wee bit of help

STHajikaHaurchi

ok all i am a vet DnD DM and now i am gonna try my hand at exalted i know a few books i need minus 1 which i will eventually get.  But my idea is to do a cult of the illuminated story.. where it will me a series of adventures based off the cult and have a underlying plot line.  My real question is.  where can i fond detailed rules about wyld land.  one of my adventures has them headding into the deep wyld in a spot where the randomness has dissipated alot to where it is subtle.

The Lunars book covers a lot on the Wyld. The Fair Folk book goes into a lot further detail, and also re-invents it somewhat.

Either book should suffice to give you the gist, if the Wyld isn't going to be the central focus of your game.

-S

Something to be aware of:

Solar Exalts have tremendous capacity to affect anything.  Don't railroad your characters on a plot...  Their characters' power and influence has such scope that the story could move into and out of relevance.

Where they are supposed to fix up a town, they might instead take over the country, etc.

Nothin wrong with a good plot, no doubt, but make sure it's very loose and doesn't necessarially require their immediate interaction.

Just a thought.

if all you need is a bit of information on the wyld i reccomend the Storytellers guide, 1. it doesnt cost as much as the main core books, 2. all information in it is subject to interpretation as and per GM and 3. you get the screen with all the cheatsheets and tables on the inside...that and chejop kejaks eyes staring at players does tend to freak them a little. i myself have just dragged my gaming group into the wyld, just make sure that whatever you do its random. if there is a 4 legged mongoose spewing soulsteel kittens at them, hey its the wyld  :twisted:

Stillborn said:
The Fair Folk book goes into a lot further detail, and also re-invents it somewhat.
Bit of an understatement, don't ya think? :)

I prefered the Lunar book for info on the Wyld, finding the descriptions and, for lack of a better word, rules stated to be an excellent source for all manner of story hooks and nasties.

~FC.

well i got the storytells companion so i guess ill just use that.. but just be random huh.. so like something a wyld as: You encounter a 80' tall field mouse eatting a flock of pink winged elephants and washing it down by picking up a near by lake like a bowl isnt to much right?... hmm i could like this place.

Also i know they can effect alot but i am not really tying to plot this.. maybe one will spring up by chance. but i am not looking to make one.. my hook to sending em to the wyld is: a section of deep wyld went tame.. with in the newly scouted valley there is the ruins of the lost solar manse of arum sol.  within perhaps is a trove of tresures and secrets of the first age.  prehaps there is a clan of wyld babarians. maybe a weakened deth lord hideing out trying to figure out how to reunite with his army in the underworld.  not sure how i want to do it... but it will most definitly be a 2 or 3 session doungeon crawl

I've always felt that the borders to the Wyld fluctuate constanly, much like a creature breathing slwly in and out, like the waves of an ocean.  A good hook, maybe, would be to have the Circle travelling dangerously close to the border of a nearby isolated pocket of the Wyld, when something stirs the beast, sending the tide of its borders to suddenly spread overnight, while the group rests.  Imagine then waking up to see your 80' field mouse, with no idea what the hell has occured, and having to find the exit.  All manner of interesting plots follow, slowly breathing with the creature.

~FC.

hmm never looked at it like that.. the whole breathing metaphore.  i like it.  i thinki am gonna like this game.  i just want to keep it open too.. i am sick of the linier dnd games.  i thank u all for the help here on this topic i am sure i will ask alot more questions in the future.   well thank u all for the help for who ever put there 2 cents in. =) if ya got any ideas for me just post em on this thred ill watch it and comment too =)

Where in Massachusetts are you, ST?

I'm moving to Belmont in about a week, and I'm looking for a gaming group to hook up with.

-S

im in the springfield area chicopee tobe exact.  im not sure where belmont is in comparison to that. but i am always looking for ppl to play we play exalted atm and d20 modern sometimes =)

Belmont is about 8 miles outside of Boston. Unfortunately, that makes Springfield kind of a long haul.

-S

meh 45 min drive really and u would only have to do it on sundays that is when we all play.. and lately we been playing in amherst so... i dont care u wanna haul it well let ya play =) lol jk up to you man im easy going i dont care

if there is a 4 legged mongoose spewing soulsteel kittens at them' date=' hey its the wyld[/quote']
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought mongooses (mongeese?) have 4 legs naturally.

As for the wyld, I found this on the Wiki

A game set in the true Wyld:

ST: You are running through duck smoke. You smell fresh crystals in your toes. Underhead, angry chairs rupture your strangest desires. What do you do?
Player: What?

ST: Roll Charisma plus Throwing.

Player: Uh, three successes.

ST: The milk dragon entwines your hopes in a ocean of screaming snails. Your psyche has separated from your consciousness and run off with your foot.

Player: What?

ST: (throws book at player)

Player: Ow! What the hell is wrong with you?!

ST: I'm just trying to be totally random. Keep you on your toes, you know? Capture the feel of the Wyld.

Player: Let's just go back to playing Solars
thought I'd share it because I like it.

~Mary

StarHawk said:
On a tangental note, I was actually wondering earlier today about why the skill for throwing stuff is called "Thrown" and not "Throwing". Why is it the only Ability that's in the past tense? It's stupid.

-S

so in other words i can do what ever i want in the wyld.  just be random.. so in essence <no pun intended>, the wyld is like the story tellers and the dm dream come true.  a place to really do what ever u want... mmmm <throws all books out the window and dances a jig> i like it! :twisted:

Stillborn said:
StarHawk said:
Why is it the only Ability that's in the past tense? It's stupid.
Because Chucking implied a small mammal?

The scarey thing about the Fair Folk book is - from the brain twisting way I've been trying to read it - that's a fairly normal shaping combat scene. The problem is I'm beginning to like it. It's a long departure on the original way I envisaged Exalted, and I'm not sure I'll ever use it (or if it is actually usable) but it's certainly...umm...stimulating?

*votes to change all FF's Thrown scores to Chucking scores*

If you're looking to run Fair Folk opponents without using the Fair Folk hardback, Scavenger Sons has a Fair Folk appendix with quite a bit of material. More down-to-earth and straightforward, in many ways.

Users who are viewing this thread