• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

This isn't actually artistic Talent

Soul Stealer

The Active Inactive
I know this is like the Creativity section and this isn't creative at all xD  but I have a hobby of tracing drawings (all rights to the original owners, of course). Just, printing something out, putting it on a glass table, putting a lamp underneath it. Although there's not much talent involved in it, there is difficulty in doing it. When tracing, unless using special paper, details are easily botched. Shading is often mistaken as shapes when tracing, and then have to be redrawn later, and lots of details with similar color can be completely missed (although both of these examples apply mostly to tracing off of a black and white picture, which is what I do).

Anyways, here's an example below. Actually, I haven't done this in... 5... 4 years, so it turned out pretty good considering, but it's nothing like my best ones xD  

Actually, I realize that in the picture, some minute but noticeable mistakes were mostly invisible here. So... yay?

1111161923~2.jpg

The faces killed me from early on until now, since details are easily confused and the accuracy required to trace eyes is astounding, so for a long time I've just skipped the face. You might notice I attempted to here then erased it, but just ignore it lol

I may or may not post these in an album as I make them, if I can figure albums out. Not sure if or how those would work on the new website, let alone even the old one xD  

And oh yeah here's the original

final_fantasy_dimensions_conceptart_tn9d6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Tracing actually isn't too bad. and unlike what other people say, Tracing actually does require some kind of Talent or Skill. without specialized tools that not everybody has the ability to access such as specialized tracing paper and special lamps. tracing is barely a reduced nightmare compared to freehand drawing. i feel the sympathy for tracing. lots of people call it it easy. it truly isn't. Tis a painful process that requires lots of skill to perform correctly.

a lot of people bash Editing too. but i can actually respect editing, including merely recolor edits.  you can't simply paint bucket every image and make it look presentable. a lot of editors generally use the various pencil and line sizes to make their edits look presentable because it isn't like the paint bucket really makes for presentable edits.

a lot of people consider them both to be Art Theft, i consider them to be Derivative Artwork. Derivative Artwork is Artworked derived from the works of a certain artist or style, even if it is only minorly different. my profile picture is a recolor edit made by a friend as a gift for me. and i find it cute, and well, even though it has a strong resemblance to the character that was utilized as a baseline,  i consider it sufficiently different to count as its own unique image. because if you look at it, it is one of many potential designs used for Umbrie, and Roleplayers steal images all the time to use as character faceclaims, so we call it repurposing. is one method of repurposing an image truly that bad?

most people start with the looks of their OC, i start with the Aesthetic Visual. i started with the concept of schoolgirl assassin who kills with a knife and office supplies, and Umbrie kind of evolved from there. she still has a habit of blinding her foes with the application of an office document stapler to the eyes.

Good lord, this Umbrie chick sounds violent. O.o  Not the kind of person I'd let into a kitchen with the fear that she might grab a knife and stab me to death.

Back to the topic, I agree! Especially them not quite being art theft. I don't consider what I do to be theft at all, especially after I give all rights of the person's character that I traced to the creator of the character. I mean, some people probably just do an exact copy and say its theirs, along with recoloring. which is where the idea of them being art theft most likely came from, but not everyone does that.

Nothing wrong with tracing. I openly gave my art teacher my traced work of the Mona Lisa, to which remains on her wall of art to this day. Tracing can help you understand how to draw in different ways and understand the concept of artistic drawing.

Good lord, this Umbrie chick sounds violent. O.o  Not the kind of person I'd let into a kitchen with the fear that she might grab a knife and stab me to death.

Back to the topic, I agree! Especially them not quite being art theft. I don't consider what I do to be theft at all, especially after I give all rights of the person's character that I traced to the creator of the character. I mean, some people probably just do an exact copy and say its theirs, along with recoloring. which is where the idea of them being art theft most likely came from, but not everyone does that.

Umbrie actually isn't that Violent. she is actually the opposite, but she can be Brutally Vicious when forced to actually fight for her own life. she really dislikes the idea of murdering, she just does the assassin job because she has to be the breadwinner for so many younger sisters and is worried for their sakes too. she doesn't stab those she doesn't need to stab, she does stab evil people for money though. if you don't partake in mass drug dealing, child trafficking or sexual offenses, you are probably fine enough to be on friendly terms with her. by Assassinating evil people for money as a government owned bounty hunter, (well, assassin. but close enough). she is supporting her sisters and protecting them at the same time. plus, her childlike appearance and innocent act don't make her come across as violent at all.

Nothing wrong with tracing. I openly gave my art teacher my traced work of the Mona Lisa, to which remains on her wall of art to this day. Tracing can help you understand how to draw in different ways and understand the concept of artistic drawing.

Ah. :O  I had no idea?

Umbrie actually isn't that Violent. she is actually the opposite, but she can be Brutally Vicious when forced to actually fight for her own life. she really dislikes the idea of murdering, she just does the assassin job because she has to be the breadwinner for so many younger sisters and is worried for their sakes too. she doesn't stab those she doesn't need to stab, she does stab evil people for money though. if you don't partake in mass drug dealing, child trafficking or sexual offenses, you are probably fine enough to be on friendly terms with her. by Assassinating evil people for money as a government owned bounty hunter, (well, assassin. but close enough). she is supporting her sisters and protecting them at the same time. plus, her childlike appearance and innocent act don't make her come across as violent at all.

..Bad day?

Wrong thread

Ah. :O  I had no idea?

..Bad day?

Wrong thread

it was a response to you calling her Violent. sorriesies

but yeah, for most of my OCs. i just Re-use an image of a fictional character whose features are close enough. to resemble the character, even if the description isn't exactly the same or the character has a different eyecolor. because i couldn't edit an image to save my life. and because some people can't be asked to read descriptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back