Advice/Help Threads falling flat on their faces...

I think the problem is a lot of people like the idea of the roleplay so they ask to join, but they don’t want to put in the effort of roleplaying. I’ve had roleplay discord servers in the past, and I don’t know if I was doing something wrong but nobody wanted to interact with each other and progress the plot. I had to do a lot of handholding. I’d present an idea for the roleplay, others would either agree or reject my suggestion without adding anything. Kinda sucks, lmao.

Another thing is when the members of the roleplay makes no effort to keep things moving… The thing is, roleplaying is a group effort, meaning everyone has to contribute. There’s nothing I dislike more than roleplaying with someone, they give me absolutely nothing to work with or never contribute any ideas and then they ghost because they get bored of the roleplay.

Hey sleippy. Your ol' friend dovah here.
I've been facing this issue a lot the past few years as well. It defo doesn't have anything to do with genre, and sometimes not even how you pilot the ship.
From my experience, people these days just. Don't contribute to group rps like they used to. They want to be dragged along for a ride rather than create an adventure, and it's really frustrated me too. I know I'm not the best example of posting frequently, and I have certainly ghosted plenty. But. I feel like I can't even do group rps anymore with what I call "randos" -- people you don't already know. You and me? Not randos. Me and say, frownist? We'd be randos to each other. Which isn't bad! Randos can make any rp fresh and new again.
But it is a double edged sword, bc the wrong rando can burn down the whole ship.
Now there's a few exceptions I've made to not doing rando group rps anymore, usually when I get really desperate for writing a character idea, but I find that I'm best off sticking with a group of familiar people that I mesh with and can bounce things off each other.
--Dovahbeat
Ps. Thx for being my friend all this time.

It may take a lot of effort and searching, but I find people who actively collaborate and use these three phrases are the best: "Yes, and...", "Yes, but...", and "No, but...". They may not explicitly say those words, but watch the implicit language. I'm not sold when people are just in agreement and roll with whatever you say, or just say "Interested". Interest does not equal investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back