Seven Storms Escape Prana

Forn Clakes

ECR Refugee
A question.  With this Charm (Exalted: Player's Guide, p.253) it states that while performing this Charm, the martial artistcan take no other action.

Yet as an Simple, Instant Charm, surely it can be Comboed?

Any ideas?

~FC.

A question.  With this Charm (Exalted: Player's Guide, p.253) it states that while performing this Charm, the martial artistcan take no other action.
Yet as an Simple, Instant Charm, surely it can be Comboed?

Any ideas?

~FC.
These statements are compatible.

Simple Charms are your action for the turn.  They are what you are doing, barring a Combo (unless you are a DB, in which case you can do your Reflexive stuff).

In a Combo, you would take this as your simple action, and receive no other actual actions.  You WOULD receive any other dicepools your Comboed Charms gave you (e.g. a counterattack).

Which makes you wonder why they'd bother including that clause: if a Simple charm uses your 'action' for the turn, there's no point saying that no other actions are allowed. There are circumstances in which it would be relevant, for example someone using Charcoal March of Spiders Form, but well I don't trust Exalted's charm writers to have thought things through to that extent.

Additionally, reflexive actions are actions. Confusingly, they're also defined as "rolls that are not part of their characters' actions" (Core: 92).

--

Specific charm text always overrides general rules, except where we decide the charm's author was obviously wrong. So assuming they knew what they were talking about, that clause can be seen as explicitly forbidding the use of reflexive actions in any combo including the charm. So... you could combo it with a multiple action charm, maybe?

I'm not going to reach a firm conclusion on this. All the martial arts in the Players Guide seem uniquely terrible to me. Well, not uniquely. The Lunars charms were about as confused and broken.

BurningPalm said:
Which makes you wonder why they'd bother including that clause: if a Simple charm uses your 'action' for the turn, there's no point saying that no other actions are allowed. There are circumstances in which it would be relevant, for example someone using Charcoal March of Spiders Form, but well I don't trust Exalted's charm writers to have thought things through to that extent.
Additionally, reflexive actions are actions. Confusingly, they're also defined as "rolls that are not part of their characters' actions" (Core: 92).

--

Specific charm text always overrides general rules, except where we decide the charm's author was obviously wrong. So assuming they knew what they were talking about, that clause can be seen as explicitly forbidding the use of reflexive actions in any combo including the charm. So... you could combo it with a multiple action charm, maybe?

I'm not going to reach a firm conclusion on this. All the martial arts in the Players Guide seem uniquely terrible to me. Well, not uniquely. The Lunars charms were about as confused and broken.
I think that, like a lot of players, you are really overthinking the situation.

Just treat it as some text that is there, which REINFORCES the general rule.

memesis said:
I think that, like a lot of players, you are really overthinking the situation.
Properly speaking, I am, like a lot of people who have been asked for a rules interpretation, overthinking the situation.

BurningPalm said:
Properly speaking, I am, like a lot of people who have been asked for a rules interpretation, overthinking the situation.
I believe this is the job of a ST.  Overthikning the situation to keep your players from whining about a rule variation.

I believe this is the job of a ST.  Overthikning the situation to keep your players from whining about a rule variation.
Which is why I've asked just in case a player's character deceides to include it in a combo.

~FC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back