• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
sek_cloe.png

Lady Aria d'al Brakava of Lancaster
Cornet of His Tierran Majesty's Royal Dragoons

As the duo closed in on the general whereabouts of the alleyway, Evelyn grabbed a hold of Aria's hand momentarily, and hopped off of the dark stallion. Now back on the ground, she suddenly felt shorter than she had previously, the horse having offered such a high viewpoint of the city.

"Right. It should be around here, somewhere..." Evelyn muttered, as she began to lead the soldier and her charger around the city with hesitant steps, and long pauses in-between them to think about the correct path.

Aria and Serendipity were both patient as they watched Evelyn lead them around in circles. It was entertaining to an extent, with Serendipity just enjoying the opportunity to really stretch and exercise after being cooped up in the stables for a few days straight. Aria on the other hand had the temptation of approaching Evelyn to help, but she ultimately decided against the notion. Only Evelyn knew where they needed to go, so Aria trying to help would've only added to her confusion...

After two wrong turns, nearly going around the entire block in a circle, and a few confused head scratches, Evelyn finally found her way to the correct alley. "Yes! This is it!" She exclaimed, immediately recognizing the surroundings.

Unable to contain herself, she ran down said alley, her eyes down at the bumpy cobblestone road below, scanning every tiny body of water for that one particular puddle. "No... not that one... not here..." She whispered quietly to herself every time she passed a puddle that was just plain, muddy water.

Lifting her eyes from the ground for a second, she looked forward in the long alleyway. There were countless puddles there, as the damages caused by the war had cracked the roads to no end. Would she really have to go through every single one? She wasn't even certain that the ice was still here, or that it even existed in the first place!

That's when a ray of sunlight shone directly into the girl's eyes, making her squint and shield her vision with her hand. Slowly opening her eyes, and lowering her hand, Evelyn could see that the light was reflecting off of something. A mirror like surface on the ground.

"I found it!" She exclaimed loudly, glancing back at Aria and running to the source of the reflection, the frozen puddle. She knelt down in front of it, and stared deep into it. Even with the sun directly shining into the chunk of ice, for over an hour now, it still showed no signs of thawing. Even when Evelyn carefully ran her finger across the surface, it still felt just as cold as the first time she had touched it, and without a single droplet of melted water touching her skin.

"It's still here..." She mumbled quietly in disbelief. To be honest, she was most likely even more doubtful of the existence of the "ice puddle" than Aria ever had been.

The alleyway itself was too narrow for Serendipity to comfortably canter through; it was one of the few curses of his gigantism that Aria wished he hadn't as she petted the bridge of his nose. "Stay here and guard the exit, okay? You know what to do if anything happens!" Trusting her horse to keep an eye out behind them, Aria marched deeper into the alley to catch up with the more excited Evelyn.

It was hard to believe that the diminutive Aria could have such an imposing presence in the alley. The heavy *thump, thump* of her boots was accentuated with loud splashes whenever she stepped into a puddle, matched only by her greatcoat naturally making her appearance seem bigger than the woman actually was. Evelyn herself was knelt beside a glimmer of sunlight in the otherwise dim alley, astonished that the frozen puddle she had left behind was real. Aria herself was concerned once she too had reached the ice, taking a knee opposite of Evelyn.

"This is..." She trailed off, unable to properly formulate her thoughts of utter amazement. Almost unconsciously, she reached out and touched the puddle with her hand, expecting it to be some sort of delusion or elaborate trick of the light.

I̷̧̡̡̙̗̞̬͇͉̬͔͎̹̮̗̟̪̠̪͖̫̺̦͚̪̙̠̹̻̝̹͗̽̿̐̓ͅţ̷̝̟̠̻̺͚̰̜̘̲̼̮̯̘͙̫̲̗̤͍̙̲͔̥͇͇̯̓́̍͌̈́͒͗̂͌̏́̃̊̑̀͗͋͒̅̀͑͘̕̕ ̵̨̡̢̼͎͔͍̠̙̘̥̹͔̥̠̙̪̙̬̟͎̹̹̘͎̪̪̥̹̣̈́͛̀̊͗̄̓́̅͗̈́̀́͂̃̂͒̓̏͜͝c̷͕̖̥̓͒̋͌͛̽͘͘͝ả̵̧̢̧̧̢͎̬͍̙̹̫̭̼͍͓̙̲͎͇͈̥͈̟̻͉̺̪̮̪͈̯̪̺̯̰̻͌͝m̷̡̢̢̢͍͍̹̟̫̘̹̰̭̰̤͇̝͇̱̪̲̙̫̲̜̳̩̠̘̦̕ͅe̸̡̟̫̫̖͚̱̙͙͎̬̳̪̱̱̼̩̼̻̟̊̿̄̊̈̌̉͝͠͝ ̷͙̤͍̹̟̯̬͈̖̬̣̮̿͛̃͋̽̏͌̀̂͌̃̄̒̅̀͐̒̆͗̔̆́̀̇̚͘͘͝͝͠f̸̣̖͍͍̯̪͉͇̹͈͉̲͔̠̰͔̿́́̀͂̊̈́̈́͑̋̒͑̐̍̂̂̏̀͝͝͝ȑ̶̢̫͚̝̗̠͕͙̻̘̞͋̄̀̑̔͌̒͋̀͊̍͆̐̋̌́̒̎̾̅̕ŏ̴̧̡̟͖͖̞̞̥͍͚̙̳̰̦̭̪͙̪͔̫͖̜͔͇̗̟̬̫̻͂̑̃͑̀̔̽͆̌͘͠͠m̷̡̨̨̧̼̠̗̺̞̦̰̠̥͚͍̝̯̬͓̙̳̙͉̲̖̣̐̈͊̊̈̅̃̐̒̿̌͒̀̀̔͊͑̽̋͛͊̾̏͑͗̏̕̚͝ ̵̧̟̰͉̞̉̽̆̈́̒̾̌͒͐̈́͛͊̉h̸̡̬̥̹̥͈͖͉̠͙̞͔̀́̌́̍̌̒́̃̇͑̒͑̓̔̇̚͘͘͠ę̸̨̞͉̦̻̞͖̦̞̥̗̙̼͇̩̬̙̘͉͙̟͙̦̗̗̠̗̝̭͇̥͈̲́̌́̔̎̐̎͌̓̈́̀̈́̑̾̈̏̾̓̏̌̀̅́̚͠ͅͅr̶̛̛͖͎̟̳̖̝͖̈̃̐̋̓̿͂̔̒́̐̅̍̄̾͒̓͑͂̽̐̿̏͑̆̓́̉̀̐͝͠͝.̵̡̡̧̨͓̮͕͓̝͖͕̰̫͙̮̗̹̗̼͓͉͔̤̐̆̆̈̃̇̄͆̎̌̄̾̑̈̕̕͜ͅ

It wasn't. The ice felt smooth and flawless against the tough cowhide of her leather glove, and it chilled her to the bone. It was as if she was back home in Tierra during winter, the way the air around the puddle shimmered in frosty clouds...

E̴̡̛̛̛͎͇̜̬̞͚͓̗̩̜̗̩͓͍̹̭̫͔̙̠͎̳̺̮̮̦̰̯̩͙̹̞͍̋̇̈̄̃̇̈̄͗̿̌̓̒͗͐̀̅̽͛͋͆̃̐̃̈́͐͝͠v̷̡͈̝̜͈̲̯͓̰͆̊͌͒̒̎̈́̈̈́̐̓̉͐́̀̎͂̒̒͌̃e̸̛̛̝̮̺̋̈́̊̊̏̿͛̄̐̀̆̔̄̃͐̈́́̅̽̔̃̍̀̑͑̆̂͘̚̕l̴̨͈̳͕̖͔̮̗͙͌̑ͅy̶̡̨̡̡̛̙̠̹͇͔͚̯̜̩̠̞̮͙̙̳̝̦̞͈̪̟̫̼̞͇̖̠̲͂̓̓͌́͛̓͐̈̐͆͋̔͌̉͒̈͌͘̚͜n̷̤̙̗̳͓͔̥͙̓̄̾͗̏͛̍̒͊̓̇̇̋̐̉̇̐̚͝ ̵͉͕͙̦̎͑̎d̸̨͓̥̳͔̱̘̯̟͇̦̞̼̩̥̀̀̏͊̉́̈́̆͋̑͗̈̀̀͒̇̀̐͊̎̀̒͊̕͘͘͝͠͠͠͝͝i̵̧̨̧̡̛̠͙̱̹̬̫̩̪͙͍̬͎͔̞̳̗̙͉̼͓̣͖̰̩̮̫͓̝̹͕̾͂͐̓̍̓̍̓̒͐́̀͆̾̌̐̇͑̋̉̾͂͆͒͂̔̐́́̂͛̆͠͝ͅͅd̷̡̢̢͍͓͔͚̳̦̰͚͖̠̼͔̟̮̱̥̹̮͍̱̋́́̎͆̇̑́̒̾̌͆̋̾͌̒́̍͋̌̇́̉̈́̔͒̓̿̆̕͘̚͠͠͝͠ͅ ̴͍̱̍̽͒͆̄̈͑͂̀͆͌͗̈́͌̾̋͂̓̔̅̋̓t̷̨̢̢̢͙̮͉̝̤̫̲̭͉͔̮̘͖̱͕͎̝̲̦͚̭͉̗̼͕̀̐̾̔̔̓̾͋̀̽h̴̡̧̢̖̭̞̣̰̝̘̘̼̬̬̼̭̱̮̦̞̣̱͈̥̹͙͍͕̮̦͔̪̼̣͚̲̓͒̏̈́́̍̾͛̽̽͛̈́̏̓͌i̷̡̬͔̫̝̥̗̻͚̳͚̤̳͎̗̱̲͓̗̓̾͒͆́̄̔̍̀̇͑͂̒͂͗̀̂̚̚s̴̢͙̠̳͖̫̫͕̪̙̱͉͕̗̻̓̇̉̃̋͛̋̑͑̿̃͂̉͠

Any thought of Evelyn being sick or poisoned was gone. This was not an act of nature; this was not something that Aria believed she would ever see in her entire life.

"Evelyn... You're... This is... This is magic... I don't have anything else that could possibly explain this..."

Last edited:

sek_cloe.png

Aria and Serendipity were both patient as they watched Evelyn lead them around in circles. It was entertaining to an extent, with Serendipity just enjoying the opportunity to really stretch and exercise after being cooped up in the stables for a few days straight. Aria on the other hand had the temptation of approaching Evelyn to help, but she ultimately decided against the notion. Only Evelyn knew where they needed to go, so Aria trying to help would've only added to her confusion...

The alleyway itself was too narrow for Serendipity to comfortably canter through; it was one of the few curses of his gigantism that Aria wished he hadn't as she petted the bridge of his nose. "Stay here and guard the exit, okay? You know what to do if anything happens!" Trusting her horse to keep an eye out behind them, Aria marched deeper into the alley to catch up with the more excited Evelyn.

It was hard to believe that the diminutive Aria could have such an imposing presence in the alley. The heavy *thump, thump* of her boots was accentuated with loud splashes whenever she stepped into a puddle, matched only by her greatcoat naturally making her appearance seem bigger than the woman actually was. Evelyn herself was knelt beside a glimmer of sunlight in the otherwise dim alley, astonished that the frozen puddle she had left behind was real. Aria herself was concerned once she too had reached the ice, taking a knee opposite of Evelyn.

"This is..." She trailed off, unable to properly formulate her thoughts of utter amazement. Almost unconsciously, she reached out and touched the puddle with her hand, expecting it to be some sort of delusion or elaborate trick of the light.

I̷̧̡̡̙̗̞̬͇͉̬͔͎̹̮̗̟̪̠̪͖̫̺̦͚̪̙̠̹̻̝̹͗̽̿̐̓ͅţ̷̝̟̠̻̺͚̰̜̘̲̼̮̯̘͙̫̲̗̤͍̙̲͔̥͇͇̯̓́̍͌̈́͒͗̂͌̏́̃̊̑̀͗͋͒̅̀͑͘̕̕ ̵̨̡̢̼͎͔͍̠̙̘̥̹͔̥̠̙̪̙̬̟͎̹̹̘͎̪̪̥̹̣̈́͛̀̊͗̄̓́̅͗̈́̀́͂̃̂͒̓̏͜͝c̷͕̖̥̓͒̋͌͛̽͘͘͝ả̵̧̢̧̧̢͎̬͍̙̹̫̭̼͍͓̙̲͎͇͈̥͈̟̻͉̺̪̮̪͈̯̪̺̯̰̻͌͝m̷̡̢̢̢͍͍̹̟̫̘̹̰̭̰̤͇̝͇̱̪̲̙̫̲̜̳̩̠̘̦̕ͅe̸̡̟̫̫̖͚̱̙͙͎̬̳̪̱̱̼̩̼̻̟̊̿̄̊̈̌̉͝͠͝ ̷͙̤͍̹̟̯̬͈̖̬̣̮̿͛̃͋̽̏͌̀̂͌̃̄̒̅̀͐̒̆͗̔̆́̀̇̚͘͘͝͝͠f̸̣̖͍͍̯̪͉͇̹͈͉̲͔̠̰͔̿́́̀͂̊̈́̈́͑̋̒͑̐̍̂̂̏̀͝͝͝ȑ̶̢̫͚̝̗̠͕͙̻̘̞͋̄̀̑̔͌̒͋̀͊̍͆̐̋̌́̒̎̾̅̕ŏ̴̧̡̟͖͖̞̞̥͍͚̙̳̰̦̭̪͙̪͔̫͖̜͔͇̗̟̬̫̻͂̑̃͑̀̔̽͆̌͘͠͠m̷̡̨̨̧̼̠̗̺̞̦̰̠̥͚͍̝̯̬͓̙̳̙͉̲̖̣̐̈͊̊̈̅̃̐̒̿̌͒̀̀̔͊͑̽̋͛͊̾̏͑͗̏̕̚͝ ̵̧̟̰͉̞̉̽̆̈́̒̾̌͒͐̈́͛͊̉h̸̡̬̥̹̥͈͖͉̠͙̞͔̀́̌́̍̌̒́̃̇͑̒͑̓̔̇̚͘͘͠ę̸̨̞͉̦̻̞͖̦̞̥̗̙̼͇̩̬̙̘͉͙̟͙̦̗̗̠̗̝̭͇̥͈̲́̌́̔̎̐̎͌̓̈́̀̈́̑̾̈̏̾̓̏̌̀̅́̚͠ͅͅr̶̛̛͖͎̟̳̖̝͖̈̃̐̋̓̿͂̔̒́̐̅̍̄̾͒̓͑͂̽̐̿̏͑̆̓́̉̀̐͝͠͝.̵̡̡̧̨͓̮͕͓̝͖͕̰̫͙̮̗̹̗̼͓͉͔̤̐̆̆̈̃̇̄͆̎̌̄̾̑̈̕̕͜ͅ

It wasn't. The ice felt smooth and flawless against the tough cowhide of her leather glove, and it chilled her to the bone. It was as if she was back home in Tierra during winter, the way the air around the puddle shimmered in frosty clouds...

E̴̡̛̛̛͎͇̜̬̞͚͓̗̩̜̗̩͓͍̹̭̫͔̙̠͎̳̺̮̮̦̰̯̩͙̹̞͍̋̇̈̄̃̇̈̄͗̿̌̓̒͗͐̀̅̽͛͋͆̃̐̃̈́͐͝͠v̷̡͈̝̜͈̲̯͓̰͆̊͌͒̒̎̈́̈̈́̐̓̉͐́̀̎͂̒̒͌̃e̸̛̛̝̮̺̋̈́̊̊̏̿͛̄̐̀̆̔̄̃͐̈́́̅̽̔̃̍̀̑͑̆̂͘̚̕l̴̨͈̳͕̖͔̮̗͙͌̑ͅy̶̡̨̡̡̛̙̠̹͇͔͚̯̜̩̠̞̮͙̙̳̝̦̞͈̪̟̫̼̞͇̖̠̲͂̓̓͌́͛̓͐̈̐͆͋̔͌̉͒̈͌͘̚͜n̷̤̙̗̳͓͔̥͙̓̄̾͗̏͛̍̒͊̓̇̇̋̐̉̇̐̚͝ ̵͉͕͙̦̎͑̎d̸̨͓̥̳͔̱̘̯̟͇̦̞̼̩̥̀̀̏͊̉́̈́̆͋̑͗̈̀̀͒̇̀̐͊̎̀̒͊̕͘͘͝͠͠͠͝͝i̵̧̨̧̡̛̠͙̱̹̬̫̩̪͙͍̬͎͔̞̳̗̙͉̼͓̣͖̰̩̮̫͓̝̹͕̾͂͐̓̍̓̍̓̒͐́̀͆̾̌̐̇͑̋̉̾͂͆͒͂̔̐́́̂͛̆͠͝ͅͅd̷̡̢̢͍͓͔͚̳̦̰͚͖̠̼͔̟̮̱̥̹̮͍̱̋́́̎͆̇̑́̒̾̌͆̋̾͌̒́̍͋̌̇́̉̈́̔͒̓̿̆̕͘̚͠͠͝͠ͅ ̴͍̱̍̽͒͆̄̈͑͂̀͆͌͗̈́͌̾̋͂̓̔̅̋̓t̷̨̢̢̢͙̮͉̝̤̫̲̭͉͔̮̘͖̱͕͎̝̲̦͚̭͉̗̼͕̀̐̾̔̔̓̾͋̀̽h̴̡̧̢̖̭̞̣̰̝̘̘̼̬̬̼̭̱̮̦̞̣̱͈̥̹͙͍͕̮̦͔̪̼̣͚̲̓͒̏̈́́̍̾͛̽̽͛̈́̏̓͌i̷̡̬͔̫̝̥̗̻͚̳͚̤̳͎̗̱̲͓̗̓̾͒͆́̄̔̍̀̇͑͂̒͂͗̀̂̚̚s̴̢͙̠̳͖̫̫͕̪̙̱͉͕̗̻̓̇̉̃̋͛̋̑͑̿̃͂̉͠

Any thought of Evelyn being sick or poisoned was gone. This was not an act of nature; this was not something that Aria believed she would ever see in her entire life.

"Evelyn... You're... This is... This is magic... I don't have anything else that could possibly explain this..."

Evelyn just looked at Aria with a blank stare, a few seconds of pure silence following. Magic. Surely she hadn't heard her right. Surely she was just playing a joke on her behalf, before she'd reveal the actual cause of the frozen puddle. As Evelyn quickly came to the realization that wasn't the case, she grew even more confused.

"...Magic?" She echoed the single word back, a single brow slightly tilted up. "Isn't that just something... something that village elders tell as fairytales to teach kids lessons?" Evelyn asked, as that was the only exposure she had with the topic.

"There's got to some other explanation, right?" The bemused farmer exhaled a sharp chuckle, though humour was from the moment.

"How do you even know that it's magic? I mean, it's just ice!" She exclaimed passionately, a bit louder. Although it may have seemed like it, she didn't think the idea of magic being the cause all that ridiculous considering the circumstances. There was simply a lack of logical solutions after all.

It was scary, though. If it really was... magic, she didn't know the first thing about it. Even with how knowledgeable Aria seemed, Evelyn could still see the absence of a pointy wizard hat on the lady, so she questioned her knowledge about magic just as much.

sek_cloe.png

Evelyn just looked at Aria with a blank stare, a few seconds of pure silence following. Magic. Surely she hadn't heard her right. Surely she was just playing a joke on her behalf, before she'd reveal the actual cause of the frozen puddle. As Evelyn quickly came to the realization that wasn't the case, she grew even more confused.

"...Magic?" She echoed the single word back, a single brow slightly tilted up. "Isn't that just something... something that village elders tell as fairytales to teach kids lessons?" Evelyn asked, as that was the only exposure she had with the topic.

"There's got to some other explanation, right?" The bemused farmer exhaled a sharp chuckle, though humour was from the moment.

"How do you even know that it's magic? I mean, it's just ice!" She exclaimed passionately, a bit louder. Although it may have seemed like it, she didn't think the idea of magic being the cause all that ridiculous considering the circumstances. There was simply a lack of logical solutions after all.

It was scary, though. If it really was... magic, she didn't know the first thing about it. Even with how knowledgeable Aria seemed, Evelyn could still see the absence of a pointy wizard hat on the lady, so she questioned her knowledge about magic just as much.

"Look around us! It's the month of Stallion: one of the hottest months of the year, and we're in Imperial Calligia which just north of the Sand Sea!" Aria still had her gloved hand pressed against the frozen puddle when she countered Evelyn's argument. "This is the kind of ice I'd see back home in Tierra, and it hasn't even begun to warm, let alone melt! You said this puddle froze over completely when you dipped your finger in, right? How can anybody explain that away besides the impossible?"

Aria really had no other way to rationalize things, but if she was drawing the correct conclusion, then things were about to get a whole lot more complicated for Evelyn. Magic was an exceedingly rare commodity, and entire wars had been waged over individuals who were discovered to be capable of harnessing that commodity. Anyone who was found out was fabulously powerful in the most literal way possible, but only as a precious treasure to be guarded and used. Evelyn's life as she knew it would be over if anyone knew...

"Listen: I found you literally freezing to death in a brunt out section of Noringa's slums; you wake up to discover it's been a hundred days since you last remember; you have a different hair and eye color than what you're supposed to have, and you froze a puddle that even as we speak, is still in an untouched state despite it being one of the hottest times of the year. What else can I say that could possibly explain all this?"

"Look around us! It's the month of Stallion: one of the hottest months of the year, and we're in Imperial Calligia which just north of the Sand Sea!" Aria still had her gloved hand pressed against the frozen puddle when she countered Evelyn's argument. "This is the kind of ice I'd see back home in Tierra, and it hasn't even begun to warm, let alone melt! You said this puddle froze over completely when you dipped your finger in, right? How can anybody explain that away besides the impossible?"

Aria really had no other way to rationalize things, but if she was drawing the correct conclusion, then things were about to get a whole lot more complicated for Evelyn. Magic was an exceedingly rare commodity, and entire wars had been waged over individuals who were discovered to be capable of harnessing that commodity. Anyone who was found out was fabulously powerful in the most literal way possible, but only as a precious treasure to be guarded and used. Evelyn's life as she knew it would be over if anyone knew...

"Yes, but..." Evelyn tried to argue back, but she didn't even know why. It's not like she had any type of response, or counterpoint to offer. It was just hard to accept. She wanted an easier explanation, one that more made sense. If magic was truly the cause of everything that had happened here, it would only create more questions, instead of answers.
"Listen: I found you literally freezing to death in a brunt out section of Noringa's slums; you wake up to discover it's been a hundred days since you last remember; you have a different hair and eye color than what you're supposed to have, and you froze a puddle that even as we speak, is still in an untouched state despite it being one of the hottest times of the year. What else can I say that could possibly explain all this?"

The more Aria argued, the more convinced Evelyn became by the second. If it had been just one, or even two, of those strange incidents that had occurred at the same time, she could have at least tried to rationalize it all somehow. But so many different, and odd events, all taking place at the same time? It was just too much to all be a coincidence.

Evelyn looked away from Aria, back down at the puddle. "Then... what does that exactly mean for me?" She asked quietly, almost in a whisper. It was clear that she wasn't exactly thrilled to find out about her newfound powers, especially as she didn't seem to have agency over them.

"I don't know how to control it? I didn't mean to freeze this puddle, it just happened..." Evelyn explained, going more in-depth into her biggest source of worry. "What if I keep freezing things that I touch? What if I... freeze... a person?" She whispered the last word, a frown filled with worry on her face. Even though she was jumping to conclusions, not even knowing whether that was possible, it was now a genuine fear of hers.

sek_cloe.png

Evelyn looked away from Aria, back down at the puddle. "Then... what does that exactly mean for me?" She asked quietly, almost in a whisper. It was clear that she wasn't exactly thrilled to find out about her newfound powers, especially as she didn't seem to have agency over them.

"It means that you're now someone that entire empires would slaughter each other to get their hands on. Even my homeland would likely want you if the wrong person knows." Aria had her obligations to her nation, and duty demanded that she try to convince Evelyn to user her powers to serve the greater good. A mage could turn the tide of a battle, a skilled one the tide of an entire war.

Aria smothered that duty before she let it fester into something she'd entertain. She wouldn't dare sacrifice someone's happiness and wellbeing for her nation; her personal ethos wouldn't let her fathom Evelyn becoming a political pawn in the international stage. She had to get her home where nobody would look, where nobody would think that someone with Ice Magic would be living in secrecy. Evelyn would live a simple life, and the hanging threat of becoming someone's tool would be at the very least mitigated...

"Getting you home is now more important than ever; if anyone finds out that you have magic, then you'll never get to see Espea again, let alone home." Aria had to make sure that Evelyn understood the gravity of her situation. "That means try to avoid talking to anyone, especially anyone with any meaningful power like a Tierran or Calligian noble."

"I don't know how to control it? I didn't mean to freeze this puddle, it just happened..." Evelyn explained, going more in-depth into her biggest source of worry. "What if I keep freezing things that I touch? What if I... freeze... a person?" She whispered the last word, a frown filled with worry on her face. Even though she was jumping to conclusions, not even knowing whether that was possible, it was now a genuine fear of hers.

"You won't." If only Aria had the same confidence she wanted to portray, but at least she was a better liar than the girl in front of her. "I'll see if I can get you something like some gloves; try to avoid touching anything with your bare hands until then. If we're lucky, then you freezing anything requires a direct touch out of you, and we can mitigate and hide that." Aria didn't know where on earth she could begin to find anything that would work, but it was worth a shot...

"Let's get out of here... We can't risk someone getting curious about this place..."

"It means that you're now someone that entire empires would slaughter each other to get their hands on. Even my homeland would likely want you if the wrong person knows." Aria had her obligations to her nation, and duty demanded that she try to convince Evelyn to user her powers to serve the greater good. A mage could turn the tide of a battle, a skilled one the tide of an entire war.

Aria smothered that duty before she let it fester into something she'd entertain. She wouldn't dare sacrifice someone's happiness and wellbeing for her nation; her personal ethos wouldn't let her fathom Evelyn becoming a political pawn in the international stage. She had to get her home where nobody would look, where nobody would think that someone with Ice Magic would be living in secrecy. Evelyn would live a simple life, and the hanging threat of becoming someone's tool would be at the very least mitigated...

"Getting you home is now more important than ever; if anyone finds out that you have magic, then you'll never get to see Espea again, let alone home." Aria had to make sure that Evelyn understood the gravity of her situation. "That means try to avoid talking to anyone, especially anyone with any meaningful power like a Tierran or Calligian noble."
Evelyn tried to open her mouth to respond, but the words refused to leave her lips. Based on how Aria was acting, this was very serious. The farmer didn't exactly understand all the whys of the matter, but not being able to ever get back to Espea was intimidation enough. "O-Okay, I'll try to avoid talking to strangers." She replied, a bit flustered by the situation. She still needed to process the situation, but not here.

"You won't." If only Aria had the same confidence she wanted to portray, but at least she was a better liar than the girl in front of her. "I'll see if I can get you something like some gloves; try to avoid touching anything with your bare hands until then. If we're lucky, then you freezing anything requires a direct touch out of you, and we can mitigate and hide that." Aria didn't know where on earth she could begin to find anything that would work, but it was worth a shot...

Hearing Aria be so confident in her reply eased Evelyn's anxieties slightly. After all, the Dragoon clearly knew much more about magic, so she knew that she could trust her word on it. Even with that said, the thought of having to wear gloves around the clock felt like it might not be a great solution. She wouldn't turn the suggestion down, of course, but if this was magic they were dealing with, how much could a thin layer of leather prevent it? What if she froze the gloves themselves, and she couldn't take them off afterwards? It was a silly thought, but everything seemed to be possible at this point.
"Let's get out of here... We can't risk someone getting curious about this place..."

"I agree, let's go..." Evelyn nodded, following behind as Aria began to rush down the alley, back towards Serendipity. Evelyn paused for a moment, glancing over her shoulder at the frozen puddle still there. "Hey, should we do something about-" She began to ask, regarding the puddle, but soon realized that Aria was too far gone already, and couldn't hear her.

Whatever, it'll be fine...
"Coming!" Evelyn lightly jogged after Aria, quickly catching up with her and the dark stallion, the trio heading back towards the barracks as quick as they possibly could. The puddle still lingered in Evelyn's mind, but she quickly pushed the thought aside. It would melt eventually, wouldn't it? And even if it didn't, and someone were to come across it, it's not like they could link it to Evelyn, or Aria somehow.

sek_cloe.png

1687067581732-png.1095377

Temporary Garrison -The City of Noringa - Imperial Calligia
602nd Year of the Old Imperial Era

It only took a few minutes for Aria and Evelyn to get back to the relative safety of the temporary garrison. Serendipity was understandably annoyed that his time to trot around Noringa was cut short, but a bribe from Aria in the form of a carrot quickly shut him up into cooperating while Evelyn retreated inside. Thankfully no soldier would have any business snooping around a random alleyway when there's no good reason, so Aria was confident that the frozen puddle had little chance of being discovered, let alone being traced back to the Espean.

Now Evelyn was back in Aria's room, the Dragoon having given her the key to the room before detouring elsewhere inside the garrison.

"I just need to quickly report in to the Troop Captain. Here's the room key; I'll be back in a few minutes!"

Thus, Evelyn was back to just idly exploring Aria's room. Thankfully only Aria's rifled carbine was the only weapon stashed away under the bed, the others presumably on the Dragoon's person at that moment. Aria's steel armor was still neatly sitting to the side next to the oversized shield.

That journal Aria had in the ramshackle nightstand... the temptation was still there to peek.

Once again, Evelyn left all by herself in the tiny room. At this point, it was beginning to feel like déjà vu, as she was once again, in an extreme state of confusion, just trying to process all the new information about the whole "magic" -situation.

She sighed deeply out loud, and slumped herself onto the bed, letting her face fall into her hands. How had she managed to get herself into a situation like this? She wasn't anything special. Her family wasn't anything special. There was absolutely nothing remarkable about her life, previous to this. So, why her?

"I'll just... go back home and forget about all of this..." She muttered quietly to herself, lifting her head, a slight frown drawn across her face.

Evelyn needed a distraction of some sort. Anything, even a small one. A quick glance around the room, and her eyes were drawn to the night stand near the bed, and especially what it contained. The journal that she had already held in her hands previously.

Even though Evelyn had decided to not take a peek into the lady's private life, things were different now. That was before all the "magic-talk". If the Espean's life was truly in as much danger as Aria implied, then Evelyn needed to make sure that she could trust the Dragoon a hundred percent.

With guilt already pressing on her chest slightly, Evelyn slid the night stand open, and grabbed the journal inside. She didn't have much time before Aria came back, so she decided to just open the book at a random page, reading a bit here and there, before opening moving to another section.

With guilt already pressing on her chest slightly, Evelyn slid the night stand open, and grabbed the journal inside. She didn't have much time before Aria came back, so she decided to just open the book at a random page, reading a bit here and there, before opening moving to another section.

The journal itself was an old piece, wrapped in rough cowhide that has clearly seen better days. The parchment pages themselves felt worn down when Evelyn's fingers glided over, every wrinkle and occasional rip telling a unique story on their own, and others adding to the entry Evelyn glossed over. Evelyn could safely guess that the journal had seen a lot of abuse, but there were clear signs of love and care put into it's continued existence. Aria's handwriting was as fanciful and beautiful as it was hard to read at times, but she wrote with an extreme amount of caution, if the thinness of her strokes was hint enough.

602 OIE, 24th Day of Taurus

Today has turned out to be a terrible one for me. Papa has fallen ill again, and I fear it to be far worse than last time. He coughs and hacks with worrying violence and frequency, and on several occasions he's nearly collapsed in the halls. I fear that the hearsay from the servants about him coughing blood when we are not looking might be true; he has been increasingly evasive whenever I question him about it. He has only let slip the details of our family's dire case...

I've always known that our family is an old and impoverished one, but the sheer enormity of our debt. It would take a miracle for us to see light at the end of this.

Mama is beside herself with worry and refuses to leave Papa's side. She has already begun shadowing him and taking over his more taxing duties to ease his burden. I myself have taken on some lesser duties that Papa would normally undertake; every little thing I am capable of doing I have taken on for Papa's sake... I can't bear to see the fear in Mama's eyes, lest I begin to share the same expression...

Luka and Isabella are also worried as well; but their youth makes them unable to do much outside of the estate. Isabella continues to search for a suitor that can take care of her, while little Luka has taken it upon himself to learn the nuances of running the Barony alongside me. I cannot be more proud of my little brother and sister; I'm sure Papa and Mama are proud too whenever they see us hard at work.

I already dislike this year... I wish I had the power to turn back time to when things were happier...

- Aria

Today has turned out to be a terrible one for me. Papa has fallen ill again, and I fear it to be far worse than last time. He coughs and hacks with worrying violence and frequency, and on several occasions he's nearly collapsed in the halls. I fear that the hearsay from the servants about him coughing blood when we are not looking might be true; he has been increasingly evasive whenever I question him about it. He has only let slip the details of our family's dire case...

I've always known that our family is an old and impoverished one, but the sheer enormity of our debt. It would take a miracle for us to see light at the end of this.

Mama is beside herself with worry and refuses to leave Papa's side. She has already begun shadowing him and taking over his more taxing duties to ease his burden. I myself have taken on some lesser duties that Papa would normally undertake; every little thing I am capable of doing I have taken on for Papa's sake... I can't bear to see the fear in Mama's eyes, lest I begin to share the same expression...

Luka and Isabella are also worried as well; but their youth makes them unable to do much outside of the estate. Isabella continues to search for a suitor that can take care of her, while little Luka has taken it upon himself to learn the nuances of running the Barony alongside me. I cannot be more proud of my little brother and sister; I'm sure Papa and Mama are proud too whenever they see us hard at work.

I already dislike this year... I wish I had the power to turn back time to when things were happier...

- Aria

602 OIE, 4th Day of the Tiger

The Apothecary didn't give us any good news. He told us that Papa was in a grave state of being, his age and frailty have made it difficult for him to fend off illness and fatigue. If he does not rest from his patriarchal duties, he might live for another two year at best. Two years! Mama fainted when she heard the news, and poor Isabella bawled when she learned that Papa might not live to see her grow up.

I'm beside myself with grief and panic. Even now I am struggling to put my thoughts into coherent writing; my hand refuses to still its shaking with the feather. I have already begun taking on more duties from Papa; Mama has also accelerated her search for a suitable husband for me to wed should Papa pass on.

... I cannot fathom such a thought, being married and not having Papa witness my wedding.

- Aria

The Apothecary didn't give us any good news. He told us that Papa was in a grave state of being, his age and frailty have made it difficult for him to fend off illness and fatigue. If he does not rest from his patriarchal duties, he might live for another two year at best. Two years! Mama fainted when she heard the news, and poor Isabella bawled when she learned that Papa might not live to see her grow up.

I'm beside myself with grief and panic. Even now I am struggling to put my thoughts into coherent writing; my hand refuses to still its shaking with the feather. I have already begun taking on more duties from Papa; Mama has also accelerated her search for a suitable husband for me to wed should Papa pass on.

... I cannot fathom such a thought, being married and not having Papa witness my wedding.

- Aria

602 OIE, 16th Day of the Tiger

The commission had just arrived from Astraea; I am now a Cornet of His Majesty's Royal Dragoons. I leave tomorrow for Havenwell to begin my training as a Dragoon.

It is the only way I can think of that can pay off the family's debts. They say that an Officer can collect a handsome pay from ransoms alone, more if they are recognized and rewarded for bravery and valor in battle. It is my only option; Papa is too ill, and Mama is filled with grief to properly run the estate. Seeing my family well is all that matters, and if I must, I'll fight this bloody war by my lonesome if it means seeing Papa and Mama happy and healthy again.

Papa and Mama had heart attacks when I initially announced my intentions of joining the war last week. Mama nearly collapsed, shouting that she wouldn't let me go off to war if she could help it. Papa too was against my decision, but he couldn't rise from the bed or raise his voice without coughing. I tried to abate their worries as best as I could, but they were having none of it. They wanted me to stay home, inherit the estate, and find a good husband. I already know I make for a terrible bride and housewife, maybe I can better find my place in Calligia.

Luka, Isabella... Forgive your older sister for running away when you most need it. Neither of you are old enough or ready to run the Barony, but this is for the family.

Papa... I hope you can forgive your daughter for what she must do.

- Aria

The commission had just arrived from Astraea; I am now a Cornet of His Majesty's Royal Dragoons. I leave tomorrow for Havenwell to begin my training as a Dragoon.

It is the only way I can think of that can pay off the family's debts. They say that an Officer can collect a handsome pay from ransoms alone, more if they are recognized and rewarded for bravery and valor in battle. It is my only option; Papa is too ill, and Mama is filled with grief to properly run the estate. Seeing my family well is all that matters, and if I must, I'll fight this bloody war by my lonesome if it means seeing Papa and Mama happy and healthy again.

Papa and Mama had heart attacks when I initially announced my intentions of joining the war last week. Mama nearly collapsed, shouting that she wouldn't let me go off to war if she could help it. Papa too was against my decision, but he couldn't rise from the bed or raise his voice without coughing. I tried to abate their worries as best as I could, but they were having none of it. They wanted me to stay home, inherit the estate, and find a good husband. I already know I make for a terrible bride and housewife, maybe I can better find my place in Calligia.

Luka, Isabella... Forgive your older sister for running away when you most need it. Neither of you are old enough or ready to run the Barony, but this is for the family.

- Aria

The entries Evelyn read were all closely linked together, close enough that Evelyn could piece together Aria's character despite skipping through several days' worth of entries. They painted Aria's portrait in a light that was so different to what Evelyn initially assumed of her, what Evelyn thought of her. The Aria of the journal was a different Aria to the one she awoke to, a different Aria to the one she witnessed in the stables, a different Aria to the one who seemed so confident in that alleyway just minutes ago...

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!*

"Miss Celice! You inside? The door's locked and I left the key with you!"

Last edited:
The journal itself was an old piece, wrapped in rough cowhide that has clearly seen better days. The parchment pages themselves felt worn down when Evelyn's fingers glided over, every wrinkle and occasional rip telling a unique story on their own, and others adding to the entry Evelyn glossed over. Evelyn could safely guess that the journal had seen a lot of abuse, but there were clear signs of love and care put into it's continued existence. Aria's handwriting was as fanciful and beautiful as it was hard to read at times, but she wrote with an extreme amount of caution, if the thinness of her strokes was hint enough.

- Aria

- Aria

- Aria

- Aria

- Aria

- Aria

The entries Evelyn read were all closely linked together, close enough that Evelyn could piece together Aria's character despite skipping through several days' worth of entries. They painted Aria's portrait in a light that was so different to what Evelyn initially assumed of her, what Evelyn thought of her. The Aria of the journal was a different Aria to the one she awoke to, a different Aria to the one she witnessed in the stables, a different Aria to the one who seemed so confident in that alleyway just minutes ago...

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!*

"Miss Celice! You inside? The door's locked and I left the key with you!"

Illness and debt. Evelyn hadn't had a clue that those had been, and still were, a part of Aria's life. She seemed so composed and well-adjusted on the surface! Evelyn, being more so the type to show her emotions forthright (whether she wanted to, or not), couldn't relate at all.

What she could relate to though, was the bond that the Dragoon clearly shared with her family. Maybe underneath all that armour, Aria was more alike to Evelyn than either one realized? The thought puzzled the white-haired lady. For a moment, she thought to try to cheer up Aria somehow, tell her that her family is going to be all right, and so forth. She couldn't exactly do that, though, as she didn't want to disclose the fact that she might just have read her private journal...

Right as Evelyn was imagining the horror scenario that would come upon up her if she were to get caught, the loud knock on the door startled her. The farmer flinched, dropping the journal on the floor with a heavy thud. "Y-Yes, wait just a second!" Evelyn stuttered back a reply, her voice nearly cracking with the scare she had received of almost getting caught in the act.

Evelyn hurriedly swept up the journal off of the floor, and stashed it back in the night stand, making sure it was like Aria had left it. She pushed the drawer shut, and grabbed the key from her pocket to fit it into the lock on the door.

She pushed the door open, careful not to hit Aria with it. "So, this magic thing...?" Evelyn quizzed, hoping Aria would enlighten her a bit more on the matter. "Oh, and the gloves, any luck with those?" She added to her question. She didn't honestly have much faith in the idea of the gloves, but if Aria thought it was a good idea, she'd be willing to give it a shot without any complaints.

sek_cloe.png

Right as Evelyn was imagining the horror scenario that would come upon up her if she were to get caught, the loud knock on the door startled her. The farmer flinched, dropping the journal on the floor with a heavy thud. "Y-Yes, wait just a second!" Evelyn stuttered back a reply, her voice nearly cracking with the scare she had received of almost getting caught in the act.

Evelyn hurriedly swept up the journal off of the floor, and stashed it back in the night stand, making sure it was like Aria had left it. She pushed the drawer shut, and grabbed the key from her pocket to fit it into the lock on the door.

She pushed the door open, careful not to hit Aria with it. "So, this magic thing...?" Evelyn quizzed, hoping Aria would enlighten her a bit more on the matter. "Oh, and the gloves, any luck with those?" She added to her question. She didn't honestly have much faith in the idea of the gloves, but if Aria thought it was a good idea, she'd be willing to give it a shot without any complaints.

"I don't know much about magic myself since I've never even met someone who could use magic up until you." Aria nodded in thanks before she pulled something out the familiar shape of gloves from the inside of her greatcoat. "Dress Uniform gloves. I took these from the Supply-O, told 'im that I lost my own pair during the voyage here a month back, but never got around to replacing them."

The gloves themselves were nothing special, just a plain pair of white cotton gloves. They definitely felt soft and tingly when Aria gently put them in Evelyn's hands, and something about how well it matched Evelyn's white hair stood out. "I couldn't find a pair of leather ones that could fit you and looks inconspicuous at the same time. These will do for now since it sort of blends in with the rest of your clothing."

And that just reminded Aria that she had another problem she never considered...

"Right... You need extra changes of clothing..."

Evelyn basically only had the clothes on her back and nothing else. She was a low-born girl who only had the clothes on her back and nothing else, in an active warzone filled with unscrupulous individuals who would gleefully take advantage of her if she wasn't careful.

"I'll take another look around later to see if there's clothes your size..."

Last edited:

"I don't know much about magic myself since I've never even met someone who could use magic up until you." Aria nodded in thanks before she pulled something out the familiar shape of gloves from the inside of her greatcoat. "Dress Uniform gloves. I took these from the Supply-O, told 'im that I lost my own pair during the voyage here a month back, but never got around to replacing them."

The gloves themselves were nothing special, just a plain pair of white cotton gloves. They definitely felt soft and tingly when Aria gently put them in Evelyn's hands, and something about how well it matched Evelyn's white hair stood out. "I couldn't find a pair of leather ones that could fit you and looks inconspicuous at the same time. These will do for now since it sort of blends in with the rest of your clothing."

And that just reminded Aria that she had another problem she never considered...

One after another, Evelyn carefully fit her hands into the white cotton gloves, stretching her fingers slightly in them, and checking them for any unusual signs. No frost, no ice, nothing. "Doesn't seem like there's anything out of the ordinary here..." Evelyn muttered out, taking one more close look at her cotton-covered fingertips to make sure.

"...Thanks for the gloves, they fit like, well... a glove." Evelyn chuckled a bit, failing to find a more suitable comparison.

"Right... You need extra changes of clothing..."

Evelyn basically only had the clothes on her back and nothing else. She was a low-born girl who only had the clothes on her back and nothing else, in an active warzone filled with unscrupulous individuals who would gleefully take advantage of her if she wasn't careful.

"I'll take another look around later to see if there's clothes your size..."
As Aria mentioned the Espean lady's clothing, Evelyn glanced down, straightening her slightly ragged and dirty tunic. It was worn, stained by dirt and mud, and even had the occasional small tear towards the bottom hem. Nothing out of the ordinary from people in her profession. In fact, Evelyn was fairly confident that she did not own a single piece of clothing that didn't have at least a single tear in it somewhere.

"...If it's not too much trouble, I'll gladly accept anything. I'm not picky." Evelyn nodded in response. Initially, she had thought to decline the offer, as she didn't think she'd need new clothing for anything, but based on Aria's phrasing of the matter, it seemed to be more of a necessity, rather than a quality of life improvement.

sek_cloe.png

As Aria mentioned the Espean lady's clothing, Evelyn glanced down, straightening her slightly ragged and dirty tunic. It was worn, stained by dirt and mud, and even had the occasional small tear towards the bottom hem. Nothing out of the ordinary from people in her profession. In fact, Evelyn was fairly confident that she did not own a single piece of clothing that didn't have at least a single tear in it somewhere.

"...If it's not too much trouble, I'll gladly accept anything. I'm not picky." Evelyn nodded in response. Initially, she had thought to decline the offer, as she didn't think she'd need new clothing for anything, but based on Aria's phrasing of the matter, it seemed to be more of a necessity, rather than a quality of life improvement.

"It's fine, Miss Celice! I'll make sure to find and purchase anything that would fit you and keep you inconspicuous. Nothing strange like noble attire or a Tierran uniform, and obviously I can't share anything I wear since we're so different in size. I'll keep a lookout though; clothes shouldn't cost more than a few Stones; maybe close to half a Tower if it's of decent make!"

As Aria slipped past and closed the door, she shrugged off the greatcoat from her shoulders. It was just another reminder that it was the coat that gave Aria most of her imposing bulk; without it she looked as dainty as a girl her size and half-her age. Her padded gambeson had some strings undone around the sleeves, likely an attempt to cool down and allow some freedom of movement, and her short skirt and tights left little to the imagination when she sat down on the scratchy bed. Unfortunately, the ominous clanking of the sabre sheathed at her hip made sure Evelyn didn't forget that Aria was still a soldier. The conspicuous butt of the flintlock pistol holstered on the small of her back didn't help much either at shutting out the fact.

"Thankfully the Captain didn't bat an eye when I reported that I needed to leave at any time. It gives me enough excuse that I can stay here and help you any way I can while we get you ready for a few days trip to the River Kharan." Aria was blissfully unaware that Evelyn had snooped through her journal as she produced her map; not like she had any reason to believe that someone would even find it (even though Aria never really made any effort to hide said journal). "Like I said before: it's about three or four days from here on horseback..." She pointed down at a certain point that she had marked down earlier with ink, not that Evelyn would be terribly familiar with Calligian lands. The fact that the border to Espea was so far away did make it difficult for Evelyn to imagine how they'd go that way towards her home... "... so I'll make sure to carry enough provisions for the both of us. I'll probably have to get another saddlebag for any clothes or items you get along the way too. There's also the fact that we'll be travelling with five other soldiers to this posting. They'll all be enlisted Dragoons save for an Non-Commissioned Officer, but they should behave as long as you don't somehow wander off on your own."

"It's fine, Miss Celice! I'll make sure to find and purchase anything that would fit you and keep you inconspicuous. Nothing strange like noble attire or a Tierran uniform, and obviously I can't share anything I wear since we're so different in size. I'll keep a lookout though; clothes shouldn't cost more than a few Stones; maybe close to half a Tower if it's of decent make!"

As Aria slipped past and closed the door, she shrugged off the greatcoat from her shoulders. It was just another reminder that it was the coat that gave Aria most of her imposing bulk; without it she looked as dainty as a girl her size and half-her age. Her padded gambeson had some strings undone around the sleeves, likely an attempt to cool down and allow some freedom of movement, and her short skirt and tights left little to the imagination when she sat down on the scratchy bed. Unfortunately, the ominous clanking of the sabre sheathed at her hip made sure Evelyn didn't forget that Aria was still a soldier. The conspicuous butt of the flintlock pistol holstered on the small of her back didn't help much either at shutting out the fact.
Evelyn nodded in response, feeling a bit guilty that Aria would have to pay for her clothing out of her own pocket. She would have offered to pay instead in a heartbeat, but she didn't have a single coin in her empty pockets, so that was out of the question. "I'll pay you back when I get back home." She suggested as an alternative, but it wasn't really a suggestion. She'd force Aria to take the money, whether she wanted or not.

"Thankfully the Captain didn't bat an eye when I reported that I needed to leave at any time. It gives me enough excuse that I can stay here and help you any way I can while we get you ready for a few days trip to the River Kharan." Aria was blissfully unaware that Evelyn had snooped through her journal as she produced her map; not like she had any reason to believe that someone would even find it (even though Aria never really made any effort to hide said journal). "Like I said before: it's about three or four days from here on horseback..." She pointed down at a certain point that she had marked down earlier with ink, not that Evelyn would be terribly familiar with Calligian lands. The fact that the border to Espea was so far away did make it difficult for Evelyn to imagine how they'd go that way towards her home...

"Four days..." Evelyn mumbled quietly, her gaze following the markings on the unfamiliar-looking map. She had never travelled such a long distance before. Well, conscious of it, at least. If it hadn't been for the unfortunate circumstances she had been placed in, Evelyn might have been excited for such a trip. Even considered it an adventure of sorts! But right now, it was just a lengthy detour, on the road back home.
"... so I'll make sure to carry enough provisions for the both of us. I'll probably have to get another saddlebag for any clothes or items you get along the way too. There's also the fact that we'll be travelling with five other soldiers to this posting. They'll all be enlisted Dragoons save for an Non-Commissioned Officer, but they should behave as long as you don't somehow wander off on your own."

"Oh? We're travelling with company?" Evelyn lifted her eyes from the map, back to the Dragoon. This whole time, she had been under the impression that she were to travel alone, with just Aria, and no-one else, but that didn't seem to be the case. Although surprised, the white-haired Espean was also somewhat relieved, as that just meant a safer journey. If something were to happen on the way there, there would not be just one, but six soldiers keeping her out of harm's way.

Evelyn took a deep exhale of the stuffy air filling the barracks. "Just, uhh... say the word, and I'm ready to leave. I don't have anything left in this city." She stated in a simple manner. Not only did she not have anything she wanted to do in Noringa, Evelyn also wanted out of the war-damaged city. Despite soon being on the road to an active war zone, she still felt uncomfortable in the city, as it felt like she was still surrounded by the acts and results of war, despite the streets being empty for the most part.

sek_cloe.png

"Oh? We're travelling with company?" Evelyn lifted her eyes from the map, back to the Dragoon. This whole time, she had been under the impression that she were to travel alone, with just Aria, and no-one else, but that didn't seem to be the case. Although surprised, the white-haired Espean was also somewhat relieved, as that just meant a safer journey. If something were to happen on the way there, there would not be just one, but six soldiers keeping her out of harm's way.

Evelyn took a deep exhale of the stuffy air filling the barracks. "Just, uhh... say the word, and I'm ready to leave. I don't have anything left in this city." She stated in a simple manner. Not only did she not have anything she wanted to do in Noringa, Evelyn also wanted out of the war-damaged city. Despite soon being on the road to an active war zone, she still felt uncomfortable in the city, as it felt like she was still surrounded by the acts and results of war, despite the streets being empty for the most part.

Aria hid her since well enough for Evelyn to not notice, but her smile thinning out into something of an understanding frown. "Of course she'd want to leave Noringa quickly." She thought to herself. The city was still scarred from its siege and subsequent occupation, and Evelyn looked uncomfortable with the notion of war in general, let alone a war-torn city with barely any of its original inhabitants left. Aria probably would be too if their positions were switched...

"... Well then, I suppose that means I shouldn't keep a lady like you waiting for long, huh?" Aria brought back her more usual smile and confidence, opening the door once more. "Good thing it's still early in the morning; I'll get to it packing my saddlebags and gathering the men while before the sky turns fully blue." Already, Aria was going this way and that in the small room, opening drawers and reaching under places to gather together her personal belongings. Did this mean Evelyn would see Aria in her full armor? The Dragoon had already begun strapping her breastplate on, and despite the seeming challenge of someone putting on plate armor by themselves, Aria looked practiced enough to not need assistance (not that Evelyn might've been able to).

"Oh, could you keep Serry company down in the stables meantime? I shouldn't take more than a few minutes getting everything ready!"

Aria hid her since well enough for Evelyn to not notice, but her smile thinning out into something of an understanding frown. "Of course she'd want to leave Noringa quickly." She thought to herself. The city was still scarred from its siege and subsequent occupation, and Evelyn looked uncomfortable with the notion of war in general, let alone a war-torn city with barely any of its original inhabitants left. Aria probably would be too if their positions were switched...

"... Well then, I suppose that means I shouldn't keep a lady like you waiting for long, huh?" Aria brought back her more usual smile and confidence, opening the door once more. "Good thing it's still early in the morning; I'll get to it packing my saddlebags and gathering the men while before the sky turns fully blue." Already, Aria was going this way and that in the small room, opening drawers and reaching under places to gather together her personal belongings. Did this mean Evelyn would see Aria in her full armor? The Dragoon had already begun strapping her breastplate on, and despite the seeming challenge of someone putting on plate armor by themselves, Aria looked practiced enough to not need assistance (not that Evelyn might've been able to).

"Thank you." Evelyn sighed, feeling a bit of relief from Aria's decision to leave sooner rather than later. She rolled her shoulders one by one, slowly and carefully stretching a bit as her body did feel quite stiff still. Evelyn could have made the joke of having a frozen shoulder, but she really didn't feel like joking right now. She was far too nervous about the upcoming journey ahead.

"Oh, could you keep Serry company down in the stables meantime? I shouldn't take more than a few minutes getting everything ready!"

"Hm? Sure thing, I'll be waiting there." Evelyn replied, stopping her stretching for the moment. With a brief wave, she headed out the room, through the barracks, and into the stables. She walked past all the horses in their small pens, until she reached the one at the end of the building, with the familiar massive, dark stallion inside.

"Hey there." She greeted the horse with a faint smile, running her hand lightly across the muzzle of the warhorse. With a heavy thud, Evelyn sat down on a dense bale of hay next to Serendipity, just looking at the horse quietly. "Ahh, what do I do now, Serry..." She muttered, leaning back on the bale of hay, until she was laying down on it, just staring at the roof, and the cobwebs that had formed between the wooden beams there.

"Magic... war... I'm not cut out for these sorts of things..." She complained to the horse, who, despite snorting sympathetically to her ranting, couldn't really respond to it in a more meaningful way.

Evelyn raised a single hand up into the air, just holding it there with spread open fingers, staring at the white, cotton glove. It was scary. The thought of having power that she didn't know how to control. Evelyn didn't exactly know where to with that. She'd either just pray that she wouldn't accidentally freeze anything, or anyone, she touched, or she would have to learn to control it somehow.

That "somehow" was the problem, though. How would she do that? How do you learn something like that, when you can't even tell other people about your situation in the first place? Aria couldn't teach her, and Evelyn highly doubted there were any books on the subject either. It was all too confusing.

sek_cloe.png

With a brief wave, Evelyn headed out the room, through the barracks, and into the stables. She walked past all the horses in their small pens, until she reached the one at the end of the building, with the familiar massive, dark stallion inside.

"Hey there." She greeted the horse with a faint smile, running her hand lightly across the muzzle of the warhorse. With a heavy thud, Evelyn sat down on a dense bale of hay next to Serendipity, just looking at the horse quietly. "Ahh, what do I do now, Serry..." She muttered, leaning back on the bale of hay, until she was laying down on it, just staring at the roof, and the cobwebs that had formed between the wooden beams there.

"Magic... war... I'm not cut out for these sorts of things..." She complained to the horse, who, despite snorting sympathetically to her ranting, couldn't really respond to it in a more meaningful way.

Evelyn raised a single hand up into the air, just holding it there with spread open fingers, staring at the white, cotton glove. It was scary. The thought of having power that she didn't know how to control. Evelyn didn't exactly know where to with that. She'd either just pray that she wouldn't accidentally freeze anything, or anyone, she touched, or she would have to learn to control it somehow.

That "somehow" was the problem, though. How would she do that? How do you learn something like that, when you can't even tell other people about your situation in the first place? Aria couldn't teach her, and Evelyn highly doubted there were any books on the subject either. It was all too confusing.

Serendipity, ever the gentle giant that he was, had offered Evelyn quiet snorts and huffs for the farmgirl's sense of aimlessness. He was only a warhorse in the end; he'd never understand at a level that people like Aria or Evelyn would, but that didn't mean he couldn't offer some minor comfort when someone needed it.

With Evelyn laying back in the stable pen with Serendipity, it took quite some time for Aria to finish everything. Nearly a half-hour had passed since the Espean came down, and the Dragoon was nowhere in sight. Maybe she had a lot more to pack than Evelyn thought, or perhaps there was some business that she got caught up in-

"Sorry I'm late! The Regimental clerk took forever considering I'm only a Cornet!"

Speak of Aria, and she'd appear. The Dragoon had just marched in from outside rather than from the door leading to the inn, and it it suddenly made a lot of sense why Aria called herself a "Steel Dragoon". Fully-clad, Aria looked closer and closer to a knight with how much steel she wore and carried. Her breastplate was almost impossible to spot under the straps and bindings carrying her weaponry; the massive intricate pauldrons on her shoulders flared wide near the top like a collar, and the gold chains underneath each shoulderpiece wriggled with every step Aria took. Even her sturdy leather boots had steel plating strapped overtop, and the wide tails of her greatcoat were entirely clad, almost like a complete skirt of armor. In one hand, Aria carried her rifled musket. The glint of its bayonet nearly dragged along the ground before Aria swung it over to hang on her shoulder.

All this paled in comparison to the shield Aria carried in her off-hand.

By all metrics, it was absurd to even look at. Little more than a solid chunk of metal, it was as heavy as it looked to Evelyn's eyes. The shield was likely thick enough to shrug off anything short of a siege weapon; the fact that there wasn't even a dent among the field of scratches and scuffs was telling of its brute strength!

And Aria carried it like it was a paperweight! The thing had to be as heavy as her, yet the diminutive girl had no problem lugging it around!

sek_cloe.png

"Sorry for making you wait for so long; I had to wait awhile before my assigned Sergeant came back with four other men in tow!" Aria's massive shield (if it could even be called that) made a resounding *thump* when she set it down on the ground, revealing that she had been carrying a large saddlebag slung over her back.

"Was Serry behaving while I was gone? He can be a handful when he gets bored!"

Serendipity, ever the gentle giant that he was, had offered Evelyn quiet snorts and huffs for the farmgirl's sense of aimlessness. He was only a warhorse in the end; he'd never understand at a level that people like Aria or Evelyn would, but that didn't mean he couldn't offer some minor comfort when someone needed it.

With Evelyn laying back in the stable pen with Serendipity, it took quite some time for Aria to finish everything. Nearly a half-hour had passed since the Espean came down, and the Dragoon was nowhere in sight. Maybe she had a lot more to pack than Evelyn thought, or perhaps there was some business that she got caught up in-

"Sorry I'm late! The Regimental clerk took forever considering I'm only a Cornet!"

Speak of Aria, and she'd appear. The Dragoon had just marched in from outside rather than from the door leading to the inn, and it it suddenly made a lot of sense why Aria called herself a "Steel Dragoon". Fully-clad, Aria looked closer and closer to a knight with how much steel she wore and carried. Her breastplate was almost impossible to spot under the straps and bindings carrying her weaponry; the massive intricate pauldrons on her shoulders flared wide near the top like a collar, and the gold chains underneath each shoulderpiece wriggled with every step Aria took. Even her sturdy leather boots had steel plating strapped overtop, and the wide tails of her greatcoat were entirely clad, almost like a complete skirt of armor. In one hand, Aria carried her rifled musket. The glint of its bayonet nearly dragged along the ground before Aria swung it over to hang on her shoulder.

All this paled in comparison to the shield Aria carried in her off-hand.

By all metrics, it was absurd to even look at. Little more than a solid chunk of metal, it was as heavy as it looked to Evelyn's eyes. The shield was likely thick enough to shrug off anything short of a siege weapon; the fact that there wasn't even a dent among the field of scratches and scuffs was telling of its brute strength!

And Aria carried it like it was a paperweight! The thing had to be as heavy as her, yet the diminutive girl had no problem lugging it around!

While waiting for Aria, Evelyn had begun to yawn, and feel a bit more tired, as time passed by. As the promised "few minute" -wait turned into thirty, Evelyn closed her eyes, the bale of hay suddenly feeling like the softest bed she had ever laid her body on top of. She didn't get to fall asleep fully, as right as she was about to drift into dreamland, she could hear heavy metal clunking around, followed by Aria's voice coming from the opposite end of the stables.

Evelyn quickly opened her eyes, and propped herself back up to sit on the bale. "Ah, it's fine, there are worse places to wait." She answered casually, unable to resist yawning during her sentence.

Rubbing her eyes a bit to clear them from her tiredness, Evelyn took a closer gander at all the armour covering the Dragoon. Honestly, she was surprised that Aria could even move! She didn't exactly look like the muscle-y type to her, especially considering her height, but apparently, looks could be deceiving. Especially when it came down to the shield, if you could even call it that!

To Evelyn's untrained eye, the massive slab of metal looked like something you'd cut two regular size shields out of, and still have some left over. But if Aria could handle it so easily, then Evelyn was more than glad. If they happened to be pelted by arrows, Gods forbid, they'd definitely be safe behind a shield of such size.

"Sorry for making you wait for so long; I had to wait awhile before my assigned Sergeant came back with four other men in tow!" Aria's massive shield (if it could even be called that) made a resounding *thump* when she set it down on the ground, revealing that she had been carrying a large saddlebag slung over her back.

"Was Serry behaving while I was gone? He can be a handful when he gets bored!"

"Serry?" Evelyn glanced at the dark charger. "We just had a nice conversation, he was more than polite." Evelyn chuckled briefly, as she got up from the bale of hay to stand up. She turned her eyes from the horse to the saddlebag Aria was slinging around, staring curiously at it. "What's inside the bags?" She quizzed, moving out of the way, so that the Dragoon could set it up on Serendipity correctly.

sek_cloe.png

"Serry?" Evelyn glanced at the dark charger. "We just had a nice conversation, he was more than polite." Evelyn chuckled briefly, as she got up from the bale of hay to stand up. She turned her eyes from the horse to the saddlebag Aria was slinging around, staring curiously at it. "What's inside the bags?" She quizzed, moving out of the way, so that the Dragoon could set it up on Serendipity correctly.

"Nothing terribly interesting, I'm afraid." The Dragoon easily replied as she slung her musket into a long holster mounted on the saddle. "An extra uniform in case the one I'm wearing right now is torn up beyond saving, maps of the region, my journal, and some nightclothes and undergarments. All those are staying in the saddlebag."

The process of mounting her gear up on Serendipity proved to be a lot, especially after Aria made the warhorse lay down so she could better hook everything in place. First it was her musket and sabre, put into place right behind where Aria's legs would be. Next was a small, thin bedroll that Aria produced from her saddlebag; that wound up tucked away behind the saddle seat where it didn't bother anyone. Then a canteen, a folded tin pan, some rope tied behind the musket, a tiny sack of who-knew-what tied behind the sabre, her pistol holstered at the front of the saddle where it could be drawn easily; it was increasingly obvious that the saddle was meant for long campaigns where the rider had to carry light.

1690916881685.png
By the time Aria was done, the only thing still in her saddlebags were extra clothes and her personal effects. All things considered, everything that wasn't in the saddlebags was compacted together really well. Serendipity's flanks wound up carrying both the saddlebag and the oversized shield once Aria was done; the bag on one side and the shield on the other. It looked invariably goofy seeing an otherwise travel-ready kit together with something that could very well stop a trebuchet shot dead in its tracks.

Serendipity didn't seem bothered by the weight he was carrying (then again, he was disproportionately massive and strong), standing up just fine as Aria made some final checks to make sure nothing would come loose or accidentally fall off during the long ride.

"Alright, looks like everything's set!" The Dragoon said with satisfaction, taking a step back to properly appreciate her dark charger before something occurred to her: There was only enough room in the seat for one.

"... Shoot."

Last edited:

"Nothing terribly interesting, I'm afraid." The Dragoon easily replied as she slung her musket into a long holster mounted on the saddle. "An extra uniform in case the one I'm wearing right now is torn up beyond saving, maps of the region, my journal, and some nightclothes and undergarments. All those are staying in the saddlebag."

The process of mounting her gear up on Serendipity proved to be a lot, especially after Aria made the warhorse lay down so she could better hook everything in place. First it was her musket and sabre, put into place right behind where Aria's legs would be. Next was a small, thin bedroll that Aria produced from her saddlebag; that wound up tucked away behind the saddle seat where it didn't bother anyone. Then a canteen, a folded tin pan, some rope tied behind the musket, a tiny sack of who-knew-what tied behind the sabre, her pistol holstered at the front of the saddle where it could be drawn easily; it was increasingly obvious that the saddle was meant for long campaigns where the rider had to carry light.

1690916881685.png
By the time Aria was done, the only thing still in her saddlebags were extra clothes and her personal effects. All things considered, everything that wasn't in the saddlebags was compacted together really well. Serendipity's flanks wound up carrying both the saddlebag and the oversized shield once Aria was done; the bag on one side and the shield on the other. It looked invariably goofy seeing an otherwise travel-ready kit together with something that could very well stop a trebuchet shot dead in its tracks.

Serendipity didn't seem bothered by the weight he was carrying (then again, he was disproportionately massive and strong), standing up just fine as Aria made some final checks to make sure nothing would come loose or accidentally fall off during the long ride.

"Alright, looks like everything's set!" The Dragoon said with satisfaction, taking a step back to properly appreciate her dark charger before something occurred to her: There was only enough room in the seat for one.

"... Shoot."

Evelyn just observed quietly, watching Aria expertly pack everything onto the horse in a compact and neat manner. It was obvious that she had done this process many times before, even solely based on the fact that the dark charger didn't seem phased by any of the weight at all.

After everything was set up and Aria took a step backwards, letting both ladies take one last glance over all the packed up equipment, the same thought seemed to occur to both of them at the same time.

"Err... where exactly do I sit...?" Evelyn questioned carefully, having a closer look at the small saddle, that was far from being able to fit two people on it. She didn't really want to question Aria, as based on her previous fluidity of packing her belongings, she clearly knew what she was doing, but simultaneously... there was just no way Evelyn would fit on the same saddle.

Would she have to walk now? No, that'd be ridiculous! Even if she wasn't exactly a member of the Dragoons, or the military in general at all, they wouldn't make her do that, would they? No, of course not.

"Because, it kind of looks like..." She continued, glancing at Aria with a slightly doubtful look. Surely she had thought of this beforehand, right? It wasn't strange of Evelyn to except that Aria had made the plans for travelling as two people, right?

"Like... it only fits one?" She finally finished off the slow-paced question, switching eye contact between Aria and Serendipity.

sek_cloe.png

"Err... where exactly do I sit...?" Evelyn questioned carefully, having a closer look at the small saddle, that was far from being able to fit two people on it.

"Because, it kind of looks like..." She continued, glancing at Aria with a slightly doubtful look. Surely she had thought of this beforehand, right? It wasn't strange of Evelyn to except that Aria had made the plans for travelling as two people, right?

"Like... it only fits one?" She finally finished off the slow-paced question, switching eye contact between Aria and Serendipity.

"The original plan was having you sit up on the cantle behind me since I used to do that with my younger siblings. But now that the saddle's fully laden, I don't think that plan is going to work..." Aria let out a sigh as she patted Serendipity to lay down again. "Yeah no, the saddle won't fit us both with me in front..."

Aria hopped up Serendipity and snuggly fitted herself in where she would normally ride. As she quickly figured, it was impossible for Evelyn to comfortably fit herself behind Aria, not unless they fancied the former sitting half-off the saddle with her legs brushing against Aria's sabre and musket during the ride. That wasn't going to work...

Then Aria had an idea. "Hmm... How about...?" Lifting herself off the seat, Aria began scooting back until she was seated on the rear lip of the saddle. It took a few tries and Aria tucking her legs in a weird half-kneel, half-straddle, but Aria's small size worked to her advantage in keeping her balance. This left the seat of the saddle empty for Evelyn to ride in, though Aria couldn't help but feel a tiny bit precarious with her improvisation. Riding with a passenger in-front was going to be highly awkward given Aria's uncomfortable position and size difference, but it was the best idea she could immediately come with.

"Hmm... This might work? Hey, climb up into the saddle, let's see if this works." Evelyn fitted rather well in the seat after Aria helped hoist her into the saddle, and after a little more adjustments from the Dragoon, Aria too was in a steady enough seat that she wouldn't immediately fall off her improvised seat behind Evelyn. The fact that Aria's armor wasn't poking Evelyn in the back was an added bonus.

"Erm... This kind of works?" Of course, there was the inherent awkwardness that Aria had to peek around Evelyn's head to see where they were going. The feeling of Aria's arms reaching around Evelyn's sides in an awkward hug to take ahold of the reins was also... Let's just say that some people might get the wrong idea.

Last edited:

"The original plan was having you sit up on the cantle behind me since I used to do that with my younger siblings. But now that the saddle's fully laden, I don't think that plan is going to work..." Aria let out a sigh as she patted Serendipity to lay down again. "Yeah no, the saddle won't fit us both with me in front..."

Aria hopped up Serendipity and snuggly fitted herself in where she would normally ride. As she quickly figured, it was impossible for Evelyn to comfortably fit herself behind Aria, not unless they fancied the former sitting half-off the saddle with her legs brushing against Aria's sabre and musket during the ride. That wasn't going to work...
As Evelyn watched Aria hop on top of the saddle, she could already tell that the plan wouldn't work out. However, she held her tongue, as the Dragoon came to realize the same right after mounting the horse, prompting the move to a plan B.

Then Aria had an idea. "Hmm... How about...?" Lifting herself off the seat, Aria began scooting back until she was seated on the rear lip of the saddle. It took a few tries and Aria tucking her legs in a weird half-kneel, half-straddle, but Aria's small size worked to her advantage in keeping her balance. This left the seat of the saddle empty for Evelyn to ride in, though Aria couldn't help but feel a tiny bit precarious with her improvisation. Riding with a passenger in-front was going to be highly awkward given Aria's uncomfortable position and size difference, but it was the best idea she could immediately come with.

"Hmm... This might work? Hey, climb up into the saddle, let's see if this works." Evelyn fitted rather well in the seat after Aria helped hoist her into the saddle, and after a little more adjustments from the Dragoon, Aria too was in a steady enough seat that she wouldn't immediately fall off her improvised seat behind Evelyn. The fact that Aria's armor wasn't poking Evelyn in the back was an added bonus.

As Aria hopped on top of the stallion, and began to shift backwards on top of it, even Serendipity looked puzzled, an expression Evelyn shared with the horse. Evelyn's confusion soon faded away, though, as the saddle was freed up for her to sit in. The only problem was that she'd be in the front now, instead of Aria.

"If you say so..." Evelyn replied with a bit of doubt to the instruction to mount Serry, but did so anyway. She picked up a few jogging steps, hopped and pulled on whatever she could grasp, managing to just pull herself on top of the tall horse without falling down.
"Erm... This kind of works?" Of course, there was the inherent awkwardness that Aria had to peek around Evelyn's head to see where they were going. The feeling of Aria's arms reaching around Evelyn's sides in an awkward hug to take ahold of the reins was also... Let's just say that some people might get the wrong idea.

"Uhm...." Evelyn hummed, trying to get used to the somewhat awkward situation. She turned her head slightly to look at the shorter lady behind her, doing her best to steer the horse somehow. In an attempt to somehow make it easier for Aria, Evelyn lowered her shoulders a bit, making it at least minimally easier for the Dragoon to gaze over them. Despite that, Evelyn figured that if they were to travel like this the entirety of the four days, one, if not both of them, would have a sore neck afterwards.

With the vision problem "solved", Evelyn glanced down at the slim hands appearing from either side, holding on the reins. "Do you want me to hold on to the reins instead...?" She offered with a slightly awkward chuckle. She knew that Aria most likely wouldn't be all that excited by the idea, but this couldn't have been comfortable for her either.

sek_cloe.png

"Uhm...." Evelyn hummed, trying to get used to the somewhat awkward situation. She turned her head slightly to look at the shorter lady behind her, doing her best to steer the horse somehow. In an attempt to somehow make it easier for Aria, Evelyn lowered her shoulders a bit, making it at least minimally easier for the Dragoon to gaze over them. Despite that, Evelyn figured that if they were to travel like this the entirety of the four days, one, if not both of them, would have a sore neck afterwards.

With the vision problem "solved", Evelyn glanced down at the slim hands appearing from either side, holding on the reins. "Do you want me to hold on to the reins instead...?" She offered with a slightly awkward chuckle. She knew that Aria most likely wouldn't be all that excited by the idea, but this couldn't have been comfortable for her either.

"It's alright; I think this should be able to work for the meantime! I should be able to hand you the reins once we're on the road proper though, so don't worry until then." Aria at least had some confidence when she managed to give the reins a light snap, willing Serendipity forward and out of the stables at a gentle trot. It was once the three were outside on horseback that Evelyn could fully appreciate riding atop a magnificent charger. Serendipity exuded such an aura of confidence and power that it was hard not to feel like some sort of Hero on a quest to slay the dragon; if only she had a sword to complete the image!

There were obvious downsides however. Some people gave the two odd looks, and others still would conspicuously murmur while Evelyn could still see them. Most quickly shut up when Aria made her presence known from behind Evelyn; Aria being an Officer was apparently enough to ward off anything worse. Aria herself proved a capable navigator even with the partially-obstructed vision she had to contend with, not once needing to turn around or second-guess herself for the slow tour through war-torn Noringa.

Soon enough, Aria had led Serendipity to their destination: the still-standing gates that served as Noringa's central entrance and exit. The once tall oaken doors with steel bands were marred with ugly dents and tears, the surrounding stone walls little better with entire chunks having been blasted off from the siege and battle for control of the city. It was hard for Aria to not grimace at what had once been an awe-inspiring sight, reduced to a sad scarred shell of it's former glory.

Awaiting in the shadow of the gate were five other men on horses of their own. All of them looked like hardened professional, good at their jobs and ready for a long slog, if necessary. Each wore the same blood-red greatcoat and armor that Aria herself wore, although it was obvious that most of them wore coats and armor that ill-fitted them. The man that seemed the apparent leader of the five was tall and brawny, clearly in his late twenties, and sporting some of the most impressive sideburns Evelyn would likely ever see in her life. He carried himself with the sort of confidence that could only come someone who'd seen too much war, a scratched and scuffed blunderbuss slung over his shoulder.

"... Uh... Who're you then?"

"I'm right here, Sergeant Lanzrel." Thankfully Aria spoke up and poked her head over Evelyn's shoulder, eliciting a snappy salute from the five men, with a synchronized "Ma'am!"

"Uh, glad to see you with us Ma'am, but... Who's this 'ere in front of you?"

"It's alright; I think this should be able to work for the meantime! I should be able to hand you the reins once we're on the road proper though, so don't worry until then." Aria at least had some confidence when she managed to give the reins a light snap, willing Serendipity forward and out of the stables at a gentle trot. It was once the three were outside on horseback that Evelyn could fully appreciate riding atop a magnificent charger. Serendipity exuded such an aura of confidence and power that it was hard not to feel like some sort of Hero on a quest to slay the dragon; if only she had a sword to complete the image!

There were obvious downsides however. Some people gave the two odd looks, and others still would conspicuously murmur while Evelyn could still see them. Most quickly shut up when Aria made her presence known from behind Evelyn; Aria being an Officer was apparently enough to ward off anything worse. Aria herself proved a capable navigator even with the partially-obstructed vision she had to contend with, not once needing to turn around or second-guess herself for the slow tour through war-torn Noringa.
"Sure, that's fine by me." Evelyn agreed to the proposition, but still remained somewhat doubtful that this seating configuration would work out. Luckily, she was wrong, and Aria managed to start navigating them outside the stables without any issues, through the war-torn city of Noringa. Somehow, Evelyn doubted that the post they were headed for next looked any better, but she still couldn't wait to get out of this city, and all the ruined buildings it held.

Riding through the city, the two riders on top of the massive horse definitely received their fair share of stares, but Evelyn didn't pay them any mind. If she were in their shoes, she would have stared as well! After all, just the sheer size of the charger was enough to warrant a long look or two.

Soon enough, Aria had led Serendipity to their destination: the still-standing gates that served as Noringa's central entrance and exit. The once tall oaken doors with steel bands were marred with ugly dents and tears, the surrounding stone walls little better with entire chunks having been blasted off from the siege and battle for control of the city. It was hard for Aria to not grimace at what had once been an awe-inspiring sight, reduced to a sad scarred shell of it's former glory.

Awaiting in the shadow of the gate were five other men on horses of their own. All of them looked like hardened professional, good at their jobs and ready for a long slog, if necessary. Each wore the same blood-red greatcoat and armor that Aria herself wore, although it was obvious that most of them wore coats and armor that ill-fitted them. The man that seemed the apparent leader of the five was tall and brawny, clearly in his late twenties, and sporting some of the most impressive sideburns Evelyn would likely ever see in her life. He carried himself with the sort of confidence that could only come someone who'd seen too much war, a scratched and scuffed blunderbuss slung over his shoulder.
Once the two ladies arrived at the large gates of the city, they were met by the other soldiers, joining the long journey to the post. Evelyn could immediately recognize them to be such based on how similar their equipment looked to Aria's, at least in design. Though apart from the clothing, she wasn't exactly sure how many similarities Aria shared with the other dragoons.
"... Uh... Who're you then?"

"I'm right here, Sergeant Lanzrel." Thankfully Aria spoke up and poked her head over Evelyn's shoulder, eliciting a snappy salute from the five men, with a synchronized "Ma'am!"

"Uh, glad to see you with us Ma'am, but... Who's this 'ere in front of you?"

Evelyn was somewhat impressed by the sudden salutes that Evelyn received with such a simple motion. She supposed that Aria held some rank over the others, but she wasn't exactly sure how much.

As this "Sergeant Lanzrel", with the quite remarkable pair of sideburns, questioned who Evelyn was, the white-haired lady replied in as simple of a manner as one possibly could. "I'm Evelyn." She raised her hand to form a brief wave. After the slightly awkward greeting, she quickly came to the realization that an introduction like that wasn't exactly what the man was looking for from her.

"I'm, erm..." She began, thinking of what to say, and how to explain her situation. Fortunately, Evelyn knew better than to try and lie and just make herself look more suspicious. Instead, she lightly nudged Aria with her elbow a few times, trying to prompt her to answer the question on her behalf with a more fitting answer than the bad liar that Evelyn was.

sek_cloe.png

As this "Sergeant Lanzrel", with the quite remarkable pair of sideburns, questioned who Evelyn was, the white-haired lady replied in as simple of a manner as one possibly could. "I'm Evelyn." She raised her hand to form a brief wave. After the slightly awkward greeting, she quickly came to the realization that an introduction like that wasn't exactly what the man was looking for from her.

"I'm, erm..." She began, thinking of what to say, and how to explain her situation. Fortunately, Evelyn knew better than to try and lie and just make herself look more suspicious. Instead, she lightly nudged Aria with her elbow a few times, trying to prompt her to answer the question on her behalf with a more fitting answer than the bad liar that Evelyn was.

Thankfully, Aria was quick to pick up Evelyn's discomfort and cover for her. "She isn't anybody you lot need to concern yourselves over, Sergeant. All you need to know is that she's a guest, so act like gentlemen, aye?"

"Aye Ma'am; we'll be behaved."

"Good! Now Listen up!" The way Aria spoke and carried herself was vastly different from how she had interacted with Evelyn. She was still the same confident and composed lady Evelyn saw, but the friendliness and kindness she saw had been replaced with an air of maturity and leadership. She stood (sat?) tall from her seat behind the farmgirl, and her voice was equal parts commanding and inspiring, making the soldiers sit that little bit straighter in their saddles.

"I'm sure Sergeant Lanzrel already gave you the long and short of it, but we're moving to an outpost at the River Kharan. We'll be at the front lines proper, which means Calligians could be anywhere ready to put an arrow through your head. Keep your heads on a swivel and those carbines ready to draw at a moment's notice; we're not taking chances just because we control the surrounding area!"

Aria nodded to her second... "Standard formation, Sergeant. Let's get to it and on the road." ...who snapped to work getting the enlisted Dragoons into a proper formation. "Alright, you know the drill: single file right behind the Cornet; let's go!" It was an orderly chaos as Aria raised her head to above the gates, and let out a loud whistle with her gloves fingers. "Cornet Brakava! Open the gate!"

The sudden noise all around Evelyn must've felt overwhelming; the Dragoons noisily organizing themselves into a neat line behind Serendipity was outdone by the faint shouting of Tierran sentries opening the battle-damaged gates with a heavy cream and groan. Aria and Serendipity were the only constant that proved an anchor of serenity in the chaos, both being cool-headed amidst the noise. Aria even let go of the reins with one hand to give an awkward half-hug around Evelyn's waist.

"We'll be alright. I won't let any harm come to you while I'm here with you."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back