• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Shooting for the Stars and More (Rusty of Shackleford and Night sky)

Rusty of Shackleford

Ten Thousand Club
It was an average day for Joseph. He woke up, got dressed, ate his breakfast, the whole nine yards. He left his home, his mother saying goodbye as he left. He walked down the street, his hands in his blazer's pockets. He hated wearing a uniform, but he couldn't really help it. It's not like he wanted to get sent to detention anymore than he already did. He was no Boy Scout, and for good reason. He was always getting into fights he never started. But he sure as Hell finished them. He almost laughed at how cliche he seemed. The quiet, brooding tall guy with daddy issues who always got into fights. He felt like a seinin manga series protagonist, but he didn't really care. It was just who he was.

He walked down the halls, not paying attention to what he was doing as he bumped into a girl, turning to face her and ready for a fight. It took him a second to realize it wasn't a provocation, saying, "Oh. Sorry. Did see you there." He wasn't carrying any books, so he just kept moving, almost ignoring the girl.

NightSky NightSky

"Are you even listening Kei?" Keiko's mother folded her arms and squinted her eyes at her daughter. Obviously not impressed by the volume of music spilling from her headphones.
"Yeah, yeah." Keiko waved her hand lazily over her shoulder as she put her lunch into her backpack. Honestly, Keiko had no idea what just came out of her mother's mouth but it probably wasn't anything new. Something along the lines of; practice your ballet at dance club or don't skip anymore lessons or do your homework. All of which Keiko had no intention of obeying, but her mother didn't need to know that.

As soon as she left the house Keiko's feet automatically began stepping in time with the beats in the music, an obvious smile painted on her mouth. Before she knew it Keiko turned the corner, bringing her onto the school grounds. It looked as sleek and professional as it always did. Much the opposite to her uniform. Comfort was her main concern, closely followed by a hint of rebellion. Her skirt was the only thing left as it should be. She had tied an oversized black hoodie tied around her waist, her top button was undone behind her loosely tied bow, and she wore black trainers. Accompanied by with what should be a pair of knee high socks. One sock had slipped down to her ankle during her little morning dance and she had yet to notice. It was only a matter of time before a teacher called her out. Her response however would be to tighten her bow and throw them a smile.

Practically skipping the final couple steps Keiko slipped into the school through the large main doors. The school was just starting to fill up, the low buzz of students greeting each other after the summer could be heard from every angle. Keiko kept her headphones on until she cleared the first flight of stairs where her headphones were slipped down to sit around her neck. The heavy beats still pouring out from them. She had made it up the stairs without tripping which she took as a good sign for the day. Unfortunately she thought too quickly and as she turned the corner she collided headfirst into a much taller student, which made her consciously aware of her 5'5 figure. Her crimson eyes widened in shock as she processed what had just happened. There was a brief moment of silence as Keiko caught a flicker of emotion in the boy's eyes, but she couldn't decipher it. She was so focused on his sky blue eyes she missed what he had said and lifted her hand to run through her hair in embarrassment.

"I am so, so sorry! I'm really clumsy and-" Before she could finish the boy had continued walking past her, the brush of air toying with her hair. Swiftly she turned to watch him leave, her head tilted to the side in wonder. Before she could form anymore words the bell screeched symbolising the start of lessons. She jogged down the opposite direction of the corridor and skidded into her first lesson; if this one went badly she would be sure to skip the next.

Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford

Joseph sighed, sitting at the back of the class as usual. He was the only one in the class, and he took some time to sleep. Eventually, he looked up, seeing that no one was there yet. The teacher was there, but he only required that they come to class and show they were there before they could just leave and do whatever. After a quick glance, Joseph left, going to the music room alone.

He sat down at the keyboard, setting it to the requirements of the song he was going to play. It was "For River," from the game "To the Moon," and was one of his personal favorites. He tested the keys, sighing as he began to play the song, the keyboard being just loud enough to be heard outside the door. He didn't even look at the keys, having memorized them by heart. He lost himself in the song, finding solace in the peace it brought him.

NightSky NightSky

Keiko stared out of the classroom window, the clouds floated leisurely in the sky. Barely audibly she sighed her breath lightly steaming the glass. She was bored; incredibly so. The low buzz of the teachers voice was lulling her to sleep. Slowly Keiko's eyes drifted to the clock she had only been here sixteen minutes and was ready to throw herself out of the window. However, she decided to take the slightly safer option of
abruptly
standing up and kicking her chair back. There were a few startled gasps from her classmates but the majority were familiar with Keiko's actions. The teacher cleared his throat and directed his attention to the troublesome student.

"Keiko. I know you would rather be elsewhere but this is a new school year, let's have a new start and try to keep your attendance levels up." He waited patiently for her response. Keiko paused for a moment and glanced up at the teacher and then to the door. She rolled her eyes once before swinging her bag onto her back - almost hitting an innocent student's head.

"Maybe tomorrow." Keiko replied flatly as she weaved in and out of the tables to reach the door. Her hand ghosted over the door handle as she paused to reconsider her actions. It only lasted a second or two before the door was flung open and Keiko was disappearing down the corridor.

She was halfway to the dance studio when she heard the faint sound of music drifting out from one of the rooms. Instead of heading out of the building she spun to walk further down the hall, the soft notes calling further down the empty corridor. Now closer she realised the music was from a piano inside the music room. Holding her breath she peered into the room with wide crimson eyes. There was a tall student inside but she couldn't see clearly through the slightly misted glass to know exactly who it was. Curiosity tugging her she leaned forward to get a closer look, although she hadn't realised the door was slightly open and as she leant on the door it flew open causing Keiko to lose her balance. Blinded by shock Keiko didn't have enough time to react and ended up stumbling into the room and straight into the drum kit. It was almost comical how cliché her fall was but she was extremely embarrassed nonetheless.

"Oh no no no, I am so sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt I was just passing by and I heard your beautiful music and-" The constant flow of words tumbled so quickly out of Keiko's mouth she ended up mumbling incoherently as she tried to untangle her hair from the cymbals.

Joseph suddenly heard a crash, his head snapping in the direction of it as he saw the same girl he bumped into earlier on the ground, having fallen into the drum set. He had jumped a bit from the noise, saying, "I-I wasn't... doing anything. I was uh...uh..." He was quite embarrassed by her seeing him play. Only the music club and his mother knew about him playing the piano, and he didn't like people knowing about it. He got up, helping her up as he said, "It's okay. I'm Joseph. Who are you?" He extended his hand, helping her up as he blushed. He wasn't used to skin on skin contact aside from punching. He had never really talked to girls before, aside from his mother, of course. He couldn't help but...no. He wasn't attracted to her or anything. He quickly turned away, not really sure what he was feeling. He felt funny in his stomach, and his face was beet red as he said, "I'm going back to uh...playing..." He said the last part quietly, hoping she would hear it as something else. He looked back at her before quickly turning away as he sat down at the piano to start playing again.
NightSky NightSky

Keiko, still lost in her muttering, finally silenced herself as the taller student spoke. Her hands fell lifelessly from her now tousled hair as she watched him stand up. He looked significantly familiar to her, she tilted her head slightly trying to search through her thoughts. It was his crystal blue eyes that struck a recent memory. Oh. Oh. He was the boy she managed to run straight into that morning. Keiko readied herself for him to unleash his anger, but he didn't. Instead he extended a hand towards her to help her up. Timidly she slid her hand into his and let him lift her small frame up and safely back onto her feet. Silently she blinked a few times in response to his introduction; taking a while to find her voice.

"Keiko. Is my name. Yes, I'm Keiko but you can call me Kei." She threaded a hand through her hair offering him a small lopsided smile to cover her initial stumble. This time he didn't ignore her or make a quick exit and Keiko managed to get a better look at him, other than those mesmerising eyes. A few strands of dark hair were sticking up and Kei had to suppress an urge to flatten them out. Unlike the hoodie around her waist he was wearing one under his blazer, she assumed like herself he adjusted his uniform for his own comfort. Keiko's eyes drifted to the hand that had helped her up, it was painted with a few old scratches and cuts. From his elegant piano playing she struggled to comprehend where he would've got them from. Before she could question it he turned away similar to that morning, speaking quietly as he did so. It didn't sound threatening though so she stayed stood a few feet away from him and the piano. He seemed slightly flustered, although Keiko couldn't pinpoint why. She was the one that had fell into the drum kit, her cheeks were now only lightly dusted pink from embarrassment or that's what she told herself.

The notes from the piano filled her ears once more, now louder and clearer than before. She closed her eyes briefly, the sound calming her almost instantly. After a moment she walked closer to the piano to watch Joseph play, she stood so she could only see his side profile although the concentration was still entirely visible. Once again her attention was drawn to a fading bruise along the knuckles on his other hand.

"Tell me, how could someone who plays piano so beautifully have such injured hands?" Her voice was soft, cautious of the territory she could be approaching. But physically she was leaning on the wall; arms crossed over her chest. Eyes watching him closely to gauge his reaction.

Joseph stopped playing, saying, "A lot of people have something to prove. So I oblige." His hands were covered in scratches from the fights he got into, and he didn't like to talk about it. He didn't look at her, afraid he would blush again. She was..pretty. Very pretty. She was a lot shorter than him, but she was...he couldn't explain it. He went back to playing, losing himself in the notes as he sometimes glanced over at her, his face still red. He played dthe same song from earlier, the notes coming out just right, sometimes even better now that she was around. He didn't even notice it but she had an effect on him. It seemed to make him play better, and he couldn't even see it. After a while, he forgot about her, and lost himself to the music.
NightSky NightSky

"Hm." Keiko made a small sound of acknowledgement and decided not to push him, at this current time anyway. There was much more under his quiet exterior and she couldn't help but feel intrigued to know more. This time though, she knew it would be better to keep that curiosity buried. Last time she entertained it she fell into a drum kit and it left her with a couple scratches on her legs and the beginnings of a large bruise on her left arm. The conversation died down again and faded into the music. Keiko stilled as she listened to the notes encircling around her body giving her a tinkling urge to dance, but not her typical stiff ballet. A more contemporary and emotional form of dance. The slightly open window let the wind toy with her hair and brought her to open her eyes, casting her sight to the clear space in the centre of the music room. It was much smaller than the dance studio but it was inviting enough.

Taking one last glance at Joseph who was now fully emerged in his music she slowly slipped off her bag to leave it on the floor and kicked off her shoes before walking to the centre of the room. Her eyes once more closed to heighten her hearing, absorbing the music until she could recite it mentally. Naturally, she began to extend her arms above her and let her feet carry her into a simplistic but fluid dance sequence. Her body elegantly floating around the room, her movements fading into each other like water in a river. The combination of her movement and the music felt so connected, as if they were made to go together. Completely immersed in the dance she forgot the surroundings existed as she spun countlessly across the room trained and controlled, avoiding the instruments as she did so. Leading her back to the centre of the room where she held her finishing position. Kneeling on the floor with both hand clutched together over her chest, moving up and down quickly as she slowed her breathing. The music had stopped leaving her to lift her head to the piano, her vision slightly blurred but she smiled genuinely through it.

"That was amazing, I haven't been so inspired in a long time." Her voice so quiet almost a whisper as she pushed up off of the floor. Kei couldn't see if Joseph had noticed her but she tucked a hair behind her ear and bowed in gratitude. "Thank you," there was a brief pause as she straightened her back. "for sharing your music with me."

Joseph didn't even notice her until she spoke up, jumping again as he said, "I uh... you're welcome, I guess." He looked away, thinking she looked pretty cute. He was so confused about her. He didn't know her, but she was so... perfect for him. He didn't even know this, and he just thought something else was happening. He got up, saying, "I uh...want to...do this... again...sometime?" His face was red again, and he held his hand out to help her up. He straightened his hair some, looking away as he said, "I gotta get to class. Uh...see you later, I guess." He waved goodbye, heading to science class as he tried to understand what he was feeling.
NightSky NightSky

Keiko's eyes crinkled and a single dimple appeared in her right cheek as she smiled brightly when he asked to meet up again. She nodded her head, her black hair bouncing as she did so. "I would love to." Kei agreed, the smile ever present and glistening. Upon looking closer at Joseph she noticed a faint red splash across his cheeks as he readjusted his hair. It was undeniably adorable and Kei had to hide a giggle in a cough behind her hand. His gaze appeared distant as he voiced his goodbye, waving coolly as he did so. In return Kei brought a hand to her forehead holding two fingers and saluted in his direction. "Catch you later Joseph." Her light voiced echoed faintly off the walls in the music room. A couple seconds passed as she watched the door he just left from, the only thing that brought her back down to Earth was the ache spreading across her cheeks from smiling too much.

"Whoops." A soft giggle escaped her lips as she rubbed her cheeks softly to try a dull down the ache. She hadn't enjoyed someone's company like Joseph, although quiet he was caring and mysterious and all in all it was a refreshing experience. Excited at the prospect of meeting him again Kei spun around and skipped back over to her bag. She slipped her worn out trainers on and swung her bag on her back before leaving the music room. By the time she made it upstairs to her next lesson everyone was already seated and the teacher had begun talking about different chemicals or something in that subject area. Her eyes scanned the room where she saw a couple friends from dance sat at a table. She was close to dragging a stool to their table to sit with them which would also go against the teacher's wishes before noticing a becoming familiar figure.

Unfazed by the staring of her classmates and also the teacher she skidded across the floor in the classroom to Joseph's table in the back corner of the room. "This seat taken?" She offered a knowing smile gesturing to the empty stool next to Joseph's, her eyes glistening hopefully in the sunlight from the window.

Joseph laid his head on the table when he sat down alone, almost falling asleep. He was too busy thinking about Kei to pay attention to what everyone was doing. He heard someone come in, not even hearing them approach he was thinking so hard. His head shot up when he heard that familiar voice, blushing as he said, "I uh...sure. Go ahead." He hid his face, pulling the stool out for her like a true gentleman. He really, really liked her. He just refused to accept it. He sighed, wishing that he could just go home so he could straighten himself out.
(Sorry if this is short. I'm not having a good day.)
NightSky NightSky

"Thanks." Kei's smile widened as Joseph pulled out the stool. She sat on it cross legged; letting her bag fall to the floor with a soft thud. The teacher continued on, if not a little shocked Keiko had even showed up to the lesson - a very rare occurrence.

With her elbow propped up on the table Kei rested her right cheek in her palm. Looking directly at Joseph, she just couldn't figure him out. Possibly to anyone else it would appear she was staring but she was just so intrigued she couldn't find it in her to pull her eyes away. For a moment she wondered if he hid his face from her because he didn't like her but the caution behind his words and his gestures spoke otherwise. "I'm sorry I disturbed your nap," She spoke reasonably quietly, voice slightly muffled by her hand. "you can use my hoodie as a pillow. Don't get me wrong tables are extremely comfortable but they always leave imprints in my cheeks." Kei was hopeful she could hold up the mood, science wasn't really one of her favourite subjects (none of her subjects were for that matter) but she figured could survive them if Joseph was there.

He shrugged, saying, "It's okay. I'll survive." He had the slightest hint of a smile on his face, taking the hoodie as he said, "Thanks." He laid his head down again, his face returning to it's normal color as he was much more comfortable around her. He didn't really like science either, but he put enough effort into it to pass. He looked over at Kei, saying, "Tell me what the Sensei says, okay? I'm going back to sleep." And with that, he passed right out.
NightSky NightSky

Keiko didn't even have a chance to reply before Joseph had drifted back into a comfortable nap, she shook her head in amusement and decided to leave him be. Turning to her bag she pulled out a notepad and red coloured pen, before taking down some notes from the class. Humming softly to herself as she did so. Her notes were sparse, only referring to every other point the teacher made throughout the course of the lesson. There was the general lack of interest but she was also heavily distracted by the now peacefully sleeping Joseph; stealing a glance in his direction every so often.

"Following on from the lesson I would like you to research further into different subjects of matter in space for homework." The teacher called over the sound of students packing their bags to leave as he rubbed off the lesson's notes from the board. Keiko slid her notebook back into her bag with a over-exaggerated sigh before turning to Joseph - who had managed to sleep through the entire lesson. "Hey Joseph," She murmured softly. With no reply she poked her red pen to his cheek and dragged her hand down, leaving a single red ink line down his cheek. "wakey wakey." Kei spoke louder amusement laced in her voice. "The lesson is over and you're really close to dribbling on my favourite hoodie."

Joseph was fast asleep. He was having a dream about his father, a kind of dream he did not like at all. He hated his father, and he would die happily if he could find that man and beat his face in. He jumped awake, nodding as he said, "Sorry. What do we have to do?" He got up, waiting for her to walk to heir next class. He scratched the back of his head, yawning and stretching as well. He was tired, and was glad the next few classes were easy.
NightSky NightSky

Kei had to cover her mouth in order to hide her amusement as Joseph sat up abruptly as if he had not slept contently throughout the lesson. His dark hair was slightly ruffled and his eyes still had a hint of sleep hidden in them. Keiko shook her head with a loose smile hanging on her mouth; if only she could easily sleep through a lesson she would have a much higher attendance rate. Following Joseph, Kei pushed her stool back before standing up and swinging her backpack onto her back.

"We got some homework about researching space stuff, I think." Lifting her hand Kei brushed a few stray strands of hair out of her face, looking upwards as if physically searching her brain for the answer. "Not that it matters though - I'm not doing it." Kei replied with a light carefree tone, waving to their teacher before leaving the classroom. When they reached the corridor rather than walking next to Joseph like a smart student Kei decided to turn around and walk backwards in front of Joseph to face him. Her hands clasped together behind her back Kei made a small hum as if thinking about something in depth. "Have we always been in the same science class?" She wondered aloud, her hair swaying side to side and she walked backwards through the hall.

Joseph nodded, saying, "I'm doing it. I just need to pass it." He walked with his hands in his pockets, sighing as she walked in front of him. "I'm not sure. Probably. I just didn't notice you, most likely." He went to his next class, saying, "So, for our next meeting, how does after school sound? The rest of the music club is out, so we'll have some time."
NightSky NightSky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back