• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Supernatural/Fantasy

Do you like the Supernatural/Fantasy pairing?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Quill

I'm a very new member here, but I don't really like the grouping of Supernatural and Fantasy into the same pot, since I go to seek out fantasy roleplays and keep running into roleplays that have nothing to do with what I see as part of the fantasy genre. Supernatural and Fantasy can be extremely different, even if both involve magic.

To me, to use an overgeneralized definition, fantasy takes place in a fictional (or semi-fictional) historical setting with at least moderate historical limitations (such as not having cars or not knowing about genes), with steampunk being in a part of history that is merged with more tech-y marvels but marvels nonetheless. Game of Thrones, for instance, even if it didn't contain dragons, I would perceive as fantasy because, despite the lack of overt magic, it takes place in an imaginary historical setting. I would consider Harry Potter, meanwhile, Supernatural but not Fantasy because it takes place in contemporary times in a world almost totally identical to ours, except for a wizard subculture with some werewolves and soulless thrown in.

"Supernatural/Fantasy" is like merging Twilight with the Earthsea series. They can be as different to each other as, say, science fiction and modern. When I'm looking for Earthsea-like plots and keep running into yaoi spinoffs of Twilight, it makes me wish they were in separate forums. I can imagine it could be true vice versa as well, for those who favor Supernatural. But again, I'm awfully new to the site, so maybe I'm wrong. What is the community opinion?

Sorry, but I pretty much answer back with short words.

I think you're kind of right, and it's the first time that I had thought about this. Hopefully someone with a higher IQ than I could express himself into this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back