, Evelyn had cooled off enough to realize the conversation was just going around in circles. Instead of going along with it like she usually did in the past, this time was different.

"...Let's just watch the road." Evelyn retorted after a clear sigh of frustration, meaning it would most likely be best if the two ladies remained completely silent from here on out. Evelyn just wasn't sure whether she'd be able to keep her cool a second time, when the topic would undoubtedly come up again at a later point. And watch the road, Evelyn did. She didn't expect anything to come out of it, but it would be infinitely better than getting into a shouting match with Aria.

Then something did happen.

From a distance, the crew of Dragoons plus one could a see a single figure quickly approaching on foot. Although Evelyn didn't feel all too threatened, she could notice the others tense up slightly from the approaching person. How much harm could a single person do to six soldiers? What was the worry!

As the figure kept running, and getting closer, their silhouette become more clear. The person was urgently waving both of their hands in the air, running as fast as they could.

Even closer now, the person stopped around ten meters in front of Serendipity, still holding their hands up as a peace offering. A man, somewhere around his mid-thirties, outfitted in a typical farmer's outfit, not so different from Evelyn's in quality. The only abnormality about the outfit was the clean cut on his left upper arm, that stained a part of his sleeve crimson red, most likely delivered by a sharp blade of some sort.

"D-Don't shoot me!" The man stuttered, dropping to his knees in front of the Dragoons, trying to catch his breath from running such a distance. "They... They...!" He pointed to the east, where he had come from. "The bandits! They attacked us while we were trying to move supplies to our camp... they captured most of us, but I managed to escape..." He explained frantically, still out of breath.

"Please, you have to help us! They're being held in the ravine nearby!" He urged, clasping his rough hands together in a motion to essentially beg the soldiers for assistance.

sek_cloe.png

"...Let's just watch the road." Evelyn retorted after a clear sigh of frustration, meaning it would most likely be best if the two ladies remained completely silent from here on out. Evelyn just wasn't sure whether she'd be able to keep her cool a second time, when the topic would undoubtedly come up again at a later point. And watch the road, Evelyn did. She didn't expect anything to come out of it, but it would be infinitely better than getting into a shouting match with Aria.

"..."

The following silence was almost eerie when Evelyn shut the impending argument down. Aria had let out a loud huff from her nose before she distracted herself with scanning the Calligian countryside. It was clear that as a soldier, Aria had a great deal of idealistic faith in how war should be waged and conducted; something niggled at Evelyn that broaching such topics would only invite more arguments. Aria was practically the only person who was willing to give her any time of day...

"Ma'am? There's somebody up the road."

One of the Dragoons, a rank-and-file lad who looked comparatively thin when he pulled his horse up next to the rougher-looking Sergeant Lanzrel. One of his arms was pointed forward further down the road, where a distant shape broke the green grass, dirt road, and blue skies.

From a distance, the crew of Dragoons plus one could a see a single figure quickly approaching on foot. Although Evelyn didn't feel all too threatened, she could notice the others tense up slightly from the approaching person. How much harm could a single person do to six soldiers? What was the worry!

As the figure kept running, and getting closer, their silhouette become more clear. The person was urgently waving both of their hands in the air, running as fast as they could.

Even closer now, the person stopped around ten meters in front of Serendipity, still holding their hands up as a peace offering. A man, somewhere around his mid-thirties, outfitted in a typical farmer's outfit, not so different from Evelyn's in quality. The only abnormality about the outfit was the clean cut on his left upper arm, that stained a part of his sleeve crimson red, most likely delivered by a sharp blade of some sort.

"D-Don't shoot me!" The man stuttered, dropping to his knees in front of the Dragoons, trying to catch his breath from running such a distance. "They... They...!" He pointed to the east, where he had come from. "The bandits! They attacked us while we were trying to move supplies to our camp... they captured most of us, but I managed to escape..." He explained frantically, still out of breath.

"Please, you have to help us! They're being held in the ravine nearby!" He urged, clasping his rough hands together in a motion to essentially beg the soldiers for assistance.

"Sergeant Lanzrel!" Aria wasted no time slipping into her Dragoon persona, halting the six-strong troop with a raised fist and a gentle pull on Serendipity's reins.

The burly NCO with the massive sideburns pulled up next to Aria, his own horse whinnying at the sudden tenderness of the atmosphere "Ma'am!"

"Take Hernandes and scout the area ahead of us; keep yourselves distant and out of sight of anybody if you can. Don't engage or open fire either until I show up or unless a life is in immanent danger! Move!"

"Yes Ma'am! Hernandes! You heard the Boss-Lady; let's go!" The speed of the Dragoons' warhorses were not to be underestimated; the two Dragoons sped off eastward under Aria's orders. The Cornet herself meanwhile had taken control and began to half-question, half-interrogate the panicked man.

"Listen, I need you to tell me everything about what's up ahead: how many people were with you when these bandits attacked; how many bandits did you see; what did these bandits look like and what weapons did they carry." Aria was surprisingly clear despite rapid-firing her questions, and only delivered a sharp whistle when the stranger seemed too addled with anxiety to respond. "Oi! Work with me here! I can't rescue your companions if I don't know what's ahead of us!"

Last edited:

"..."

The following silence was almost eerie when Evelyn shut the impending argument down. Aria had let out a loud huff from her nose before she distracted herself with scanning the Calligian countryside. It was clear that as a soldier, Aria had a great deal of idealistic faith in how war should be waged and conducted; something niggled at Evelyn that broaching such topics would only invite more arguments. Aria was practically the only person who was willing to give her any time of day...

"Ma'am? There's somebody up the road."

One of the Dragoons, a rank-and-file lad who looked comparatively thin when he pulled his horse up next to the rougher-looking Sergeant Lanzrel. One of his arms was pointed forward further down the road, where a distant shape broke the green grass, dirt road, and blue skies.

"Sergeant Lanzrel!" Aria wasted no time slipping into her Dragoon persona, halting the six-strong troop with a raised fist and a gentle pull on Serendipity's reins.

The burly NCO with the massive sideburns pulled up next to Aria, his own horse whinnying at the sudden tenderness of the atmosphere "Ma'am!"

"Take Hernandes and scout the area ahead of us; keep yourselves distant and out of sight of anybody if you can. Don't engage or open fire either until I show up or unless a life is in immanent danger! Move!"

"Yes Ma'am! Hernandes! You heard the Boss-Lady; let's go!" The speed of the Dragoons' warhorses were not to be underestimated; the two Dragoons sped off eastward under Aria's orders. The Cornet herself meanwhile had taken control and began to half-question, half-interrogate the panicked man.

In a blink of an eye, the two Dragoons rode off towards the pointed direction with haste, Evelyn only getting a glance at the dust their horses left behind. Even though the Dragoons clearly outclassed every bandit out there in both training, and equipment, there was surely still a tipping point where sheer manpower would overpower them? At least so Evelyn thought, not even realizing how her fingers grasped the front of her saddle, nervously gripping it as she grew tenser.

"Listen, I need you to tell me everything about what's up ahead: how many people were with you when these bandits attacked; how many bandits did you see; what did these bandits look like and what weapons did they carry." Aria was surprisingly clear despite rapid-firing her questions, and only delivered a sharp whistle when the stranger seemed too addled with anxiety to respond. "Oi! Work with me here! I can't rescue your companions if I don't know what's ahead of us!"

"Err..." The man took a second to compose himself, swallowing nervously. "I think there were about... seven? Maybe six...?" He answered unconfidently, scratching the back of his neck as he tried to remember the equipment the bandits carried. "I think they mostly had daggers and maces... nothing too special?" He answered, glancing at Aria, seemingly to make sure if that answer was satisfactory.

"You can identify them by the dark red bandanas, either on their heads or wrapped around their arms..." He continued, slowly managing to compose himself as he caught up with his breath. "You have to come quickly! They told us that they were going to start killing us one by one, if we didn't give up the location to the rest of our families!" The farmer urged desperately.

"Come on, what are we waiting for!?" Evelyn turned over her shoulder to Aria, shouting a whisper towards the Cornet, her nerves essentially on the same level as the man who had just escaped the clutches of death. She couldn't help but see her own family in the same situation as well. If she had been born in this country, Evelyn could have been in the same exact situation right now.

sek_cloe.png

"Come on, what are we waiting for!?" Evelyn turned over her shoulder to Aria, shouting a whisper towards the Cornet, her nerves essentially on the same level as the man who had just escaped the clutches of death. She couldn't help but see her own family in the same situation as well. If she had been born in this country, Evelyn could have been in the same exact situation right now.

"... Campos: stay here with the gentleman; keep your carbine ready! Rest of you: with me!"

Aria didn't wait for Evelyn to even turn around and ask what she was doing before she spurred Serendipity into a full gallop. Two of the three Dragoons the Cornet still had with her followed her in her full-gallop, the final staying behind with the farmer to guard and escort him the long walk back to the ravine.

Serendipity pounded the trodden dirt road with the fury of a thunderstorm, charging ahead with a speed that beggared belief out of Evelyn. Even the two Dragoons behind her were struggling to keep pace with the massive stallion, their own horses chuffing with overexertion despite their best efforts. Serendipity rode like the wind, and it quickly became apparent that Evelyn struggled to stay in one spot on the saddle. The saddle offered no handhold for Evelyn to hold onto, and the only thing keeping her planted in the saddle was Aria's firm hand holding her by her left shoulder. Thank the gods that Aria was keeping her from falling out; Evelyn likely would've been tossed off by accident the moment Serendipity started his charge.

sek_cloe.png

"... Campos: stay here with the gentleman; keep your carbine ready! Rest of you: with me!"

Aria didn't wait for Evelyn to even turn around and ask what she was doing before she spurred Serendipity into a full gallop. Two of the three Dragoons the Cornet still had with her followed her in her full-gallop, the final staying behind with the farmer to guard and escort him the long walk back to the ravine.

Serendipity pounded the trodden dirt road with the fury of a thunderstorm, charging ahead with a speed that beggared belief out of Evelyn. Even the two Dragoons behind her were struggling to keep pace with the massive stallion, their own horses chuffing with overexertion despite their best efforts. Serendipity rode like the wind, and it quickly became apparent that Evelyn struggled to stay in one spot on the saddle. The saddle offered no handhold for Evelyn to hold onto, and the only thing keeping her planted in the saddle was Aria's firm hand holding her by her left shoulder. Thank the gods that Aria was keeping her from falling out; Evelyn likely would've been tossed off by accident the moment Serendipity started his charge.

Evelyn's eyes went wide with surprise, as she nearly fell off of the saddle with the sudden acceleration. She had expected for Serendipity to be faster than the average horse, the average war horse even, but this quite literally felt like she was flying. Grasping tightly at whatever small crack she could find with her hands on the saddle, she was fortunate to have Aria's hand keeping her steady. Otherwise, even a slight turn of a few angles might send the white-haired girl flying onto the ground.

With the speed they rode, it didn't take long for Evelyn and Aria to spot the gorge the man had mentioned previously. The road was perilous, as steep rocky walls rose on either side of the narrow path, with a less steep drop on their left side to the lowest level of the gorge, a shallow stream slowly moving there.

The squad stopped right before the location they were given, and rendezvoused with the two dragoons sent there to scout beforehand. As they approached to inform Aria about what they had seen, Evelyn was much too caught up in her anxiousness to hear exactly what had been said, only catching snippets of how there were "no sightings of bandits, nor the hostages anywhere in the gorge".

What? How was that possible? Had the bandits moved spots? And taken the farmers with them? It all felt too complex for Evelyn, hoping that Aria would make better sense of the situation. Despite her trust in the Cornet, her mouth was still dry with nerves, praying to the gods that a real conflict wouldn't take place here today.

Last edited:
sek_cloe.png

Evelyn's eyes went wide with surprise, as she nearly fell off of the saddle with the sudden acceleration. She had expected for Serendipity to be faster than the average horse, the average war horse even, but this quite literally felt like she was flying. Grasping tightly at whatever small crack she could find with her hands on the saddle, she was fortunate to have Aria's hand keeping her steady. Otherwise, even a slight turn of a few angles might send the white-haired girl flying onto the ground.

With the speed they rode, it didn't take long for Evelyn and Aria to spot the gorge the man had mentioned previously. The road was perilous, as steep rocky walls rose on either side of the narrow path, with a less steep drop on their left side to the lowest level of the gorge, a shallow stream slowly moving there.

As Aria and her two Dragoons approached the ravine, the Cornet seated behind Evelyn let out a grunt of... disdain? The familiar sight of Sergeant Lanzrel's massive sideburns were at least a welcome indication that Aria didn't send two of her men to die, and her two scouts snapped a sharp salute from atop their horses as Aria pulled to a stop next to them.

"Ma'am!"

"Sergeant, you saw anything?"

The Dragoon NCO shook his head in the negative. "Nay Ma'am; we didn't see a whisper of anything besides carrion and crumbling stone. We didn't press into the ravine itself, but we haven't seen any signs of life. No bootprints or hoofprints along the dirt either." The Sergeant sniffled before spitting at the dirt next to him.

The squad stopped right before the location they were given, and rendezvoused with the two dragoons sent there to scout beforehand. As they approached to inform Aria about what they had seen, Evelyn was much too caught up in her anxiousness to hear exactly what had been said, only catching snippets of how there were "no sightings of bandits, nor the hostages anywhere in the gorge".

What? How was that possible? Had the bandits moved spots? And taken the farmers with them? It all felt too complex for Evelyn, hoping that Aria would make better sense of the situation. Despite her trust in the Cornet, her mouth was still dry with nerves, praying to the gods that a real conflict wouldn't take place here today.

"Hmph... This place reeks of ambush territory, and nothing the farmer's said is correlating with what Sergeant Lanzrel's reported." The low growl from Aria was uncharacteristically dark, but it was quickly forgotten when she let out a quick whistle. "Gather round Dragoons!" She barked, patting Serendipity as a cue to lay down as her soldiers pulled their horses in closer. With Serendipity laying down again, it gave Evelyn a perfect opportunity to get off and stretch her legs, since Aria was using the opportunity to properly arm herself.

"We're likely riding into an ambush, so we're going to trip it on our terms. I want you four to be riding next to the ravine from both sides to sweep it of potential threats." Aria began to explain her plan while she took her sabre from its stowed place to hang on her hip. "Sergeant Lanzrel: I want you and Trooper Hernandes moving along the right side you just came from; Troopers Harloch and Finlay, you're on the left side. I'll be riding into the ravine itself as bait to lure them out."

"Ma'am, that's extremely risky!" One of her Dragoons raised his voice, his wood and steel carbine resting over his shoulder as Aria moved on to holster her flintlock pistol under her coat. "You'll be all alone down there if something happens!"

"That's what I'm counting on to lure any bandits out from hiding: they won't be able to resist a single soldier riding into their ambush alone, especially since I'll appear as a single woman all by her lonesome." The way Aria put it made it sound horribly callous. "That's also why all of you are over the ravine instead of in it with me. If these bandits are half as smart as they think they are, they'll have people on the sides with bows, crossbows, or just rocks to pelt from above. Your job is to weed them out and neutralize them from an approach they won't be expecting; you'll also be able to lay down overwatch fire from above once you've cleared out your side." Aria was now standing fully armed with her weapons and shield; her black powder carbine in one hand and her oversized shield in the other. "Gear up Dragoons! We're gonna walk into hostile territory and show them how it's done!"

As her Dragoons began drawing their carbines and sabres for battle, Aria turned to Evelyn. "As for you: you're getting off and joining Sergeant Lanzrel on his horse."

Last edited:

As Aria and her two Dragoons approached the ravine, the Cornet seated behind Evelyn let out a grunt of... disdain? The familiar sight of Sergeant Lanzrel's massive sideburns were at least a welcome indication that Aria didn't send two of her men to die, and her two scouts snapped a sharp salute from atop their horses as Aria pulled to a stop next to them.

"Ma'am!"

"Sergeant, you saw anything?"

The Dragoon NCO shook his head in the negative. "Nay Ma'am; we didn't see a whisper of anything besides carrion and crumbling stone. We didn't press into the ravine itself, but we haven't seen any signs of life. No bootprints or hoofprints along the dirt either." The Sergeant sniffled before spitting at the dirt next to him.

"Hmph... This place reeks of ambush territory, and nothing the farmer's said is correlating with what Sergeant Lanzrel's reported." The low growl from Aria was uncharacteristically dark, but it was quickly forgotten when she let out a quick whistle. "Gather round Dragoons!" She barked, patting Serendipity as a cue to lay down as her soldiers pulled their horses in closer. With Serendipity laying down again, it gave Evelyn a perfect opportunity to get off and stretch her legs, since Aria was using the opportunity to properly arm herself.

"We're likely riding into an ambush, so we're going to trip it on our terms. I want you four to be riding next to the ravine from both sides to sweep it of potential threats." Aria began to explain her plan while she took her sabre from its stowed place to hang on her hip. "Sergeant Lanzrel: I want you and Trooper Hernandes moving along the right side you just came from; Troopers Harloch and Finlay, you're on the left side. I'll be riding into the ravine itself as bait to lure them out."

With great confusion, Evelyn tried her best to follow what was happening. All she knew was that something drastic was going to happen, very soon, and she didn't want to be caught up in the middle of it.

As Serendipity laid down, Evelyn took the cue to dismount the horse. She curiously took in Aria's short, yet impactful instructions to the other Dragoons, who seemed to have no second doubts about the plan moving forward. Everyone had their position, instructions and objectives handed to them in a clear-cut way. Everyone but Evelyn.

With that in mind, she just silently watched as the troops positioned and reorganized around her, moving as if one, singular person.
"Ma'am, that's extremely risky!" One of her Dragoons raised his voice, his wood and steel carbine resting over his shoulder as Aria moved on to holster her flintlock pistol under her coat. "You'll be all alone down there if something happens!"

"That's what I'm counting on to lure any bandits out from hiding: they won't be able to resist a single soldier riding into their ambush alone, especially since I'll appear as a single woman all by her lonesome." The way Aria put it made it sound horribly callous. "That's also why all of you are over the ravine instead of in it with me. If these bandits are half as smart as they think they are, they'll have people on the sides with bows, crossbows, or just rocks to pelt from above. Your job is to weed them out and neutralize them from an approach they won't be expecting; you'll also be able to lay down overwatch fire from above once you've cleared out your side." Aria was now standing fully armed with her weapons and shield; her black powder carbine in one hand and her oversized shield in the other. "Gear up Dragoons! We're gonna walk into hostile territory and show them how it's done!"

A slight anxiety crept up on Evelyn. Sure, she didn't know much about battle strategy, or rather, anything at all, but the idea still felt dangerous to her. Walking alone into an ambush filled with scary bandits? What if Aria got hurt? Surely there had to be a safer way to go about this!

As the Dragoons drew their weapons, ready for conflict, the realization that should have been much more obvious from the start finally hit Evelyn. This wasn't going to be a peaceful surrender. No, this was going to be a battle.

A battle conducted with swords, guns, and whatever cruel tools of violence the two sides had their hands on. And participants were going to inevitably get injured, or worse, killed. Evelyn's fingers trembled with that possibility in mind. But she couldn't stop them either, this was bound to happen. Aria had clearly set her mind to it already, and she doubted that the bandits would be letting the issue go either, just like that.
As her Dragoons began drawing their carbines and sabres for battle, Aria turned to Evelyn. "As for you: you're getting off and joining Sergeant Lanzrel on his horse."

"O-Okay." Evelyn couldn't reply with much more, as she worried that her voice would give expose her nervousness in the situation. Long gone was the confidence that she had wielded in her argument against Aria, and the white-haired lady was reduced to a silent observer, shaking in her ragged boots.

With a quick scan of the Dragoons, Evelyn spotted the appointed Sergeant, recognizing the tall man by his highly noticeable sideburns if nothing else. The farmgirl quickly jogged up to the sergeant's horse, greeted the man with a quick bow of the head.

Fortunately for Evelyn, the saddle on Sergeant Lanzrel's charger was much larger due to his own size compared to Aria, and Evelyn could fairly comfortably fit behind the taller man. Despite not saying it, she did feel slightly bad for the man, being forced to carry around some stranger on his horse, but Evelyn couldn't really complain. There was no way she would be even remotely safe, if she were to be left on foot in the upcoming altercation.

sek_cloe.png

"O-Okay." Evelyn couldn't reply with much more, as she worried that her voice would give expose her nervousness in the situation. Long gone was the confidence that she had wielded in her argument against Aria, and the white-haired lady was reduced to a silent observer, shaking in her ragged boots.

Aria's heart rang with a hollow pang of guilt at seeing Evelyn withdraw into herself; the poor girl was obviously unused to the idea of bloodshed, let alone potentially being a firsthand witness to the terrible rages of war. If Aria had any better options for Evelyn, she would've taken it, but she couldn't in any mind leave Evelyn unattended in an active warzone. Coming along might've been the Espean girl's idea, but her safety was Aria's responsibility...

... But she couldn't worry about such things, not when she was about to ride into a den of wolves. She spared Evelyn one last glance of concern before she swiftly mounted Serendipity, the untold cue for her Dragoons to begin moving to their positions.

With a quick scan of the Dragoons, Evelyn spotted the appointed Sergeant, recognizing the tall man by his highly noticeable sideburns if nothing else. The farmgirl quickly jogged up to the sergeant's horse, greeted the man with a quick bow of the head.

Fortunately for Evelyn, the saddle on Sergeant Lanzrel's charger was much larger due to his own size compared to Aria, and Evelyn could fairly comfortably fit behind the taller man. Despite not saying it, she did feel slightly bad for the man, being forced to carry around some stranger on his horse, but Evelyn couldn't really complain. There was no way she would be even remotely safe, if she were to be left on foot in the upcoming altercation.

"Hope you don't mind my churlish self, Lassie. It's going to be messy from here on out." Sergeant Lanzrel's rough baritone was unused to attempts at being gentle or soothing, but his attempts at being soft-spoken to Evelyn was nonetheless out of gentlemanly sense. The man was more broad and burly than Aria, making it damn near impossible for Evelyn to see over or around the man. Not that she'd likely want to given what was about to happen.

"Sergeant: Cornet Brakava's moving into the gorge."

"That's our que then Hernandes, let's keep a good distance behind her; we don't want to tip our presence until we have to." The brown stallion Lanzrel and Evelyn were on was nowhere near as impressive as Serendipity, but it was still a fine horse to be on as Lanzrel snapped the reins. "C'mon Thunderer, let's move!"

The two Dragoons -plus Evelyn- this began their part of Aria's battle plan at a slow trot. From Evelyn's angle, she could see the faint silhouettes of the other two Dragoons marching on the other end of the gorge, though the distance made it surprisingly hard to differentiate them from the rest of the scenery. All four Dragoons had their black powder firearms and shields out; Lanzrel's hulking blunderbuss intimidating to just look at as its wielder kept a sharp eye out for-

"Stay quiet..." Lanzrel suddenly pulled on his horse's reins. "I see some shapes crouched further ahead... They're near the gorge's edge..." The way Lanzrel raised his blunderbuss in anticipation didn't inspire Evelyn that a peaceful resolution was on the horizon...

Meanwhile with Aria...
The gorge was the ideal place for an ambush, something Aria didn't like in the slightest as Serendipity galloped down the lonely road down. The rock walls were erratically shaped like stormy waves, curving and bumping in ways that made for natural foxholes and hiding spots for someone to jump out of at any given moment. The long drop on Aria's left also meant that death was constantly nearby, waiting to greet her should she and Serendipity unfortunately fall over the left.

Only more reason that Aria kept a white-knuckled grip on her shield and carbine...

It was when Aria was nearly at the bottom of the gorge that she finally encountered someone that was decidedly unfriendly.

The man was similarly dressed to the farmer that Aria had left behind on the road with one of her Dragoons, a frayed tunic and trousers along with shoes that had seen better days. He was waving his arms with wild abandon, but the fact that he wasn't running towards Aria or even putting much thought into his facial expression clued her in to the man's identity.

The bandit attempting to hide within a dead bush with his bow also didn't help much for the act. Aria was a better actress than their poor illusion.

When Aria pulled Serendipity to a halt in front of the disguised bandit, she made sure to look amateurish and clumsy when she dismounted. She had to sell the image of some young doe who was in over her head; her eyes wider to portray that sense of childish innocence you'd only find in young (and stupid) recruits who had romanticized views of the army. She kept her grips on her shield and carbine tight, ready to be raised and fired in a blink should anything happen; hopefully these bandits wouldn't be attentive enough to notice that she was secretly scanning the gorge for hidden bandits.

"I'm... I'm here! Corne-Corny? Cornet Aria at your service! You're safe now that I'm here!" She said with a couple of loud huffs. Sucker them in completely; make the bandits come out of hiding at the sight of easy prey before she struck. "Th-The Troop Captain told me to go ahead and find the hostages before they get here! Are-are you okay?"

"Hope you don't mind my churlish self, Lassie. It's going to be messy from here on out." Sergeant Lanzrel's rough baritone was unused to attempts at being gentle or soothing, but his attempts at being soft-spoken to Evelyn was nonetheless out of gentlemanly sense. The man was more broad and burly than Aria, making it damn near impossible for Evelyn to see over or around the man. Not that she'd likely want to given what was about to happen.

"Sergeant: Cornet Brakava's moving into the gorge."

"That's our que then Hernandes, let's keep a good distance behind her; we don't want to tip our presence until we have to." The brown stallion Lanzrel and Evelyn were on was nowhere near as impressive as Serendipity, but it was still a fine horse to be on as Lanzrel snapped the reins. "C'mon Thunderer, let's move!"

The two Dragoons -plus Evelyn- this began their part of Aria's battle plan at a slow trot. From Evelyn's angle, she could see the faint silhouettes of the other two Dragoons marching on the other end of the gorge, though the distance made it surprisingly hard to differentiate them from the rest of the scenery. All four Dragoons had their black powder firearms and shields out; Lanzrel's hulking blunderbuss intimidating to just look at as its wielder kept a sharp eye out for-
"Ah, right..." Evelyn could barely even form a sentence to respond, as her heart felt like it had leapt all the way up into her throat, blocking all outgoing communication. Not to mention the sergeant's fairly lacklustre attempts at soothing her nerves, which only made the white-haired lady feel more anxious. A "mess" is what she most wanted to avoid.

As the sergeant's horse trotted forward, Evelyn merely prayed that any harm could and would be avoided today. Seeing how the Dragoons were readying their weapons in advance didn't give her much hope on that front.
"Stay quiet..." Lanzrel suddenly pulled on his horse's reins. "I see some shapes crouched further ahead... They're near the gorge's edge..." The way Lanzrel raised his blunderbuss in anticipation didn't inspire Evelyn that a peaceful resolution was on the horizon...
Once given the instruction, Evelyn nearly stopped breathing for a moment. She squinted her eyes slightly, focusing in on the crouched shapes pointed out to her. An ambush, just like Aria had suspected.

Out of the corner of her eye, the Espean could see the barrel of the massive gun rise, ready to blast away at any threat might rise. Evelyn didn't know much about weapons, but based on the sheer size of the gun, she surmised that being on the opposite side of that barrel would leave you without much chance to survive.

"Ar-Aria will be alright, won't she...?"
Evelyn whispered in a flurry of emotions, going against the order to stay quiet while the battle was yet to start. Even though deep inside, she knew that the other Dragoons couldn't realistically give her a full, hundred percent guarantee, she'd settle for anything at this point.

sek_cloe.png

Out of the corner of her eye, the Espean could see the barrel of the massive gun rise, ready to blast away at any threat might rise. Evelyn didn't know much about weapons, but based on the sheer size of the gun, she surmised that being on the opposite side of that barrel would leave you without much chance to survive.

"Ar-Aria will be alright, won't she...?" Evelyn whispered in a flurry of emotions, going against the order to stay quiet while the battle was yet to start. Even though deep inside, she knew that the other Dragoons couldn't realistically give her a full, hundred percent guarantee, she'd settle for anything at this point.

Evelyn's question went completely unanswered by Aria's Sergeant; either the burly man didn't hear Evelyn or he chose to ignore her question with the nature of the situation. The air was becoming thick with unchecked tension, one that was starting to affect everyone involved. The bandits perched on the gorge's edge, blissfully unaware of their impending danger, merely observed what looked like an easy mug and kidnapping... The Dragoons behind them were waiting for the prime opportunity to send them to hell.

Suddenly, a loud, piercing *CRACK* thundered out from inside the gorge. Two bandits up atop the side stood up to peer down at what could've possibly made that noise...

Two bandits were then promptly annihilated at the press of a trigger.

The Dragoons from the other side had shot first, their aim true enough to send two bodies falling into the gorge. The noise prompted every other bandit that wasn't inside the gorge itself to jump up and turn around in surprise. One or two had the good thinking to at least draw their bows and try to fire back, but by then it has already been too late.

The blunderbuss in Sergeant Lanzrel's hands was a crude and ugly thing, hewn from steel and wood into a thuggish, almost criminal form. Unlike the sharp staccato of the Dragoons' Carbine, the blunderbuss roared and shrieked with unholy rage. Two men were eviscerated on the spot from hot shrapnel and dropped uselessly clutching their innards; they would die in moments as their insides became exposed to the Calligian sun. A third bandit was less fortunate, his throat torn into a gory mess from stray shrapnel. He would end up drowning in his own blood, his gurgling noises nauseating to even the most hardened soldier (let alone someone like Evelyn).

The battle was practically over just as it had begun. What bandits survived from the Dragoons' ambush either threw down their weapons to run or weakly attempted to fight back with flimsy bows and stones. All of them were eradicated like rats after a second volley from the Dragoons, lying on the dirt and grass bleeding a slow and agonizing death or mercifully killed on the spot. Meanwhile, the only thing the Dragoons had to show was a scuff mark on one Dragoon's shield: a pitiable attempt at fighting back from the dregs of society.

Evelyn was almost deaf from the resounding roar of Lanzrel's blunderbuss when he barked out. "Come on then! Let's get stuck in and help the Cornet!" His shout was met with steely focus and newfound confidence; all four Dragoons cantered to the edge of the gorge with their rifled muskets ready to support their Officer-Lady...

... But it turned out Aria didn't need any help.

Meanwhile with Aria...
Lady Aria d'al Brakava considered herself many things: stalwart, courageous, kind, and elegant, to name a few. Today, she was adding "violent" to the vocabulary with which to describe her.

She wasn't sure how things had escalated. Things seemed to be according to plan when the pitifully-disguised bandit tried to lead her deeper into the gorge, likely with the intent on surrounding her before enacting whatever it was they had in mind for a young woman (frankly, Aria didn't want to give them any time in her mind over what they would've done to her unchallenged). It was when the bandits thought they had completely cut off her escape that they dropped the act and surrounded her, rusted axes and knives drawn to try and intimidate her into surrendering. Their crude hollering and yelling at her childish form and what they were going to do to her only added to their barbarism; many boasting what they did to prior victims in some misplaced attempts at fear-mongering. Aria had enough.

The polished edge of her bayonet gleamed in the sun as Aria drew it up with her dominant hand. Calligians as a whole were still entirely unused to the concept of black powder weapons, so they stood and gawped like idiots when Aria pulled the trigger on the poorly-disguised bandit.

*CRACK*

The man's head blossomed open in a gory shower of blood and giblets, painting the ground around him with red as he dropped to the ground with a heavy thump. The speed and violence had snapped his compatriots out of their bravado, just in time for Aria to lunge forward and impale another bandit to the ground with her bayonet.

Two bandits dead in five seconds. Five more bandits to go. Thankfully Serendipity had moved away from the action, meaning Aria was completely free to fight.

Leaving the carbine to conspicuously stick out of an impaled bandit, Aria pulled her sabre out in one smooth draw. The blackened steel edge rang with a haunting hum when it came out of the sheathe, giving her some degree of sick glee when she noticed her quarry hesitating at the sight and sound.

Good: they should be afraid of her. They were robbers, rapists, and murderers all the same; they deserved nothing but death.

With the elements of surprise, speed, and violence, Aria threw herself into a melee that she was assured victory of. Her sabre and shield were in perfect harmony attacking and defending. Every successive slash tinted her sabre with more blood; every bash with her shield coated its edge with more red; every merciless stomp on a knee or broken leg was met with an agonizing scream that was music to her bloodthirsty senses.

Block, stab, slash, move on. Parry, bash, skewer through the neck, move on. Dodge, slash, kick in the knew, bash until dead, move on.

By the time Aria's fellow Dragoons had cleaned up their side and rode to her assistance, she had mostly cleared the gorge out by her lonesome. Only two were left desperately trying to maintain some measure of numerical advantage against Aria, attacking with equal parts stupidity and stubbornness that only arose when someone had little to lose.

From Evelyn's perch atop Lanzrel's horse, Aria had stopped being the kindly savior that cared for her like a sister... She was a demon in the midst of her massacre.

Last edited:

Evelyn's question went completely unanswered by Aria's Sergeant; either the burly man didn't hear Evelyn or he chose to ignore her question with the nature of the situation. The air was becoming thick with unchecked tension, one that was starting to affect everyone involved. The bandits perched on the gorge's edge, blissfully unaware of their impending danger, merely observed what looked like an easy mug and kidnapping... The Dragoons behind them were waiting for the prime opportunity to send them to hell.

Suddenly, a loud, piercing *CRACK* thundered out from inside the gorge. Two bandits up atop the side stood up to peer down at what could've possibly made that noise...

Two bandits were then promptly annihilated at the press of a trigger.

The Dragoons from the other side had shot first, their aim true enough to send two bodies falling into the gorge. The noise prompted every other bandit that wasn't inside the gorge itself to jump up and turn around in surprise. One or two had the good thinking to at least draw their bows and try to fire back, but by then it has already been too late.

The blunderbuss in Sergeant Lanzrel's hands was a crude and ugly thing, hewn from steel and wood into a thuggish, almost criminal form. Unlike the sharp staccato of the Dragoons' Carbine, the blunderbuss roared and shrieked with unholy rage. Two men were eviscerated on the spot from hot shrapnel and dropped uselessly clutching their innards; they would die in moments as their insides became exposed to the Calligian sun. A third bandit was less fortunate, his throat torn into a gory mess from stray shrapnel. He would end up drowning in his own blood, his gurgling noises nauseating to even the most hardened soldier (let alone someone like Evelyn).

The battle was practically over just as it had begun. What bandits survived from the Dragoons' ambush either threw down their weapons to run or weakly attempted to fight back with flimsy bows and stones. All of them were eradicated like rats after a second volley from the Dragoons, lying on the dirt and grass bleeding a slow and agonizing death or mercifully killed on the spot. Meanwhile, the only thing the Dragoons had to show was a scuff mark on one Dragoon's shield: a pitiable attempt at fighting back from the dregs of society.

Evelyn was almost deaf from the resounding roar of Lanzrel's blunderbuss when he barked out. "Come on then! Let's get stuck in and help the Cornet!" His shout was met with steely focus and newfound confidence; all four Dragoons cantered to the edge of the gorge with their rifled muskets ready to support their Officer-Lady...

... But it turned out Aria didn't need any help.
As the combat began without much announcement, Evelyn was more than unprepared for what she was about to witness. The first shot that was fired, she did not witness, as it came from inside the gorge. The second one, she wished for the same. The white-haired farmer's breath was taken away when she saw the first spill of blood, with a well-aimed shot from Sergeant Lanzrel's weapon of choice.

The shape the sergeant's shot left the bandits in was indescribable to Evelyn. It was much like something she would see during a stressful nightmare, something so gruesome and inhuman that it wasn't true to life. This, however, was unfortunately as real as it got.

Blood and guts fell to the ground where the men had previously stood, pained screams and gurgles of suffering replaced their high-spirited shouting. It was sick. Much like how Evelyn's heart had jumped to her throat earlier from her nerves, now the stew from earlier that morning was making its way upwards as well.

A horrified glance downwards into the gorge below, and she saw more of the same, except this time it was Aria dishing out the acts of violence. Who Evelyn had initially seen as her guardian angel, was now looking much less like an angel, and more like a demon in human disguise. A demon with no issues taking human lives as if it was second nature.

Unable to take in any more of the gruesome sight, Evelyn dismounted the sergeant's horse, and rushed off into the opposite direction from the battleground. There was no sense of direction in the girl's mind, as heading into the opposite direction from the scene was the only call she could make.

Even though she heard the sergeant call out to her, he could not chase her just yet, as there was still a battle going on which he could not abandon.

Evelyn didn't get far, as her hand clasped in front of her mouth wasn't enough protection to keep her breakfast in. The shocked witness to the battle fell to her knees, and let it all go onto the ground below her, breathing heavily afterwards, her teary eyes now bloodshot, and her breathing heavy.

Lady Aria d'al Brakava considered herself many things: stalwart, courageous, kind, and elegant, to name a few. Today, she was adding "violent" to the vocabulary with which to describe her.

She wasn't sure how things had escalated. Things seemed to be according to plan when the pitifully-disguised bandit tried to lead her deeper into the gorge, likely with the intent on surrounding her before enacting whatever it was they had in mind for a young woman (frankly, Aria didn't want to give them any time in her mind over what they would've done to her unchallenged). It was when the bandits thought they had completely cut off her escape that they dropped the act and surrounded her, rusted axes and knives drawn to try and intimidate her into surrendering. Their crude hollering and yelling at her childish form and what they were going to do to her only added to their barbarism; many boasting what they did to prior victims in some misplaced attempts at fear-mongering. Aria had enough.

The polished edge of her bayonet gleamed in the sun as Aria drew it up with her dominant hand. Calligians as a whole were still entirely unused to the concept of black powder weapons, so they stood and gawped like idiots when Aria pulled the trigger on the poorly-disguised bandit.

*CRACK*

The man's head blossomed open in a gory shower of blood and giblets, painting the ground around him with red as he dropped to the ground with a heavy thump. The speed and violence had snapped his compatriots out of their bravado, just in time for Aria to lunge forward and impale another bandit to the ground with her bayonet.

Two bandits dead in five seconds. Five more bandits to go. Thankfully Serendipity had moved away from the action, meaning Aria was completely free to fight.

Leaving the carbine to conspicuously stick out of an impaled bandit, Aria pulled her sabre out in one smooth draw. The blackened steel edge rang with a haunting hum when it came out of the sheathe, giving her some degree of sick glee when she noticed her quarry hesitating at the sight and sound.

Good: they should be afraid of her. They were robbers, rapists, and murderers all the same; they deserved nothing but death.

With the elements of surprise, speed, and violence, Aria threw herself into a melee that she was assured victory of. Her sabre and shield were in perfect harmony attacking and defending. Every successive slash tinted her sabre with more blood; every bash with her shield coated its edge with more red; every merciless stomp on a knee or broken leg was met with an agonizing scream that was music to her bloodthirsty senses.

Block, stab, slash, move on. Parry, bash, skewer through the neck, move on. Dodge, slash, kick in the knew, bash until dead, move on.

By the time Aria's fellow Dragoons had cleaned up their side and rode to her assistance, she had mostly cleared the gorge out by her lonesome. Only two were left desperately trying to maintain some measure of numerical advantage against Aria, attacking with equal parts stupidity and stubbornness that only arose when someone had little to lose.

From Evelyn's perch atop Lanzrel's horse, Aria had stopped being the kindly savior that cared for her like a sister... She was a demon in the midst of her massacre.

The two bandits faced against Aria did their best, but quickly came to the realization that they could not best Aria in combat. Even in the unlikely scenario that they could, they would still be gunned down afterwards, much like the rest of their group had been by the other Dragoons.

With no regard left for his own life, one of the bandits charged at Aria, in a desperate last attempt to flank and overpower the Cornet with a two-against-one manoeuvre. Those hopes were quickly thwarted as the other bandit took off into a sprint away from the gorge, ducking and weaving as he did he best to dodge incoming gunfire.

The cowardly bandit kept on running, an easily visible trail of blood following him from the cuts and grazes he had already received from Aria. That was until he came across someone he could best in combat.

"Huh...?" Evelyn raised her head to see the stranger in front of him, not right away even registering her imminent danger, until it was almost too late.

The bandit, seeing the easy target in Evelyn right front of him, lunged straight towards the white-haired girl. He slashed towards her face with a small dagger, managing to score a superficial cut on Evelyn's cheek, as the girl scrambled backwards in panic. Trickles of crimson blood flew through the air, while the ambusher continued to attack without rest.

Evelyn's attempts were quickly halted as the bandit pounced on top of the girl, pinning her down on the ground. The man raised his arms towards the sky, winding up to strike directly downwards.

This was it. She was going to die here. Just like that. All she needed to do was to close her eyes, and let the dagger sink into her chest, and drift away. Any second now...

*CRACK*

Another loud gunshot, this time much closer. The sound was followed by a wet splash of blood spilling onto the Espean's face, coating her expression of fear in crimson and painting streaks of colour into her white hair.
As she looked up, she could see a hole in the bandit's chest where there previously hadn't been any. The dagger had already fallen from his weak grip onto the ground, and the two made eye contact. Evelyn's horrified stare saw how the life quickly left the man's eyes, as he fell to the side, no longer breathing.

She did not see who took the shot, nor did she even care. Evelyn had just witnessed death, and she would never, ever forget it.

sek_cloe.png

As the combat began without much announcement, Evelyn was more than unprepared for what she was about to witness. The first shot that was fired, she did not witness, as it came from inside the gorge. The second one, she wished for the same. The white-haired farmer's breath was taken away when she saw the first spill of blood, with a well-aimed shot from Sergeant Lanzrel's weapon of choice.

The shape the sergeant's shot left the bandits in was indescribable to Evelyn. It was much like something she would see during a stressful nightmare, something so gruesome and inhuman that it wasn't true to life. This, however, was unfortunately as real as it got.

Blood and guts fell to the ground where the men had previously stood, pained screams and gurgles of suffering replaced their high-spirited shouting. It was sick. Much like how Evelyn's heart had jumped to her throat earlier from her nerves, now the stew from earlier that morning was making its way upwards as well.

A horrified glance downwards into the gorge below, and she saw more of the same, except this time it was Aria dishing out the acts of violence. Who Evelyn had initially seen as her guardian angel, was now looking much less like an angel, and more like a demon in human disguise. A demon with no issues taking human lives as if it was second nature.

Unable to take in any more of the gruesome sight, Evelyn dismounted the sergeant's horse, and rushed off into the opposite direction from the battleground. There was no sense of direction in the girl's mind, as heading into the opposite direction from the scene was the only call she could make.

Even though she heard the sergeant call out to her, he could not chase her just yet, as there was still a battle going on which he could not abandon.

"Oi! Where are you- Damn it!" The foul curse from Sergeant Lanzrel's mouth had hardly gone noticed as the small patrol of Dragoons attempted to fire at the fleeing bandit. The Dragoons were tried and true marksmen atop horseback, but the cowardly bastard was slippery in his panicked flight; every shot seemed to merely graze instead of decisively strike, making the Dragoons wonder if they should give chase or stay out to keep an eye out.

The two bandits faced against Aria did their best, but quickly came to the realization that they could not best Aria in combat. Even in the unlikely scenario that they could, they would still be gunned down afterwards, much like the rest of their group had been by the other Dragoons.

With no regard left for his own life, one of the bandits charged at Aria, in a desperate last attempt to flank and overpower the Cornet with a two-against-one manoeuvre. Those hopes were quickly thwarted as the other bandit took off into a sprint away from the gorge, ducking and weaving as he did he best to dodge incoming gunfire.

The cowardly bandit kept on running, an easily visible trail of blood following him from the cuts and grazes he had already received from Aria. That was until he came across someone he could best in combat.

"Tenacious. Stupid, but tenacious all the same." That was the conclusion Aria came to as she easily batted aside the bandit's chipped axe with a casual swing of her shield. The screech of rusted steel on hardened steel was grating on the ears, but Aria's easy parry was rewarded when she saw the axe go flying away from the mugger's hand. She didn't even give him a moment to process his fate, her sabre lashing out and removing the man's throat.
"Oi! Where are you- Damn it!"

Damn it; that didn't sound good.

Aria gave chase the instant she was done with the last bandit that was resisting, only slowing down to sheathe her sabre and pull her carbine out from atop a dead bandit's torso before resuming her dead sprint after the last bandit. She could hear the familiar crack and bang of her fellow Dragoons attempting to shoot down the runner, Aria herself frantically going through the paces of pouring powder and shot in her flintlock for a shot of her own. She didn't know at first what the hell was going on or why her Sergeant shouted, but she was about to figure out why very quickly.

"Huh...?" Evelyn raised her head to see the stranger in front of him, not right away even registering her imminent danger, until it was almost too late.

The bandit, seeing the easy target in Evelyn right front of him, lunged straight towards the white-haired girl. He slashed towards her face with a small dagger, managing to score a superficial cut on Evelyn's cheek, as the girl scrambled backwards in panic. Trickles of crimson blood flew through the air, while the ambusher continued to attack without rest.

Evelyn's attempts were quickly halted as the bandit pounced on top of the girl, pinning her down on the ground. The man raised his arms towards the sky, winding up to strike directly downwards.

This was it. She was going to die here. Just like that. All she needed to do was to close her eyes, and let the dagger sink into her chest, and drift away. Any second now...

When she found out just who Lanzrel had called out to, the Cornet's blood ran cold. Now she understood why Lanzrel had shouted: Evelyn had run off from the battle, and now she was about to become a victim of one desperate bandit because she couldn't stay put with company she could trust with her life.

Evelyn was going to die...

Aria dropped the carbine and shield in her hands. She wouldn't have time to finish loading her rifled carbine; Evelyn would be long dead before she'd be able to intervene with it. No use for her shield either, or her sabre.

Evelyn was going to die...

Her hand raced to her back, where she kept her backup pistol holstered for emergencies. The small piece of polished wood and steel felt immediately familiar to her, and she whipped its business end at the last remaining bandit.

Evelyn wasn't going to die.

Aria had always been proud of her marksmanship, and even though she was in a dead sprint, her hand snapped the flintlock towards the person she wanted dead. Her aim was true, and moments before the bandit could deliver the fatal blow, Aria pulled the trigger.

*CRACK*

Another loud gunshot, this time much closer. The sound was followed by a wet splash of blood spilling onto the Espean's face, coating her expression of fear in crimson and painting streaks of colour into her white hair.
As she looked up, she could see a hole in the bandit's chest where there previously hadn't been any. The dagger had already fallen from his weak grip onto the ground, and the two made eye contact. Evelyn's horrified stare saw how the life quickly left the man's eyes, as he fell to the side, no longer breathing...

... That had been too close for comfort.

The smoke whistling from her pistol was the only evidence that Aria had been Evelyn's savior, ignoring the conspicuous flecks of blood staining her coat and gloves. Her face, normally smiling and gentle towards Evelyn, was now twisted in a stern frown and narrowed eyes towards the last bandit she had shot dead. That dirty look quickly turned to Evelyn though, since Aria had more than a few things to say.

"What in the hells were you thinking!?" The frustration in was palpable as Aria raised her voice at Evelyn. "Running off like that; you could've been killed or worse had I been a moment slower!"
She was crouched in front of Evelyn the smouldering anger in her ruby eyes was terrifying, like a predator staring down fresh meat to tear apart. Evelyn's clouded judgement refused to let the Espean ignore the blood coating Aria's hands and sleeves; the wisps of smoke still leaving the pistol in her hands made the sight almost nauseating.

Aria killed those bandit without a second thought with that same pistol. All of the Dragoons killed the bandits without hesitation. Nobody demanded surrender, or offered mercy; Aria had gone in seeking violence from the start...

... And the scariest part was that Aria seemed so unbothered about it.

Last edited:

... That had been too close for comfort.

The smoke whistling from her pistol was the only evidence that Aria had been Evelyn's savior, ignoring the conspicuous flecks of blood staining her coat and gloves. Her face, normally smiling and gentle towards Evelyn, was now twisted in a stern frown and narrowed eyes towards the last bandit she had shot dead. That dirty look quickly turned to Evelyn though, since Aria had more than a few things to say.

"What in the hells were you thinking!?" The frustration in was palpable as Aria raised her voice at Evelyn. "Running off like that; you could've been killed or worse had I been a moment slower!"
She was crouched in front of Evelyn the smouldering anger in her ruby eyes was terrifying, like a predator staring down fresh meat to tear apart. Evelyn's clouded judgement refused to let the Espean ignore the blood coating Aria's hands and sleeves; the wisps of smoke still leaving the pistol in her hands made the sight almost nauseating.

Aria killed those bandit without a second thought with that same pistol. All of the Dragoons killed the bandits without hesitation. Nobody demanded surrender, or offered mercy; Aria had gone in seeking violence from the start...

... And the scariest part was that Aria seemed so unbothered about it.
Evelyn did not respond to Aria's rage, as her blank stare just lingered on Dragoon, or rather, on the blood coating her armour. The same kind of crimson mess Evelyn had yet to even wipe off of her own face yet, painting most of her pale skin red.

Ignoring Aria even further, the Espean slowly turned her head to the side, where the bandit was lying dead. The bandit that had run, so eager to save his own life, and simultaneously, take Evelyn's in the process. Now, he was dead. No chance to surrender, to beg for forgiveness, to fix his wrongdoings. All taken away in a flash of an eye, with an unsympathetic pull of the trigger.

Still soaked in blood from her white hair, down to her neck, Evelyn stood up to sit on the ground, only now realizing how her hands were shaking nearly uncontrollably. A mix of fear, adrenaline, as well as a burning guilt from having the man's blood on her, both in a figurative, and literal meaning.

Even though Aria had been the one to deliver the final blow, Evelyn felt as if it had been her hand on the grip of the pistol. Maybe things would have gone differently had she not been in danger like this. She was now responsible for a life lost.

To the white-haired mage, there was no longer much difference between Aria, and herself, when it came to murder.

It was all so confusing, scary and... cold.

Aria could notice the farmgirl's heavy breaths were creating visible puffs of fog from her lips, as if it were wintertime outside. Not only could she see it, but she could also feel it. There was a chill wind emanating from the girl, as she was radiating with a nearly shiver-inducing atmosphere.

If she were to be seen like this by the other dragoons, surely more questions would arise, so it was up to Aria to try to defuse the situation somehow.

sek_cloe.png

Evelyn did not respond to Aria's rage, as her blank stare just lingered on Dragoon, or rather, on the blood coating her armour. The same kind of crimson mess Evelyn had yet to even wipe off of her own face yet, painting most of her pale skin red.

Ignoring Aria even further, the Espean slowly turned her head to the side, where the bandit was lying dead. The bandit that had run, so eager to save his own life, and simultaneously, take Evelyn's in the process. Now, he was dead. No chance to surrender, to beg for forgiveness, to fix his wrongdoings. All taken away in a flash of an eye, with an unsympathetic pull of the trigger.

Still soaked in blood from her white hair, down to her neck, Evelyn stood up to sit on the ground, only now realizing how her hands were shaking nearly uncontrollably. A mix of fear, adrenaline, as well as a burning guilt from having the man's blood on her, both in a figurative, and literal meaning.

Even though Aria had been the one to deliver the final blow, Evelyn felt as if it had been her hand on the grip of the pistol. Maybe things would have gone differently had she not been in danger like this. She was now responsible for a life lost.

To the white-haired mage, there was no longer much difference between Aria, and herself, when it came to murder.

It was all so confusing, scary and... cold.

Aria could notice the farmgirl's heavy breaths were creating visible puffs of fog from her lips, as if it were wintertime outside. Not only could she see it, but she could also feel it. There was a chill wind emanating from the girl, as she was radiating with a nearly shiver-inducing atmosphere.

If she were to be seen like this by the other dragoons, surely more questions would arise, so it was up to Aria to try to defuse the situation somehow.

Evelyn was losing it.

The characteristic trauma of someone who had never seen blood and gore up close was all too familiar to the Dragoon. Aria had been born with a strong spirit and stomach, but she never failed to miss the paled looks of her fellow Cornets the first time they went into battle. Their haunted expressions when they realized they had blood on them, blood they split with their own weapons.

It wasn't even a battle they were supposed to have taken part in. A simple boarding action when the ship transiting them spied a Calligian grain ship. The captain had decided that it was worth the lost time and effort to capture for prize, and Aria's regiment of Dragoon Officers found themselves with the boarding party. It had been Aria's first real time commanding soldiers. It had been Aria's first taste of real fighting against someone who wanted her and her compatriots dead.

And now Evelyn herself was on the verge of breaking down. The way her hands trembled and struggled to articulate, the unfocused look of fear and loss in her increasingly wild gaze, the quiver in her lips as her shaky breaths came out in one erratic puff of warm fog... She was losing herself, and the increasing frigidity was a sign that she was also losing her grip on her magic.

Evelyn's magic was tied heavily to her emotions; it didn't take a genius to figure it out. The Espean girl's ability to rein in and control her magic directly correlated with her emotional health... and she was on the cusp of a complete meltdown, emotionally and magically. Aria needed to bring Evelyn back from the edge before she fell over.

"Evelyn. Evelyn!" Aria tore Evelyn's gaze away from the dead bandit next to her, cupping the Espean's cheeks with her heavy gloved hands. She kept Evelyn from being able to look at the corpse in any way, instead keeping the farmgirl's face (and focus) on her own face. It was the only thing she could direct her attention to; Aria had little alternative but to use herself as a point for Evelyn to focus on, despite what she had just been doing moments before. "Just focus on me, Evelyn. Don't look anywhere else; just focus on my eyes." Aria kept her face schooled into a calm and neutral expression: placid enough to not further scare Evelyn out of her wits, but still carrying enough confidence and fire within her eyes to offer warmth in the most figurative way possible. She was offering herself as a rock for Evelyn to hold onto against the storm of emotions in her mind, a steady presence with which Evelyn could claw back control over herself and her magic. Any time Evelyn threatened to go back over the edge, Aria would pull her back with the fire in her gaze and the warmth in her voice.

It was the first time Aria had addressed Evelyn by her first name...

Last edited:

Evelyn was losing it.

The characteristic trauma of someone who had never seen blood and gore up close was all too familiar to the Dragoon. Aria had been born with a strong spirit and stomach, but she never failed to miss the paled looks of her fellow Cornets the first time they went into battle. Their haunted expressions when they realized they had blood on them, blood they split with their own weapons.

It wasn't even a battle they were supposed to have taken part in. A simple boarding action when the ship transiting them spied a Calligian grain ship. The captain had decided that it was worth the lost time and effort to capture for prize, and Aria's regiment of Dragoon Officers found themselves with the boarding party. It had been Aria's first real time commanding soldiers. It had been Aria's first taste of real fighting against someone who wanted her and her compatriots dead.

And now Evelyn herself was on the verge of breaking down. The way her hands trembled and struggled to articulate, the unfocused look of fear and loss in her increasingly wild gaze, the quiver in her lips as her shaky breaths came out in one erratic puff of warm fog... She was losing herself, and the increasing frigidity was a sign that she was also losing her grip on her magic.

Evelyn's magic was tied heavily to her emotions; it didn't take a genius to figure it out. The Espean girl's ability to rein in and control her magic directly correlated with her emotional health... and she was on the cusp of a complete meltdown, emotionally and magically. Aria needed to bring Evelyn back from the edge before she fell over.

"Evelyn. Evelyn!" Aria tore Evelyn's gaze away from the dead bandit next to her, cupping the Espean's cheeks with her heavy gloved hands. She kept Evelyn from being able to look at the corpse in any way, instead keeping the farmgirl's face (and focus) on her own face. It was the only thing she could direct her attention to; Aria had little alternative but to use herself as a point for Evelyn to focus on, despite what she had just been doing moments before. "Just focus on me, Evelyn. Don't look anywhere else; just focus on my eyes." Aria kept her face schooled into a calm and neutral expression: placid enough to not further scare Evelyn out of her wits, but still carrying enough confidence and fire within her eyes to offer warmth in the most figurative way possible. She was offering herself as a rock for Evelyn to hold onto against the storm of emotions in her mind, a steady presence with which Evelyn could claw back control over herself and her magic. Any time Evelyn threatened to go back over the edge, Aria would pull her back with the fire in her gaze and the warmth in her voice.

It was the first time Aria had addressed Evelyn by her first name...

Evelyn's aura of coldness was even more intense when Aria approached. Even through the thick gloves the dragoon sported, Aria could feel a stinging chill against her hands when she placed them on the white-haired girl's face.

As Evelyn's stare was ripped from the body of the dead bandit, and refocused onto Aria, and nothing else, her trance began to slowly break. Her blank expression of shock began to transform into a deeply disturbed frown, but life was beginning to display itself on her facial features. At least it was a step forward into calming the farmgirl.

A few more seconds of cold air passed by, before Evelyn moved for the first time in what felt like an eternity. She pushed forward, wrapping her arms around the smaller lady and pulling herself into a tight embrace. She buried her blood soaked face deep against Aria's collar, finding a spot not clad with heavy armour. Whatever part of Aria's gambeson that had remained clean from the battle earlier was now stained with red from contact with Evelyn.

The hug was anything but a warm embrace. There was in fact nothing warm about it. Instead of her body heat, hugging Evelyn was more akin to hugging a corpse that had been left out in the winter to freeze for one too many nights.

But she was quickly gaining warmth back into her body. With every passing second, the girl felt a tad bit warmer, closing in on a temperature that wouldn't at least raise any suspicions or questions around her.

The meltdown had been avoided, for now, but the after effects would linger for a life-time. Who knew when and how they would haunt her again?

sek_cloe.png

Evelyn's aura of coldness was even more intense when Aria approached. Even through the thick gloves the dragoon sported, Aria could feel a stinging chill against her hands when she placed them on the white-haired girl's face.

As Evelyn's stare was ripped from the body of the dead bandit, and refocused onto Aria, and nothing else, her trance began to slowly break. Her blank expression of shock began to transform into a deeply disturbed frown, but life was beginning to display itself on her facial features. At least it was a step forward into calming the farmgirl.

A few more seconds of cold air passed by, before Evelyn moved for the first time in what felt like an eternity. She pushed forward, wrapping her arms around the smaller lady and pulling herself into a tight embrace. She buried her blood soaked face deep against Aria's collar, finding a spot not clad with heavy armour. Whatever part of Aria's gambeson that had remained clean from the battle earlier was now stained with red from contact with Evelyn.

The hug was anything but a warm embrace. There was in fact nothing warm about it. Instead of her body heat, hugging Evelyn was more akin to hugging a corpse that had been left out in the winter to freeze for one too many nights.

But she was quickly gaining warmth back into her body. With every passing second, the girl felt a tad bit warmer, closing in on a temperature that wouldn't at least raise any suspicions or questions around her.

The meltdown had been avoided, for now, but the after effects would linger for a life-time. Who knew when and how they would haunt her again?

It was as if Aria was back home in Tierra...

The biting cold Evelyn provided was akin to the chilling blizzards of her homeland, one that the Tierran was not at all unfamiliar with. Winter was a cruel mother and a crueler mistress, but Aria didn't let the cold biting deep into her soul bother her. Aria in fact welcomed the taste of home Evelyn unintentionally provided, tackling it head on with characteristic Tierran stubbornness. Evelyn wouldn't lose herself, not while Aria had anything to say and do about it.

She let Evelyn's arms wrap around her in a tight embrace, like snow beginning to bury her alive...

"You're okay, Evelyn."

... And Aria hugged back like a like a roaring fire, her arms wrapped around Evelyn's head and back like a warm blanket that had been in the summer sun.

Aria felt the brush of Evelyn's blood-flecked hair against her face, like a harsh winter wind kissing her cheeks...

"... Nothing's going to happen to you right now..."

... And Aria's hand against the back of her head stroked her hair, brushing off what specks of ice and snow has just begun to form.

She felt Evelyn's bone-chilling breaths tickle her neck...

"... Because I'm here for you."

... And Aria's own breath against Evelyn's hair felt like a puff of warm steam melting the ice.

Crisis had been averted, but only just, and only for the time being. Evelyn was clearly traumatized, and healing would be a long and slow process full of moments where she could falter or even fall altogether. Aria would have to keep an even closer eye on her, and do everything she could in her power to help her heal.

It was the right thing to do.

It was as if Aria was back home in Tierra...

The biting cold Evelyn provided was akin to the chilling blizzards of her homeland, one that the Tierran was not at all unfamiliar with. Winter was a cruel mother and a crueler mistress, but Aria didn't let the cold biting deep into her soul bother her. Aria in fact welcomed the taste of home Evelyn unintentionally provided, tackling it head on with characteristic Tierran stubbornness. Evelyn wouldn't lose herself, not while Aria had anything to say and do about it.

She let Evelyn's arms wrap around her in a tight embrace, like snow beginning to bury her alive...

"You're okay, Evelyn."

... And Aria hugged back like a like a roaring fire, her arms wrapped around Evelyn's head and back like a warm blanket that had been in the summer sun.

Aria felt the brush of Evelyn's blood-flecked hair against her face, like a harsh winter wind kissing her cheeks...

"... Nothing's going to happen to you right now..."

... And Aria's hand against the back of her head stroked her hair, brushing off what specks of ice and snow has just begun to form.

She felt Evelyn's bone-chilling breaths tickle her neck...

"... Because I'm here for you."

... And Aria's own breath against Evelyn's hair felt like a puff of warm steam melting the ice.

Crisis had been averted, but only just, and only for the time being. Evelyn was clearly traumatized, and healing would be a long and slow process full of moments where she could falter or even fall altogether. Aria would have to keep an even closer eye on her, and do everything she could in her power to help her heal.

It was the right thing to do.

Evelyn lingered for a moment longer in Aria's arms, taking in the comforting words that slowly helped her regain control over herself. No longer did her mere presence feel like a freezing winter wind, as it was reduced to a slightly chilly feeling, only a couple of degrees colder than the regular outside air.

After she felt a bit more like herself, she pulled away from the embrace slightly, enough to be able to look the dragoon in the eye. Despite Evelyn's blue eyes looking as bright and piercing as always, there seemed to be a lack of passion behind them. The same passion that had made the girl so eager to debate with Aria, and the same passion that was driving her desperate journey to get back home.

"...Let's go." She said quietly to the cornet, not much emotion, negative, nor positive, left in her voice.

"We shouldn't make the journey any longer than it already is..."
She added, clearly looking tired already, despite it just barely being past noon. The incident with the bandits had taken a clear toll on her, both physically and mentally. With that said though, it was much too early to camp down, as they had just barely made it out of Noringa. If they stopped here for the day, it would take them ages to reach the outpost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back