• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Tales from the Sunless Sea (Closed)

Sir Knight

sunlesssea0219151280jpg-daaab8_1280w.jpg

The Underzee. Deep. Dark. Dangerous. What tales shall be wrought in the Sunless Sea of the Bazaar?

Last edited:
92f81538e5393dc89ba867198115eb81--pirate-art-pirate-ships.jpg
Captain Anna Waters (Nickname unmade)

[ (In messy writings and hop smelling paper)
Dear Anny,

It must be shocking when you receive this, that I have already retired in my townhouse. I have also left my ship, and all my relics, and everything but my townhouse to you, dear girl. Thank me later. Have fun being Captain!

Your ol grandpa

]

Folding the paper in her hand, Anna lifted her head at the battered body of the ship. Whatever it was, it bent the metals and broke that railing there. It barely looked operatable. And it was merely docking, not in the process of repair. For a second Anna thought to herself whether her grandpa secretly hated her. It's been years too, and he still calls her 'Anny'. But most likely the old man just took a liking to that name, and stuck with it for the twenty years she had been living.

She was told to see what she inherit today, but apparently, she had to pay to repair her objects now. Well, objects, her. Like any zailor, her grandpa would never call the ship an 'it'. Delilah the Unsinkable, it painted on the side. Anna sighed for the choice of naming, but the old man might actually die if she changes it. Not like she had that fragment of imagination to spare.

"You, the granddaughter of Waters?"

A silvered-hair zailor stopped her. She nodded politely. "Ow and I thought you'd still be a baby girl? The way he talked about you... Anyways, the crew is waiting for you. Whoever is not hungover, that way. "

He pointed to a table set up near the harbour. Not a lot of people and chairs were there, really.

Anna felt a little confused. Do people inherit ship crew too when they inherit the ship? Was this really normal? Or did grandpa persuaded them? Throwing her ponytail back, she said good-bye to the zailor and walked towards the crew, confused and doubtful. Even from afar some of them looked sketchy. She never thought carefully before, but Anna didn't know enough of her grandpa the captain. He could be a pirate for all she knew.

She reached. Hiding her nervousness and doubts she stood straight and held her head proper. "Is this the crew of Delilah the Unsinkable? I am Captain Waters. Captain Anna Waters."

"Devil" - The Unnamed Physician

1e7c3025d687a1b6b6041a6bfcb34fb5--sunless-sea-fallen-london.jpg

Devilbone dice were rolled, lighting up and crackling with each turn, almost as if they were loaded with gunpowder.
"Such an unlucky streak... The game is mine, my friend."
Reluctantly, a zailor brought his lips up to the Devil's ear, whispering the secrets and cryptic clues that he had put at stake. His bright-eyed opponent buzzed happily, before a new presence captured his attention.

The Unnamed Physician did a swift turn on his heels, welcoming this new voice that proclaimed itself as ”Captain Anna Waters” with a devilish smile. Extending his arms with a wide flourish, the Devil began walking in her direction, speaking in honeyed words:

"Oh captain, my captain!~ We were expecting you!"

Gracefully, he took off his flat-topped hat, revealing a head of impeccable hair, slicked back. Placing the hat over his chest, he bowed deeply, never breaking eye contact with the captain.

"Your grandfather speaked so highly of you... Let us hope you live up to that expectation, yes?"

A short, amused laugh.

"I am the Delilah's esteemed Surgeon. The crew has taken a habit of calling me 'Devil'. You may do the same."

Taking a moment to straighten his red tie, he stepped to the side and placed the hat back upon his head. The physician curtly gestured to the rest of the crew. "Get acquainted with the rest of them! I am certain our navigator, Franz, is somewhere around here..."

At last, he quieted, simply observing the captain with the characteristic predatory gaze that Devils were oh so known for...

Osthavula Osthavula Sir Knight Sir Knight

Franz von Lorica. The Honey Stained Navigator.

Franz gazed upon the new captain with a bemused eye. So this was the scion of the old captain...He shook his head and stood up, straightening his brown honeyed stained waistcoat.

The Honey Stained Navigator sauntered over to her, gracefully shoving the bottle of absinthe into the arms of the Devil. ‘Ah, Captain Waters. A pleasure.’

He smiled as her as he gave a short bow out of curtesy. His amber eyes glinted with an almost dreamy curiosity. Franz reeked of honey and absinthe, though his posture and smile hinted that he was far from incompetent. It spoke of experience and understanding of the Sunless Sea. Not one to be doubted. Or so most think.

‘Franz von Lorica. First Officer of Delilah The Unsinkable, at your service.’

Von Lorica. The name well known amongst the artistic community of Fallen London. Though it certainly wasn’t him. No no. Rather it was due to his other family member. Perhaps she was familiar with the name.

‘I served your grandfather for some time, though I really only became an Officer when the last one had, err, an unfortunate accident so to speak.

Poor bugger. Ah well, time passes. ‘It’s a pleasure meeting you madam. If there’s anything else you wish to know, simply ask me.’

Last edited:
Sadly, the name von Lorica didn't ring a bell. For Anna, artistic circle and all that activities meant little.

The red-haired girl blinked, first was pressured by the devil saying her grandpa spoke highly of her... Did he? What did her grandpa say about her exactly? Anna was far from experienced as zee captain, saved for some silly theatrical play as a small child based on Grandpa Waters's tales. As unreliable as the memory serves, her mother had to tell her what she did as a child, and needless to say, a lot of the details of zee stories was lost. She couldn't have been older than eight when she thought to zail.

This made the idea of handling a ship and its crew even more nervous sounding. Did she make the right choice taking up the position or responsibility? Or would was it the first step towards horrible deaths of her and her crew? The devil's bright gaze was uncomfortable for her, she felt her doubts may be put out in the open soon.

Then, it was the first officer who just held a bottle of absinthe. It was normal to see absinthe at the docks, yes, but he also smelled of honey, the addictive substance flooded London and some other parts in Neath. It did not give any consolation to the fact that no one around here seemed like decent folks. Now Anna REALLY believed her grandpa was leading a gang of pirates.

A team of Rattus now flooded Delilah the Unsinkable.

" Nice... Meeting you. Is there any other crew I should meet? "

"Greetings, Captain Waters, I presume. "

A new voice. Anna turn around to see a man with top hat. He looked normal, was the first thing she thought.

8341e795f03cc86ad56e1a22daeabad6--vintage-clip-art-vintage-images.jpg

"Nice to meet you. May I ask you name?"

"Richard Dyson, just call me Dyson. Gunnery Officer of the Delilah of Unsinkable. "

The former captain's ship-naming would nearly drive her insane. But to be back on topic, this gentleman had a reassuring air about him, bowing formally, he seemed out of place with the others, but in a comforting way. He just looked like an ordinary folk walking on the cobbled street of London, none would guess he had been on a ship for long.

"Is there anyone else?"

The new captain peeked over the ship. The Rattus worked surprisingly fast, and only the occasional screeching was worrying. The group of them sliding off with a dented board was almost hilarious. If they make sure to replace the original with a good one, that is.

Whether the other crew members were here or not, she'll meet them soon. She'd have a night before she leaves the safe solid land of London... Well, she did hear rumours of the bottom having a hollow cave, but London doesn't really shift as much as islands on the zee. None of the islands would be as easily move as the small vessel she will live in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back