• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Passing

17:00

Pale fingers gripped the ends of the rough leather armrests. Metal around the redhead groaned and shook, her bones rattling. Air pockets slammed into the nose of the plane, a high-pitched ding! ringing above her head signifying the passengers to click their seat belts into place.

This wasn't a problem for the sweat coated private, her breaths coming out in ragged trembling puffs. The fear of suddenly crashing into the ground a thousand feet below her caused a flair of anxiety to swell him her stomach, meaning she'd kept her belt secured safely throughout the past 2.5 hours. Her feet bounced up and down, the man sitting next to her growing increasingly impatient with the fidgeting.

Scarlet releases her grip, shoving a few strands of hair from her face, and wiping the perspiration from her forehead.

The front of the plane tipped down, and the poor girl's nails went shooting for the arm rest once more, making an awful scratching sound. Her neck bobbed. She clamped her eyes shut, repeating incantations in her head to calm the rhythm of her heart.

The pilot knows what he's doing. We're not crashing. There goes the landing gear, see we're fine.

Trust.

Trust the pilot.

There was a loud scraping against the bottom of the aircraft. It hopped upon impact, making Jacobs suck in a sharp breath.

They rolled at a high speed, looping around the landing strip a few times before finally halting at the gate.

Finally.

Everyone shuffled slowly to the front, exiting at the speed of smell. There was a clutter of green-adorned men and women returning to Fargo in the hopes of seeing their families upon touchdown.

Legs made of jell-o, Scarlet gathered her belongings from the overhead department.

One Duffel, and a large black backpack.

Slinging one over each shoulder she entered the long line of bodies, restlessly awaiting to see the bright red bearded smile of her old man.

17:23

"Are you sure your mom will be okay with you staying here tonight, Mark?" His aunt, Victoria, asked him softly as she peeked into the room from the door. Mark was, of course, spending time with her infant son - Cole. He was two months old, but full of life. He happily waved his arms around while Mark was busy changing his diaper. You see, Mark was like that - He was helpful, he knew what he was doing and he didn't turn his nose up at things like some kids his age would. He didn't mind doing all of this - he was more than happy to do this, because Cole... Cole was almost like a little brother to him, especially with the amount of time that he'd spent with him since he was born. He was an only child, so having Cole around was something that really meant something to him.

"Well..." Mark looked up from what he was doing and smiled at her. ".. I can call her and tell her, but... Only if you're okay with it." He smiled.

"Of course we're okay with it - You're welcome any time here, you know that." She smiled sweetly back at him. "Plus, it's nice to have my own little babysitter around for me, and you're best for the job." She winked at him, but Mark just smiled. Sometimes he was very quiet, other times he wasn't. This was just one of those times where he was a little bit lost for words on what he had to say. His aunt, uncle, and parents all knew that - They knew it wasn't him being rude. It was just him being him, really. They came to appreciate that and quickly add something onto what they said so they didn't leave Mark feeling too awkward. "-- You can get him all wrapped up before you put him down for a nap, yeah? We're having dinner soon, so if we could get some peace and quiet, that'd be great." She smiled.

Just like that.

"Yeah, course I can." He smiled and nodded a few times as he pulled the clean diaper up past Cole's legs and up to his waist, carefully sealing it up. He took the little blue baby's sleepsuit from the side of the table he was changing the diaper on and carefully slipped it over the infant's arms and legs, followed by clipping it up at the back. All good to go. "What's for dinner, anyway?" He asked.

"I'm making chicken noodle soup tonight. It's cold out there, so some Winter food should warm us all up." She smiled. "Seven inches of snow so far - Isn't that mad?" She asked.

"Yeah... And it ain't showing any signs of stopping." He said, looking over his shoulder and out of the window at the outdoor environment that was caked in white. He looked back to the baby, then up at Victoria, but then back down at the infant again. He silently wrapped it up in a couple of little blue blankets and held him in his arms, slowly rocking him from side to side in an attempt to make him drift off to sleep.

Victoria stared at him for a long while, "Are you okay, Mark? You're being awfully more quiet than usual." She said. Mark just shrugged but then nodded.

"Just tired, that's all." He said. "School's not been easy on me, so... Yeah. I'm fine."

"Everything okay with your friends? What about your mom and dad?"

"They're all okay, Aunt Victoria." He nodded and smiled a little, continuing to look down at the little infant in his arms. "I'll be out for dinner as soon as Cole's asleep." He said, quickly bringing the conversation to a close. It was a good thing he was holding off on that, really, because his dear old Uncle Jeff had just been attacked by some nutjob not too far from the house. He was thankfully going to avoid all of that chaos. For now.

17:45

Entering on the west side of the crummy little airport, Scarlet went about her business descending the two-way staircase and taking a sharp right.

Three large black belts slowly rotated trunks, bags, sacks, suitcases, and oversized luggage. She glanced over the selection, a stern and frustrated expression upon her freckled face.

"Where...." she breathed to herself, watching as three uniformed peers picked up their bags from three different conveyor belts. Stumped, she began circling the baggageclaim, her brows slowly furrowing.

The poor girl was about to give up, before a thick black and blue striped suitcase came crashing down the shoot, almost knocking a box labeled 'fragile' onto the floor.

Quickly retrieving her belongings, but not before getting a dirty look from the owner of the cardboard box, she hurriedly scanned the crowd.

Not a red-bearded man to be seen.

Frustration gripped her again, and she angrily fished into her cargo pants' many pockets.

A slick silver old-styled flip phone chimed several times when she turned it on, finally receiving the hundreds of messages and missed calls from her family and friends. She sidestepped the notifications, pressing down the "2" button until a soft ringing could be heard.

"Hellohello?" Her mom twittered on the other side of the phone.

"Mom---" she was cut off.

"I'm not here at the moment, but leave your name and number and I'll be sure to give you a call!" beeeeep

She grunted angrily, trying again.

Only this time, there was no ring.

"I'm not here at the moment, but leave your name and number and I'll be sure to give you a call!" beeeeep

She dialed her father, but his phone had become disconnected weeks prior, and a dull voice droned over the speaker "The number you are trying to reach, is out of service---"

"What the hell..." she breathed, cheeks flushed from the heat inside the building. She shuffled towards the towering windows that made up 70% of the airport's front wall, watching as the flakes of white powder hit the ground.

Seven inches, and it was barely mid November.

The weather now would only make the older North Dakotans shake their heads... most of them use to almost a foot or so of snow before October was out.

Scarlet remembered one year, second grade, she had cried and complained when her mother made her wear the awful marshmallow jacket over her vampire costume.

Headlights illuminated the parking lot.

Jacobs strained her vision, eyes falling on a large red Chevy parked in the second row the door hanging wide open.

It was her father's truck.

18:23

Aunt Victoria peeked her head into the baby's room again, smiling at Mark. "Mark, sweetheart... Dinner's ready. Go wash up or do whatever you need to do, then come join us at the table, will you?" She asked. Mark simply smiled at her and nodded a few times before rising up, peering into Cole's crib yet again. Fast asleep and all snuggled up like the cute little baby that he was. Mark reached down and gently brushed his cheek with his index finger, then quickly looked up at Victoria.

"I'm coming." He said, nodding. She smiled and walked out of the room to join her husband in the kitchen. It was only a small house, really, with two bedrooms upstairs, one bathroom upstairs, and one half-bathroom downstairs. He decided that he'd follow after Victoria and use the bathroom downstairs, just because he didn't want the flush of the toilet to wake the baby up. He made sure the baby's door was closed right over so that... Well, he didn't know, but he had a problem with doors not being fully shut. He remember when he was younger, his bedroom door would always creak open if it wasn't fully closed - One time it happened late at night when he was sick and watching a movie.

When the door creaked open and unleashed an eerie shadow into the room, Mark screamed his head off in tears until his mother came running to him. Since then, he never ever ever left a door even the slightest bit open, because that horrifying time when he was just five years old left that left him shaking had really stuck with him all his life. He didn't like open doors, and definitely didn't like partially open doors. It unnerved him.

He made his way down to the bathroom and quickly did what he needed to do. He only needed to pee, so he was done with going and washing his hands pretty quickly, then went out there to sit with them for dinner. He got a pat on the back from his uncle, whom of which looked quite sick and had a bandage on his arm. He was pale and his skin was even starting to go a little bit grey, which was... Horrible, really. He looked at him as he sat down to eat his chicken soup and freshly cut bread that was put in his spot for a table.

They were really like his second family.

-

Halfway through the meal, Uncle Jeff looked up at them both and sighed. "I'm sorry, but I need to go and have a lie down upstairs for a while. I don't feel so great." He said, slowly rising to his feet and limping out of the room to make his way upstairs. Mark exchanged a worried look with Victoria and then sighed to himself, followed by going back to his food.

".. Is he okay?" He asked.

"I don't know. He's probably just going down with a cold - The weather's vicious out there, and he's been out in it most days." She said. "We'll check on him later on and see how he's doing, okay?" She smiled and reached over, gently squeezing his hand. Mark gave a nervous smile back but nodded and continued to eat the wonderful food his aunt had prepared for him.

He was never going to see his uncle as his normal self again, he just didn't know that.

18:30

The minutes passed, and her nails were bit down to the nub. She had been surveying the parking lot for almost an hour now, pacing back and forth while the opened driver side door stared at her right in the face. Most of the passengers from her flight were long gone, and the security guards had been eyeing her suspiciously for the last twenty minutes.

He cleared his throat to make himself known, making her attention snap to his burly weather-worn face. Red seeped into the color of her skin, crawling across her ears and past her cheeks. The heat from the airport was beginning to sting at her feet, and frustration took the better of her.

The snow spiraled down thick, sending a blanket over her red hair. She could feel the weight from her baggage making her muscles ache. Her shoulders sagged, the suitcase scraping against the concrete and leaving a trail of asphalt behind. Her teeth set, she made her way towards the Chevy...

And stopped.

Dead.

A trail of scarlet lead from the driver's side, around to the back and continued down the row of cars. Her soft hazel eyes grew wide, bags slipping from her arms and colliding with the pile of frozen water under her. Her body began to shake, fingers curling into fists as she slowly moved forward. Carefully she rounded the side of the truck, keeping her eyes on the tinted windows.

Inside, a large auburn stain jumped out at her bearing the image of a blood-soaked interior into her head.

She opened her mouth, but all that came out were harsh shuddered breaths. Puffs of condensation escapes her lips. She lost her footing, back slamming into the car next to her. Her vision blurred, and something shot out from under the vehicle.

It enclosed around her ankle, tugging sharply.

She fell, her palms slamming into the frozen ground. Her chin scraped against the hard surface making her bite down on her tongue. Copper spilled into her mouth and she shot a glance over her shoulder. Yellow-tinged eyes glanced at her from the shadows of the neighboring car, a low and sharp gurgling following suit.

Everything happened within seconds.

She rammed her boot into the side of the things head, a scream rumbling from the thing. The hand never loosened. She kicked again and again, struggling to get away from whatever had a hold of her.

Finally the creature couldn't take her rough attempts to escape, letting go of her only long enough for her to scurry away. Just barely.

It leaped from under the silver volvo, hitting its head as it went. It didn't seem bothered by this, though, and the familiar crystal blue hues stared up at her with a hunger that made her insides twist. She stifled a yelp, moving out of the way swiftly, only to watch her mother dive face first into the spot she had been seconds previously. Her teeth crunched under the presser, her jaw cracking. The sound made a sickness well under Jacob's tongue, but she swallowed hard and took the small window of time to rise to her feet.

"M-mom?" Her voice was weak, cracking. Her mother only replied by turning her head up, a clutter of enamel falling from her gums, along with strings of saliva and blood.

18:43

"I think I'll go take a shower, if you don't mind, Aunt Victoria." He said, she simply looked up at him and smiled whilst nodding.

"Go ahead, sweetheart." She said. "Was the food okay? I mean, I know your mom knows how you like your food and all that, so I'm a little inexperienced, I suppose." She laughed a little and stood up from her seat, picking up the three bowls - one of which was untouched - and carrying them over to the sink. Mark just looked at her and smiled - He was polite, always, and even if he didn't like the food he'd have eaten it and told her it was perfect. He could never belittle someone's work or make them feel bad about something, especially when they put the effort in to try and make another person happy. Mark was just a selfless person like that.

"It was great, Aunt Victoria, don't worry." He said, slowly rising from his seat. "Thank you for dinner... Really, it was nice." He smiled and nodded a few times, only to have her come over to him and gently put her arms around his tiny figure, followed by kissing his forehead.

"You really are sweet. If Cole grows up to be like you, I think I'll be one happy mommy, don't you think?" She said with a little laugh, kissing his head again.

"I'm not that great." Mark shrugged, but kept in the hug nonetheless. She patted his back and slowly pulled away, but rested her hands on his shoulders.

"Don't be stupid, of course you are." She grinned. "Go have your shower. I'll fix you some hot cocoa and marshmallows for when you get out." She said, and with that, Mark was sold. His aunt made the best hot chocolate - she'd put spray cream, marshmallows, and cinnamon on it, chocolate powder, fudge - She could make one mean drink like that, and given how cold it was this time of year, it was really appreciated. He made his way upstairs to go take a shower, but one thing came to his mind when he got to the top of the stairs:

Why was Uncle Jeff lightly bashing himself against the door of Cole's room?

"Uncle Jeff?" He called out, nervously, as he looked at the frail man. He hadn't woken Cole up just yet, but Mark was really concerned - this wasn't like him at all, not one bit, so it was all a lot to take in. He watched as his beloved Uncle slowly turned to face him, and when he did, Mark gasped and went pale - His uncle hissed, but that wasn't the scary thing. He had blood dripping from his mouth, clearly the result of something like a collapsed lung or hemorrhage of some kind. He had a bit of blood coming from his eyes, too. Uncle Jeff was a joker, though... Maybe this was a trick? Mark slowly backed up so that his feet were on the edge of the top stair and then looked over his uncle again.

".. Uncle Jeff, that's not funny..." He whimpered softly. "Please, stop... You know I get nightmares real bad. Don't." He said, closing his eyes for a moment. He started to back down the stairs when his Uncle began to slowly shamble towards him, his arms hung limply at his sides. He gulped, because this really was a joke that was going way too far. The bandage that had covered the injury on his arm was soaked with blood now, but the blood was much darker than what it should have been. "Uncle Jeff. Stop!" He begged, some tears finally welling up in his eyes and quickly breaking down his cheeks. Once he reached the bottom, he realized that his Uncle was no longer following him - He didn't get to reach the bottom, though, because he tripped on the second stair and went plummeting backwards - He landed on his back, smacked his head, and let out a breathless cry as all the air was knocked out of him.

"Mark, sweetie?! Are you okay?!" Victoria called out from the kitchen before coming running through only a second after. She looked at him and ran to his side. "Mark!" She said, taking hold of his hand. "What happened? Oh, god... Do you need me to call your mother? Are you having one of those little episodes again?" She asked. There was a dark past with Mark, but he only had panic attacks. It didn't happen too frequently. Mark pointed to the top of the stairs...

Right as his Uncle came tumbling down them, face first onto the floor at the bottom. Mark broke from his aunt's grip and shuffled right back, his body bumping into the small table in the hallway that held the phone book and the telephone.

"Jeff?!" Victoria cried, instantly crawling to his side. He wasn't moving. "Mark, call an ambulance!" She yelled, tears also rolling down her cheeks. This was disastrous, but she had to put up with it for now. Mark shakily took hold of the phone and dialed 9-1-1, and just waited, and waited, and waited.

".. We need an ambulance..." He choked into the phone, sobbing and sniveling. Before he could say anything else, Victoria was screaming. Jeff had sat up and sunk his teeth into her neck.

Mark dropped the phone.

18:45

A low stomach churning snarl fell from Mrs. Jacob's lips. The decrepit figure was drenched in sweat and water, something dark smudged in her matted hair. Coagulated blood had bunched in the corners of her shredded mouth, a tooth lodged in her upper lip. She crawled forward, her back legs twisted and mangled in a disturbing manner that made her look like an overgrown spider. Her knees appeared to have been shattered, bending at a 90° angle in the wrong direction.

Scarlet stepped back slowly, the street lights hitting her eyes in such a way that made them look a piercing green. A lump formed in her throat, small whimpers falling from every breath. "Mama... we can fix you up. Please--" It leaped forward, the sound of its flesh ripping and squelching making the sickness rise again.

Jacobs jumped to the side, only to trip over her own luggage. The sound of the back of her head slamming against the concrete radiates in her skull, feeling as if her brains had just been mashed inside her.

The sudden movement stumped her mother, but only for a brief moment.

Her neck snapped, yellow tinged hues glaring. Hungry.

Another lunge.

The red-haired girl grippes her duffel, swinging it over her chest to create a barrier. The rotten body flung itself over the bag, snapping and growling as if she had never once put food to her blood-coated taste buds. Tears were streaming down the Private's face, mixing into her auburn hair and freezing as the bitter temperatures dropped.

Her breath reeked of vomit and copper.

Hands went flying to her cheeks, trying to dig her nails into the skin and rip the tendons. Scarlet struggled, pushing her palms against her luggage to try and further the distance between....

BAM!

Meat rained from her mother's shoulders, the arteries severed. Dark liquid spit from where her head use to be, coating the ground around the soldier.

She heaved, throwing the body from her frame and standing quickly only to see...

The Security Guard.

His hands both clutching the butt of his pistol, arms shivering. They stared at each other for a long moment, the only sound around them coming from a near by plane just taking off and their own raspy breathing. They were speechless.

18:46

He was staring into the vomit-filled toilet bowl and his whole body was shaking profusely. He sobbed and coughed a couple of times, still hearing the ripping of flesh from the bottom of the stairs that was making him feel so sick. He'd brought up the food that was supposed to keep him warm and strong throughout the night, and he was panicking. He was panicking a lot and he was just glad that the baby hadn't woken up yet. He was about to rise up from his knees but instantly dropped down onto them again, his hands on the toilet seat as he stuck his head just into the toilet and vomited once again. A nice mixture of chicken soup and everything he'd had to drink before that. He was sure that there was nothing left in his system, so then he flushed the toilet and stood up, gradually shifting himself over to the sink.

His hands were shaking so much that he could hardly find the ability to turn the faucet on, but managed eventually. He splashed some cold water onto his face, then looked in the mirror. He was pale, upset, scared, shaking - He felt like he could vomit and pass out at any given moment, but the sick feeling he got that came to his throat was quickly swallowed back down. Now it was a matter of priorities - He knew a way he could get out of the back window, one way, so he quickly left the bathroom, but looked away from the bottom of the stairs. Uncle Jeff was still happily munching away on the flesh of Aunt Victoria, and that was something that he didn't need to see right now. He made his way into Cole's room and decided one thing:

It was time to man up.

He ran over to the bag that would usually hold all of the things for Cole's day-trips with his parents and stuff, and loaded that with everything he could find. There was no baby food lying around just yet, simply because... Well... He wasn't old enough for that. He crammed as many diapers as they had into the bag, three packs of wet-wipes, the box of baby formula, several baby's bottles... Baby powder, too. He got everything that was going to be needed, then got his coat that he'd left hanging on Cole's crib, followed by quickly slipping it on. He had more to do, though. He got Cole's little coat and slipped that onto him, as well as some warmer baby pants - Socks, shoes, gloves, a cute little hat, and finally, a nice warm blanket that he wrapped him up in. Cole didn't even awake from his slumber which was really quite nice. He picked him up, then carried him to the window...

He held little Cole in one arm and opened the window with the other. Cole's room was right above the patio out back, and above the patio was the roof cover, so he could lower himself down onto that. He carefully climbed out and made sure that he held Cole close to his chest - The first thing he did was toss the bag over in a direction to the left of the house, and its landing was cushioned as it was plopped down into the snow. Ah, not bad, right? Following that, he held Cole close to his chest and cuddled him as he slowly made his way down the angled roof, but...

He slipped.

He hit the roof with a thump and almost went through it, but instead went sliding down the little roof with a screaming baby in his arms. He was sure that he was going to die here, but, let's face it, the roof wasn't that high off of the ground. He slipped down into the snow with a thud and felt the cold ice coat his face, but Cole was safe. The snow cushioned his landing, and he cushioned Cole's.

18:50

Snow snow snow

Drifting drifting.

Down down down.

It piled along her green-coated shoulders, flakes looking like dandruff in her dull-red hair. Scarlet stared at the man who had saved her life, his gun lowering with vibrating fingers. A soft shaky chuckle fell from his teeth, sweat-slicked brow shining under the stadium lights. Jacobs didn't meat his weak smile, her gaze falling over the headless woman that had once given life to her. She could feel the edges of her vision blurring, salt water welling up in her lids.

"You shot my mom!" She finally yelled, voice cracking. It had been doing that a lot lately.

"Hey--hey she was going to eat your face!" He replied, even louder. His chocolate-milk eyes looking... sad.

"Well thank you rent-a-cop for--"

Something leaped from behind the truck, it's face slamming into the guard's neck. There was only a heartbeat for her to react, his large body going down.

Down down.

Blood sprayed along her upper lip, drops creeping down her forehead. She bit down hard on her lower lip, the wound on her tongue whimpering. There was a scraping sound, mixed in with the wet slapping and slurping of the red-bearded creature that munched on the man choking on his own blood.

Scarlet kept her movements slow, eyes fixed on the back of her father's head.

She slowly shuffled towards the pistol, heart racing.

Her fingers closed over cold metal and...

She took off, scooping up one of her many bags and slamming the front door to her father's truck. She didn't bother to check her rear view mirrors, or buckle her seat belt.

With the keys already in the ignition she turned over the engine and revved off.... sobs shaking her body.

What the hell had she just witnessed?

He couldn’t have been any older than thirty or so, maybe thirty-five at a push. He had a refined body, not a huge guy, but a slightly muscular one – He had a shaved head, and Mark was that kind of kid that assumed things and was usually right – This guy’s hairline was absolutely shit, he could only guess, and for that, he felt sorry for him. Mark was sobbing quietly in the passenger seat of the cop car, but what was it doing for him? Not much – He got some sympathy, but right now, he was working on stopping Cole from crying.

“It’s okay, Cole… Don’t cry…” He gently rocked him from side to side and sniffled a little, hoping that the baby would just stop screaming so they could drive in peace.

“.. That your brother, kid?” He asked.

“N-N-No… No, it was… He’s… He’s…”

“Kid… Calm down. What’s your name?”

“Mark… My name’s Mark.”

“And the kid’s Cole, right?”

“Right.”

“And he is your…?”

“Cousin.” He gulped and shook his head. “Where are we going?” He asked. There’d been something on the radio not too long ago about some sort of… Evacuation. Was it really that bad? For some reason, Mark didn’t spare a thought about his parents. Isn’t that odd? He didn’t care, though, all he cared about was his cousin. That was the only important person in his life right now, and he didn’t even know what he was going to do with him. He still had the baby bag, and it was this kind officer that had dragged his sorry ass out of the snow.

He remembered the broadcast. State of Emergency, Evacuation Protocol, and before he could even remember the location…

“Military Base. We’ll be there in ten minutes.” The police officer said, and that was that settled. They were heading there, but to go where? Where would they be evacuated to?

Time would only tell.

Scarlet drove.

And drove.

Her body felt numb, eyes glued to the sludge-covered road. She scanned the street, watching for black ice and thick chunks of solid snow that fell off the back of shaking cars. Her breaths came in waves of stuttering puffs, lungs wheezing as she tried desperately to calm herself. She stared at the gun grasped in her palm, the other hand holding the steering wheel tightly. The station her father normally listened to was off the air, a high-pitched ring echoing in the truck's speakers.

Suddenly, there was a continuous beep, one that seemed to split her ears. She groaned to herself, pressing her ear unto her shoulder before a female voice broke over the noise.

"Emergency broadcast-- Evacuation for the Fargo/Moorehead area is now mandatory. Civilians and military officials will be shuttled by bus--" Scarlet slammed the butt of the pistol into the power button, flipping the radio off before she made a sharp U-turn.

The base.

Everyone would be heading there. They'd know what was going on, they had to.

She shook her head, sniffing hard. The cold was beginning to seem through the closed windows, her rush to leave seeming to wipe the thought of a heater from her mind.

Or the thought of a jacket.

She flung the loaded gun into the bloodstained passenger seat, flipping the heater on high. It took her five minutes to pull past the Aviation school, next came the air museum, and finally the military base.

A police cruiser was trudging through the gates before her, two armed guards halting them for a moment. They peaked into the driver's side, then to the back, before ushering the cop through.

She rolled forward, the young soldier to her left ordering for her window to be rolled down. He gazed at the dark splotches of blood on her face, the vibrating of her traumatized body, and the flecks of flesh caking her uniform. She flashed him her dogtags, but the man wasn't satisfied.

"Ma'am could you please step out of the vehicle?" He droned, then moved his head so his mouth was barely pressed against his shoulder. He pushed a button on his talkie, and murmured something to his subordinates.

"Ma'am?"

Scarlet nodded slowly, hands never seeming to stay still.

However, when she didn't take any initiative in moving, the officer grabbed her violently by the shoulder and ripped her from the driver's seat.

Arrival

".. How long do you think we'll be waiting?" Mark asked with a sniffle as he looked out of the windscreen and towards the gates. There was some sort of hold up that he could only just about see from behind the line of cars in front of them. This place seemed safe enough, but right now, he was hungry after throwing up his dinner, he was tired, scared, thirsty, and worst of all, he needed to pee really badly. ".. Do you--.. do you think they'll let me use a bathroom here?" He asked hesitantly, sniffling once again. The police officer lied back in his seat and reached out, gently ruffling Mark's hair with a sigh.

"I'd think so, kiddo. I mean, look... They're not going to want a mess, you're a kid, so everyone feels sorry for you, and you've got a baby - They're going to be at least a little bit nice to you, surely." He said, simply, then offered him the best smile he could. "So you said your name was Mark?" He asked, Mark simply nodded and wiped his nose with one arm, the little baby now fast asleep in his other one once again. Mark didn't want him to grow up in chaos, but he didn't know that that was going to be the case yet, so he was wrong to assume.

With some of the things he'd seen on the way over here, however... That assumption was pretty accurate for now.

"Okay, Mark..." He sighed. "Do you know any way to get in contact with your parents?" He asked. Mark just looked at him and he rubbed his chin awkwardly in response. "I just... I don't know if they'll need me for anything here, kid... I don't want to leave you on your own, that's all." He said, looking in the rear-view mirror for a moment. Nothing. He could see some sort of ruckus going on with a woman down front, but he didn't know what. There were dozens of people already lined up behind them, but some of them were injured, some bitten, so it was only going to be a matter of time before something went wrong.

Mark was more upset about the fact he was sitting on a full bladder, but he'd be able to hold out for a little while longer, at least until they were inside. He didn't care what anyone told him, even when he was going to the bathroom there was no way that he was going to let go of Cole - Not at least until he found someone that he trusted to take care of him. If he didn't, then... Well... You know, he'd find a way to deal with it and all that, as hard as that was going to be. He just needed to get it all dusted off, and then he'd be okay. He'd be juuuust fine.

The man was anything but careful when yanking her to the side, motioning for his partner to call up another soldier to take her truck away.

The air made this all the more unbearable, bitter cold nipping at Scarlet's nose. He pressed the barrel of his gun into her back, ordering her to rotate her body slowly while three hazmat suits poked and prodded at her skin. One opened her lid wide, flashing a small penlight into her pupil several times.

It was...humiliating.

Two other heavily-clad US marines took her into a poor excuse for a shack and watched while a woman stripped her of her blood-drenched clothing to search for bite-marks.

She was unaware of their motives, staring blankly into nothing while her lower lip quivered. Gloved hands ran over her skin, making her shiver. There was no heat in the enclosed space, and once she was deemed healthy by their standards they appointed Jacobs a fresh uniform and uttered a short apology.

Flakes of red still cluttered her freckled cheeks when she was rushed into a large dome-like building. The smell of cooking stew, beans, meat, and bread filled the air.

Along with the stench of copper.

One woman in the corner was handing out dull-green blankets, while another was jotting down several things on a black clipboard.

"Passengers A-12 will be boarding the shuttle bus in minus fifteen, all women and children evacuate first." A soft voice rang over the intercom, echoing above their heads.

She stood at the entrance, shivering as many other bodies rammed into her shoulders, trying to brush past her.

When they finally managed to get through the gate, Mark had his legs crossed, and it was that that got them through and checked out just that little bit faster. And the fact that Mark had a baby with him - That was just sympathy at its finest, really. They got let through, and Mark got escorted to a bathroom within one of the buildings. He didn't want to let go of Cole, though, but he didn't know how he was going to do his business without doing so. He looked up at the police officer that had came along with him, and then looked down at Cole in desperation.

"Want me to hold him, kid?" He asked.

"Uh..."

"Go on." He held out his arms. "We ain't got all day, and I promise, if you need confirmation that I'm still here, just holler from inside, okay?" He smiled a little. Mark just nodded and hesitantly handed the baby off to the officer before vanishing into the restroom. He didn't know if this was one of the more reserved ones, because there was no one else here. Was it just because he was a kid that he was getting all of this sympathy? He didn't know, but he was happy to be there, so he went as quick as his body would allow him, then washed his hands and instantly went back outside to collect Cole from the man's arms.

He got the little one back, and with that, he was escorted off to the bus that he was meant to be boarding. He was in a line of women and children, and it was terrifying with all the shouting and the screaming and shoving that was going on, but he tried to deal with it as best he could. It wasn't until he got onto the bus that he started crying, and how Cole hadn't woken yet was beyond him. He disappeared to one of the back seats and dropped himself down into it, the bag sat down on the window-side of the seat.

He'd move it if anyone else needed the place, and he'd also let them sit by the window, but for now, he was keeping that there. He was upset and scared and his little panic attack had just began to kick in. He was shaking and crying, but there was nothing he could do to stop it. There was no point asking anyone for help, as most people were busy looking after their own babies, their own children, their own young teenage sons and daughters. They had no room for him in their lives, and that made him sob even more.

He was sobbing quietly into Cole's blanket, and there were just a few words that he wanted to say, but couldn't muster up the strength to spit them out. He remained in sobs, no words spoken, but the words he wanted to say were fresh in his mind.

Someone, please help me. I'm all alone and I need help.

After a few long moments, a guard along the side of the wall grabbed Scarlet by the arm again.

Always with the grabbing.

He was impatient, and breathing in harsh sighs as he pushed her past a group of men hugging and kissing their wives and children. She watched, blankly, as they passed. The whole time, she wanted to scream. Wanted to yell and shout and beat her hands against this militant officer that held no form of compassion or care. Battle had made him bitter, and the way his piercing eyes warned her not to struggle made rocks drop in the pit of her stomach.

"We're all scared, Kid." He muttered and pushed her into a line of cranky mothers and tired infants. "You're just a Private, we can't use you." He said simply,shoving her duffel into her shaking palms and left her to her own devices.

She gazed at the backs of these heads, and the line crawled onto a large city bus.

On the vehicle, everyone seemed hostile and angry. Not at all like how most Norwegian-rooted families would have acted. Then again, this was a crisis.

Scarlet would shuffle up to an empty seat next to a mother or a teen and they'd bitterly press their hand or bag into the chair, refusing to let a no-good jar-head take up their breathing space.

One woman even began to yelp: "You shouldn't be on here! You should be out clearing the streets, doing your job!"

No one seemed to understand that she was without a rank, the lowest piece of shit on the totem pole.

A private.

Barely.

It took her almost ten minutes to finally find a seat... but it was covered by another baby bag. And sat next to it was a sniveling kid, tears staining his pale cheeks. He was crying into the soft baby-blue blankets of a sleeping infant, his shoulders shaking.

She felt something, like a sort of sympathy, dry her mouth. She knelt down in the middle of the Isle, making a crowd of people trying to pass glance angry stares at her. She ignores them, gently placing her hand on the poor guy's shoulder.

"Are you alright?" She breathed softly, placing her luggage on the floor next to her. Ice-water was sinking into her cargo pants, staining her knees. "Where's your mother? Do you need me to find her?"

Mark looked up with his big dark and tear-filled eyes at the woman that had knelt down beside him and sniffled. "Oh!" He said out of shock, not really getting much of what she said due to how much he was panicking. "I'm so sorry, just--.. Uhm..." He said, lifting the bag with one arm and shuffling up to the window. He didn't want the window seat, but he wasn't going to get in the way and cause an argument here, so he shoved the bag down onto the floor, resting his feet at either side of it, and moved right to the window so that she could sit down. He looked at her and continued sniveling as he looked down at the little warm and sleeping infant in his arms. He kept looking at Scarlet for a moment before promptly bursting into tears.

".. They didn't get here. I was staying with my aunt and uncle and my mom and dad didn't come here!" He sobbed, bowing his head to look down at his knees. "My--.. My--.. My Uncle attacked my Aunt, and... And he killed her, so-so-so I got my cousin here and I ran, I climbed out of a window and fell off of the patio roof into the snow and a police officer came and saved us, but--.. But I've been separated from him, too!" He sobbed, getting himself into more of a state than he was in before. It wasn't easy for a thirteen-year-old, was it? Of course it wasn't. He was all alone in this.

"I'm just so scared." He whimpered. "I don't know what to do because now there's no one here with me! Everyone's gone..." He said, breaking down into more quiet tears as he slumped his head down and rested it in the infant's blanket. He just needed to let all of the emotion flow, and that was exactly what he did. He needed to let it out somewhere, and all of that had been bottled up since the moment he hit the floor at the bottom of the stairs, even though some of it was emptied out alongside his dinner into the bowl of a toilet, a lot of it was still there. He was starving, and the only form of food he had on him was baby formula.

".. I'm hungry, and cold, and thirsty, and I don't know what to do." He whimpered, continuing to gently sob and sniffle.

Scarlet was almost ambushed by the child's sudden burst. Her mouth frozen open as word-vomit came spilling from his low mouth. He shoved the baby bag to the floor, shuffling to the window seat and allowing her to take the open chair.

She sat there, watching him with soft green and brown eyes, ears pried open while he sniffed and bawled.

It was understandable.

And she didn't give him any grief.

She wasn't use to having siblings, or having to take care of a child-- let alone an infant-- but the first thing that popped out at her was the fact that he was hungry.

Food.

That she could do.

"Just, hold on, one second." She said quietly, and pulled the black duffel onto her lap. In most of her luggage, thank goodness for her snack-hording during basic training, she had packets of crisps and bags of chocolate covered pretzels.

She dug into the array of black and blue clothing, past the sea of folded underwear that made her cheeks burn red. Finally, she retrieved three bags of cheese and onion, one bag of dried peaches, and two more large bags of salted and yogurt covered pretzels.

She quickly shoved the closed luggage under her feet, resting her combat boots on top of it with little care and opened a crisp packet.

"Here." She insisted, taking a chip out and pulling it to the boy's mouth... seeing as his arms were full of sleeping infant. "Your bloodsugars are probably low."

She hated how inexperienced she was with this sort of thing, but all she could do was try.

Mark opened his mouth and gladly took the food with a sob, chewing on it quickly. For the next one, he tried to reach up to take hold of it with one hand, but he was shaking so much that he just couldn't manage it. He kept letting her feed him until the whole pack was gone, and even then he was half-expecting something else to come up into his mouth that he could eat and put in his stomach, and hopefully keep there, but he doubted it. He just didn't want to leave Cole. Cole was his responsibility now, and the last thing he'd ever think of doing was leaving him. He wasn't that sick, no, he'd rather die than leave this baby to the wolves. He'd protect him to his heart's content.

"Thank you." He sniffled. "My name's... My name's Mark." He whimpered quietly. "This is Cole." He gently rocked the little baby in his arms to motion him to her. "He's my cousin, and..." He sighed and shook his head. "I'm sorry, I'm really flustered and generally upset." He sighed and looked down at the floor, shaking his head a few times. "I brought only baby stuff with me like clothes and diapers and formula and baby powder." He sniffled once and looked at her, scanning her up and down. A young and pretty thing, but someone who was actually quite comforting to have.

"Thanks for the food and sitting here with me." He said quietly, looking down at Cole as he reached up and gently stroked his cheek with one finger. "I'm thirteen." He added on as a necessary detail. "Just in case you wanted to know, or anything like that... Cole's... He's only two months old, but he's heavy, for a baby that age I mean." He smiled softly and looked the baby over once again.

"Do you have any idea where we're going?" He asked. He didn't know, because he'd heard nothing on it, and the police officer friend he had must have been on a different bus, because right now he couldn't see him around anywhere, which was worrying, and the bus was pretty much full, too. Ah, well, not much he could do now. At least he had someone being friendly to him.

After Mark had finished off the first packet, the redhead slipped her thumb under the flap of the large bag of pretzels. She pulled at both sides, ripping the seal open, listening to the boy speak. His voice was soft and timid, and the way he was taking on all that responsibility...

It made her feel inferior.

"Cole's lucky to have such a brave cousin." She said quietly, grabbing a large piece of salted wheat and bringing it up to the boy's mouth. "I'm sure we'll be able to get supplies: clothes, food, water..." she trailed off, patting down the thick pouch-like pocked against her right thigh. She gave a soft nod, mostly to herself, relieved that she still had a wad of cash.

"My name's Scarlet." She smiled, meeting his gaze. If she were to dye her hair a darker color, they would have looked like siblings. "I'm 19, I just landed from Basic Training in Austin, Texas." She then flipped two silver dog tags from her collar.

The darkness outside swirled around the bus, the howling winds of the winter whipping and scratching at the sides. The heater inside the moving vehicle was on full blast, and the place was starting to smell of sweat and baby formula. So many children.

His last question perked her ears, the same one that was teasing the back of her mind. "Hold on." She murmured, and placed the bag of snacks in her empty seat as she stood and leaned over to disturb a friendly-looking blond woman who was bobbing her son on her lap, making him squeal and giggle.

"Excuse me, ma'am?" She cleared her throat, sending green eyes to glance at her.

"Do you know where we're going?" Scarlet asked quickly, voice hushed to keep from stirring any sleeping children.

"Last I heard--" the woman leaned in with a small smile. "--We were headed to Aberdeen. I think they're putting us on a bigger bus, said we're going South. Something about a virus, a nice Marine told me there was nothing to worry about deary." She patted the back of Jacobs' hand, as if to comfort her.

Scarlet thanked the woman and took her seat before the driver could scream at her for standing while the vehicle was in motion.

"South Dakota, they're putting us on a bigger bus."

"Scarlet..." He nodded happily, he looked more relaxed now that he knew her name. "I'm happy to meet you, Scarlet. We both are." He chuckled. He noticed how hot it was beginning to get on the bus so he carefully unwrapped a single blanket from Cole and left it at that, leaving him wrapped up in his clothes and one other thin blanket. He ate the food that was held out to him and smiled at her again. "Thanks for your kindness." He squeaked quietly. "I didn't really thank you for that, I mean... There's not many people who'd sit down and help out a crying kid with a baby in his arms, you know? Thank you for doing that. It really means a lot." He smiled at her and nodded a few times.

He was grateful, yeah. He missed his parents, he missed the police officer that was with him, but he had Cole, and now he had this kind girl called Scarlet, too. He watched her as she leaned over and conversed with a woman with her child and gritted his teeth a little. "Some people seemed really aggressive here, so he was hoping that she wouldn't just snap at her for no good reason. Then again, she was a mother. She wouldn't do that in front of her child, would she? Thankfully, she didn't do that, and he was happy to see that Scarlet got a civilized response from her.

"South Dakota?" He smiled. "I've got family there." He looked down at the floor for a moment. "I have cousins, too, like... One's about my age, but I never really saw him that much." He shrugged. "My dad's mom and dad live there, but they're not the grandparents I see all the time. They lived in the same town as us, my mom's parents... Still, I'd like to be able to see all of those people again. They were a good family." He smiled and looked at Cole again, gently stroking his cheek with one finger again, a warm little smile sticking onto his face.

".. They're probably all dead, aren't they?" He asked, his smile quickly fading. He didn't look sad. He just looked like he lost that little tinge of hope that he had for the family he had left down there. "Same for my parents." He shrugged once and looked up at her, sighing .".. So... Are... Are we gonna' like, stick together in this? Or are they gonna' make us split up?" He asked. This time he did look worried. Why would he want to lose someone who'd been nice to him again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back