[Souls of Paranoia]Turtle Bay - Footprints in the Sand (Week 7)

TheFallOfitAll

A Ghost of RpN's Past
Soft, and almost a little rough. The sand between her toes made her think back to when she was little, playing on the beach with her little bucket and shovel, trying to bury her father to his neck in the sand. The thought of her youth made her smile, but also brought a slight tear to her eyes. She missed her parents, she had ensured that they were buried around the place they usually went on their little beach, their own peace of Heaven. Alex herself even made the marker, old fashioned, the way her parents had liked things. Now, standing near them, the two crosses made from sticks, with a piece of wood saying their names, and her mementos she had made to them, she smiled. Leaning down, she placed a flower upon each grave.

"I love you..." She said, letting her tears spill out. Alex had made it a tradition to visit their graves each and every year, at exactly the day that she had laid them to rest. Now, standing, she wiped the tears away from her eyes, and looked over to the pile of wood she had set up. Smiling to herself as she walked over, she pulled out a box of matches. Part of her tradition was also to build a fire, almost like a funeral pyre. Behind her, were footprints in the sand, waiting for time to whisk them away, just as it would each and everything on the planet.

Once she had reached the wood, she took a match from the box, and dragged it across the box, the flame catching soon. Alex lifted it to her eye level, watching the flame burn, considering letting it go, and just feeling the heat as it would welcome her into the afterlife, but she did not. Instead, she tossed the match into the pile of wood and sticks, sitting down at her usual spot next to it. Soon, the flames built higher, and the smoke drifted across into the air. The sweet smell of the wood burning filled Alex's olfactory nerves, making her smile.

Alex had always loved fires, since she was very little, the smell of a camp fire burning had been one of the best, and she had missed in until she had managed to do this. Alex was very calm now, her body relaxed, and her mind at ease. Soon enough, she dug a cigar out of her pocket from her Daisy Dukes, not caring that fall was approaching. It was the last few days of summer, so she would enjoy it. Once she had placed the cigar between her teeth, she let it sit there, her tongue taking some of the light vanilla flavor before she lit a match, raising it to the cigar. Soft tendrils of smoke escaped from the newly lit cigar, and a breath filled Alex's lungs, her eyes closed. Next to her, was a new, unopened bottle of whiskey. Her favorite brand. She had set out three glasses. She always had, even though she never expected company on this day, even more so when she was within walking distance of her house.

Alex then took the cigar out of her mouth, gently letting the smoke roll away from her, eyes now open and towards the setting sun. Sure, now was the time of day where it was the coldest, but she didn't care. She had always dressed like this for this day, as it was more of the girl her parents had wanted, though she knew in her heart that they loved her for who she was, and she knew they were there with her, maybe even in the smoke from the fire, watching her with a smile on their faces, wishing that they could hold her one more time. Just to hold their baby girl one more time before they truly had to depart, and never see each other again.

Alex then opened the bottle of whiskey, gently pouring it in the glass next to her, then taking a sip. She let the burn do what it did to her throat, the burn was soothing to her, as she knew soon enough, she'd fade away to the bottom of the bottle, lost in a wonderland of smoky smells and whiskey taste.

@Kagura

Webster's day was dedicated to catching up on some of his hobbies- the things he hadn't done since moving out of his parents house. The choice of surfing came when his roommates threatened to throw out his board this morning. It was crowding up the hallway, so Webster had to grab the board before heading out to a private beach. Maybe if he made his roommates forget it existed for the day, he could keep it.

It was rare for Turtle Bay to have an empty beach, but that weekend it was relatively deserted save for a few fire pits. Webster was lucky to have a few friends in high places, and one of them had let him on to this private sector of the beach. After applying a generous amount of lotion to himself, Webster hit the waves.

The man even seemed to impress Ilaria- with how badly he was doing. It seemed the time he had taken off of surfing had knocked off his balance and he wasn't quite sure where to place his feet anymore. So every time he found a wave suitable, Webster would crash and burn. Very quickly, he would give up and paddle back to shore.

Except the shore was a very different place form where he started. The backs of houses were foreign to him, not to mention a familiar figure was poking a fire on the shore. After getting out from the salt water of the ocean, Webster saw that it was the detective that often spent her time at The Biscuit.

"Alex. With what do I owe the pleasure?" he smiles, sticking his surfboard in the sand to turn and look at the detective.

Her eyes opened slowly, head turning lazily towards the source of the sound. It was Webster, standing next to a surfboard, dripping wet from the ocean behind him. Alex smiled slowly, glancing over him.

"Well, I'd say some strange twist of fate," Alex spoke, then took a sip of her whiskey, staring back at him. She already knew how Revy felt about her own feelings towards Webster, but it was her body, and her life. Revy had died and lost her chance at romance. Sure, she knew that she had to help her get her revenge, but with how stressed she had been lately, her time off was going to be used wisely, even if it's on Webster.

"I'd say you went out into the surf, and the current carried you all the way over to me. Must be something about us two, as we seem to keep finding each other in some way. First, it was just happening to go to the same diner at roughly the same time, now, you're here on my beach. I'd say you're stalking me, sir," Alex said, taking a drag on her cigar, then letting the smoke ease it's way out of her lungs. Then she spoke up again, "If you'd like to come and sit awhile, I wouldn't mind the company."

Alex, be careful with what you're doing. Please, be more careful than I was in life.

Hehe...I know, I just....I need something to get the stress off my mind, and if it's some company from another living being, I'm going to take it.....I'll be careful, and won't let him get to me...

The invitation is one Webster actually thinks about, not because he wouldn't like to but he was a bit wary of the detective. It wasn't anything personal against Alex, it was just law enforcement in general that bothered Webster. The detective seemed to be off duty, if the whisky on the table meant anything, so Webster took the chance to sit down.

"Sure- a bit waterlogged though"
Webster shrugs, running his fingers through his wet hair to try and help it to dry. Picking up the whisky, he pours himself a glass, seeing that there's three cups anyways. After managing to get some of it down, he looks inquisitively at Alex.

"Something's the matter" Ilaria figures out what Webster had been trying to grasp, staring at the woman for so long. The two of them only shared a few conversation in The Biscuit cafe, but she sounded...different today. Something was off, and Ilaria wanted to figure out what it was.

Webster, on the other hand, kept her from trying anything the man wasn't interested in sleeping with a cop, so pretending to care about Alex would prove no reward. Instead of playing into Ilaria's hand, Webster focused on the part of the conversation that were directed at him.

"Stalking is such a dangerous term- I prefer coincidences"
Webster joked, tipping the lip of his glass in her direction before taking another sip. Webster's following tendencies were prolific in his opinion, but the latest interest had evaded him with his best bro. The man had to admit he was a little jealous that Julian got Monroe in the sack before him. What surprised Webster was that Jules didn't hit it and quit it, they were actually living together. Ilaria seemed to laugh in response to his jealously, the alcohol was taking effect judging from her loudness.

Looking at the bottle for a moment, he glances back up at Alex "Case got you drinking so hard?" he wonders. The woman in front of him was definitely a looker, and even he had to admit he tried to hit on her the first time they met. Their relationship was rather strange since he realized she was a detective...

Webster had always been a coward. Hanging out with the very person that could put him in jail was dangerous to him. Although, Alex was certainly the woman worth flirting with danger.

Alex chuckled, looking over at Webster, "Yeah, that Bloodbath Killer leaves a Hell of a lot of blood....But with no match in the system to anything..."

Alex sighed, taking a long drink from her glass, emptying it. Then glanced back at Webster. Webster was, something else. Sure, he had his ways, and his certain manners. She remembered when she first starting going to that diner, that he would flirt with her. Obviously, he wasn't able to pick up on some of her signs that she was into him. So, she decided to play hard to get after that, even though she was fairly certain that his interest in her fell away once he realized that she was a detective. But why should it matter? Just because she's a cop doesn't mean she isn't human. Before she even realized what she was doing, her right hand had found it's way to Webster's hair, not caring that it was wet, and she was already rubbing his head like he was a doggy. If it wasn't obvious to him now, it should be.

"Webster...This isn't the whiskey talking...I swear... I, I liked it when you flirted with me, and I miss it. I miss your attention, and I'm happy you made yourself lost and wound up on my beach," She said softly, looking him straight in the eyes. And before she knew it, she leaned over and kissed him, then leaned back, and odd look on her face, then she spoke up again, "I...I'm sorry..."

Nervously, Alex placed the cigar between her teeth, then looked out towards the ocean, waiting for his reaction.

"I...I dunno', I guess I'm a little nervous and maybe the whiskey got the best of me..." Alex spoke, looking back at Webster.

When Alex's lips covered his own, Webster physically pulled away from the sudden intimacy, confusion covering his face. Before he could really recover, the woman blamed her actions on the whisky although he could never be sure. "Ilaria?" It was rare for Webster to ask her about anything, but the kiss had been really sudden. Although, with what she said...

"You're an idiot" Ilaria is quick to inform him, reminding him why he didn't usually ask her for help. "She just told you. she. likes. you." The teenager girl enunciates the words past her accent, something Webster had gotten used to by now. Still, the crisp English sounds foreign on her tongue, and Webster is still sitting rather stunned next to the detective smoking her cigar.

So the detective liked him.

What that meant for him exactly, he wasn't sure. The fact that he pushed herself on him so suddenly had him flabbergasted and her confession made him want to run for the hills. Ilaria's interception seemed to have him rooted to the spot- he didn't know how to get out of the awkward situation. Wasn't there usually more build-up to romance? Didn't this happen sometime in the 6th week of knowing each other?

Alex being hot didn't really help matters, he was contemplating taking advantage of her feelings. "Never in crazies" the mantra repeated in his head, only garnering an eye roll from Ilaria. Then before he could think of anything to say, Ilaria switched spots with his own. Happy to be saved, he willingly handed over the reins.

"Sorry, I'm gay"

Surprise was probably under exaggerating what Webster felt- it was a flash of emotions that encompassed anger, shock, and dread. "I am not gay" as he took back his body, Webster smoothed his hair back again. Ilaria had certainly put him in a bind, because now the man actually had to provide a reason for turning her down.

"It's just, you're a cop. A sexy one, I'll give you that- but you can put me in handcuffs at your leisure"
Webster downed his drink before pouring another. Getting through this sober wasn't going to happen, "I wouldn't mind seeing you in handcuffs" he winks for emphasis.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not gay, no way. If he is, then he tries to hide it under how much he flirts with pretty much every woman he sees.

Revy's cold tone didn't surprise Alex. Here she was, a bright, young police detective who could likely track and capture the Bloodbath Killer, as well as Revy's killer, instead she was getting drunk by a fire and trying to kiss a man known to be a womanizer. Maybe the whiskey really was getting to her. However, she poured herself another glass, and took another sip, listening to Webster's voice.

See what I mean? He's just a dirty fool that doesn't want love from you. There's only one thing on his mind.

"Shut up Revy," Alex said that out loud. And then she knew that Webster would think she's crazy. Yes, he'd assume that she is crazy and not think that she has a soul and also hopefully not be the Bloodbath Killer.

But what if he was? She'd have no way of knowing, and maybe he had been stalking her, had known she had a soul. But there was no possible way. She never made it obvious, she always hid the necklace. But now, today, dressed as she was, the necklace was easily visible. But he couldn't be, he was only interested in one thing and it wasn't murder and collecting momentos. So, Alex tried to ease her way out of it.

"Sorry...I..I have schizophrenia, forgot my medicine. There's this one voice that never shuts up when I forget my meds, calls itself 'Revy'," Alex said, making air quotes. There, that should do the trick, right?

Definitely crazy.

When Alex admits to having schizophrenia, Webster chokes on his whisky but ends up forcing the liquor down. Clearing his throat for a moment, he slams his empty glass on the table before getting up and ruffling his hair. The swimming trunks are still wet enough to cling to his behind, but other than that Webster is dry. For a moment, he contemplates making a lazy excuse to leave.

However, something she said had bothered Ilaria, which meant Webster was also stuck there. "Revy..." from the girl's voice it is obvious she is thinking, a slight strain there. In her stead, Webster was anxious to leave, almost afraid of what the alcohol in his system would convince him of doing. Maybe drinking that fast was a bad idea, then again he didn't know about her mental disorder back then.

That was weird too. As long as Webster had talked to Alex she'd never talk to voices and the name seemed to spark some recognition in Ilaria. Webster stopped in his tracks and rounded the table to face the detective, boldly scanning her body head to toe.

When he catches sight of the necklace, Ilaria's suspicions seem to confirm in his head- Alex had a memento. Webster leans forward, resting a hand above her shoulder and uses the other hand to scoop up her necklace. "You sure you don't got a boyfriend?" his eyes glint mischievously, "Maybe a soul mate of some kind?" he winks.

Webster has to remind himself Alex is a cop- soul or not, making him withdraw from leaning over the woman. "I have one too" he points to the necklace, but the man doesn't actually have the unicorn to show her.

Out of the few people he knew with souls, Webster was the only one to leave without the stuffed unicorn always on him. Every so often Webster didn't need to be invisible, and carrying the unicorn around got more stares than necessary. So, the man often left it at home, or in his car, in this case; the dialogue with Ilaria was definitely strained, but she was definitely the more clear-headed of the two.

"Left in the car, her name's Ilaria though"
he shrugs, as if the conversation is small-talk.

Alex froze when Webster grabbed ahold of the necklace, looking right into his eyes. He knew, he saw right through her lie. And he had one too. Alex never even noticed his hand on her shoulder, while it was there anyways.

"If I had a boyfriend, I wouldn't have kissed you," Alex said, now fully admitting that it was completely in her own power to have kissed to, "And the necklace was given to me by my ex. He was handsome, but not as gorgeous as you are."

"That's a pretty name, Ilaria, Revy said, having taking control of Alex for the moment. There was an obvious change to her voice, as well. More gritty, and much lower pitched. Then, she spoke using Alex again, "I'm Rebecca, but call me Revy. And before Alex tries to take control again, that was not the whiskey that caused her to kiss you. And I can tell you're afraid to even be with her because she's a cop."

Then Alex took control again, and stood up. She stumbled a little, having to grab onto Webster to balance herself out.. She knew that she did have too much whiskey then, but oddly enough she was still almost perfectly clear-headed. Almost.

"So...How long have you had a soul?" Alex asked, looking Webster in the eyes, her voice back to the normal non-gritty Soprano it usually was. Almost a cute voice. Maybe Webster thought her voice was cute. Maybe he didn't.

A lot of what Alex told Webster was on point with what he was currently thinking. With Rebecca it was even more-so, very aware of why he wasn't kissing Alex. It is a reminder of the kiss he just received, and thinking back on it, he couldn't say he didn't like it. However as Alex took back her own body, she didn't seem surprised that Revy even mentioned it.

"I'm scared to get caught up in law" Webster felt like he needed to make an excuse, to try and make himself look like the good guy. After all, he didn't want to turn the redhead down either- she seemed good for a bang. Although she was very dominant, something Webster didn't usually look for in a woman (no matter what Julian said).

Alex had gotten up, and caught herself on him, prompting him to reach out and feel her curves. It was a subconscious behavior, but that didn't mean he regretted it. "Are you sleeping with her or not?" Ilaria's unnatural silence had prompted him to forget about her. "I was deciding whether or not to leave" the girl is generally disgusted, knowing the minute the woman's clothes came off she'd be out of there.

"Aren't you interested in Revy?" Webster thinks about the soul, but Ilaria had only recognized her by name. The soul had given her a compliment, but Ilaria was stuck behind the guise of Webster until he asked for help. It was rare for her, but she was being good due to her upcoming meeting with Leo.

Realizing he was on his own, he dwells on Alex's question, running his hands down her hips out of habit, "Oh you know- three months?" he guesses. "What about you?" he is now closer to her face, and upon inspection decides she is attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back