• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

RPN Roleplay turned online novel?! Beta readers needed!

London Fog

A ghost of sorts.

HELP WANTED

Beta readers for a collaborative writing project with roots in the RPN community.

~~~

"Wait, what?"

That's right! The superhero story Hearts on the Scale was once an RPN roleplay known as The Wolf You Feed. Joker, the founder of the "Blackburn Project", had been writing and roleplaying his brainchild for years before the current team assembled on RPN. We eventually decided that Blackburn could be something bigger than a roleplay if we made it available to a wider audience, and so The Wolf You Feed became Hearts on the Scale, and a comically mismatched band of writers and roleplayers became the Blackburn Team.

"What is all this? Fanfiction?"

Hearts on the Scale follows the story of Jessica, an amnesiac lost in the heart of the 2030 metropolis of Blackburn. In seeking help, she discovers the Mavericks, a band of superheroes crippled by the loss of their leader and the reign of a terrorist by the name of Eris. While Jessica's story remains pivotal, Hearts on a Scale features a large cast of complex characters.

"Thanks, but who are you and what are you doing in my living room?"

Joker is the mind behind Blackburn, but we as a team are our own slightly smaller cast of complex characters. The one in the Rand Paul shirt is Joker, the bearded man on the motorcycle is Moss, the one writing the novel-length slashfic is Hammy, the wisecracking man with the accent is Spartan, and I'm London. We work over Google docs, and each of us write our own characters within the story. Got beef with a particular character? We'll chew out their writer for you.

"You only answered half my question."

We're looking for some beta readers to give us some feedback on our freshly-finished first book (yep, there'll be more books. #deal). Once we've polished per the recommendations of our betas, we'll be posting it on fictionpress and our very own blog. We're seeking word-happy individuals whose hobbies include reading superhero stories, giving good feedback, and not sharing or reposting our drafts without our permission. Sound like you?

"Who let you in here?"

The dog.

"I don't have a dog."

Well, now you do. Anyway, we should be going. Your neighbors called the cops on us, and our legal records are already pretty packed. Listen, if you're interested, give us a call and we'll send you our manuscript via carrier pigeon. I mean PDF file sent via RPN messenger or email. I mean carrier pigeon. We'll even throw in tickets to an exclusive feedback party hosted by myself and Joker. See you soon!

~~~

Hah, I did a funny. But in all seriousness, please do post below if you're interested in reading and critiquing our work. If you have any questions, by all means, ask them, and I should be able to help you. If you're willing to help us, I'll send you a PDF of the story an invite to a group discussion so we can talk things through, and also a carrier pigeon, maybe.

xoxo Love and kisses,

-London and the Blackburn Team.

Wowzers. The story seems interesting.

But here is my question, what kind of criticism and feedback you guys are expecting to get? To be exact, which aspects?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dreamtique said:
Wowzers. The story seems interesting.
But here is my question, what kind of criticism and feedback you guys are expecting to get? To be exact, which aspects?
All'a it! Any and all feedback. Characters, setting, pace, plot, grammar, ease of read, the works. If you are willing to read it and offer your thoughts on what works and what doesn't, we're gonna listen.

Dreamtique said:
Ok, I can try to read it, it wouldn't hurt.
To help and read at the same time, I don't see why not.
Cool, I'll send you the PDF when I can.

I'd be interested in reading and critiquing this, but be warned that I'm a very inexperienced writer. What kind of audience do you want to read this book?

Ballerina said:
I'd be interested in reading and critiquing this, but be warned that I'm a very inexperienced writer. What kind of audience do you want to read this book?
Well I'm mostly considered with how people read it, Moss is handling most of the technical stuff. I don't have a specific audience in mind really - I want anyone who likes it to read it.

Last edited by a moderator:
J0ker said:
Well I'm mostly considered with how people read it, Moss is handling most of the technical stuff. I don't have a specific audience in mind really - I want anyone who likes it to read it.
In that case, may I read it?

Hi. I am an animation student, with a big focus on storytelling. If you want, I would love to read your story, it sounds really interesting. :) How long is it?

Hiddencard said:
Hi. I am an animation student, with a big focus on storytelling. If you want, I would love to read your story, it sounds really interesting. :) How long is it?
Admittedly it's on the very short end of a novel, clocking in at ~48k words.

I'm up for it, it might be refreshing to see what this kind of project can bring to the table, i'm always willing to look for characters that burst with an unbalanced psichological topography, lore excites me and dicovering a new world is always amazing; if it works for you, by all means, hook me up.

I'm bored so I'm willing to read it. Dream of writing my own book so I could critique a but for you :)

sounds like a hell of a interesting book

Bobisdead123 said:
I'm bored so I'm willing to read it. Dream of writing my own book so I could critique a but for you :)
sounds like a hell of a interesting book
Alright, send me a PM of your email please.

Unless I get a lack of reviews in a few weeks, this thread is closed. Thanks to everyone willing to help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back