Story Two Nightmares and A Dream

NightyTheMonster

Baron of Frenzy
[Just a warning! This is an Undertale AU story! If you aren't into that, you don't have to read this! ^^]
Chapter 1

Dream had finished evacuating everyone from a collapsing AU and was looking over the large crowd of monsters and humans alike in relief. Error was out of control and reckless, at least in Dream’s eyes. Sure, there were other Sanses he should be more worried about, like his brother, Nightmare. After the apples corrupted him, he’s been murdering sporadically. The thought saddened Dream. Nightmare used to be so shy and smart. Always willing to be kind to the villagers of their old world. Dream remembers the kinds of books his brother used to love. A lot were fantasies and ones with happy endings.

Then, he saw a glint of something black in the corner of his eye. A retreating tentacle slipping behind a grand oak, reminiscent of the Tree of Balance. He made sure everyone was alright before walking toward the tree.

“Nightmare…?”

Nightmare’s slimey head peaked out to look at him. Melancholy and boredom clearly visible in his expression. At this, Dream is on guard. What could Nightmare want? To kill or torment the refugees he’d saved?

“What do you want, Nightmare?”

Nightmare looked away, not giving much effort to look invested in the matter at hand.

“As much as I hate you, I need your help.”

Dream was shocked. Nightmare needed help? With what? And why from Dream of all people? Was he finally turning a new leaf or did he want to fight privately? Despite this, Nightmare was still his brother and even if Nightmare was corrupted, Dream cared deeply for him.

“With what?”, he replied with slight suspicion. Nightmare rolled his eyes and gritted his teeth in annoyance.

“Whatever you’re thinking, it’s wrong. I’m not planning anything. I just don’t want to keep dragging your brother around like a babysitter.”

“My…?” But… Wasn’t he Nightmare?

“Just follow me, idiot.”

Just then, a dark swirling portal opened. Nightmare didn’t give Dream a second glance before walking through it. Fearing that he was missing out on an important explanation to this strange set of events, Dream followed through the cold portal, seemingly made of negative power. A small headache lasted as he emerged from the portal and gazed around to get his bearings. He was standing before Nightmare’s Castle in a universe Nightmare had taken over. Dark rolling clouds blocked the sky and robbed the land of any sunlight. Cold wind blew around the castle and the forest beyond it, bringing with it mist and fog.

Nightmare could be seen ascending the steps to enter the gargantuan manor. Dream jumped slightly and hurried to catch up.

“Ah! Wait for me!” Which was promptly ignored. Nightmare opens the large doors, resulting in a heavy echo around the inside. It became clear that the castle was empty, but then, what did Nightmare need him for? They travel down the twisting dark halls to a hall where a room’s door was open a crack. Cream colored light filtered out, and soon found to be from a hanging chandelier. Inside the room was a grand lounge-like area, filled with posh furniture in velvet and leather. Cushioned chairs, a couch, coffee table with a vase of violet and pale pink flowers displayed. Bookshelves full of hard leather-bound books lined the walls sans a bay window opposite of the room’s entrance.

Dream marveled it until his eyelights landed on the figure sitting in on the couch cross-legged. It was Nightmare! But, before his corruption. How was this possible? The Nightmare that led him here looked at Dream.

“Fix this.”

“What?”

“Well, what else? We got seperated! FIX. IT.” The Nightmare on the couch flinched.

“I- But isn't it better this way? My brother is free from corruption and you get to do as you please?” Although Dream didn’t like the idea of this Nightmare continuing the havoc he had been causing, he felt he had finally gotten his brother back after all this time of being apart. After that fateful day…

“No.” He glances at the other Nightmare.

“But on that note, we better come up with nicknames while there are two of us. I don’t want you annoying me with ‘Oh, I meant the other Nightmare’.”

Dream was understandably overwhelmed. His brother was split in two or was he just separated from his corruption? Was he okay? What would he even call them?

The other Nightmare chimed in.

“But… I don’t want to change my name…”

“Shut it. Ugh… Fine. I’ll just change mine then. Uhmm..” If this Nightmare seemed annoyed before, he just upgraded to frustrated.

“How about Nighty?”

“It’s like you want to die, kid.”

Dream takes a moment to soak this in. Okay. So. His brother wasn’t the aggressive Nightmare he thought he knew. Does that mean everyone has been blaming his brother for no reason? No. He still decided to eat the apples before his corruption. And it made sense. He was the only other person who knew why it happened in the first place, and could have been able to prevent it if he had done more to protect his brother.

“Erm… So…”, He walked over to his true brother, ”Are you okay now? I mean, without the corruption?”

“Dream, I-” He looks at the other Nightmare.

“Can you leave for a moment?”

“Ugh… Whatever. Make it quick or I’ll wring BOTH your necks.”

The corrupted Nightmare walked out of the room and down the hall. He didn’t mean it but Dream was really starting to annoy him. And Nighty will do doubt end up chatting up a storm with his ‘long-lost brother’.

“S-So… Dream? I know it was my fault that I caused so much… suffering. My double told me of what we’ve done. To you. The villagers. To everyone… If I could I would take it all back and-”

“Nighty, calm down. I already forgave you. I knew you couldn’t have done all of that willingly. And the corrupted Nightmare is the one everyone hates. Not you.”

“B-But I ate the apples… I-I disappointed you…”

“.... When you ate the apples, the only thing on my mind was whether you were okay. Whether you could come back to me and be happy again. The villagers were partially to blame and I wish I could have helped you.”

“No, Dream. You had a duty to fulfill. I just had to protect the tree.But you can guess I didn’t do that very well...”

The two sat in silence for a while until Dream broke it with a question.

“... Do you hate him? The other Nightmare?”

Nightmare frowns at Dream and shook his head.

“No. I-I know he doesn’t do good things but… The whole time I was with him, he was always caring for me. Protecting me from the people that thought all I was was easy EXP or a useless god of evil and negative feelings. I have him to thank for that. Don’t get me wrong! I hate that he kills monsters and humans! But I can’t help but wonder… Is he really a bad guy?”

Dream was taken aback by this. His brother’s corruption… protecting him? Why?

“Oh…”

This makes matters much more complicated, it seems.

“Well… We can all talk about it. And since there is a naming issue, I’ll have to call you Nighty. Like old times.”

The two smile at each other, remembering the good times they had before the whole thing happened.

-----

“Yo, you guys done?”

It had been a few hours and Nightmare was beginning to feel antsy about Nighty hanging out with Dream. No doubt Dream would have wanted to get rid of him to ‘save his little brother’. That naive piece of… But no. There they were, chatting and laughing.

“And Ink was laughing so hard when Error realized one of his puppets were missing!”

“Ink stole one of his puppets?! Was he mad?”

Dream laughed before confirming.

“He was SO mad!”

The two burst into another fit of giggles. Nightmare sighed and shook his head. It was fine. Nighty was still here and Dream was still being a dork. Typical.

“Hey.”

Now they noticed him.

“Oh! Hey, Nightmare. We didn’t see you there.”

“I noticed. So? You have any ideas or were you two too busy playing tea party?”

Dream and Nighty look at each other guiltily. Nighty scratched the back of his head.

“Um… Well, you see…”

“Yeah, I figured.”

One of Nightmare’s tentacles reached over and grabbed Nighty. Dream gave a worried cry.

“Ah! W-Wait! What are you doing?”

Nightmare gave him a glare and scoffed.

“It’s obvious that you don’t have any intention of putting us back together so I’m going to have to ask you to leave. NOW.”

Dream was conflicted. This was his brother! He can’t lose him again…!

“N-Nightmare, wait! I do, I swear! Please don’t make me leave…”

Nighty looked at Dream helplessly. He looks at Nightmare.

“... Hey, Nightmare? Can Dream, um, stay for a little longer…”, he asks timidly.

“You’ve been with him long enough.”

“I know but it's… Been a really long time and…”

Nightmare rolled his eyes. How was he supposed to say no? Oh wait. This was how.

“No.”

“But Nightmaaaaaare…” Nighty whines and squirmed in his grasp.

Nightmare growled and gave the two a dark look.

“FINE! But if you leave this castle, I will hunt both of you down and personally make you watch me KILL Dream. Got it?”

Nighty nodded frightenedly.

“Good.” He let Nighty go and walked off. Stupid Nighty… Stupid Dream… Who cares if they’re brothers?! Couldn’t he see that he was only making sure he was safe?! Everyone was out to get him for god’s sake! If anything, he should have killed Dream the first chance he had! It would have saved him the trouble of having to deal with him later… But Nighty would never have let him. Every time he thought of going after Dream specifically, there he was, pushing the thought away. Why was he protecting him?

Well, it didn’t matter anymore. Dream was here and it was obvious that Nighty was determined to keep him here. Nightmare growled to himself. If there was a way to keep Nighty to himself he would have done it by now… But noooooo… Nighty just had to see if his stupid idealistic peace-loving brother could help. Stupid, stupid, stupid…

Meanwhile, Nighty and Dream stared after Nightmare as he walked away, sad and afraid of the things that could happen if Nighty left the castle.

“You don’t think he would…”

“I’m not completely sure…”

They sat down in uneasy silence at the bay window.

“... This is a nice castle.” Dream remarks after taking a second look around.

“Y-Yeah… He wanted to make sure I was comfortable coming here a lot. I don’t think he knows what ‘comfortable’ means but he tried his best so I’m okay with it.”

Dream paused, thinking. Wow… Nightmare really cares for Nighty… He wonders why.

“Hey, Nighty…? Do you know why he cares so much for you?”

Nighty visibly thinks back to the day he was corrupted by the apples. All he felt was intense hunger and sadness. And…

“It was… Because… I was lonely. And scared. Alone and unable to stop myself. Maybe… Because he thought I needed someone to take care of me…”

Was Nightmare really capable of this? Of caring for Nighty as a mother would a child? It certainly explains a few things. If anything, it reminded Dream of Toriel. The human falling and being taken care of by a fierce guardian. He better not say that around Nightmare, though. He wouldn’t like that at all.

Chapter 2

It was soon late, or so Nighty thought. There weren’t any clocks to read the time but by the time a few more hours passed, be grew sleepy. Dream followed suit and gave a small yawn. Nightmare, almost as if he could sense it, came in and picked up the two in his tendrils. Nighty blinked at Nightmare sleepily.

“Where are we going…?”

Nightmare rolls his eyes, completely unaffected by the need to sleep.

“Your rooms.”

Dream rubbed his socket.

“Rooms…?”

He didn’t like the idea of being split from his brother. What if Nightmare did something while he was asleep? He could leave the castle for a few hours and go murdering everyone whyle the guardian of positivity was stuck here, asleep.

“Yeah. Rooms in case you can’t remember what plurals are.”

Nightmare gave no more explanation as the three make their way down another hall. He deposits Dream into the first bedroom, closing and locking the door. Dream and Nighty both panic at the sound of the door locking.

“Wait, why did you lock the door…”

“Making sure your brother doesn’t get any ideas.”

Nightmare glared at the door with a burning hatred. Nighty pats the tendril that was curled around him.

“Come on… This is Dream we’re talking about.”

“Exactly.”

They continued to the next room. Nightmare puts him in the bed and tucks him in, then moving to sit in the chair nearby. Some might call it creepy, some might say its sweet, but whatever they wanted to call it, he was just making sure no one hurt him while he was asleep. Even if it meant watching him sleep. Nighty turned away from Nightmare and tried to sleep.

Meanwhile, Dream was more focused on looking for things to open the door with. He had no problem with Nightmare wanting to be cautious but this was insane! Locking him in here?! He manages to find a hairpin, no doubt left here by whoever owned the castle beforehand. Dream began to pick the lock. As it turns out, it didn’t work. The people in the movies made it seem easy but you really do need skill for this. Throwing aside the pin, he climbed in bed. Nothing to do about it now, he supposes…

Nightmare sighs quietly. Why is he doing this? Shouldn’t he be out spreading negativity? Couldn’t he just lock Nighty’s door? No one can find this AU anyway… No. He can’t leave. Not unless he can get back together with Nighty. He needed Nighty. In was a part of him he couldn’t understand but couldn’t ignore it either. Nightmare thinks back to when he was created. Poor kid being picked on by everyone… The apples only making it worse yet… Better in some way. It felt good to hold Nighty inside him. It was like possessing someone. Nightmare looked toward the walls. Would that make him a ghost? So insignificant that the apples were the only things allowing him to exist? What a cruel fate. Especially for Nighty. But now that they were no longer together, Nightmare would have to work twice as hard. People can take Nighty now. Steal him away and hide him from Nightmare. Granted they could get close enough-

Creaaaak….

Nightmare blinks and realizes he was about to break the armrests of his chair. He let go and saw the slight indent where his hands gripped the wood.

“Tch.” What was he doing? Getting worked up over this is worthless and a waste of time. What he should be doing is killing Dream while both were asleep. Yeah… That’s a great idea…

He got up and left the room as silently as possible and unlocked Dream’s room, careful not to wake him. Dream was asleep in bed, hugging an extra pillow. It was almost too easy. He raised a sharpened tendril and readied to stab right through Dreams head but. His appendage. Wouldn’t. Move. He tried a few more times but unfortunately it was stuck mid air. He heard footsteps behind him.

“I knew you’d try something like this.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be asleep?”

“Not when I have the sneaking suspicion that you’d pull something like this on my brother. Do you really think I’m that dumb?”

Nightmare paused, pretending to think.

“Shut up!” Nighty blushed, embarrassed. Nightmare gave a low chuckle.

“I didn’t say anything~”

“Whatever. Come on. You are not killing Dream. Not without my say so.”

Nightmare sighs. Nighty is such a kid despite being hundreds of years old.

The two go back to their room. Nighty grabbed Nightmare’s hand before he went to sit in his chair again.

“Don’t go. I’m not keeping an eye off you.”

“You’re going to sleep.”

“W-Well…!”

Nightmare groans.

“Scoot over. If it’ll get you to finally sleep, I’ll sleep next to you.” Even though I don’t need to sleep.

This seemed to relax Nighty as he scooched over to the other side of the bed to let Nightmare get in. He slept easier then. Nightmare felt like he was in Hell but whatever. It's not like he had any plans anyway. Some time while Nighty was sleeping, he rolled over and attempted to hug Nightmare. Resulting in Nightmare pushing him away.

“Nope nope nope nope. Let go let go...”

Nighty whimpered, disliking the commotion of being moved. Nightmare decided it wasn’t worth it and gave up, letting Nighty hug him. At least he was comfortable. This would have sucked otherwise.

“God… What am I doing…” Nightmare didn’t know anymore. He’s been reduced from god of destruction and despair to a body pillow. Oh, joy.

“Mmmnn…” Nighty mumbles in his sleep.

“Stupid.” Nightmare stares at the wall behind Nighty, bored. He doesn’t sleep, he doesn’t eat, and if he can’t DO anything then what was he supposed to do?! … … Take care of Nighty. The brat. He did wonder how Nighty could stop him like that. They were separated, weren’t they? They can think their own thoughts… Nightmare can do so much but so limited to the things Nighty wants of him. They had a job, both of them. Dream and Nightmare were destined- no. FATED to fight each other. Everyone knew this. Their names. Their clothes. Their personalities. Everything about the two screamed enemies. Nightmare knew this more than anyone else.

And so… Nightmare spent the rest of the night with Nighty, trapped in his embrace and forced to stay awake. Dream was fast asleep throughout the entire ordeal and didn’t show any signs of knowing what happened. The ‘morning’ eventually came as Nighty woke what felt like hours later. Nightmare stared down at him.

“Finally, you’re awake.”

“Nnnhh….. Were you awake the whole time?”

“I don’t sleep, dumb***. Obviously.”

“How was I supposed to know that?”

Nightmare gave a shrug. Nighty sighed and snuggled closer, burying his face in Nightmare’s jet black jacket.

“I don’t wanna get up yet…”

“I don’t care. You’ve been asleep for too long and I can’t feel my arm.”

Nighty was confused.

“Your arm?”

He looked down and saw that Nightmare’s arms were around him, one under his neck and the other draped limply over him.

“O-Oh...”

The two got up and stretched. Dream was awake long before them and was already walking around the castle. He found a few more bedrooms, bathrooms, a study room, a huge library, a kitchen, and what he thought was a servant’s quarters. The things in each room seem like they were abandoned quite a while ago… No matter. Today was interesting.

“Oh my stars!”

Nighty heard his brother exclaim down the hall and rushed to see him. Nightmare didn’t even care enough to notice.

“What is it?!”

“I still have to protect the multiverse! I can’t spend all my time here!” Although he desperately wanted to spend the rest of his life with his brother, he still had a duty to fulfill.

“O-Oh, right… Sorry, I forgot… Visit?”

“Of course!”

Dream smiled at his brother and have him a big hug.

“I’ll be back before you know it!”

And just like that, Dream was gone. Again. Leaving Nighty with Nightmare and a big, ominous, soul-sucking castle.

Chapter 3

Nightmare was tired of Nighty wandering off so when he finally finds him in the library, he did all he could to occupy him and get him to stay in the library. The lengths he went through was humiliating.

“Nightmare! I found an interesting one!”

“What is it?”

“It’s called ‘Witch’s Cottage’! A poem book.”

Nighty dashed down the stairs and to an empty table where Nightmare sat, a pile of other ‘interesting’ books stood, stacked high.

“Want me to read it or are you fine by yourself?”

“I-I can read it…” Can you imagine how horrifying it would be if Nightmare read the book out loud? Nighty shivers at the thought. Nightmare can make most anything into a horror story. And so, Nighty read his book quietly for an hour before getting bored.

“Is there any food around here?”

“No. But I’ll make some.”

“You can cook?”

“No, I just like banging pots and pans- Of course I can cook! What kind of incompetent troglodyte couldn’t?”

Nighty pouted. It wasn’t his fault he never learned to cook, he was always by the tree… He’s sure Dream would have been able to bake but Nighty was always too busy reading and hiding from villagers to put much thought into cooking. Why did he have to? He could just snack on the food gifts the villagers leave out for Dream, since his brother always got too many and obviously couldn’t eat a pile of cookies and fruits.

Nightmare got up and headed to the door. He turned before leaving.

“Don’t leave the room. I’ll be back.”

Nighty nods, opening a new book.

A few minutes pass and Nighty is bored again. He got up and left the library to find Nightmare despite what he said. He found Nightmare in the kitchen making something that smelt distinctly like chicken and some fruit. Nighty was thoroughly surprised by this and watched. Nightmare hadn’t noticed and continued to cook. By the time it was done, Nighty walked on.

“Hey, Nightmare!”

Nightmare looked at him.

“I TOLD you to STAY in the LIBRARY.”

“I got bored! I wanted to see what you were doing!”

Nightmare growled and huffed before handing him a plate of food he had made. Whatever. Saves him the trouble of walking back at least.

“Mmm! You’re pretty good for a black mass of goop.”

Nightmare made an unimpressed look.

“I almost want to kill you right now.”

Nighty paused mid-chew, sweating.

The rest of their day went boringly. Nighty read more books and Nightmare made sure he stayed out of trouble (a harder task than what you’d think). Both had gotten used to the presence of the other and soon they began doing things together. Sometimes they would simply go on walks around the castle as it was relaxing and it was as close as walking outside as Nightmare would allow. Others, they would hang out in the kitchen, chatting about food and debating on which foods were better.

“But blueberry pie tastes better!”

“Who cares? I like black licorice.”

Nightmare made a disgusted face. Of COURSE he would… Gross… Nightmare grins at the face Nighty made and continued washing the dishes they made earlier. This made Nighty curious.

“Can you wash the black stuff off you?”

“What kind of stupid question is that?”

“Just wondering!”

“No. I can’t. Happy?”

Nighty didn’t know what to make of this. If Nightmare could get the black goop off, would he look like Nighty? Were they the same person or different versions? Confusing. Well, he had a friend now, so all was fine with him. Nightmare CAN be a little mean but he means well.

“When do you think Dream will come back?”

“Why does it matter?”

“Well, he’s my brother. Of course it matters.”

“Don’t know. Don’t care- And frankly, I hope never.”

Nighty is confused by this. Nightmare is technically Dream’s brother, too, right?

“Why don’t you want him around?”

Nightmare grits his teeth.

“What is it with you and needing your brother?!”

Silence filled the room. Nighty was too scared of Nightmare and Nightmare was too angry to say anything more. The latter leaves the room angrily, leaving Nighty alone, tearing up. Why did Nightmare… He thought Nightmare was okay as long as he was okay? Was Nightmare… Jealous? No. Nightmare can be a lot of things be he’s never been jealous. W-What if he never let’s Nighty leave? Ever? What if Nightmare will never let him go? Nighty’s fears increased as time went on. Nightmare, who had retreated to their room, had managed to calm down. Now his own paranoia increased as Nighty’s fear had. What if Nighty tries to escape? Run away? What if Dream comes back and they leave him here?

The two feel their situations spiral out of control as time went on and by the time Nighty decided to go see Nightmare, Nightmare had a new resolve. Tendrils wrapped violently quickly around Nighty and pulled him close to Nightmare, where he trapped him in his grip.He had a desperate look in his eyes.

“Nighty. You’re not leaving me, are you?”

Nighty groans quietly.

“N-Nightmare…! I-It hurts- ah!”

Nightmare squeezed tighter, not willing to loosen.

“You’re not leaving. You’re NEVER leaving. Never.”

His gaze went dark with a feeling of desperation and paranoia. Nighty cries out in pain, his ribs feeling like they were about to be crushed. Tears formed in the corners of his sockets. Nightmare wraps his arms tightly around them, gripping them closer.

“I can’t lose you. I won’t LET you.”

“Hnnk- I-I’m not leaving- Nightmare! I can’t breathe…”

Nighty slowly passes out from the pain and lack of air. Nightmare notices this and puts him in bed, leaving and locking the door. Oh, he was determined to keep Nighty. NO ONE was going to take him. Not his brother. Not ANYONE.

He went around the castle, making sure no one was inside aside from the two and waited. Dream would be back. He was the only one who knew where they were and when he comes, he’ll be ready. Dream wasn’t his brother. Dream was his enemy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back