• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Yrantan adventures (Completed)

"Yeah, I don't know." Zach shrugged at Anna's proposition. It was clear that he did not feel very comfortable about it, but, what else could he do. Well, he could always go back to his thieving ways, and Odessand was a large enough town for him to go unnoticed. He just stood in silence, shifting uncomfortably, mulling over his choices, until he finally spoke. "I guess I can try being a model citizen for once." And he winked at Anna.

--

Finding Anna's parents did not prove to be such a difficult task after all. Thankfully she still had her badge of office and with it she managed to convince a city guard to divulge some information about Ambassador Penrose and his wife who were currently stated in a villa on the ridge of city's main square. The two went to search for it. Odessand was, much like Yranta, divided into districts. Only, they were only two of them here - one of the rich and one for the poor, separated only by the large market that served both sides.

Anna stopped another guard as they entered the main square, who pointed them right to the Penrose villa. As they reached the gate, family guardsmen stopped them.

"This is a private property, miss." One of them said. "You cannot enter without an appointment."
"I... I am Anna Penrose, daughter of Ambassador Penrose." She said as convincing as possible. The guard was about to laugh as he scanned Anna's disheveled appearance, but he abruptly stopped when she took out the Yranta Council sigil.
"And who are you?" The other guard looked at Zach with suspicion.
"I am her fiance." He said without a pause, arms crossed on his chest. "Now, will you let us through?" The guards were reluctant for a moment, but them opened the gate to the courtyard.

- "Fiance?"
- Go along with the story.

It was a relief to have found the place so quickly, but less so as the guards almost dismissed her entirely. Anna hadn't thought about it much until that moment, but she really must look like a mess. She brushed at her hair with her fingers and tried not to feel too self-conscious. It would only be shameful if it wasn't to be expected; she had been through a war, and that was before all the traipsing through the woods! Even if her parents would be appalled by her appearance, they would be happy to see her safe and relatively sound. She had no doubts.

Although, there was no telling what they would think if she told them she was engaged! Honestly, she should have known better than to let him improvise, but contradicting his claim right then might have gotten them both kicked out. It was a struggle not to say anything to Zach immediately, and she could only keep quiet until they were a few steps past the gate.

"Fiance?" she hissed at him, keeping her voice low as they continued in case one of the guards happened to overhear. Getting married to Zach was a surreal thing to imagine, mostly because she couldn't imagine him being married at all. He always struck her as someone who would be quite content in his bachelorhood -- could he just be trying to bother her as he liked to before? If so, he was succeeding. Anna frowned, almost a pout, and tried to overshadow any embarrassment with stern annoyance. "Why did you say that? That's not the sort of story I had in mind..."

"It is the easiest explanation." Zach shrugged casually. "I could've said that I'm your kidnapper or a vagrant you found and taken in, but that wouldn't be very plausible, would it?" He placed a hand on her shoulder and leaned in to whisper in her ear. "You parents will love me, don't worry." And he gave her that mocking smirk her always had in his repertoire.

Before Anna could respond, the butler greeted them at the entrance of the villa and, when Anna confirmed her identity, led them inside. Through the main hallway and directly in front of the heavy oak doors that led to a room on the first floor. Mr Penrose was in his office, as the butler explained. He knocked on the doors once and a voice from the inside invited him in. Anna's father. That intimidating and strict voice somehow sounded like the most tender music on this world to Anna's ears. It had been so long.

"Let them in, Carson." Mr Penrose said and the butler opened the doors just a bit wider so the two could walk inside. Then he made a respectful bow and left the room. Anna's father sat behind a desk, much like the one in his office back in Yranta. His hair had even more gray in it now, but his green eyes were as sharp as ever behind those glasses. When the two of them walked into the office, he did not portray any surprise, instead just scanning them coolly, expression hiding every emotion. "Anna." He finally said as a means of greeting, and he stood up, walking to stand directly in front of her. "Your mother will be pleased to see you." Then his eyes shifted to Zach. "And who is this?"
"I'm Zach. Anna's husband to be." Zach answered, his tone so sweet that it made Anna jerk back in astonishment. Mr Penrose just sighed.
"It seems we have a lot to talk about. Carson will show you to the bathroom and give you clean clothes." He stated. "We will talk after."

- Go change.
- Find your mother first.
- Talk with father first.

Anna was quiet all the way through the house, thinking of any number of plausible stories they could have gone with, but it was too late now. It was comforting in a way, to see Zach behaving like his old self again, but he really knew exactly how to get under her skin. Honestly, how was she supposed to explain an engagement to her parents?

Thankfully her father wasn't outwardly angry at the news, and while his stoicism could be difficult for her at times, for the moment Anna only thought of it as a blessing. Anger could come later if it had to -- now, it was a relief just to see him. The thought of introducing Zach, the rugged thief, to her family had been an intimidating one, but apparently acting was one of his many talents. He was laying it on thick, wasn't he! She resisted the urge to put her face in her hands and groan, instead just nodding stiffly to her father and to Carson.

"Yes, thank you." She sighed, eager to clean up get out of the clothes she'd been wearing for far too long. A few minutes to get herself together before she saw her mother wouldn't hurt, either. Before she went anywhere, however, she gave Zach a stern, warning glare; she did her best to convey 'don't say any more, please don't steal anything' with only a silent look. Not that he'd listen even if he got the message.

"Wow, your father is very cold." Zach said to Anna with a smirk, as Carson left them in the hallway to the bathrooms. There were two on this level, much like in their Yrantan home, so they did not need to wait for the other to finish first. The butler was so kind to notify them that their clothes will be left in front of the doors for them to take after they finish their baths. Zach went inside one of the bathrooms with a shrug. "I hope your mother is more like you. Then she's bound to like me right away." He winked at Anna and disappeared behind closed doors.

Some half an hour later, as Anna got out of her filthy riding uniform and finally managed to make herself feel more refreshed, there was a knock on the door of her bathroom. Still naked, she walked up to it, hoping to find Carson leaving the clean clothes for her to put on. But, instead, she heard her mother's voice, playfully conversing with another. Zach's of course.

"Anna, dear!" Mrs Penrose called. "Do come out! Oh, why didn't you write? Why didn't you tell me about your fiance? He's so adorable!" She said in her usual excited tone.
"Thank you, Mrs Penrose. But, it is me who is overwhelmed with your wonderful persona." Zach. Where in nine hells did he pull those words out of.
"Oh, stop it. You'll make me blush." Mrs Penrose giggled in a very girly manner. "Anna, how did you two get out? We were so worried since we did not receive any letters! Oh, I'm so glad that you are safe. And bearing wonderful news!"
"We somehow managed to escape Yranta together. It was difficult, but our love for each other kept us going." Zach again. Very serious for a blatant liar.
"Anna, come out here!" Her mother called.
"I'm naked, mother." Anna said, a bit frustrated.
"Oh, I'm sure both of us have seen you naked more than enough." Mrs Penrose answered and Anna imagined her wink to Zach. Then both of them laughed. "You clothes are here." She finally said. "I'll leave you two alone. But, don't take too long. Lunch is ready." And her footsteps trailed down the hallway.
"I knew you were just like your mother." Zach said as Mrs Penrose left. Then, in a whisper. "You'll need to come out to get your clothes. I'll be right here."

- Argue with Zach.
- Take your clothes.

Knowing Zach's true nature, Anna found his performance to be painfully saccharine, but of course her mother would be taken in by it. The fawning over him was one thing, but they didn't have to go on with the jokes! She wondered if embarrassment could actually be fatal. Zach must be having the time of his life.

"She only likes you because she has no idea what you're actually like! I hope you're proud of yourself -- I'm sure my mother is already making plans for the wedding..." Anna huffed at him through the door, not furious but clearly exasperated. Surely Zach wouldn't let the charade this progress that far, but she would have to think of some way out of it just in case.

Slowly, sheepishly she cracked the door open, but even though she wanted to act like it wouldn't bother her there was no way she could step into the hallway like this. Not with him there! Remembering their kiss in the woods, she suddenly slammed the door shut again. "Oh, you're awful! Just give me my clothes!"

There was no reply from Zach. And when Anna dared to peak through again, the hallway was empty. She quickly took the clothes laid out for her and put them on, and when she finally walked outside, Zach was on the far end of the hall, arms crossed on his chest smiling at her. "See, I'm not that awful." He said, like it was something to thank him for.

The two of them then made their way through the doors and into the main hallway, where Carson waited for them to show them to the dining room. The table was already set when they walked inside and the first course - a smoking hot soup, was brought out. The table was large, with a dozen chairs, but only two were occupied, with Anna's father sitting at the head of it and her mother on his right side. There were two set placed across from Mrs Penrose for the two of them to sit at.

"Anna, Zach!" She called. "Please sit! Tell us everything about your journey. We have had so little information." Mr Penrose just nodded, scanning them both with his piercing eyes.

- Tell them the truth.
- Paraphrase the story.
- Let Zach speak.

Tension and fake engagements aside, as they stepped into the dining room Anna began to feel much more at ease, comforted by the familiar. Zach's efforts on their journey had been appreciated, and probably life-saving, but to have genuine food again almost felt too good to be true.

Anna took her seat, wondering where to even start with their explanation. There was no way she could tell them everything now, even if she wanted to. There was just too much to tell, and her parents really did not need to know that she'd broken someone out of prison, or how connected she had been to the war at all. Still, she could tell the truth otherwise, and she thought to do it quickly. There was no telling what Zach would come up with this time, if she let him.

"I don't know how much you know," she started. "Well... it all happened very quickly. I was asked to help with the military, so Zach and I were separated at first, but..." Leaving out the details involving her more criminal activities and the painful memories that with them, she described their escape over the wall and their travels from there.

Mr and Mrs Penrose listened to Anna's story in silence, and Zach, staying in his role of a perfect fiance, respectfully nodded in agreement as she spoke, though his eyes were veiled in hidden grief as she talked about their trek trough the woods.

"Oh, honey..." Mrs Penrose held a hand on her chest, looking at Anna with compassion. "We are so sorry for leaving you alone in Yranta. But, we never expected..." She turned to her husband for support.
"Ulmo's attack was unpredictable." Mr Penrose nodded, leaving his fork down. The main course was brought out in the meantime and they all ate while listening to Anna. Zach seemed to be giving his best not to wolf down the whole plate.
"Unpredictable to say the least!" Mrs Penrose added. "Yranta was at peace with them for such a long time." She sighed. "Oh, I can just imagine in what state it is now. And our manor... probably now a home to some pompous Ulmo prick." She swore, quite differing from her lady like manner. Her eyes focused on Anna again. "And the staff, did they make it? What about that new steward? He was from Ulmo, wasn't he? Did he cause any trouble?"

Zach paused with his eating to look at Anna. There was quite a lot to say about Levon at that point. He might as well have been the person to lead Ulmo straight through the gates. But, Anna did not see him after her and Zach got separated. As a matter of fact, she never asked Zach was happened to him in that time. She opened her mouth to speak, but Zach spoke first.

"We do not know. We didn't return to the manor when the siege started." His tone was icy, but he quickly forced a smile on his face. "I'm sorry, Mr and Mrs Penrose, but we don't really know anything more than what Anna already told. And these memories are not very pleasant." He took a chance to put his arm over Anna's shoulders in faked affection.
"Right." Mr Penrose replied in his flat tone. "There is also a question of your engagement, Anna." His eyes stared right through her.
"Oh, dear." Anna's mother interrupted. "Those are the news that shine light on this day, even with Yranta fallen!" She clapped her hands with a joyous squeak. "Do tell us all about it! How did you two even meet? I don't remember you mentioning this fine gentleman to us when we were all in Yranta. Did you keep him a secret?"

- Improvise.
- Let Zach reply.
- Change the subject.

Before then, Anna hadn't considered that Zach and Levon had any interaction after what happened at the camp. They loathed each other after all, and Levon seemed fairly convinced at the time that the thief would have been killed. Since Zach was alive she assumed they hadn't met again, and yet... she gave him a sideways glance, but said nothing.

The subject changed, although she almost preferred that it hadn't. Anna stiffened -- there was no way she could come up with a convincing story on the spot, especially not anything that would fool her father. Zach's new, overly sweet persona was hard enough to bear as it is without having to make a backstory for it. More than anything Anna would love not to talk about their 'engagement' at all, but her mother wouldn't have that. If it wasn't now, it would be later.

"Why don't you tell them? You do so love to talk about it." she turned to smile at Zach, keeping her expression as genuine as possible. As frustrating as it was, she had to admit she was curious about what nonsense he would come up with this time.

Zach beamed at her suggestion. With a bright grin he turned to look at both her parents, but them simulated embarrassment and lowered his gaze down, still smiling.

"We met quite recently, actually." He begun, eyes finding Anna and giving her a loving look. "My sister and I moved to Yranta some time ago in order for her to attend the university. I was to be her caretaker."
"What is your family's name?" Mr Penrose interrupted.
"Collins. We are from the south, originally." Zach was not to be thrown off track. If he lied, he did not show it. "Anna and I met on the streets, in a cafe, just like you would expect people to meet these days." He chuckled softly, getting nods of approval from Mrs Penrose. "We talked and talked and found that we were very alike." He brushed aside his hair that had grown longer now. "I admit that I was soon, but I just knew that I would never find anyone who makes me feel the way Anna does. So, I asked for her hand in marriage just before the war started."
"Oh, you are so cute!" Mrs Penrose squealed in excitement.
"It's good to know what you want." Even Mr Penrose nodded. "I respect that."

Zach turned toward Anna, and brushed her cheek with his finger slightly, just a hint of mocking in his gaze. He was a good actor.

"But Zach," Anna's mother spoke. "If you don't mind me asking, where is your sister now?"
Zach's expression changed and a shadow rested on it now, his smile gone. "We were separated in Yranta. I couldn't find her." He said in a flat tone, not allowing any emotion to show.
"Oh, I'm sorry." Mrs Penrose put a hand on her chest. "I do hope she is alright."

The dinner went by fabulously, Zach talked and Anna's parents listened. Then they talked about the happenings in Odessand and their plans for the future. It seemed that Mr Penrose was only waiting for things to die down a bit before riding toward Yranta to assess the situation. But, with news scarce and the situation unstable, that would probably not happen in a month or more. They invited the two of them to stay in the villa as long as they wanted and plan on their wedding ceremony.

When the meal was over and everyone sated with chatter, they made their goodbyes and Carson led them upstairs into one of the big guest bedrooms. Of course, Anna's parents had to have a more modern view of the world and had to give them a joined room with a double bed. Just her luck. As Carson left them, Zach burst out laughing.

"So my wish will finally come true!" He said pointing to the bed. "I will spend the night in the same bed as you and supported by your parents, nevertheless!"

- Sleep together.
- Sleep on the sofa.
- Make Zach sleep on the sofa.

Anna had wondered if putting him on the spot would trip Zach up at all, but somehow he could spin a story in no time at all. Part of her had expected something more dramatic, but even his quaint little tale had managed to win over her father to some degree. It was honestly astonishing.

But thoughts of what had become of Yranta and Ulmo were enough to keep her distracted through much of their dinner, although she did her best to vaguely chime in with Zach's stories whenever it seemed that she must. She could only hope that news would come in soon; until it did, she would have her hands full anyway.

For once, Anna resented her parents' modern thinking, if only because Zach was reveling so much in it. "Oh, stop it! As I said -- only because they don't actually know you. If only you were that way in reality..." she sighed, pinching at her brow. Zach's roughness was charming in its own way, as much as she hated to admit it, but the trouble it caused her seemed to outweigh the benefits. She looked at the large, welcoming bed and allowed herself to feel a bit wistful before turning away. "Absolutely not! I'll just sleep on the sofa if I must."

At Anna's remark, Zach gave her a faked hurt look. "What ever do you mean?" He said, hand on his chest. "I have a wonderful personality!" Then he grinned wolfishly, showing his bright white teeth. Finally, when Anna chose the sofa as her place for the night he signed deeply. "You always manage to spoil all the fun." He smirked at her, but when she saw that Anna was serious and that she indeed walked over to the sofa, which looked quite uncomfortable, he caught her arm as she turned. "Don't." Zach said, his voice changed now, somehow sincere. "Take the bed, I can sleep on the floor for all I care." And he smiled, a smile that somehow managed to look very sweet.

Anna was about to respond, when he walked up to the bed and in one single motion pulled all the sheets and warm covers away from it and then arranged it on the sofa. The bed was left with only a pillow and a bare mattress. Anna was at a loss as to what to say, but Zach only chuckled. Without any sort of cover, and with the weather much colder than in Yranta, Anna would be trembling through the night.

"Hey, you can always call the butler and request new bedding, but that would rouse suspicion, wouldn't it?" He smirked, pretty amused by his own malice. "Or you can ask me nicely and I'll keep you warm tonight."

- Argue.
- Request new covers.
- Plead with Zach.

Last edited:
For a moment, Anna thought that he might really be serious. She had even been about to thank him for being so thoughtful, for once. But even now Zach's sincerity was a ruse, which she should have known from the start. That she almost fell for it was undeniably embarrassing.

"Zach, please!" she huffed, her eyes narrowed into a glare. "Can't you just be reasonable for once? I'm trying..." she stopped mid-sentence shook her head, too familiar with where this road would lead. Arguing with him never did any good, and she could be an actress too! It looked like a change in strategy might be in order.

"Please, Zach?" She repeated as she stepped closer to him and the sofa, softer this time and with a bat of her eyelashes. Surely he expected her to puff up in anger like she usually did, so acting sweet might knock him off his guard. Hopefully it would be distracting enough to let her swipe some blankets back, at least.

Zach laughed, obviously amused with himself and Anna's behaviour. He made a gesture of wiping an imaginary tear out of the corner of his eye. When he noticed her going for the blankets, he caught her wrist and then pulled her down to the sofa, landing on top of her quite on purpose. His breath was warm on her cheek, voice husky as he whispered.

"As far as anyone here knows we are soon to be married. Why don't we act like it?" His tone was very serious, though you could never know with him. His eyes met Anna's. "Ever since I burst into your bedroom that night, I wanted to have you. And I could have. But, it wouldn't be as fun if you resisted." He smirked. "You must feel something similar, otherwise you would have left me a long time ago." It was true that Anna dragged Zach along in spite of everything. This situation was bound to happen... again.

- Refuse him.
- Explain you want to be friends.
- Have fun.

Last edited:
So much for that idea -- clearly she couldn't outsmart him here. Anna pouted, trying to squirm out from under him but failing there too. Wishing that she was stronger, she gave in with one last hit to his shoulder.

"Because we are not actually soon to be married, that's why!" she snapped, and then let out a heavy sigh. "Obviously I don't hate you, I wouldn't have brought you here if I did. You're a good man, somewhere deep down, but you're just so... ugh!"

Anna shook her head, unable to find whatever word she had been searching for. He was too much to sum up in just a word, and he would surely just laugh at whatever she came up with. "A-anyway, I can't act so casually about this sort of thing. It might be like a game to you, but it isn't to me."

Zach shrugged off Anna's rejection, but did not persist on it, which was unexpected of him. He simply let her be that night and many nights to come. They shared a room, but he slept on sofa and, even though Anna was reluctant to close her eyes at first, some days later when it was obvious that he would not attempt anything, she found herself sleeping like a baby. some night, though, she was awakened by a sound, only to catch a glimpse of Zach disappearing through the bedroom window. Old habits died hard, but where he went in the middle of the night, Anna never found out. All she had were assumptions - Zach would sometimes change his demeanor completely, losing his signature smirk, eyes turning vacant. He would get that distant look to him and would stay eerily silent, which led Anna to suppose that his nightly disappearances led him somewhere far away where he could think about event that transpired.

- Anna never followed him nor asked about his feelings.
- Anna followed him one night.
- Anna insisted on talking about it.

Otherwise, days went by, then weeks, when months. Everything stayed much the same. There were no news from Yranta, not even a peep. It seemed that all contact with the city was abruptly cut off, not only toward Odessand, but also with every other neighboring city-state. Anna's father was restless and all talk about her wedding was stopped, as other more serious matters took the main focus, which was one good thing to come out of it. Mr Penrose prepared slowly for his trip to Yranta, but every morning that he decided to go, his wife would stop him, most of the times shouting and aruging, but some times begging and pleading. And he did not make his trip, not even after 6 months from Anna and Zach's arrival.

That day was much like any other. Anna would go out to the city to pick up groceries, sometimes followed by Zach, sometimes with a servant. She would stroll around or pick up a cup of hot coffee. Summer had turned to fall and fall to winter and Odessand was a very cold place now. She had to wear a thick fur coat over her dress and knee high boots. Snow had been falling for the whole last week and the streets were now white and gray. The people were joyous and kind and everything seemed so distant from the troubles in Yranta. Some days, you could forget that such a horrible thing had come to pass so recently.

- Anna wants to go back to Yranta.
- She doesn't want to go back.

"Miss Penrose!" A man in a uniform called as Anna passed through the street. Today she was alone. She turned toward him, spotting the building he appeared out of, a post office. Her family was well known in Odessand, even more than in Yranta and people soon took to greeting her on the streets. "A letter arrived for you just this morning." The man announced.
"For my family, you mean?" Anna asked.
"No, for you specifically." He nodded eagerly and then handed her a small grey envelope. Anna waited for a couple of minutes as she thanked the man and walked on her way, and then stopped in her tracks to anxiously rip the letter open. The familiar clumsy way of writing brought tears to her eyes.

Anna,

I found out your location finally! Don't ask me how, it was a feat! Guess where I am? Oh, you would never guess, not in a million years, so I'll just tell you: I'm in Taliel. Yes, I know. Who would think that I would some day visit the dark elves? Well, it wasn't exactly my choice.

You see, when you disappeared while we were running from Yranta, those soldiers got really nervous. They talked about surrendering or even going to the other side. They argued with the elves and accused them of Yranta's downfall, called them traitors. I know, ironic. Nerith and the others got really mad. There was a fight, but not too bloody, thankfully. The two sides got separated and I went with Nerith and his company. Smart choice, wouldn't you say? I don't know what happened with them soldiers, but Nerith and I are safe. I've been living with the dark elves for more than half a year now, searching for a means to contact you. And finally I managed it!

What in the hell are you doing getting married to that barbarian!?

Nerith and I are coming very soon, you have a lot of explaining to do.

Your friend,
Nate

- Prepare for their arrival.
- Write a response.
- Go to them instead.

Last edited:
Thankfully Zach seemed to understand her feelings, or at least respect them, but as usual Anna still had no idea what was going on in his head. Zach wasn't the type to talk about anything so personal very readily, so she doubted she would get any answers just from asking for them. But he was a friend, and he'd been through some terrible trauma... the only thing to do was try to follow him, at least once.

Anna's life since arriving in Odessand had become very peaceful. Too peaceful -- she still felt some nagging feeling, as though she still couldn't leave everything that happened in Yranta behind her. Sometimes she scolded herself for chasing ghosts -- if she went back, no one would be waiting for her in whatever shell of the city remained. Still, the feeling persisted, and despite herself she eagerly awaited any opportunity to go back. Until then, she had to hold onto what little excitement she could find in this cold city.

And a letter from Nate was incredibly exciting! She wiped her eyes quickly, so there wasn't any chance of her tears falling on the page. It was such a relief to hear that they were all safe, but how had he found out about her fake engagement? Her family was well known and she was somewhat used to being the topic of gossip, but to think that news of her fake engagement had gone as far as Taliel... it made her stomach lurch a little. The longer this story went on, the more difficult it would be to get out of it. That aside, the important thing now was to see Nate and Nerith again as soon as possible! She wanted to go meet them herself, but if this letter had just arrived they must already be on their way. For now, she should at least work on giving them a proper welcome.

Cold wind blew into her face and it reminded Anna of a night not so long after their arrival. The night that changed everything, at least in terms of her relationship with Zach.

It had been one of those days when he grew distant and avoided even Mrs Penrose to whom he usually led long and lewd talks, with Anna as a subject mostly. That day though, she only saw him during dinner and when they walked to their room together. Of course, she knew that he would slip away as soon as she closed her eyes. She would not allow him to get away so easily this time. Pretending to fall asleep she waited for the window to open and the man to disappear through it. And then she sprang up from the bed and rushed to the window, peaking outside. Not being able to see anything in the middle of the night, but still determinate to follow him, she put one leg over the window sill, thinking of a way to climb down.

"You are an idiot." A voice startled her and she fell forward and would have hit the ground face first, if it wasn't for a hand wrapping around her from above and pulling her up without any difficulty. Her heart beat fast when he placed her on the slanted roof next to him. "Now hold on tightly so you don't slide down. I will not catch you again." He said with a small smile.
"You startled me." Anna said, taking a deep breath. "I did not expect you so close."
"Someone needs to watch over you." He answered, quite unexpetantly. "Besides, the view from here is great. Look." He pointed toward the mountain ridges in the distance. "Some nights I like to imagine Yranta burning all the way there. I swear, I can smell the smoke." His smile was vicious now. "I hope they all died."
"Zach, Yranta was my home town." Anna tried. her voice weak. She understood him hatred, but hatred on that level was a bit too much for her to handle.
"I know." Zach shrugged, head inclining toward her slightly. "You are the only good thing that ever came out of that damned city." Slowly he put his hand over hers and then lifted it up to his lips for a kiss. Quite a gentlemanly gesture and quite odd of him. "Which is why I'm protecting you." He announced with all seriousness. "Even if I disappear some nights, you can rest assured knowing that I'm up here. No trying to jump down the window again, okay?" He spoke like a father might to his child, but soon chuckled in his usual manner.

From this night, right up to the very moment when Anna stood on the cold street of Odessand, Zach's demeanor changed. Improved, might be a correct way to describe it. He still had that sleazy gentlemanly behaviour when speaking to her parents, telling blatant lies with a serious look. But, toward Anna he started to act more humanly. He held the doors for her, he pulled out her chair and offered her his hand to escort her out of the room. First, only in front of the parents, but later even when they were alone. He talked more to her, about things he never mentioned before, about his life with Chloe and all the hardships they got through. He talked about his beginnings as a thief, and numerous time he god beaten bloody as a child, and about his first crush and eventually about his other love conquests.

- These stories stirred jealousy inside Anna.
- Anna was glad he shared this with her as a friend.

Soon after their arrival Zach found a job. Openly he said that he worked as a guard in one of the storage halls the merchants used, but Anna notices his smirk when he told it and was sure that he had something not far from his thieving ways in mind. Some things never changed. He still teased her and told embarrassing and untrue stories in front of her mother who laughed heartily at this, and he still tried to peak each time she went to change her robes, but even Anna got used to it now and started laughing along with him.

--

Snapping out of her reminiscing, Anna picked up her pace and turned back home. Once inside the villa she called for Carson and explained that they will be expecting guests soon. When exactly, she did not know.

"And who is coming, my dear?" Mrs Penrose asked when she heard the news.
"Nate and Nerith." Anna answered. "You know Nate already and Nerith is a friend who helped me... us get out of Yranta."
"Oh, indeed." Her mother nodded. "Then we must get a room ready for them. "It's wonderful having new people on the house!" She clapped her hands excitedly.

- Wait for their arrival.
- Tell Zach about it.

Obviously Zach would have a long and storied history with women. Anna would have been surprised if he didn't have some colorful tales, but even though she expected it she was surprised by how much it bothered her to hear them. She knew it was silly of her to feel any jealousy, considering how much of her time was dedicated to rejecting him. Maybe she had been taking his advances for granted, in a way, or maybe it was because of how he had been treating her lately. Regardless of why they might exist, Anna felt at odds with her own emotions and did her best to ignore any tightness in her chest.

--

With her mother adequately warned about Nate and Nerith's visit, Anna realized that she should probably tell Zach as well. He was at least partially involved in this reunion (judging by Nate's tone in the letter, she hoped there wouldn't be a fight), but more than that Anna was practically overflowing with excitement. She'd be too restless to wait around without talking to someone about it!

"Why the hell do I need to know that?" Zach asked, quite frustrated when she approached him with the news of the arrival. "I don't know these men and I have no desire to get to know them." His hands were crossed on his chest, eyebrows furrowed while he looked at Anna with a glare.
"They were both with me through the war in Yranta and if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't know about the low wall and probably would never have gotten out!" Anna answered, matching his frustration. "Besides, they are both my friends and I'm excited to see them again."
"Friends, huh." Zach snorted. Then he leaned toward Anna. "Then, by all means have fun greeting them. But leave me out of it. I am not a people person, as you might have guessed."

His sudden irritation was weird, but Anna shrugged it off as one his usual mood changes. In the days to come she saw little of Zach as he supposedly had a lot of work to finish and was unpredictably busy. Anna and her mother prepared the rooms and notified the staff about the guests and even Mr Penrose helped out with preparations. He must have been eager to find another source of the war for Yranta and the two guys could have had some valuable insight to offer.

--

Only a week later a carriage was led inside the gates of the villa's courtyard and Carson and some footmen walked outside to greet the guests. Anna, being very eager to see them again, did not wait for the two to enter the house, but instead ran outside to greet them.

"Anna!" Nate yelled out, jumping out of the carriage and rushing toward Anna, picking her up from the ground and twirling her around so much that it made her dizzy. He finally put her down, giving her a big hug that suffocated her. "I missed you so much!" He exclaimed in her ear still holding her in his arms. His demeanour was completely back to his usual one, before all the awkward moments in Yranta, he was now much the same as he had been all those years ago.
"Nathaniel, leave the lady alone." Nerith's calm and deep voice made Nate instantly release Anna.
"Sorry." He said, grinning sheepishly. "I got over excited. It's been so long."
"I'm glad to see you are well, miss Penrose." Nerith said as he approached them. He bowed respectfully.

- Hug Nerith.
- Greet Nerith.
- Talk to Nate.

Zach might be acting like a child for whatever reason, but Anna was determined not to let that get her down. With her mother and even her father helping to prepare for her friends' arrival, it hadn't been difficult to stay optimistic.

Nate's greeting was a little much, as usual, but the familiarity trumped any discomfort she felt from his over eager embrace. (Or at least most of it -- her ear was ringing a little, but it was a small price to pay.) At Nerith's chiding she simply laughed.

"I'm glad to see you're both safe! I was so worried!" Caught up in her delight, she pulled Nerith into a quick hug herself. He might ordinarily be too polite for such a show of affection, but in the moment Anna didn't really care. Once she pulled away from the hug she smiled brightly at them both, clasping her hands together. "Was your trip alright? Gods, we have so much to talk about!"

Nerith was stunned by Anna's display of affection. He was always so proper and reserved. Still he allowed himself a small pat on the back when she hugged him and then smiled kindly when she stepped away.

"Our trip was safe." The elf answered.
"And boring!" Nate butted in. "This guy never talks about anything fun." He gestured mischievously to Nerith.
"I'm afraid we have very different personalities." The elf sighed.

Some moments later they were inside, greeted by Anna's parents who recognised Nate and of course Mrs Penrose showered him with affection as a mother would. But, when their eyes fell on Nerith, the pair was unsure of what to do. Mrs Penrose quickly brushed off the moment of awkwardness and introduced herself, after which she led the two in the salon to treat them to tea and cake. Mr Penrose, however, when they were out of sight, turned to Anna.

"A dark elf, Anna?" He asked, suspicion in his eyes. "Do you not know how dangerous they are? Have you not heard the stories?"
"Those are just superstitions, father." Anna tried.
"I'm not talking about tales of demons and magic, I'm referring to the ways of their species. They are barbaric and fickle cretures, they have no loyalties and will not shy away from robberies and murders."
An ironic thing to say, considering they had Zach under their roof and Yranta burning as a result of a human invasion.

- Defend Nerith.
- Don't defend him.

Considering Nate's familiarity with her family, Anna hadn't even considered what her parents would think of Nerith. They were generally modern people, so she had hoped that of his race wouldn't be an issue at all. Apparently she had been too optimistic.

Anna frowned up at her father, frustrated that Nerith had to deal with these prejudices even now. Especially after everything he'd done for her! He didn't deserve to be treated with such suspicion only because of some baseless stories. It would be easier to keep quiet and brush off her father's remarks, but she couldn't help herself.

"I don't know where these stories come from, but I know Nerith and he has never given me any reason to doubt him." she insisted firmly, crossing her arms. "He has only shown me kindness and respect. Really, I might not be here at all if it wasn't for him!"

"What do you mean, Anna?" Mr Penrose looked at her suspiciously. "You never mentioned this man until recently. How could he have helped you? Wasn't your fiance your protector?" His grey eyes were cold and piercing. It seemed to Anna that she spoke too abruptly, without thinking. Her father was not but seconds away from getting the information out of her. After all she always caved in under that cold gaze.
"Of course I protected her!" Zach's voice. He was descending the stairs, seemingly in the right moment to save her. "But, you do remember our story, right, Mr Penrose?" He chirped in that model-child tone, he was so close to even batting his eyelashes at Anna's father. "We got separated for a while. This is my biggest regret, but it was inevitable. During this time Anna's friends helped her in Yranta and reunited her with me even. We owe them a lot." He nodded, very serious.
"I understand." Anna's father agreed, apparently dropping the subject, gaze turning to Anna. "Fine then, to every rule there might be exemptions. I hope your friend proves worthy of your trust. Let us join them." As soon as he turned his back on them, strutting toward the salon, Zach looked at Anna, mouthing "you idiot" and giving her a slight shove before he took her hand, kissing it as a part of his daily charade.
"Unfortunately, I must leave you." He said to Mr Penrose, faking regret. "My employer has a need of me immediately. But I will meet you all for dinner."

And before dinner Anna had to get Nate and Nerith alone and explain the current situation to them, or risk them blowing their cover.

- Try to get Nate alone and explain the lie.
- Try to get Nerith alone and explain it.
- Wait for Zach to sort it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back