Small Beastmen

Now I know that it sounds silly, but it seems to me that their should be a lot of races of Beastmen that would be smaller than humans.  After all, there should be a lot of Lunars who have a small spirit animal, like a fox or a badger, so there should be a lot of Foxmen and Badgermen running around.  Now, the question is, do you treat them as comic relief or as a small but deadly threat to civilization?

Badders and Hoops and Brutorz Oh My!

Gamma World did Beastmen long before the nice folks at Games Workshop enlisted their aid to make Warcraft a nasty, nasty, nasty place.

While you can go for the Rocket Raccoon effect of Beastmen, or the Hengeyokai effect of odd critter people, I prefer to have whole rafts of Beastmen that are integrated in such a fashion that they aren't a threat to the Creation. They're already a part of it.

Yes, that means mole people.  And dog people. And badger people. And rabbit people. And deer people. And raven folk. And even sparrow folks who hide from eagle people and fear the hawk men.  If a Lunar has had a chance to screw it, or a Spirit has taken the time to seduce a mortal or a dozen, then there are Beastmen for it.  Horse people, frog people, turtle people, chameleon people, gophur folks, and others.  But, I use them as just another village. Not neccessarily as legions of adversaries, but folks who have their farms, their herds, their shops, their lives, and most of them aren't looking for trouble. They've got quiet lives, away from others, and don't neccessarily need to interact. In fact, they recognize the beligerance of baselines, and try to avoid them, often getting confused with Spirits, Fae, or Small Gods.  

The Guild often knows about these folks. The Mole People and a few others do trade services.  Frog folks trade services as well as the turtle folk--sometimes there's stuff underwater that you want, and its best to get a native who can hold their breath a long, long time.

I think that they're best used to preserve the wonder of the Creation, as opposed to being considered threats or adversaries.  That they can often be confused by folks who are just passing through, or just settling into an area provides a little mystery.  

And a few of these Beast folks could have their own God Bloods, or at least fairly powerful God Bloods who watch over them. Their Lunar or Spirit parent may be long gone, but their issue could still be there. Giving rise to the idea of a Fox Spirit of a forest, the tales of Tengu or Raven folk.  It's good fodder for story seeds that lead to more than just asswhippings.

Now I know that it sounds silly' date=' but it seems to me that their should be a lot of races of Beastmen that would be smaller than humans.[/quote']
I think they'd be small, but not THAT small. Probably still within the range of human sizes.

-S

I was thinking of them being the same size of the Panda-folk.  Small enough to qualify for the Small Flaw but not small enough to be considered tiny or miniscule.

Anyway, just because they are small wouldn't make them weaklings.  Badger-Folk, for instance, could definately qualify for Inexhaustible and Tough, as could a few others, which would make them superior to their human compatriots.  Heck, if they are decended from a powerful Exalt, Essence 7+, you could have very powerful small Beastmen running around.  And remember, it isn't only the Lunars who have this ability.  If any Exalt has an Essence 5+, they can spawn Beastmen if they screw around with the farm animals.  I wouldn't doubt that a few of the Cynis have spawned entire lines of Beastmen in Creation.

I dont see why Fox or badger people would be any smaller then anyone else.  I mean Spider people and snake people are normal sized.

See, that's what I love about this site; you can go to any thread and instantly pick up a story idea.

Cheers peeps!

~FC.

In the East there are giant wolf spiders the size of horses.  I doubt that a Black Widow Beastman would be the size of a normal human, just as I doubt that an Elephant Beastman would be the size of a normal human.

Gamma Wold did Beastmen long before the nice folks at Games Workshop enlisted their aid to make Warcraft a nasty' date=' nasty, nasty place. [/quote']
I'm thinking there's a mistake in this line.

You know something I don't, Jakk?

Indeed. Stoopid fingers...

I did go back and hit up the Wold though. I will let my other typo stand as a testament to my "Typing Too Damn Fast Prana"

Later, I'll be showing off my Dyslexic Heart Refrain...

Indeed. Stoopid fingers...

I did go back and hit up the Wold though. I will let my other typo stand as a testament to my "Typing Too Damn Fast Prana"

Later, I'll be showing off my Dyslexic Heart Refrain...

*makes a note to send Jakk mittens so he cant type at all as opposed to how badly hes been doing lately*

I blame Kaye.  Spending a bit of time with the IM to Beantown, and traveling deep into the night and early in the morning on the weekends.

No sleep, and plenty of sex makes Jakk type very badly...but with great verve and a song in his heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back