• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic SOAR!

One Year Ago (Continued - Part 4)

Toby had finally arrived home from his first week on the job. He had turned the tables on the unsuspecting examiner, and had the recruiter eating his words. Toby had even warranted a pay raise. With that, he was finally satisfied - for the first time in years. The house was paid off, the car was still relatively new, and Toby was able to pay bills on time for once. For once? Something had obviously passed his mind in all of this. Worn out from the week prior (and having to unpack from basic training), Toby plopped down in his sofa, thinking over his entire to-do list from the beginning of the week. Then, he remembered a glimpse - it was connected to his childhood...

8 Years Ago...

Toby walked through the upstairs hallway, on his way to the restroom. He was studying for a Physics final that Spring, and wanted to keep a B in the class. The final exam was worth 30% of his total grade, and he needed at least a D+ to keep his current grade (if not score 10% higher for a B in the class). With a boring afternoon ahead, and nothing better to do, he sighed.

Finishing up in the restroom, Toby washed his hands at one of the two sinks along the Westward wall - white with black marble tiles. The sky-blue ceiling gave the room a calm aesthetic. As he exited the restroom, Toby began to go over review topics in his head - again.

First, starting with M-Theory, then working up to Quantum Mechanics, followed by Relativity, and then Newtonian Mechanics. Still afterward, he glanced over Astrophysics as well. His final would be cumulative, and require him to have some level of familiarity with systems of all sizes and types. He would also have to go over the Fundamental Forces at some point, but not right now - that wasn't giving him any trouble.

But, before he could get past the threshold of his bedroom door, a glimmer caught his eye - something was down the hall. Warily, he tiptoed down the hall until he was in front of the door - a locked door. The room it hid, he had never seen into before. His parents had had all rooms in the house redone a few months ago, but this one was left untouched by the home improvement crew. His dad had re-purposed it - for what, Toby knew not. He looked through the keyhole - the view was blocked by something behind the door.

His parents were out for the evening, so Toby got a bit adventurous. Revealing a paper clip, a metal pick (thin rod), and a bump key. But, he was unable to pick the lock. With nothing left that he could do, he turned to walk away - until the door opened. The door creaked, unnaturally, as if opened from within. The inside of the room was dark, and opened to an empty interior with exposed wood floor. Confused, Toby looked around until he couldn't think of anything else he could do. He looked up.

On the ceiling, there was a bronze latch. Toby jumped up as high as he could, but could barely reach the latch. After three attempts, he had finally managed to touch the latch, but nothing more. Ready to leave the room for the night, Toby turned to walk out when he heard a noise. He turned to see that the ceiling panel connected to the latch dropped - revealing an opening to the attic area. From it, something fell out - a strange device of sorts, from years past.

Looking down to examine it closer, he noticed that it had a small gold-colored strip on one side, flanked by two slightly-raised side panels. On the other side of the palm-sized device, a single button. On the bottom of it, sat a USB Type-C port. At its top, stood an antenna. What was this thing? Before he could enquirer any longer, the ceiling panel closed back up. Seeing that he could go no further, Toby left the room. And just as he crossed the threshold, the door closed with a resounding thud, locking behind him.

Once back at his own bedroom, he sat the strange device down on his desk and went back to studying. The doorbell rang a few minutes later, as his father had just returned. With no other information on what he was holding, or why it was in his possession, Toby left it next to one of his books. Then, it began to make a static noise.

He looked down at it to see that it had a hidden screen. He peered into it, only to see what looked like outside someplace. The environment in the picture was moving - why? Then, he realized - this must be a moving camera feed. But, what would the camera be mounted to? He peered for a bit longer. Then, he saw something that he recognized - a familiar street sign. The source of the visual feed was moving past his block!

In seconds, the feed was moving through an area he didn't quite recognize, though. The field of view had shifted, and now was focused as if it was traveling atop the roofs. He then heard what sounded like footsteps - running, on the roof?! He looked outside, but there was nothing there. He then closed his windows, and sat back down - where was this feed coming from?

Maybe this was from a S.O.A.R. agent? No, monitoring feeds for them would be solely viewable by the government. His parents had no direct connections to S.O.A.R., or any companies working alongside them. With that, he stirred with excitement. What had he done? Was this device even safe to have with him? Before he could answer, his father burst into the room -

Father: "How did you get your hands on that?"

Not knowing what was occurring, Toby innocently tells the truth -

Toby: "I got it from the back room. The door opened for me, so I walked inside. This thing dropped out of the ceiling when I -"

Father: "Never mind that - let me see that."

Swiftly picking up the device, Toby's father spoke into the front side in a whisper. Then, he placed it back down on the desk -

Father: "I obviously wasn't careful enough with where I chose to hide this. This device was only supposed to be accessible via biometric lock system. Yet you somehow managed to get passed the -"

His father then stopped. He looked back at the room for a second, then back at Toby. Stroking his beard, his tone changed -

Father: "Perhaps the lock was setup with both you and I as viable biometric accessors. In which case, you would have access in case of emergencies. But, why would it unlock for you currently? Wait -"

Just as his father finished the thought, a knocking was heard at the door. They two nervously walked down the stairs, through the front parlour, to the front door. Someone was there - and it wasn't Toby's mother. With a reluctant sigh, the father opened the door -

Father: "Don't worry - he's a friend of the family."

In that instant, a strange teenager walked across the threshold.

8: "I'm guessing that you finally decided to let your son know I exist?"

The look on Toby's father's face said at all. 8 was a bit concerned, thinking that the signal he had received was a distress call. However, Toby's father assured him that it was simply a false alarum.

Father: "It was an accident. But, this was bound to occur at some point. He needs to know. That device, in your hands - it's a part of our family's ties to a time before S.O.A.R. and the current government. This person from a time when augmented people were a secrete, and the stuff of legends. Do you know who he is?"

Toby: "Not exactly - "

With that, the strange teen took the device. Examining it for damage, he sighed with relief when he saw no imperfections. The device then floated from his hand, darting upstairs. Toby looked on with amazement. Nervously, the teen answered -

8: "I am one of the last surviving people from that time. I am the 8-Knight."

One Year Ago (Continued - Part 4.5)

Toby remembered what his father had mentioned in passing, years ago - something about a present he had stored in the attic, for him. It was supposed to be something Toby would open properly, with his parents when he was of age - but they aren't there. He still had the house, though. So he trekked up the steep stairs to the second floor hallway. He then let down the ceiling panel, and climbed upward - into the silent darkness. Almost immediately, he stumbled, sending him tumbling into the fiberglass and dust. It was a good thing he was wearing long sleeves (and layers). When he had finally found a place to stand, 10 minutes had passed. With a flashlight in hand, he pointed the beam straight ahead. Then, he searched for the newest item in the attic. From what Toby could recall, that item was the last thing that was moved to the attic - and the only thing he hadn't laid eyes on (that had gone to the attic). So, in theory, he simply needed to locate an item he didn't recognize. However, there was an issue - everything was in boxes. He had to tear into old packages, which could leave a bit of a mess. With that, he began to second-guess his methodology when he stumbled over something else (yet again). This time, something clicked in his head - there should be nothing on that side of the attic with him. He turned to see a strange device on the floor, with exposed circuit contacts and a single button. What could this be? He picked it up to examine it a bit more closely. Maybe it needed to be charged? He searched for a port, and found an old port - USB Type-C. He went down stairs, and plugged it in. Then, he went to sleep for the night. It was Friday, and he wanted to enjoy his first Saturday off-duty in a few hours...

Last edited:
aidan-jpg.369037

Aidan didn't miss Josephine's inability to meet his eyes, her stiff tone of voice. He wasn't surprised after what had just happened with the Captain. He would be lying if he said it didn't bother him not knowing what it was all about, but it wasn't his place to ask... at least, not for now. Looking over the crowd, he brought up his wrist and tapped lightly at the small, flexible rubber-like screen mounted on the top of his forearm. It activated immediately, a display of the SOAR unit logo appearing with several icons for various applications. He tapped one, briefly scanning over it before nodding to himself, deactivating the device as he turned toward Jo.

"Zone 3 -- Halcyon Heights -- has been seeing an uptick in violent crime this past week. It's flagged for an increased patrol presence. I won't lie, it's not a good neighborhood," he remarked flatly. "Short flight from here, we'll land at the southeast block and patrol on foot from there." Aidan hesitated, feeling as if he should say something else, give some kind of encouragement. "You'll do fine," he settled for, somewhat stiffly. With that, his wings unfurled as he took to the sky, giving Jo a moment to catch up before setting off toward their designated zone.

One Year Ago (Continued - Part 5)

It was a grey Friday afternoon, with temperatures hovering around the mid 30s (F). Nominal frost graced the edges of the windows, and a dense fog blanketed the ground. Freezing rain had given way to cold drizzles, and the Sun did not dare show its face after 8 in the morning. Where did the joy of childhood go? Toby sat in disbelief, as 8 stood on his doorstep. Where had the simplicity of his former life gone? Toby was dazed by the sight - the being that stood on his doorstep wasn't supposed to exist. He was supposed to be urban legend. Why was he here?

8: "We have to stop meeting like this -"

Toby: "Have I met you before? I don't believe we've met."

8: "I first met you when you were still in grade school. You had accidentally activated the communicator I left with your family, causing a false alarum. Your mother was out of the house during the time. You had somehow bypassed your father's security measures to gain access to the device - remember?"

Toby's memory was hazy at best. But, he had to act fast - he didn't want to garner any attention from the neighbors, or the authorities -

Toby: "If you did know my father, what was his name? No - better yet, what was his nickname?"

8 leaned in, cuffing his mouth. He then whispered in Toby's ear. Toby, in amazement, jumped back two steps. He knew his father well.

Toby: "I suppose you are a friend of the family."

8: "Firstly, I give my condolences. They will be remembered. Secondly, if you're concerned about the security cameras, please don't. They're running in a 30-second loop. They see nothing."

Toby: "You showed up at just the right time - everyone's away at work. Perhaps I can get you something - "

The two walked back inside.

Modern Day

Toby sat in the carrier, waiting for Adrian to arrive in the hangar.

NDCbS6Z.png
Josephine was more than a little surprised that Aidan hadn't questioned what the Captain had been speaking about; she didn't doubt for a second he would ask her later, or maybe not at all and go directly to Isa himself. She had hoped to keep her reason for being part of SOAR quiet a little longer than half an hour. In all honestly there had been part of her that believed she could have kept the secret just that until her debts had been paid. She listened intently as Aidan went over their assigned duties for the day; she was only slightly disappointed to hear that their patrol duties - something that she thought could be on the easier side of things - was to take place in Zone 3. It was no surprise to her that the man mentioned an up rise of violent crimes to that zone; the mob's under boss from that zone had recently been incarcerated, thanks to her, and she had little doubt it had created a power vacuum of his underlings searching for any scrap of power they could cling to to take his position.

Jo met Aidan gaze slightly as he offered her encouragement she didn't feel she deserved. She could only reply with a curt nod and small smile. She at least had the flight to the zone to steady her nerves. She waited a few seconds after Aidan left her side before initiating her own wings and following suit. She lost herself in the sound of the city, the noise from traffic and people busy at their days. She felt the wind flowing through her hair as she passed between buildings. It was hard to dampen her moods when she flew, she knew she didn't deserve to feel as she did but she absolutely enjoyed ever stolen second of it.

She came to land beside Aidan seconds after he did, wiping the smile from her features as the illumination from her wings flickered out. She had to focus to retract the metal appendages against her shoulders, still new to this particular augmentation, the others had come naturally but then they had been replacing natural parts of her life. She looked around the street corner Aidan had selected to start their patrol on; thankfully everything looked calm for the moment. "Ready when you are."
Safton Safton

Modern Day

Toby sat patiently, waiting for Adrian to arrive. But, minutes passed - silently. With no sign of Adrian arriving fast enough, Toby was beginning to become irritated. He could get reprimanded for lateness (and possible pay docking) if he didn't leave right then. So, with no other options, Toby switched his belongings over to his private hover-jet and prepared for liftoff...

Toby: "Set a course for -"

SKAIS: "I've already received the details, sir. Your communications go through my web-socket layer, which allows me direct access to location data sent via text. Your private vehicle is already set with the coordinates."

Toby: "You could at least try to be a bit less startling, right?"

SKAIS: "I was installed onto your devices for a purpose. If I recall, it was to 'make sure that Tobias doesn't get himself in trouble while on the job'. I am simply fulfilling my duty in this regard. However, I must also reiterate the possible consequences of leaving Adrian behind in this manner - "

Toby: "I get the point. Should I wait for him again?"

SKAIS: "I'll message Adrian myself. The carrier will be reconfigured with a separate set of coordinates, that are close enough to yours to be functionally identical. You'll obviously be landing on one level lower than Adrian, from what I see in previous communications."

Toby: "Sounds right. There shouldn't be any real activity on this excursion from what I can tell. If anyone does show up, they'll get to know -"

SKAIS: "Your electrified copper BB rounds will be charged to 75% electrical capacity. Is there anything else you'd like to tell your AI butler before takeoff?"

Toby: "I didn't create you, so..."

SKAIS: "I was assigned to you by you-know-who, so I am your AI assistant. I am your guardian when he isn't around."

Toby: "Ready when you are."

With that, the hover-jet vertically lifted off from the beginning of the long runway (meant for the carrier). Adrian could have the carrier for himself - whenever he came for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back