Rolepalying Super-Brilliance

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
I see myself as a fairly intelligent guy. I read complex books and I'm pretty sure I understand them. But in a Auto game I'm about to start my character is  philosopher/scientist with an intelligence of 6. Any advice on how to roleplay that?

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :shock:

So can I, I have to work at not acting that way I often fail

It will also take some help from the ST to stop you and say, "your charater would know this..." and give you the info you need before you have the character do something stupid.  

You also need to ask the ST if there is anything else your charater should know, since ST's can lose track of things like.

uteck said:
It will also take some help from the ST to stop you and say, "your charater would know this..." and give you the info you need before you have the character do something stupid.  
You also need to ask the ST if there is anything else your charater should know, since ST's can lose track of things like.
Agreed.

~FC.

He would be a good example of my character. My description to the ST was something like this.

The Scholar of Flowing Brilliance sees himself as the smartest guy in his corner of Autochthon with thoughts so profound that only the Divine Ministers could appreciate them. He has a little bit of an ego.

He thinks "outside the box" and he has been accused of heresy by a few soulsteel caste that weren't quite up to his intellect. Nothing ever sticks because he gets results. Now he has a leading roll in finding a cure to the sickness that has begun to spread throughout Yugash after Auto reentered Creation.

I think most people are beyond capable of playing higher or lower than they are without resulting to adding personality quirks such as arrogant or outrageously stupid (ie, not eating with utensils, not knowing which end of a sword to hold, etc.).

Real world mortals with amazing amounts of brains tend to be somewhat deficient in other areas. A lot of highly intelligent people tend toward paranoid schizophrenia, while a lot of highly creative and artistic people tend toward mood disorders.

Quite a few very brilliant people are also extremely introverted, and some even autistic.

I'm not sure that these shortcomings would necessarily apply to the heroic Exalted, especially artifically created ones, but it might be good to keep in mind that even if someone's a super genius, it doesn't mean that they're necessarily capable of funtioning as a normal person.

-S

...and then there's Dolph Lundgren, who not only has a 180 IQ and advanced degrees in science, but is a 6' 5" adonis, international karate champion, movie star, and millionaire.

I guess there's an exception to every rule ;)

-S

There are different kinds of intelligence, as well. Being able to write revolutionary thesis on medicine, physics or philosophy doesn't stop you accidentally wandering onto some train tracks. That's what the Common Sense merit is for.

Several Exceptions Still, Niles Bohr the world renowned atomic physicist and contemporary of Einstein was a Olympic track medalist, Socrates was a renowned wrestler, and Da Vinci was not only brilliant but could bend iron horseshoes straight with his bare hands.

But Einstein was autistic and had a maid live with him to keep him from walking out of his house without his pants on.

But Einstein was autistic and had a maid live with him to keep him from walking out of his house without his pants on.
The scholar wears robes.

And he is physically, well, a badass. He's has up to the form charm in Violet Bier of Sorrows Style and has the stats to kick some ass.

Being a newbie to actually playing exalted I'm not sure on this styles power. Reading through the charms they seemed to fit his character but I'm not sure how the style plays out in game.

VBoS becomes more powerful than it already is with characters with high Attributes, like Alchemicals and Lunars... An Essence 5 Lunar with maxed stats, DBT and all VBoS Charms can have accuracy and parry pool of something around 40s, if I remember correctly.

Hmm... now I wonder how much an Alchemical would get...

Let's say Essence 5 Starmetal Sam has Dex 6 with Legendary Dexterity merit, Sustained Augmentation of Dexterity (so effectively Dex 7,) Martial Arts 5, a MA specialty at something +3, Perfected Kata Bracers or something (+3 to MA pool... if I remember correctly,) Moonsilver Reaver Daiklave (that's the one with +4 acc, right? I keep confusing Reaver and Reaper,) and Blade of Battle Maiden. For 24 motes and 2 Willpower (29 if you decide to use the anima power too,) he gets accuracy pool of 36 (or 39) for the scene, not sure about parry pool. His Init is probably something around 30, too. Stick some tentacles to this guy and he now has clinch pool of something 40... Not that these pools mean anything against perfect effects.

Anyway, have fun with this character.

Also: keep in mind that Intelligence as a stat refers to raw cognitive processing power.  Not, y'know, wisdom or any of that jazz.

Well, it can refer to wisdom and other aspects of mental capacity. The attributes are rather broad in Exalted.

I was under the impression that wits would apply more for wisdom/common sense and int was just raw cog reasoning and such.

Course i could be wrong.

What could be catagorized as "Wisdom" from other game systems is more covered in roleplaying, or if you need some guage, by how enlightened they are under the auspices of how far travelled they are along the path of the Perfected Lotus.  Otherwise, you can get a just plain silly Heptagtram prodigy who spends like a drunken sailor and is quite convinced of his own brilliance, and to prove it, wants to summon as many Demons as he possibly can, or a sagacious wine merchant who is not only frugal, but always on hand for good advice.

There is the default then to how strong a character's mind and resolve is by the guage of Willpower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back