The Fox and the Hound (1x1)

Mischief

As the title suggests, this RP is an adaptation of the Disney film The Fox and the Hound.

Instead of animals as the character, they are all human, and the setting is a made up medieval land.

The main plot will follow the movie more or less, but the rest is up to us.

I want this RP to be semi-literate at the least. The more literate the better. One or more decent paragraphs please. Dialogue is the only exception, as it get rather taxing to find a way to stretch a reply to another character into a paragraph.

Prologue

A Forgotten Encounter

The night was clear and cold, the cloudless sky sucking away any warmth from the torches and bonfires that dotted the crowded Bailey town. The streets were mostly empty, save the scattered latecomer heading home from a long day at the docks, or the mines, or the bakery, blacksmith, or carpenter's. It was quiet. It was peaceful. It was safe, as the Bailey usually was. There was hardly any need for the Provost Guard to be out, though they kept a few officers out to patrol the streets. It was an easy job. Nothing went wrong in the Bailey.

Down the hill, past the Bailey gates, and past a few other quiet settlements, was another town, closer to the river. The housing there was more than a little less than luxurious, mostly built of the drift that washed through the river after a storm. Here, the streets were alive all hours of the day. While the sun was up, bustling business went about, a shanty of a market place bubbled with haggles and gossip. The docks were roiling with testosterone, river skips docking and pulling out, fish being carted from them, and barrels of supplies being carted back. It was just as loud there as it was in the market, shouts and calls, sailors looking for temporary work on an outgoing ship, not to mention the riverfront taverns strategically placed to lure in tired ship hands.

Indeed, Riverton was a bustling place during the day, but at night it was no less active. Shady dealings and street performers came out at night, using the dark to mask their sticky fingers and itching palms.

As the torches were being lit to keep the creeping darkness away, a detachment of Provost Guards came marching through the portcullis and through the main street, disrupting the night life's preparation for that night. However, they were not there to keep the pickpockets and swindlers from their gain. No, they were after a specific target. The whereabouts of a rather notorious thief had been uncovered. He was the guards' intended target; The Emerald Fox. Rumor was that the Emerald Fox never missed a mark, and was never caught. No one even knew who the Fox was. He was the quickest, cleverest, and stealthiest man alive, with the acrobatic skill that rivaled cats and mice. The only thing about the Fox that everyone knew, aside from his reputation, was that he had the most stunning green eyes anyone had ever seen, with flecks of coppery gold littered in them, as if someone had sprinkled stardust in his eyes when he was born. The guard passed through town, making their way to a group of houses overlooking the docks.

Inside one of the dockside apartments, a tired couple tended to an wailing infant. He had been sleeping soundly, his parents turning out the candles and adding some chips to the embers of the fire to keep the poorly insulated apartment warm. This was to be their last night in this rat hole. They were moving up to the Bailey to start a life as a blacksmith. The one there was getting on in years, and had no apprentice.

The infant began his fit, having woken from presumably a nightmare. His mother came and scooped him up, shushing him and rocking him gently, doing her best to calm the lad. The father went to the fire, a pot of milk in his hands and placed the pot on the embers, warming the milf to give to the child to save his wife's poor, sore breasts from another night of suckling. Their son was beginning to calm down.

A hard knock at the door startled them all, starting the child crying all over again. The mother looked at the door, her heart fluttering. She nodded to her husband, to which he stood and came to the door, opening it a crack, "Who comes to my door at this time?" He asked, peeking out. The door was rammed open, shoving him back. He was not a heavy man, slim and fit, lean as a cat. He certainly fit the build.

"Nathan Benbow, The Emerald Fox, you are under arrest for suspicion of grand larceny, breaking and entering, obstruction of the law and avoiding and resisting arrest on numerous accounts. You and your family are under arrest." Stated one of the four guards that had entered the room.

"What?!" Cried the accused, Nathan, "That's ridiculous! The Emerald Fox is a myth! You Dogs aught to know that!" He spat, using the common term for the Provost Guard. He away as the men approached. He glanced at his wife, clutching the whimpering baby in her arms. With a flick of his wrist, Nathan had a dagger in his hand, "Rebecca, run! Take Kale and Run!" He yelled and lunged at the men arresting them. There was a scuffle, odds were against Nathan, but Rebecca did as her husband had told her, clutching her baby closely, she jumped out of the window. She turned to run down the street, but the Dogs had seen that coming, and had posted someone at the window. This man was new to the force, but capable, and when he saw the woman come out of the window, he got his baton out. "Don't make this worse for yourself. Come quietly and you and your child will likely go free."

"You know nothing then!" Rebecca growled, knowing a truth the Dog obviously did not. "There is no mercy at the court." She lashed out with her own concealed dagger, cutting the lad above the eye,turning and running the other way, the young guard taking after her. She was fast, and weaved through the maze of alleys with ease. She obviously knew these back streets like her own house, so well so that the young pursuer was having trouble keeping up with her. She kept running, strait out of Riverton and up the hill to one of the smaller settlements below the Bailey.

The houses here were spread about, crops and animal pens taking up most of the space between housing. Rebecca was running out of breath. She had to stop. Looking behind her, she could hear the Hound on her tail. He was nothing if not diligent. Little Kale was still crying, and he was sure to give her away. She bundled him up and shushed him. It was the running. It was too much jostling for him to take. She had to set him down. A quick scan of the area and she knew what to do. Running into a carrot patch, she set her baby boy in the cover of the carrot tops, next to a fence post to mark where he was for when she came back for him. She refused to think that something would happen to prevent her from returning to him. She kissed his forehead, her emerald eyes glimmering with tears she refused to shed. He looked up at her, his eyes the same as hers. He had his mother's eyes, the brightest green anyone had ever seen, with a sprinkle of stardust.

She left him, and ran for the woods that surrounded the eastern side of the farming settlement, the Provost Dog catching sight of her and giving chase once more. Baby Kale lay bundled in his blanket at the bottom of that fence post, surrounded in the leafy greens of the carrot tops. His mother never returned.

At the first hint of sunlight in the air, Rhona was up and ready for romping. She knew by now not to wake her grey haired parents until the sun was completely over the hill to the east of their farm, so as usual, she silently sneaked out of her room and through the kitchen, out into the garden and off the property. The sun had yet to peek over the east hill, but the light radiating from the horizon was enough to see by, casting everything in a blue haze. The little Mumper loved the smell of the crisp morning mist that still hung in the air, breathing in deep and letting it out with a satisfied sigh. What trouble would she cause today? What treasures would she find? Most important, what adventure would she go on today?

When she reached the road, she stopped, standing up strait and looking out over the endless fields of farmland that belonged to her family and all of their neighbors. Way off in the distance to the north, she could barely make out the buildings that marked the end of farmland and the beginning of the walled in Bailey town.

She turned to face south, and though she could not see it, as it was covered by dense trees, she knew the road through the woods leading to Riverton snaked it's way down there. To the west, there was the nobles and knight's land, awarded by the king for those he deemed deserved it. It was a fun place to stir up commotion, and the pickings were great! Pockets filled with the shiny she took to so greedily. Finally to the east, towards the rising sun, was uncharted territory for her. There was a road, so she knew there was something out there somewhere, but she never ventured out far enough to find out what, and she never bothered asking. What fun was it to be told what was out there? She wanted to find out on her own. Someday she would.

Unable to make up her mind on where she wanted to go, she decided to close her eyes and start spinning. It was not an uncommon sight. The little redhead spinning in the middle of the dirt road early in the morning, like a weather vane in a wind storm. She stopped suddenly and teetered as he equalibreum settled, then opened her eyes. She was facing the Bailey town. Rhona smiled and set off at a skip toward the waking kingdom gates. The market would be getting ready for the day's haggling, and she knew all the right vendors to visit.

The orchestra of the night began to silence as the tips of the leaves shone in a violet yellow color. The sun breaking through the trees as the light permeated and defeated the low blue dark around the forest. The once subtle fiddle of the grass hopper replaced with the light chirps of the morning flock shaking the cold from their feathers and moving to get warm.

The bushes rattled as the branches parted and a young boy made his way through the glowing underbrush as the clear pearl beads bounced the rays of light across the awakening forest. The sound of boots slid across the blades of grass as leaves crunched under toe. A peach hand rose from the tips of the brown branches coming to the forehead of a young boy. Wiping the sweat from his brow and flicking the lightly salted water away from the back of his hand. In hand opposite it clutched a heavy rope with ties of dead birds and a small sow dangling from it.

"Wooh-ee... its already morning." His blue eyes sparkled with in an intense purpose as his mouth slid open to let out a joyous smile. This was his day to go to market with his father to vendor the fur and meat to those around. Lyatt quickly moved through the foliage as if he had memorized every twig and stump in his path as he raced towards his family's large wooden estate. The boisterous log cabin sat next to a medium smoke house whose billow was already pouring out the warm steam and scent of cooking flesh. With a quick inhale of the warm perfume he hung up the rack of animals he had just procured from his trap and headed through the door. All with a warm smile painted on his youthful face.

"Wash up Lyatt. Your hands look filthy." A motherly voice called out from inside the kitchen separated by two wooden shutters.

"Yesm."

Lyatt quickly walked to the wash room and poured the cool pitcher over his hands as the cold stung and tingled his warm hands. grabbing the bar of lavender scented goat milk soap. He scrubbed his hands as he watched his hard manual labor filted down the dark hole of the sink. With that complete he raced back into the room and took to the table in a great hurry eagerly awaiting food.

"Lyatt... come now."

"Yesm." Forgetting his duties the young boy took to his feet from the chair grabbing the metal plates and cups and placing them around the table.

"Sorry ma'am."

"Oh Tush honey you ain't hurt nobody."

The Salted hair mother pressed through the shutters with the smoking food on wooden trays to protect from heat. The sizzling large chunks of bacon popped with the sound of its own juices dancing upon its surface. The eggs scent cuddled with the rich aroma of bacon as she sat the tray down Lyatt's mouth opened wide in anticipation.

"Now Lyatt how ever will you catch a lady like that. The only thing you'll catch with that is flies."

The mom giggled with her seasoned voice as she took a seat next to Lyatt.

"Momma, I don't need no lady they just slow me down."

"You best find a lady, I wont be there to look after you all the thime."

"I wont needem ill be ah knight!"

The sound of steps coming down from inside the house split the talking as the room fell hush. Lyatts face quickly looked down to his empty plate his hands retreating into his lap. His ifngers began to massage themselves in a nervous action with each step causing Lyatt to cringe.

"Whats this talk about becomin a knight."

"Well hunny, It's Lyatts dream to be one you kno that."

"HAH! Boy I thought I told you they wont let no retard son into the knights. I know its hard to understand as it has to get through that head of urs."

"I-i-i-i know... I just taught."

"You thought what? You could somehow be allowed in by some miracle. God's got better thangs to do than give some mule of a boy the chance to be a knight...."

"well i just was just thingkin that maybeh I could make it... You know I been tryin to read. An you don't need me to work here no more my brothers gunna take ovah the business they got more sense den me."

"Thinking boy... thats your issue there ain't nothin in that head of yours worth a good thought. Now this joke of yours about bein a knight has been goin on to long. Its hard enough to see if I can getchu a job worth something with that head of yours. Now hush that talk."

"B-bu-"

"End of Discussion. We headin to town today. Now lets eat before the morning get to late..."

Lyatt walked along the cart as the wheels squeaked in age and defiance as its ruts dug into the morning moist dirt carving path through the sludge. His hands slowly traced along their old mares coat as the tiny fibers of hair tickled his fingertips. The horse let out a slight neigh and looked towards the young boy. His hand moved across the massive steads hide splaying the white hair as Lyatts hand moved to the face of the horse where he gave it a quick pat as they continued their walk. Lyatt's eyes quickly looked back at his father. A man of salt and peppered hair whose skin slightly drooped. He was a well eaten man who still had muscle from hunting. The broad shoulders the thick neck and block like face made him look menacing even at his old age. The father cast his gaze around the other traveling vendors as he let out a little smirk looking at their meager stock.

Lyatt's hand dug into his pouch quickly as he took out a small orange carrot and pressed it near the horses mouth as it gave a little crunch the tiny vegetable disappeared in an instant. Lyatt gave the horse another pet then continued to gaze around the trail as something caught his eye in the crowd of people. A streak of bright red hair, red like the scarlet cloth of crimson. The fibers danced along as the body of whatever held them moved quickly through the crowd. Lyatt stood on his tipyy toes trying to gaze over the husks of people for who or whatever had caught his eye.

"Lyatt! Pay attention boy you aint got no business wandering off yet."

Lips pulled into the usual smiled, white teeth flashing in the first rays of the skin warming sunlight that peeked over the hill, Rhona weaved and bobbed through the steadily growing crowd of merchants. She knew better than to get into their pockets yet. They were thin, nearly empty to make room for the day's profit at the market. Instead, her early morning take would be the gossip she overheard as it passed from merchant to merchant. Seemed like the usual food for thought this time. Nothing new. Boring. Rhona slowed her pace and looked around, hopping up and down to see over the carts and people. Her emerald eyes sparkled happily when she spotted who she was looking for. She pushed through the people, backtracking a bit, to make her way to a specific cart pulled by a great Shire. "Hullo Gil!" The scrawny girl greeted the horse fondly, scratching his chin lightly, then looking up at the driver, "Guess who Mrs. Bumble!"

At the sound of that high pitched voice calling her affectionately given name, Mrs. Bumble, or rather Mrs. Lane, looked around the hulking beast that Gilbert the horse was to see the familiar devilish grin that accompanied her little Mumper. "Well, well. Up to mischief this early are ye now?"

"Nope! Not yet! And you won't know when I am when I am!" Gil snorted into her ear, as if to say he could tell. Rhona giggled. "Can I ride into town with you Mrs. Bumble?" She asked, pushing the large face away from her head.

"Hop on up." The wrinkle woman patted the seat next to her, "Roads crowded already and I'd like the company."

Hop up she did, settling on the wooden seat and looking at the crowd, now raised to see above the carts. They all had different wares to sell, but one cart stood out. As she looked behind her Rhona saw one cart over full of skins and other animal goods. Rhona was no stranger to the concept of hunting, but she never could stomach the thought of killing another living thing. This merchant obviously saw nothing wrong in it, as told by the enormous amount of skins. The man driving the cart fit the profile, intimidating and mean looking, but the boy tagging along didn't look like he belonged to that way of life. She tilted her head as she looked over the boy, the gold flecks that mirrored her freckles shimmered in the sunlight.
"Who's that Mrs. Bumble?"

The lady turned her head to see what Rhona was talking about, spotting the large man and his heap of hunted goods. "You stay away from that merchant Mumper. That man will not think twice about hurting you should you pester him. He a rough one that Umbrill."

The very fact that she was being told to avoid the man made her want to get a closer look. She rolled into the back of the cart with all the wooden crates and sack of Mrs. Bumble's goods and poked her head up over the back of it, looking strait at the grump in the driver's seat. She grinned and waited for him to look at her before sticking her tongue out.

the tips of Lyatt's hair frosted with the winter winds that cascaded down from the town gate. The hill began to make its apex as the hungry towns mouth of a gate was held open, its wooden teeth with iron shackles swallowing each traveler and good. The eyebrows upon his forehead struck with intensity as he peered about for the red he had just seen. His eyes closed in on each and every cart as if searching for a thief he scour each of them with great intent. Then he saw it atop the canopy of a cart ahead as the gentle red thread bobbed and swished around. Lyatt could not see face nor figure as the hair turned about his eyes gazing at whatever person it was.... A cart slowly eazed in front of his view blocking him from witnessing the owner of that exotic hair stock. Lyatt usually never saw them when he went to town and his life was sheltered enough that to him it was an elusive creature.

The cart passed and the red had disappeared once more. With a quick flick around Lyatt stared towards his stern father

"Hey Pa... I saw someuh the boys through theh gate. You mind?"

The father not wishing to deter himself from rich manly interaction with other children tweaked his face slightly.

"Alright you go play for a bit boy, i'll be at yur brothers shahp. You best be there by the time I leave or you be walkin home."

With a quick head nod Lyatt's eyes lit up as he quickly took off in the direction of the cart weaving through man and animal to make it there. Lyatt's hunter trained eyes never lost a mark, through rain nor snow once he spotted it he could follow it. Finally reaching the cart he looked around the side and the front. Seeing a lone old lady with face asag with age. Lyatt gave a little frown as he with great discouragement slowed his pace from that of the cart letting it slowly drag ahead of him.

Lyatt had lost his mark and now he would always-....

A flash of red caught his peripheral. As the light amber threads wove together to make a splendid mane that shone in the early morning sun painting it a rich orange that faded to scarlet. Time seemed to slow down as he watched it splay through the air and come down to a face. A young child... that looked to be a boy? A mans cap sat on his head and outfit matched that of street kids he had seen around. Lyatt couldn't help but feel enticed by the soft skin that held the light speckle of sun freckles that lay lightly on his cheeks. Lyatt shook his head in confusion as if to try and right himself.

The childs head stuck from cart and aimed away from him. Lyatt slowed down his pace then walked in front of the boy's view following the cart in toe.

"Exusem me." Lyatt slowly tilted his head round and followed the eyes of the boy that was onto his cart that pulled a few yards from him.

"Watchu doin ther?" His eyes came back to the young boy in front of him.

Rhona quickly got bored of trying to get a reaction out of the man. He was obviously well practiced in the art of ignoring anything fun. She instead went on examining the other carts, looking for something to keep an eye out for once the stalls were set up. There were a few things worth a second glance, but it seemed all the merchants had come to their senses and hidden away all of their fine wares for their journey.

Mrs. Lane kept an eye on the road ahead of her, but both ears were keeping track of her little hitchhiker back in the cart. That was at least until another little soul wandered up to her cart, looking expectantly at her empty passenger seat. Whatever he thought would be there obviously was not, as his face fell in disappointment briefly afterwards. Before she could ask him what he was looking for, the little tyke was off behind her field of view. "Hmmff, strange child." She muttered to herself and continued driving.

There was nothing to do now, and Rhona was getting bored. It happened sometimes that a vendor would bring a child or two with them to market days, but it did not seem to be the case this time. She sighed, drooping her head and staring at the grooves in the dirt left by all of the wagons, weighed down by the wears inside. That was when a voice came to her hears. A young voice, that of another child! She turned to face him with a smile, the gold flecks in her emerald eyes twinkling happily.
"Oh hi!" She greeted, hopping down expertly from the cart to stand in front of the lad. "I was watching the merchants and wondering what they was sellin'. I never seen you afore! What's yer name? Where ya from? Why're you here? Wanna be my friend?" She barely paused for breath as she spoke, excitement practically spewing from her pores. She loved meeting new people. As she waited for his answer, she looked him over. He looked to be about her age, though obviously heavier and stronger. There was a sharpness in his eyes, but they also seemed a bit dull at the same time. That was strange.

Lyatt retracted back as the boys head quickly turned to face his the green eyes captivated his as he watched the rose petaled lips flap open and closed. The words forming from it danced along the air in quick breezes soaring past his ear. Lyatt shook his head quickly coming out of his trance and listening to the questions that flickered as quick as the flame in his hearth.

"Uhhh uhhh... Mah names Lyatt. Mmmmmmm."

The tinkering in his brain stopped taking his hand in front of his chest and began to count the questions on his index middle and thumb tapping them one at a time as he answered them.

"From mah Mama!" Lyatt proclaimed loudly as he curled up his middle finger answering one of the questions.

"Uhh.... Im with my Pa here sellin sum furs.." The index finger retracted down to his palm as well.

"BOY WOULD I!" Lyatt exclaimed.

His mouth rose to a great large smile the softness in his face made the smile even more warm and gentle than before. A slight touch of blush touched his cheeks. Lyatt did not have any friends aside from his hunting hounds at home he was alone in this world from any kind of affection outside the family. If you want friends you gotta be intelli.... intell... smart that's what his father had always said. The saying had stuck with him since last year in town where he earned his first nickname. Lame Lyatt a simple choice of words but arrows all the same that hurt.

Lyatt's eyes slightly closed in this happy warmth of someone asking him finally to be his friend. The corners began to fill with little water puddle of emotion that he quickly wiped away. The wheels in head turned again as they clicked on one pressing issue.

Lyatt blinked a couple times as his smile turned into a scrunch press as he tilted sideways and looked up and to his right accessing his brains memories. He never heard the name... did he miss it. Did he screw up his one chance at having a friend.

He looked at the young boy with an earnest look of shame. Lyatts left hand quickly rose to his face as his index finger scratched his cheek in embarrassment.

"Uhh sorry it seems i dun furgot yur name."

Lyatt chuckled as he tried to salvage the situation.

Rhona tilted her head in amusement at the way this boy, Lyatt, racked his mind remembering her question. In order even! Her impish grin broadened as he went on to answer, reaching from ear to ear when he concluded. His final answer blew her away. The sheer amount of excitement emanating from him was astounding to her. She was used to making friends pretty quickly, but no one ever acted so ecstatic before. Either she had become famous amongst the youth of the kingdom, or this boy lived a very lonely life. Either way, Rhona had a new friend, and someone to play with today. The merchants may have just caught a break. "You're so cute! My name's Mumper. Nice to meet'cha!" She spat on her palm an held it out to him for a hand shake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back