• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Under Blue Skies [A Halo 4 fic]

BCBones

"Cortana?" His voice was little more than a rasp, a croak of sound and hazy for it. It felt like he was speaking for the first time in centuries, but it had really only been hours. He only spoke when he was spoken to by a superior officer and even then, his answers were as short as possible. "Cortana, do you read?" Master Chief tried being louder then, but it was clear his voice was too hoarse and dry for it. No other sound came to him. There was no greeting, no warm welcome, no.. She hadn't spoken. She hadn't moved. He couldn't blame her.

He had succeeded, in the end. He hadn't been sure how he managed it, really.. When Cortana saved him, he'd been convinced in the end that it was the last he'd ever see of her. She had touched his chest armor, spoke with such a soft conviction, a weak delight, and then.. that had been it. John watched her go. Watched her let him go.

He'd been wrong. A tiny part remained with him, he learned.. It had been luck and improbability that managed this, but she chose him for his luck and it was for that choice that he worked to save her. He fought tooth and nail to make this work. He insisted, argued and shouted until they listened to him, until Halsey gave in and listened to him. The doctors had done the best they could with Cortana. With Dr. Halsey's DNA and expertise, it worked. They helped her however necessary. He'd simply stood by and watched, supervised. If they went wrong, everyone, including Halsey, he'd have them on the floor dead or alive within mere seconds. But, he'd held back. He'd controlled himself through it all and simply listened, even though Cortana made noises, even though she moved.. And.. Now.. "A.I. Cortana; this is Petty Officer Master Chief. John-117, ma'am. Do you read?" Standing there, fully dressed in his regulation armor and gazing down at her limp form, John felt strangely vulnerable, as if his armor had just been removed one piece at a time.

They'd told him Rampancy couldn't be cured. Told him he'd lose her, that this was a wasted effort and a waste of time, but it couldn't be. He was a stubborn fool, an ass if ever there was one, and he would never give up on her. He had been with her for too long, and..

He'd be so alone if he gave up. He wasn't a man to socialize. He had no idea how to truly have friends. Cortana had been a friend. More than a friend, she had been his better half. She'd been human. He was the machine. She was more human that he had ever been. They were supposed to protect each other. I was supposed to protect you.
And now, hopefully, she truly would be as human as he seemed to be.

- - -

Hello once again! Bones here. Now that I've gotten to join this site, I'll try to satisfy this craving I've had for Master Chief x Cortana, so here we are! The basic idea is that Halo 5 isn't exactly happening. When Cortana saved 117 in the end of Halo 4, somehow, he managed to take her with him. We're not really going to question how.
Dr. Halsey and others merely moved her consciousness and being into a solid, physical form. Cortana is now human, more or less, and no longer is suffering from rampancy.
Anyway! I'm looking forward to continuing this with you and I'm excited to see where this takes us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back