• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

[Solved] Table BBCode and Script Error

First off, turn off the RTE. Second, you forgot to close your [tr] tag. Try that first.

Musician said:
First off, turn off the RTE. Second, you forgot to close your [tr] tag. Try that first.
goodness, thank you. i didn't catch it since the first table worked so well without it, for whatever bad reason.

Yeah, Muse is right about the rich text editor. The first thing I ask anyone whenever they're having BBC problems, is "Which text editor are you using?"

RTE is best for really simple stuff, like the things provided in the toolbar. Anything involving code you have to look up/memorize, use the BTE. The reason RTE can mess any more complicated coding up is that it tries to be helpful and automatically fix any errors your coding might have. But often, it makes the mistake of thinking you don't have a closing tag and adds one, or unnecessarily repeats tags, or does something else to fuck it up.

I've had a lot of issues with it and color tags, for example. In one rp, I made a CS sheet with everything organized nicely into tabs. After each tab tag, I had a color tag to color all of the text inside the tab. I had used the BTE but upon saving it and then going to edit it later (which automatically opens posts in RTE), I'd discover that my color tags had a wild party while I was gone and made a bunch of more color tags. Color tags everywhere, sometimes in front of other tags, sometimes around random sentences, and sometimes with nothing between them.... It was a nightmare.

Ghost said:
Yeah, Muse is right about the rich text editor.
-snip-

I've had a lot of issues with it and color tags, for example. In one rp, I made a CS sheet with everything organized nicely into tabs. After each tab tag, I had a color tag to color all of the text inside the tab. I had used the BTE but upon saving it and then going to edit it later (which automatically opens posts in RTE), I'd discover that my color tags had a wild party while I was gone and made a bunch of more color tags. Color tags everywhere, sometimes in front of other tags, sometimes around random sentences, and sometimes with nothing between them.... It was a nightmare.
i was using raw markup and viewing it in the markup editor by comparison for preview.

personally i think that if bbcode didn't execute properly in instances where end tags were lacking, it wouldn't give some people like you or i trouble figuring out what the issue is, particularly for people who are still new to the whole thing and admittedly think the first thing that goes wrong is something on the site, not oneself.

Often times the RTE has given people a lot of issues, myself included, which is why it is recommended to have it turned off when you are dealing with large or complex sequences. So, it makes sense why Ghost has elaborated on the issue for you. Regardless, I'm glad I was able to identify your issue and help you fix it. If you have further questions, you're more than welcome to inbox me. (^.^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back