• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom The Shift

Roger Greyson

I can Smell you
Sometimes, everything changes

In life... nothing is ever stable, and the world learned that the hard way, now people are killing just to survive, trying to escape the cannibalistic corpses now haunting the houses, churches, schools, supermarkets, and highways we once used on a daily basis. The virus itself was completely unexpected, and hit everywhere, seemingly at once. Communication was down almost immediately, and those in the U.S.A. that were in daily contact with loved ones across the oceans were locked from contact.

But humanity survived

The people became calloused, hardened by a life where you couldn't trust anyone that hasn't been in your group during the whole ordeal. Every time, without a doubt, that someone didn't learn this lesson, someone either ended up dead, or worse.

But humanity survived

Recording dates was now pointless. Birthdays were cursed, and holidays were forgotten, the dark reality crushed everyone down too much to actually feel any form of happiness.

But. Humanity. Survived.

California

Entry 2688

Base Camp

Today... we ran out of food... again. I sent Mark out to get more about 6 hours ago, and he hasn't returned, he usually does sooner.

Jessica was complaining again about her music, and I told her again that if we found gas for the generator, we would salvage and she could charge her I-pod... we've mostly gotten used to the lack of electricity, but not her.

Little Lacey is a trooper, that little girl never complains... she wants to be just like all of us, but we all work to keep her like a child as long as possible. She's too smart... she knows that she needs to grow up, and she knows that things will always be bad, I wish she had known the world before...

Jordan got worse today... he's started talking to himself, and he can't seem to separate his novels from reality, he keeps talking to James Bond...

Lily was the same as usual... no-nonsense... she thinks we need to get rid of Jordan, she thinks he's wasting resources, but we wouldn't have that irrigation system without him... I just wish those crops would grow faster, everything will settle down when we have a more stable source of food.

We can't last much longer.....

Day 1

Luke was confused. The fact was, despite the truth, that Mark was most likely not going to be back any time soon, and food would continue to dwindle, no one seemed keen to act. It was as if they were waiting for him to give some big speech before they acted. The only thing that could be done was to send out a party to collect supplies, but who would be able to go? Lilly seemed a likely candidate, but knowing her, she wouldn't want to go, and th e onoy one able to go with her would be himself, and he wasn't willing to leave lacey and jessica alone if jordan was hebobly other adult there.

Sending Jordan with Lilly wasn't a good option... not that lilly was even capable of hurting or intentionally leaving Jordan somewhere just to make her chances of survival better... the only other option was himself going alone... or with Jordan...

Watching the others leaving their cabins from after waking up, he jumped from the fence post he had been sitting on, and said ," everyone, gather 'round, there's something we need to discuss..."

Lacey darted out from behind the tree where she was leaning she had been up for hours trying to forage for food she knew that she needed it and fast her small bones showed through her skin making her look like a corpse. She sprinted up to Luke and looked him in the eyes to the rest of them he was an older brother to her he was the after she had never had.

She knew something was wrong, Luke's mouth was pressed into a thin line and his usually vibrant eyes had begun to dull he was usually optimistic but for that moment he looked like he had lost all hope. That's when laney decided to being out her surprise she was going to wait for her birthday,but his desperate look had told her to show them now. Laney poked Luke playfully "Luke, I've found something," she said "I've found a bird," (if you find alive creatures you can find food and water)

Lilly stretched her arms up as she yawned. She was rather happy to be given the chance to see the sun shine, happy to feel its warmth against her skin, happy to be able to still breathe and continue on. More than anything, she was happy to be alive. She gave the familiar place a quick scan, everything was normal, the fences were still up for their protection, no sign of any attempts from the 'walking corpses' to try and get in. She found herself taking a deep breath in relief. "That's good." Lilly turned her head towards the bed house for men. She then wondered whether Jordan was still alive, she couldn't help it. She still believe he's nothing more than dead weight to the group. He was nuts, crazy to the point of ridiculousness that Lilly would prefer him gone than alive with the group. She hoped he had Sleep Paralysis and never woke up... But she knew that was less likely to happen.

" everyone, gather 'round, there's something we need to discuss.."

Luke's voice quickly snapped Lilly back to reality, wrecking her train of thoughts regarding Jordan. Suddenly she realized how brutal her thoughts were and quickly felt bad. She wasn't a bad person, for her she was just being rational. She made her way towards Luke who was right below the fence post. Her boots rubbing against the warm Texas sand. "What is it now?" She asked him lazily. Before Luke could even answer she heard Lacey speak about finding birds. Lilly found herself smiling at the child's attempt to help. At least she's more useful than Jordan. "Lacey dear." Slowly she bends down and placed a hand on her tiny head. "Good Job! But... We need something more than that. Supplies that could... you know. Aid us." Lilly tried her best to explain the situation to the little girl. She knew Lacey was smart and that she knew what Lilly meant. "But good job" She gave her a pat on the head and looked back at Luke, waiting for his words.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Jessica... it really is great, just think about it... if there are birds, then there's enough water nearby to support life, we just need to find it... Lacey, dear, if you can find where this bird was getting the food it needed to survive, that would be great, did you see where the bird came from?"

In the meantime, Luke planned on cooking the bird and feeding it to the group... they might think it was gross, and unsafe, but after cooking it, they should be able to eat it, they did need the food, anyway.

"Luke..." Lilly took a few steps towards him closing their distance. "You out of everyone here should know we need more than food..." She said more in a whisper, her face slightly closer to his. Lilly was referring to the fact that they were almost out of Ammo, medicine kits, and even something only she and Jessica would need....

"Luke you know what I meant. One of us have to go out there and Mark doesn't seem like he's going back. Ever." Lilly said in a matter of fact manner. She would rather be frank than gets her hopes up. But chances are Mark was either dead... Or dead and still walking out there somewhere.

Luke stepped closer to Lily, and whispered in her ear, "We need to encourage Lacey, she's only a child, and if we don't encourage her, she'll be afraid to suggest anything, I thought you, out of everyone, would know that." Luke was, of course, referencing the fact that Lily had been a psychiatrist beforehand. "Anyway, I was going to talk about how we were going to get supplies when I called you all here... I have a plan, but I need you to trust me..."

Lilly mentally gave herself a slap. How could she have missed that? "Well you better hurry up with that Luke. Its only a matter of time till-" Lilly hesitated, she didn't want to continue what she was about to say. It was far too negative already, and the last thing she wanted was to crush anyone's spirit. "Fine..." Slowly she took a step back and listened briefly to Luke, waiting for his instructions.

"Okay everyone..." Luke said as the others gathered around him, "Fact is... we don't know when Mark is coming back... if he's coming back at all, I've put a lot of thought to this, and I've come to a decision: I will go out, with Jordan, to look for food. I know things like this come to a vote, usually, but for now, that won't work... I've put a lot of thought into it and this seems the only option. As for who's in charge while Jordan and I are gone, I trust Lily to make sure things that gets done, that means that the crops need to be watered, the chickens we found need to be fed, and their eggs, wither harvested, or fertilized by the roosters. Jessica, I need you to keep an eye on Lacey, and Lacey, don't get into trouble... you know the danger." Luke sounded confident, but inside, he wasn't so sure of his plan. He didn't know if he would find food, but for the sake of the others, he needed to sound like he knew what he was doing... however, there was that ever-present voice in his head, saying "Luke... you're not a leader, you're only a writer for heavens sake... even Jordan has more experience in this, he may be losing it now, but he was a police officer! What chance do you think you have?"

Lilly gave it a thought for a while pondering whether it was a good idea for Jordan to go along with Luke. What if he causes more bad than good?! What if he'll cause Luke's own death? She didn't want to be so negative about this but she was just being rational, exploring all the possibilities. But she trusted Luke, she knew he knew what he doing and what he was putting everyone in for... At least she hoped so. In the end she agreed with Luke... She'll stay here on camp and stay on watch to keep Lacey and Jessica safe, she'll watch over the crops and make sure everything is working fine here. "Fine." She said without glancing back at Luke. "I just really hope you know what you're doing Luke."

"I do too..." Luke said under his breath, "Don't worry, Lily, we'll be back with food before you know it!" Luke walked over to Jordan, "Jordan... we need you now... can you please come out of your book for a moment?" Luke didn't want to force the book away from Jordan when he didn't even glance at Luke, he had already seen what that would lead to when Lily tried a week before, it didn't end well, "Jordan... please!"

Jordan didn't want to tear away from the book. To him, the book wasn't written words on printed paper, but his whole life story. It was The Watsons Go to Birmingham, an old kiddish tale but a good one. He took on the role of the small child with the lazy eye, the star of the show. It was imperative that he knew what happened next- what he'd do next-

When Luke suddenly shouted, he slowly glanced up at him and stared at him, as if daring him to continue talking. Unlike everyone else, he didn't see Luke as the leader but just another antagonist in the way of completing the protagonist's- his- quest. He blinked up at him, having not heard one bit of his grand speech earlier.

"I'm not a frigging child," Lacey said walking over to Lilly and staring up at her face determinedly "I've read about survival in the wild, and where there is animals there is food," she ran towards the birds tree and scaled it quickly her limbs working like a baby monkeys. She saw a nest at the top of the tree she climbed higher and higher trying not to focus on how high the tree went. She finally reached the birds and eggs and went to climb down when the tree snapped she was left hanging by her pinkie four metres up in the air.

@Kawashima Thunder @DanDanDan

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual, Jessica was just making a big fuss over her iPod, which died for at least the third time this week. She sighed before setting it down on her bed, yanking out her earphones and then screaming into her Pillow. She really was being immature about the current situation. How would she relieve her stress now? The lack of electricity was really starting to get on her last nerve. To calm herself, she grabbed a pillow and just stayed in bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering what she could possibly do.

Before Luke could say another word to Jordan, he heard a very loud Crrrrrraaaack! he turned his head to see Lacey hanging from a tree by her pinkie, "Lacey!" he yelled before he ran to her, to help her down in the best case, to catch her in the worst case. How did she even get up there, Luke didn't even think that he could climb that tree. Just as Luke reached the tree, Lacey fell... right into Luke's arms, "Lacey! What in the HELL were you doing up there?!?!"

Without anyone looking at him anymore, Jordan buried himself back in his book. He hoped Luke would be a good protagonist in his story, despite not knowing exactly what it was. It wasn't certain whether he ignored the commotion regarding Lacy and falling off the tree, or if he didn't register it. Regardless, it wasn't worth it to dwell on it. Jordan was sick, and that was that.

As Lacey fell through the air her hair waving in the wind only one small thought raced through her head "I was going to die anyway'". She fell into Luke's outstretched arms and lifted herself out if then heading towards the tree's crook where she had left the robins eggs's she held them behind her back and gave them to Luke smiling and jumping feeling giddy like a child.

Luke saw the robin's eggs, and his frown softened, "Don't.. don't scare me like that.. go on and take the eggs to Lily, tell her I said to cook them for dinner, and to give you an extra ration for dinner..." While it was true that Lacey scared the living daylights out of him, he also knew the importance of the simple fact that sometimes, especially now, dangerous or even evil things had to be done, for the betterment of all people

Lacey nodded "I'm sorry for scaring you, " and walked towards the cooking area she knocked on the door "Hi Lilly, Luke said to cook these robins eggs for dinner, Give Luke an extra ration please,". Lacey walked over to a chair and sat down her eyelids started to droop but as soon as her head started lolling she snapped back up and quickly sat up she had only had two hours of sleep the last night but she had to keep on working "Lilly is there anything I can do," She asked jumping up and down at Lilly's feet. @RoleplayChiQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back