Literature Good books?

Brainess

Brain(l)ess
Idk if this is supposed to be here (or if my prefix even correct .-.) But I need all of your help!! In my reading, my teacher said I need to read a FORMAL novel ... and I do not know anything besides the The Vampire Diaries series and the The Selection trilogy (is this even formal). Sooo please give me some lisstt of books I can read THAT IS FORMAL.

BUT! Please no lovey dovey thing, no explicit content (...) and if possible, sci-fi or fantasy stories :>> But other genres are also welcome!!

Grey said:
Formal? As in part of the literary canon?
No?? I mean in formal writing. Some novels are written in informal writing.

Edit: The Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith is an example.

Oh, formal English. Right. Hm.

An entire novel in formal English, which is neither a romance nor explicit...

Tricky. Will need to ponder it - all the examples that spring to mind are violent or explicit in some measure, and few of them sci-fi or fantasy.

Fahrenheit 451, maybe?

Grey said:
Oh, formal English. Right. Hm.
An entire novel in formal English, which is neither a romance nor explicit...

Tricky. Will need to ponder it - all the examples that spring to mind are violent or explicit in some measure, and few of them sci-fi or fantasy.

Fahrenheit 451, maybe?
LOLOLOL. Ooohh interesting, I'll look that up ;D Thanks btw

How about Lord Of The Flies? Not sure if that's what you mean by formal though... you can also try Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry

KillGill said:
How about Lord Of The Flies? Not sure if that's what you mean by formal though... you can also try Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry
I meant Formal writing. And okay, I will look that up ;D

As Grey said, that's a bit tricky, but I'm assuming you really are fifteen? If so, here are a few that may fall into that category and be suitable: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, The Giver by Lois Lowry, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, or The Call of the Wild by Jack London?

In truth, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by formal literature, aside from informal vs. formal language. Also, some of these books may be a bit more explicit than what you're looking for, but these were some of the books I read for class or leisure when I was about fifteen. (:

Good luck!

I am 90% the 'formal' component refers to literature which cleaves to the formal structural rules of English, rather than someone having fun with the language.

The Curious Incident... was a good call, Mordecai - forgot that one, but I think it does play with things a bit here and there, especially run-on sentences.

To Kill a Mockingbird was so obvious! Phonetic dialogue aside. ...It did have instances of phonetic dialogue, no? Been years.

Ah, got it! Thanks for your insight (as always), Grey!

It's been a long time since I've read any of those books, so, my memory is a bit hazy.

I keep wanting to suggest something by either Murakami, because the translations tend to be quite formal, but that's too much for a teenager.

Mordecai said:
As Grey said, that's a bit tricky, but I'm assuming you really are fifteen? If so, here are a few that may fall into that category and be suitable: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, The Giver by Lois Lowry, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, or The Call of the Wild by Jack London?
In truth, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by formal literature, aside from informal vs. formal language. Also, some of these books may be a bit more explicit than what you're looking for, but these were some of the books I read for class or leisure when I was about fifteen. (:

Good luck!
Thank you!! A friend of mine also told me to read To Kill a Mockingbird and now that you also said it, I am going to definitely read it!

And nope, I'm not 15 lolol

Edit: If you went to my profile, that's not my true age. lol

[QUOTE="Immortal Pizza]Thank you!! A friend of mine also told me to read To Kill a Mockingbird and now that you also said it, I am going to definitely read it!

[/QUOTE]
I likewise highly recommend To Kill a Mockingbird. It's a wonderful book. Fahrenheit 451 is also a good recommendation. If you're looking for Classics that seem to be along the lines of your interest, you could start with the grandfather of vampire books and read Dracula. It may not be as accessible as the other books mentioned, but it isn't too difficult to manage. The same goes with Frankenstein which is about a third of the size of Dracula.

If you want enjoyable Classics that are a little easier to read then I would add The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Treasure Island.

[QUOTE="The Narrator]I likewise highly recommend To Kill a Mockingbird. It's a wonderful book. Fahrenheit 451 is also a good recommendation. If you're looking for Classics that seem to be along the lines of your interest, you could start with the grandfather of vampire books and read Dracula. It may not be as accessible as the other books mentioned, but it isn't too difficult to manage. The same goes with Frankenstein which is about a third of the size of Dracula.
If you want enjoyable Classics that are a little easier to read then I would add The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Treasure Island.

[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much!!

While I loved Jurassic Park (the novel), I'm not sure if it's formal though. But it's still a great book.

J.R.R. Tolkiens works, such as The Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, The Hobbit (not sure about this one though), and LoTR might also be good too.

EDIT : For Jurassic Park, two scenes (spoiler alert I guess ?) have people holding their own intestines while getting eaten alive, but that's all I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the second time today, I highly recommend "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak! It's a historical fiction novel. c:

Dang, I was going to tell you to read any Ellen Hopkins books, but all her books is written in poetic form. They are so good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back