Yseult DuBois [ APPROVED ]

Neon Valkyrie

She Who Is Called I Am
Human

Member Form

What do you expect from RP's? : Hmmm ... well, really I only have a few expectations; That people try to get along, even if there's conflict between characters. That everyone do their best to be inclusive, creative, and respectful. Finally, and I don't really consider this an expectation as much as a hope, that everyone write with others in mind.
Is the answer to the above question your expectation of this RP? Please Explain : Uh, no, in this case I expect everyone to kneel before Zod.
What kind of Experience do you have in Roleplaying? : Oh, all the experience. I've been roleplaying for a decade in one form or another, one website or another. Then there's those times with the psychiatrist ...
What genres of Roleplay do you like? : The short list would be the types I don't like; Arranged marriage, romantic slice-of-life, Quest roleplays, and Arena-style roleplays. I can't think of anything else that I'm not open to.
What times are you available? : Strange times, but at least say ... 6-7 days a week at one time or another. I'm on PST, but I work weird hours, often in the wee bits of the morning.
How long on average are you on? : Oh, hours and hours. I'll also pop online during breaks, but I refuse to post anything longer than a few sentences on my phone. It's just ... smartphones were not created to produce great literature.
How many posts a week do you think you can make? : A million and one, so long as they're one word each. Depends on the length, how much I have to back-reference or read, and whether or not anyone else is online when I am. Worst case scenario, a post a day. Best case scenario, I break RPNation's servers.
Are you willing to contribute in World building? Please Explain : Oh I'll blow up ya world if you let me, but it's not for me to monopolize world creation, and when I get going, I tend to be ... thorough? Obnoxious? Something along those lines. Sometimes it's best to keep things curt, lest the task of posting become an arduous and studious endeavour.
Would you be willing to play a role already setup? : Not unless it's just a general framework. I'm simply paralyzed with indecision when controlling a character that I haven't created, because I don't really know who they are on the brain-side.
Would you be willing to play an Antagonist? : Pffft, yes, yes, and yes, even though you only asked once.
Would you be willing to GM certain events? : Hmmm ... I will go for a soft yes. I would be happy to once I'm practised with your system, but not before then. I mean, I could come up with a plot and do the flavour-craft ...

General Traits

Character Picture:
8ae6298f-11ff-4a5a-abcb-4dfff6b67388_zps8qlde4rn.jpg

Character Role: Companion
Character Name: Yseult DuBois
Meaning of Name: Yseult; Fr. - Archer / DuBois; Fr. - "Of the wood." ~ (E-zuld Dew-Bwah)
Alias: Neophyte Priestess of the Church of Unification
Race: Human

Appearance
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 127 lbs
Hair: Brun
Eyes: Vert
Body Marks: N/A
Description: Yseult is a fair, slender girl of modest, almost boyish proportions. Thick locks of chocolate brown hair are cut short around her jawline, framing her delicate, youthful features while thick plumes of lashes frame her large, emerald eyes. Muscular despite her size, her labours are clear in the roughness of her hands and feet. Pale freckles are spattered across her nose and cheeks, arms, and presumably the rest of her.

Last edited:
Biography

Birth Place: Lorraine Island, Ildumar Archipelago
Date of Birth: Nware 16, 979 CYAD
Nationality: Easterner - Ildumarienne
Personality:
Determined - "Nothing is impossible, just temporarily out-of-reach."

Hardworking - "The maker rewards the deserving. If you want something, throw your whole self toward it, and when you've given enough, the world will reciprocate."

Selfless - "We are only as strong as the arms that hold us up, as stalwart as the hearts that stand behind us, as capable as the hands joined with ours."

Sheltered - "The priests taught me how a person SHOULD live outside the church walls ... but the actual LIVING of it continues to vex me."

Indecisive - "I have spent my life following the instructions of others. You cannot simply instruct me, now, to think for myself."

Naive - "Good men don't lie, and evil men don't pray."

Weaknesses: Institutionalized - Yseult has spent her entire life behind the walls of a monastery. She has about as much experience with the outside world as a young schoolchild.

History: One stormy day in Nware, 18 years ago, a priestess of the church of unification stepped out onto the steps of the cathedral on L'isle de Lorraine. There simply to survey the grey, rainy morning over a cup of hot tea, the woman wasn't terribly surprised to find a little, green eyed baby girl staring quietly up at her. The girl was skinny, wrapped in a pillowcase and laid carefully in a nest of burlap and wicker. A note had been clumsily scrawled, and folded, and tucked in with her wrappings, a note that read simply;

"This is my little angel, Yseult. She has her late mother's eyes, and I can no longer bear it. Please keep her safe, and tell her that I love her ... but I loved her mother first."

Yseult was raised as orphans are; her days were spent in school, her afternoons were spent doing chores around the church, and her nights were spent in the dorms with the other orphans and cast-outs. She was always happy to serve the people who took her in, and even pledged she would one day become a disciple herself. She worked hard; First to rise, last to bed, she leaned into her studies and advanced into vocational studies a year early.

It was there, on the verge of her future, that the high priest of the monastery called her aside. She was taken into his rectory, where he sat her down and placed a yellowed, cracked piece of paper across her lap. Taking a knee, he took her hand in his and offered a smile.

"Child," he said "You are on the verge of your future. You are terribly bright, and wonderfully devoted ... but the time has come for you to make a choice, and to hear a truth that's been kept from you these long years."

It was a week before she ate anything, curled up on her side in the farthest corner of the dormitory like a dying animal, her face perpetually chapped, her body trembling from sobbing and exhaustion and pain. It seemed like she'd broken for good until one morning she awoke to an epiphany; She loved her life at the monastery. She had friends, she was given the chance to learn, to live a life devoted to the maker. How could she be angry at her father for giving her over to that?

That day she began her studies as a priestess, electing the path of the Metatron for her devotions. A capable caster by the time the Journey of Unification rolled around, it seemed only natural she be among those nominated as an attendant. That she was chosen to fill one of only two roles is purely luck.

Life Skills: Cooking, sewing, woodcraft, knitting, knot-work, painting, reading, writing, drawing, and music theory, though she only knows how to play her flute.

Material Possessions

Clothing and Attire:

Modest Robes: Build for travelling, comfort, and generally being the only piece of clothing one owns, this long, darkened-azure garment is meant to inspire tranquility in onlookers. Tight in the shoulders, with a square collar and buttons down the front.
Under-things: A thin, white robe worn under her heavier garments for comfort, and modesty.
Coat: A long, patched, black leather coat lined in cotton, with a hood for story days.
Personal Items:
Stick: a rather hefty looking, 3-foot-long section of oak branch that Yseult picked up along the road one day after overhearing a comment that she'd be useless if a fight broke out.
Religious Focus: A silver medallion bearing the symbol of the church of unification, meant as a focus during prayer or spellcasting.
Pack: a brown canvas backpack she keeps her things in.
Flute: A wooden flute she bought at market one day.
Wooden comb: An ebony comb with a little white flower painted on the handle.
Craft supplies: A small bundle of crafting items including a needle and a bobbin of sturdy thread, knitting needles, a small pocket knife, a set of pencils and two sheets of paper.
Books: A journal, the scriptures of unification, and a tame romance novel.
Mess kit: a set of metal eating utensils, a plate, a cup, and a cook-pan for using over a fire.
Sparkwheel: A small, handheld tool for starting fires.
Waterskin: a waterskin ...

Last edited:
Combat Section

Metatron:
Description: A metatron has learned a few words in the language of creation. By force of faith and will, the speaker can use these words to affect the creatures around them.
Elemental Affinity: Light/Darkness/Fire
Types of Artes: HEAL/PNM/SPT
Base Stats: HP 4 / SE 21 / CCA: 6 ///

Special Ability: As a Disciple, Yseult is trained in detecting evil presences. This ability functions out to 10-feet, and does not highlight moral dubiousness, but provides a vague sense of proximity with regard to evil or malevolent magic or energy.

Personal Artes:

Arte level 1
Name of Arte: Curatus
Type: HEAL
Description: This word of power heals 1HP for a single target within thirty feet, or removes a single status ailment. Higher level SE/CCA can be paid to heal incrimentally more HP, or remove ailments of higher levels, to a max of 3.
Elemental: Light
Price: Purchased
Cost: 6 SE
CCA: 3

Arte level 2
Name of Arte: Septus
Type: SPT
Description: Target gains an additional die of a single type, chosen at the time of casting. The Arte effects only the next roll of that type, adding the additional roll free of cost. If unused, the Arte lasts for 2 rounds.
Price: Purchased
Cost: 12 SE
CCA: 6

Arte level 3
Name of Arte: Benedictus
Type: TiFLD
Description: As Curatus, but can affect multiple targets at once.
Price: 15 Token points
Cost: 18 SE
CCA: 9

Arte level 4
Name of Arte: Anathematus
Type: PNM
Description: Inflicts weakness on a creature for 4 turns, during which the target may not regain HP except by means of a level 4, or higher, healing Arte.
Elemental: Darkness
Price: 20 Token points
Cost: 24 SE
CCA: 12

Arte level 5
Name of Arte: Conreptus
Description: Inflicts a burning fever (poison) on a single target for 5 turns.
Elemental: Fire
Price: 25 Token points
Cost: 30 SE
CCA: 15

Last edited:
My apologies, I did not know you had completed your Combat section. I will review it so that it is not overpowered or even underpowered.

Look inside the quote to see any suggestions and changes.

Combat Section

Metatron:
Description: A metatron has learned a few words in the language of creation. By force of faith and will, the speaker can use these words to affect the creatures around them.
Elemental Affinity: Light/Darkness/Fire
Types of Artes: HEAL/PNM/SPT
Base Stats: HP 4 / SE 20 / CCA: 4 ///

It looks like you chose a custom class build rather than the suggested ones in the CS. The custom class allows you full control in selecting types of artes, elemental affinities, but the base stats should be as follows:
Base Stats: HP 4 / SE 15 / CCA: 3 /// Please modify your CS accordingly.

Special Ability: As a Disciple, Yseult is trained in detecting evil presences. This ability functions out to 10-feet, and does not highlight moral dubiousness, but provides a vague sense of proximity with regard to evil or malevolent magic or energy.

Personal Artes:

Arte level 1
Name of Arte: Curatus
Type: HEAL
Description: This word of power heals 1HP for a single target, or removes a single status ailment. Spell slots of higher levels can be sacrificed to heal more HP, or remove stronger ailments.
Price: 5 Token points
Cost: 6 SE
CCA: 3

What do you mean by 'spell slots of a higher level ' ?

Arte level 2
Name of Arte: Septus
Type: SPT
Description: Target creature gains a bonus die that can be used on one roll that round.
Price: 10 Token points
Cost: 12 SE
CCA: 6

Please add another die for a total of 2 die increase. Please also select which types to increase. ATK, DEF, EVA. There also needs to be a duration for the spell. My suggestion is anywhere between 2-4 turns.

Arte level 3
Name of Arte: Benedictus
Type: HEAL/FLD
Description: As Curatus, but in a 10-foot circle.
Price: 15 Token points
Cost: 18 SE
CCA: 9

I would guess that you are aiming for a TiFLD, Target Increase which basically breaks your targeting limitations and distance of spells becomes irrelevant.

Arte level 4
Name of Arte: Anathematus
Description: Inflicts weakness on a creature
Elemental: Darkness
Price: 20 Token points
Cost: 24 SE
CCA: 12

When casting status effects you need to choose the duration. For this I recommend 4 turns. I also recommend prevention of HP gain.

Arte level 5
Name of Arte: Conreptus
Description: Inflicts a burning fever (poison) on a single target.
Elemental: Fire
Price: 25 Token points
Cost: 30 SE
CCA: 15
This arte also requires a duration. I suggest 5 turns

Shin Positron Laser Shin Positron Laser Oh, hey, I just noticed your notes, I'll make the changes to my stats for the next post. As for my artes;

1) So I don't have to select elemental affinities or spell type restrictions? I can just go crazy? Because I'm happy to sacrifice that versatility for the increase in starting SE and CCA, otherwise I'll crack open my latin dictionary again and maybe vary up my spells a bit ... more of a skyrim, dragon-language vibe ... taught by father paarthurnax.

2) I mean that the spell allows her to cast it at the cost of a higher arte level to heal more points, basically one additional HP per arte level unlocked, and paying the appropriate amount of CCA and SE for the higher level arte. (ARGH, I've been so trained by D&D that I keep typing "spell," and having to go back and edit it to "arte.")

3) Would you be open to the spell allowing only one die, but letting me choose which die to buff at the time of casting? Or a single die, and the target is allowed to select which die type to apply it to?

4) I was hoping to be able to apply a single health point to multiple targets within range, to a max of three, simultaneously. Having read over the combat system, it seems like the best way to go about that is arte techs and combos, but the explanation of the combat section wasn't up when I wrote these. I may re-tinker them all entirely, especially is the answer to my first question is "yes," ... well, and the second question.

5) I will implement those suggestions for the final two artes, and add durations you've suggested, as soon as you get back to me!

Shin Positron Laser Shin Positron Laser Oh, hey, I just noticed your notes, I'll make the changes to my stats for the next post. As for my artes;

1) So I don't have to select elemental affinities or spell type restrictions? I can just go crazy? Because I'm happy to sacrifice that versatility for the increase in starting SE and CCA, otherwise I'll crack open my latin dictionary again and maybe vary up my spells a bit ... more of a skyrim, dragon-language vibe ... taught by father paarthurnax.

2) I mean that the spell allows her to cast it at the cost of a higher arte level to heal more points, basically one additional HP per arte level unlocked, and paying the appropriate amount of CCA and SE for the higher level arte. (ARGH, I've been so trained by D&D that I keep typing "spell," and having to go back and edit it to "arte.")

3) Would you be open to the spell allowing only one die, but letting me choose which die to buff at the time of casting? Or a single die, and the target is allowed to select which die type to apply it to?

4) I was hoping to be able to apply a single health point to multiple targets within range, to a max of three, simultaneously. Having read over the combat system, it seems like the best way to go about that is arte techs and combos, but the explanation of the combat section wasn't up when I wrote these. I may re-tinker them all entirely, especially is the answer to my first question is "yes," ... well, and the second question.

5) I will implement those suggestions for the final two artes, and add durations you've suggested, as soon as you get back to me!

1)Even with Custom class the HP/SE/CCA are limited to what you saw on the character sheet. It would not be zero to hero progression if that did not apply. You can always use the TP you gain regularly to boost those stats, but to start off with, the numbers given should stay as is.

2) Ah now I understand. I would like to limit the artes flexibility to level 3 maximum. APPROVED

3) I will allow the former, however you will need to limit the duration of the effect to 2 posts maximum.

4) There are passive abilities that specifically increase the number of targets, allies or enemies a player can aim towards. TiFLD allows the user to bypass the targeting limitations and apply an arte to as many players as possible in a single post.

Shin Positron Laser Shin Positron Laser
1) Oh ... I only ask because when you linked us to the character creation guidelines, Spiritualists got 4/20/4 to start and had the same basic layout as my character build. I can't find the thread anymore, but Believing Heart's stats are the base for a spiritualist, and she has the 4/20/4 spread. If the generalist has lower stats, I may just switch to being a mage or spiritualist with a similar build.

2) sounds good, and I will probably change up the other Arte that heals. Being able to heal everyone in a large area at just level 3 seems terribly OP.

3) Deal, that sounds perfectly reasonable.

4) As mentioned in 2), I'll probably just change up the Arte in question. Mass Heal is a pretty overpowered ability to get at just level 3. I'm also looking over the other two casters in the group and I think we all went for a really similar angle. I do want to retain the ability to remove status ailments and heal, but I noticed no one can revive a party-member, and where do you stand on like ... an Arte that just makes a nigh-impenetrable wall or simple structure for 5 rounds? A wellspring charm that, for 3 rounds, recharges 5 SE per turn for anyone standing inside? A ghostly armour spell that lends a player an additional DEF die for 5 rounds or blocks the damage from a single attack? A Cat's grace spell that lowers the threshold for EVA rolls? A summon spell that draws the ghosts of warriors to fight for the caster for 3 rounds (That one sounds complicated, but could simply be a damaging effect in the area surrounding the caster), or a sanctuary spell that renders characters inside of it unable to use ATK dice or damaging Artes? I'm just wondering how much versatility we have. Should we be thinking more like D&D, or like Final Fantasy?

Shin Positron Laser Shin Positron Laser
1) Oh ... I only ask because when you linked us to the character creation guidelines, Spiritualists got 4/20/4 to start and had the same basic layout as my character build. I can't find the thread anymore, but Believing Heart's stats are the base for a spiritualist, and she has the 4/20/4 spread. If the generalist has lower stats, I may just switch to being a mage or spiritualist with a similar build.

2) sounds good, and I will probably change up the other Arte that heals. Being able to heal everyone in a large area at just level 3 seems terribly OP.

3) Deal, that sounds perfectly reasonable.

4) As mentioned in 2), I'll probably just change up the Arte in question. Mass Heal is a pretty overpowered ability to get at just level 3. I'm also looking over the other two casters in the group and I think we all went for a really similar angle. I do want to retain the ability to remove status ailments and heal, but I noticed no one can revive a party-member, and where do you stand on like ... an Arte that just makes a nigh-impenetrable wall or simple structure for 5 rounds? A wellspring charm that, for 3 rounds, recharges 5 SE per turn for anyone standing inside? A ghostly armour spell that lends a player an additional DEF die for 5 rounds or blocks the damage from a single attack? A Cat's grace spell that lowers the threshold for EVA rolls? A summon spell that draws the ghosts of warriors to fight for the caster for 3 rounds (That one sounds complicated, but could simply be a damaging effect in the area surrounding the caster), or a sanctuary spell that renders characters inside of it unable to use ATK dice or damaging Artes? I'm just wondering how much versatility we have. Should we be thinking more like D&D, or like Final Fantasy?

Custom builds start off with the lowest stats. Please let me know soon if you are going to change your class.

If your level 3 arte is to become a TiFLD, it is not OP at all. Considering the rules of a TiFLD, which requires 15SE to initiate, and then the appropriate amount of SE each time the arte is applied. IHypothetically speaking, your character will not be able to heal every single party member for a few RL months easily. The points you need to accumulate to execute such an action are great.

When it comes to all those other suggestions, you will just have to write out some artes for approval. I am not too familiar with D&D or Final Fantasy much, you may use them as your inspiration if you wish, I try to keep the gameplay fun and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back