• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Post apocalypse tag for role plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

SemiCylinder

A full cylinder would just be too much.
They aren't exactly fantasy, and futuristic gives the wrong idea. Post apocalypse games should get their own tag.

In my opinion, they could be categorized as a type of science fiction, horror, adventure, or other. There are plenty of other tags that I think suit the post apocalyptic theme. :)

Except they could be all that and none of it. A post-apocalyptic game could be plain survival, survival horror, futuristic... Hell, it could even be a fantasy game. Who says all the post-apocalypse games have to be set in a time past real life present? Or a humorous comedy even.

So yes, I believe a post-apocalypse tag is in order *woof*

Post-apocalyptic roleplays would go under Modern or Futuristic. It's not entirely necessary for it to have its own tag, as the things that define a post-apocalyptic setting fit better under the existing tags.

EDIT: some examples. World War Z is post-apocalyptic, but it is a Realistic setting. I Am Legend is the same thing. War of the Worlds is post-apocalyptic, but it is Futuristic. World of Darkness can be considered apocalyptic, but it can belong in any of the three, depending upon how it is played. Earthdawn is post-apocalyptic, but it belongs in Fantasy.

Even though these settings and stories all follow the tropes of a post-apocalyptic setting, they all fit better into other settings. There's really no need to clutter things up with more tags when games that fall under this new tag fit better in another one.

As well, Modern is being broadened soon to be Realistic. That will open up a lot more things to fit into the category.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inquisitor said:
Post-apocalyptic roleplays would go under Modern or Futuristic. It's not entirely necessary for it to have its own tag, as the things that define a post-apocalyptic setting fit better under the existing tags.
EDIT: some examples. World War Z is post-apocalyptic, but it is a Realistic setting. I Am Legend is the same thing. War of the Worlds is post-apocalyptic, but it is Futuristic. World of Darkness can be considered apocalyptic, but it can belong in any of the three, depending upon how it is played. Earthdawn is post-apocalyptic, but it belongs in Fantasy.

Even though these settings and stories all follow the tropes of a post-apocalyptic setting, they all fit better into other settings. There's really no need to clutter things up with more tags when games that fall under this new tag fit better in another one.

As well, Modern is being broadened soon to be Realistic. That will open up a lot more things to fit into the category.
This. (Also Modern is called Realistic now, that was meant to be done weeks ago but other news kind of made it so it was left behind).

Post-Apocalyptic is a genre definitely, but the real thing is that the genres we use aren't discussing the type of game. They are used as descriptors for what kind of world we are within in comparison to our reality.

So Fantasy is a reality that is more fantastic, more whimsical and has the more traditional elements within it that you know you are not grounded in anything that is like our reality and world at its core.

Futuristic is a reality that is far more advance technologically (typically) and possesses characteristics that we would associate with the future of our reality but such things are not the case now.

Realistic is a reality that is similar to our own. It might have some minor magic or creatures in it or even zombies trying to eat us, but the technology and the way of life we experience in this game is similar to the reality we all face in our real lives.

Post-Apocalyptic doesn't really do the same thing when its measured by that criteria. As I can say I am doing a Realistic Game, you know that you are going to play a businessman. If I say a Futuristic Game, you can expect a cyborg or a spaceman. If I say a a Fantasy Game, you are thinking Wizards, Knights and possibly terrifying monsters.

When I say Post-Apocalyptic, that's not enough. It definitely gives me an idea that the reality has gone to shit. But which reality? What reality has taken a turn for the worse, is it our own or is it another? What is this life like, is it still similar to ours where we have to worry about resources and warfare, or is it a fantasy apocalypse with angels and dragons? The title doesn't answer the same questions so unless we change the entire genre system, it probably won't be included at this time.

Though we are trying to get Thread Tags in the works, so Post-Apocalyptic can be a sub-genre/tag..

Edit - The title of Modern has been changed to Realistic by request and moderator discussions because "Realistic" also includes"historical" in the sense of actually historical roleplay settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back